Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So the Roman guy is the one who sold the cockroaches to Cassius who then, presumably, either let them lose or lost control over them because he's daddy's spoiled little fuckup?

Sentinel Red posted:

20 years from now, Fitz runs SHIELD and crashes through walls shirtless on a fuckin’ rocketbike because he is the true heir to Fury. What a fuckin’ guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mymla posted:

I never really thought season 1 was bad. I rolled my eyes a bit while I watched the first episode, because it literally smelled of whedon, but other than that it was mostly just an average TV show as opposed to a bad one.

Probably helped that I binge watched it after season 2 had started instead of watching it weekly and shitposting on SA about it.

It wasn't just watching it weekly is the problem, the scheduled was horrific, it was more like:

2 episodes
- week break
3 episodes
- three week break
2 episodes
- two week break
5 episodes
- two week break

It just kept going on and on like that so it took FOREVER. Now, I realize in hindsight they moved too quickly and desperately needed to slow the show down to sync it with Winter Soldier. It's a narrative trick that hurt it in the ratings and reputation forever, but if you stuck with it, had a huge payoff. But those delays... man, it did make it painful.

Pretty much every problem I had with the early show itself, sans maybe the first couple episodes, honestly ended up being turned into a strength, which is one hell of a writing magic trick to pull off. There's some sharp people behind the show's planning, and I can't get mad at them for putting narrative ideas ahead of sales even if I really do wish this show was secure for like 4 more seasons at this rate. It's not showing any signs of running out of gas and honestly feels like they've swapped to jet fuel instead.

I feel funny comparing a genre show like this to masterpieces like Breaking Bad, but that is the only other show coming to mind where it actually kept improving on itself. It's a rare beast.

ED: I admitted I was doubting the space setting for the first couple episodes but man, this arc is really up there with my favorites now.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 10, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

It wasn't just watching it weekly is the problem, the scheduled was horrific, it was more like:

2 episodes
- week break
3 episodes
- three week break
2 episodes
- two week break
5 episodes
- two week break

It just kept going on and on like that so it took FOREVER. Now, I realize in hindsight they moved too quickly and desperately needed to slow the show down to sync it with Winter Soldier. It's a narrative trick that hurt it in the ratings and reputation forever, but if you stuck with it, had a huge payoff. But those delays... man, it did make it painful.

Pretty much every problem I had with the early show itself, sans maybe the first couple episodes, honestly ended up being turned into a strength, which is one hell of a writing magic trick to pull off. There's some sharp people behind the show's planning, and I can't get mad at them for putting narrative ideas ahead of sales even if I really do wish this show was secure for like 4 more seasons at this rate. It's not showing any signs of running out of gas and honestly feels like they've swapped to jet fuel instead.

I feel funny comparing a genre show like this to masterpieces like Breaking Bad, but that is the only other show coming to mind where it actually kept improving on itself. It's a rare beast.

ED: I admitted I was doubting the space setting for the first couple episodes but man, this arc is really up there with my favorites now.

Person of Interest is probably the only other show that made the transition to warp speed and just kept improving each successive season. Fortunately Nolan and crew not only saw season 5 being the final order, they anticipated it being a short order (13 episodes only) and managed to conclude the over arching plot.

Personally I rank PoI higher than AoS, but AoS is up there as one of my all time favs.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Dexo posted:

I still think Fringe is peak Genre show.

But AOS is in the same conversation now at least.

Fringe was great, it’s survival was nothing short of a miracle.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

That's... not her name...

LividLiquid posted:

Season 1 was poo poo-awful when it aired up until Winter Soldier, when it immediately grew its beard by revealing that it had actually had one the whole time.

But going back and rewatching now that I know and like the characters and understand them and they're my TV buddies, Season 1 is just fine. It just didn't give us a lot to chew on at first and that amazingly terrible second episode was really offputting.

I think you've summed it up perfectly.

I'm glad I stuck the first season out, my wife had given up on it and didn't believe me that things got better after Winter Soldier. It's one of her favorite shows to watch as a couple now.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

IIRC the Fox director of programming at the time was a huge fan and more or less kept it alive so she could keep watching it

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's surprising to me just how much of a grudge people hold over the first season. Not in this thread obviously, but whenever AoS gets mentioned elsewhere, you can rely on at least 2 or 3 people to chime in saying they're so mad about S1 that they don't care if it's the best show ever now they'll never watch it again. I think S1 killed a bunch of goon's parents or something.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'll admit that season 1 was more of a pity watch for me, something I watched with my wife and daughters because they liked it. Much like Once Upon a Time. I mean I enjoyed them both on some level; like I find it impossible to care about Arrow and the Flash and a few other shows they like. And I did wish at first this had a little more integration with the MCU, but it's so good now that I'm not sure that would even help at all.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I watched S1 on Blu-ray before watching up on S2 live. For this reason, I liked S1.

I love the little nods to the greater MCU and that's why I started watching it in the first place. It wasn't until Winter Solder that I was like "crap, why aren't we watching that show?" but it was too late and we had to wait until it was out on Blu-ray to catch up because we didn't have any of the streaming services at the time.

I believe if we had watched S1 as it aired, its weird scheduling would have made me angry for having so many breaks.

Edit: I haven't watched any season of Once Upon a Time other than the first one. I really liked the first season, but after that, it was like "yep, everybody knows they are fairy tale characters now" and that was the hook I liked. When only Rumpelstiltskin and the Evil Queen knew what was up, pairing it with the fairy tale world flashbacks, it was a mystery. People were subconsciously filling roles that matched their fairy tale counterparts. It was fun trying to figure out who was who (like Jiminy Cricket). Didn't seem very interesting after that.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 10, 2018

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aleph Null posted:

I believe if we had watched S1 as it aired, its weird scheduling would have made me angry for having so many breaks.

The first season of Agents of SHIELD benefits immeasurably from a) being binge watched and b) knowing that they’re building towards something. All of the tired tropes, redundant hackneyed characters, and boring episodic bits only really work in retrospect, once you realize they were establishing a boring, run-of-the-mill status quo so that they could completely subvert it. It’s a show that rewards your faith in it, but, unfortunately, asks you to have faith in it a bit too early to have properly earned it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mymla posted:

I never really thought season 1 was bad. I rolled my eyes a bit while I watched the first episode, because it literally smelled of whedon, but other than that it was mostly just an average TV show as opposed to a bad one.

Probably helped that I binge watched it after season 2 had started instead of watching it weekly and shitposting on SA about it.
I think the low of the series is Daisy doing a "He's standing right behind me isn't he?" joke in 2012

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, I didn't start catching up on the show until early season 2 was airing, so I binged all of season 1 in about a week and I didn't see a lot of the problems people were talking about. At a super fast binge pace like that, season 1 is actually pretty enjoyable. But if I had to wait a couple weeks between those episodes, I agree the pacing would've been a lot more frustrating.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I binged S1 and the worst I could say about it was that it was kind of a generic, by the numbers procedural. And yeah, as said a lot of that "generic" stuff turns out to be subtle foreshadowing and red herrings that actually really impress after the Winter Soldier twist.

The rub is that I was kind of committed to watching the show because I was into the overall MCU thing. If it had been a stand alone show I definitely could have seen myself dropping it early on as something that just didn't do anything to stand out from the pack. But for better or worse they always did have that MCU hook to give them an edge over the competition.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I binged S1 and the worst I could say about it was that it was kind of a generic, by the numbers procedural. And yeah, as said a lot of that "generic" stuff turns out to be subtle foreshadowing and red herrings that actually really impress after the Winter Soldier twist.

The rub is that I was kind of committed to watching the show because I was into the overall MCU thing. If it had been a stand alone show I definitely could have seen myself dropping it early on as something that just didn't do anything to stand out from the pack. But for better or worse they always did have that MCU hook to give them an edge over the competition.

Are you still committed to watching all MCU related media? Like Runaways?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I binged S1 and the worst I could say about it was that it was kind of a generic, by the numbers procedural.

With very little to back myself up on this beyond gut feeling, I really do think this was what ABC wanted from the show. It was supposed to be their answer to NCIS, and it just was not that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

howe_sam posted:

With very little to back myself up on this beyond gut feeling, I really do think this was what ABC wanted from the show. It was supposed to be their answer to NCIS, and it just was not that.

Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me and it was basically my impression when I was watching those episodes. And that's not totally my thing so I could definitely see how I might have quit the show if I hadn't had the MCU hook and Winter Soldier foreknowledge to keep me engaged.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Eh, yes and no? I HAVE watched all the MCU stuff besides Runaways and really was just waiting for that to finish so I could binge it and its on my short list. But like I watch the MCU stuff because I enjoy it. That's different from when SHIELD started and the universe was smaller and I just felt like it was all part of the same thing so I should give it all a chance. Now there's so much of it and its so far removed from each other that there's not really a "commitment" for the most part.

I mean its weird. If I didn't like Iron Fist do I feel "committed" to watching it to follow Defenders and that continuity? Yeah. If I didn't like Guardians Vol 2 would I still feel "committed" to watch it to follow Infinity War and the main MCU? Probably. But like at this stage its clear you can treat the Netflix, movies, and individual shows as largely separate things and just watch what you enjoy.

So if it turns out Runaways sucks and I want to stop watching it I will because I doubt it means poo poo to the rest of the MCU. But I am a fan of the MCU so I'd probably give Runaways a chance even if I wasn't a fan of the comic.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, I didn't start catching up on the show until early season 2 was airing, so I binged all of season 1 in about a week and I didn't see a lot of the problems people were talking about. At a super fast binge pace like that, season 1 is actually pretty enjoyable. But if I had to wait a couple weeks between those episodes, I agree the pacing would've been a lot more frustrating.

Wow, that's exactly my experience. I mean my standards are low anyway so I would've gone back to it even if I had picked it up not in the middle of season 3 but still. I wanted to watch it in the first place because I certainly wasn't gonna start reading comic books and I didn't really know much about Marvel beyond Spider-Man, some X-Men, Galactus, Fantastic Four, Hellboy- basically if it had a movie that was probably it. Even that awful Doctor Strange animated movie from like 2007. So hey, Marvel live action show, sure why not? And I just managed to get in when the rough awful part was just a smooth slide down instead of a jerky rollercoaster ride upwards.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I haven't missed anything Marvel related. The only thing that failed me on TV was Inhumans, but i finished it the other day.

I have zero complaints about the MCU or Marvelflix.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inhumans was a dud. Iron Fist was iffy and Defenders had a deflating third act. I never fully got into Agent Carter, but it was fun. Movie wise Incredible Hulk, Thor 2, and Iron Man 3 were probably the closest to ones I didn't like.

But yeah, for the most part I've just enjoyed most of the MCU but as it keeps getting bigger and bigger it stands to reason that there's going to be more stuff that flops or just isn't for me.

To me its less an obligation or a commitment as it is that like I'm not really a Fantasy or Sci Fi fan so if Thor or Guardians of the Galaxy weren't part of the MCU its hit or miss on whether I would have seen them. Maybe I would have but they might just have gotten lost in the excess of options out there. But the MCU hook just gives an extra motivator to bump it up my watch list.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is Runaways even in the MCU continuity? There’s been literally nothing in the show so far to tie it in. In fact, the Staff of One and Tina Minoru having nothing to do with sorcery or Doctor Strange would seem to place it outside the MCU.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think we're at the stage where everything is officially in the same shared universe but everyone is staying in their own lane so they're like 99% stand alone.

Well, "everything" done directly by Marvel but now with the Fox sale and the weird Spider-Man deal with Sony we might be headed towards EVERYTHING eventually.

I remember reading there's some continuity conflict with Nico's mom being a background character in Strange, but I assume that can just be chalked up to "we weren't thinking that far ahead, forget it, there's two people with the same name." But I haven't started Runaways yet so I don't know. Maybe I'll start that tonight.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 11, 2018

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

I think we're at the stage where everything is officially in the same shared universe but everyone is staying in their own lane so they're like 99% stand alone.

Well, "everything" done directly by Marvel but now with the Fox sale and the weird Spider-Man deal with Sony we might be headed towards EVERYTHING eventually.

I remember reading there's some continuity conflict with Nico's mom being a background character in Strange, but I assume that can just be chalked up to "we weren't thinking that far ahead, forget it, there's two people with the same name." But I haven't started Runaways yet so I don't know. Maybe I'll start that tonight.

Runaways.
Tina runs a company called "WIZARD" instead of being a wizard. The magic staff isn't magic but science that responds to her DNA.
I liked Runaways even though I'm 25 years older than the target demo.
It's getting a second season.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think both Runaways and Shield, if it's renewed, will really benefit from getting the Fox stuff back.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

STAC Goat posted:

Iron Fist was iffy

Iron Fist was trash.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Inhumans was a dud.

I don't think this quite covers it. More along the lines of...say...the sound you hear when a particularly loose and sloppy poo poo splashes in the water and sprays poo poo all over the bowl.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

I think both Runaways and Shield, if it's renewed, will really benefit from getting the Fox stuff back.

Can they even utilize the Fox stuff that soon? I keep seeing reports that say not to expect anything to be rolled in before 2020.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

I don't think this quite covers it. More along the lines of...say...the sound you hear when a particularly loose and sloppy poo poo splashes in the water and sprays poo poo all over the bowl.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Mraagvpeine posted:

You'll never guess what happened in the latest episode! They ran away.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Iron Fist was trash.

It suffered from trying to be mysterious and not being 100% wushu instead, along with a main character whose actor was terrible at stunts. He's been training though, so there's going to be at least some improvement for season 2. Yes. There's going to be a season 2.

Inhumans was terrible though.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Proteus Jones posted:

Person of Interest is probably the only other show that made the transition to warp speed and just kept improving each successive season. Fortunately Nolan and crew not only saw season 5 being the final order, they anticipated it being a short order (13 episodes only) and managed to conclude the over arching plot.

Personally I rank PoI higher than AoS, but AoS is up there as one of my all time favs.

PoI deserves credit for starting off as a good but somewhat unremarkable action show and ending up as pure science fiction, I think it is a great show but the first two seasons are a little slow.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Oasx posted:

PoI deserves credit for starting off as a good but somewhat unremarkable action show and ending up as pure science fiction, I think it is a great show but the first two seasons are a little slow.

It's another show where you realize they knew what they were building up to all along, but, yeah, it was a tough start.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Iron Fist was trash.

I have a more positive take on it than most. Like, I agree with most of the flaws but where most people seem really put off by Danny's characterization I actually kind of appreciate what they were trying to do with him as a naive idealist who frustrates all the adults but also kind of inspires them to be better. Plus I had no expectations going in so wasn't bothered that it didn't meet my idea of Iron Fist. I'm also not someone who really watches fighting choreography with a critical eye so any failings in that department didn't really affect me.

All that being said its still a mess of a story that suffers from weak villains and their story not really making a lot of sense. My basic opinion is that Marvel slept on "The Defenders" while making DD S1, JJ, and Luke Cage and once they realized they didn't really have a plan on how to bring these characters together they really rushed the story through DD S2 and IF to try and set up Defenders. But it was a weak, poorly written story that didn't really work for Defenders and dragged those other two series down. DD S2 has more going on so it survives that but IF just kind of feels like a weak prologue to Defenders at worst and an "iffy" introduction of Danny at best. I just tend to lean towards the positive take.

I didn't like Inhumans at all. Like, not even the way I'll defend elements of Iron Fist and say I mostly enjoyed it. Inhumans sucked and I really would struggle to say much good about it. But like, I don't really get angry or worked about this stuff or get anything out of colorful imagery ripping into it. Inhumans was just a show I started binging some weekend, really didn't like it, and ended up finishing watching it in the background over the next week or two. In the big picture I probably wish I had made better use of my time but its not the first or last bad show I'll do that with.

In general I'm just not someone you're likely to see really ripping into a show. "Dud" is probably an 8 or 9 on my bad meter. Because really, most things I genuinely hate are things I just don't watch.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Can they even utilize the Fox stuff that soon? I keep seeing reports that say not to expect anything to be rolled in before 2020.

Maybe. Depends on when they bring AoS back, if they do. If it's later in the year, they probably can use some things. But season 3 Runaways would probably be when Xavin shows up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

Maybe. Depends on when they bring AoS back, if they do. If it's later in the year, they probably can use some things. But season 3 Runaways would probably be when Xavin shows up.

They can already use Skrulls.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well they can but they're gonna be important in Captain Marvel so its probably not as easy as them being available rightswise.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

STAC Goat posted:

I have a more positive take on it than most. Like, I agree with most of the flaws but where most people seem really put off by Danny's characterization I actually kind of appreciate what they were trying to do with him as a naive idealist who frustrates all the adults but also kind of inspires them to be better.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to stop you right there, buddy.

Remember the first episode when Danny, wandering New York shoeless and clueless, meets a homeless guy in the park? The guy is super friendly and tells Danny not to worry about all the people out there who would look down on people like them because they're fools.

Danny replies, "Yes, they would have to be fools to think I am anything like you."

Despite this, the second time Danny meets this guy in the park, he's managed to get some fresh wraps from a friendly restaurant and offers Danny half of his food and even a place to stay in his tent if he needs it. He even offers Danny some shoes, because Danny's walking about New York barefoot. Ew.

I mean, this guy is a loving saint. But, Danny again blows him off and acts too good to bother with a mere bum.

The third time we see the guy, he's dead. Overdosed on drugs with the implication that Danny has just loving destroyed this poor man so badly and taken away the last shreds of his self worth, that he felt there was nothing left to live for.

Danny Rand is trash.

And stupid.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 12, 2018

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Holy poo poo, the first time where he's like "They think we're the same" was about where I stopped watching the show. (Ok, it was actually after the slow-mo cgi flip over the cab and I just couldn't care) but they actually kept up with him being a piece of poo poo, huh?

Did they make it at least so that he got better after this or nah?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
He's a self absorbed spoiled rich kid who the show treats like he's loving Caine from Kung Fu.

He literally never stops making stupid decisions. He even gets the mystical city which trained him wiped out purely through the power of his own stupidity, which is almost impressive.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Yeah I think I liked Iron Fist more than most people seemed to (I thought it was sort of OK overall) but Danny is terrible throughout. Mostly I liked Claire and Colleen. Also the fight with the drunken master guy was pretty good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Colleen was the best part of IF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

I liked the evolving interactions between Ward and Harold best. Zany!