Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

SalTheBard posted:

Why does Kitamaru look like he's in black face.

Never mind that, why is Tenzan repping Maryland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I subbed to NJPW on the hype of Wrestle Kingdom, loved it, and I've been watching the 2017 G1 tournament since then. It has been amazing.

The issue I've had since then is that for the last 3 nights running I've had nightmares about Minoru Suzuki stalking, harassing, terrorizing, and/or beating me into oblivion. It's really hosed up, and I haven't had a good night's sleep in a few days. I wish I was kidding.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DangerDummy! posted:

I subbed to NJPW on the hype of Wrestle Kingdom, loved it, and I've been watching the 2017 G1 tournament since then. It has been amazing.

The issue I've had since then is that for the last 3 nights running I've had nightmares about Minoru Suzuki stalking, harassing, terrorizing, and/or beating me into oblivion. It's really hosed up, and I haven't had a good night's sleep in a few days. I wish I was kidding.

That's normal. We all get that.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

That's normal. We all get that.

The first one was the only really weird one. I was investigating a high end jelly and candle boutique that was a front for a seedy brothel. I got too close and the owner/pimp sicced him on me. He was wearing that black fedora I've seen him wear and wielding a dull kitchen knife. He spoke in a broad Brooklyn accent.

Last night it was just him beating the poo poo out of me in a Home Depot. This is getting exhausting.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DangerDummy! posted:

Become a fan of Sakuraba he can protect you.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
Your next dream will find you booked into a match against Suzuki and unsuccessfully trying to convince Gedo you're not a worker.

"You don't understand, sir. I can't work!"
"No problem, we make it shoot! "

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

or embrace the greatest wrestling on the planet Yano Toru.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yano Toru is still stuck on DVD though when he really should be moving up to Blu Ray or an HD streaming service

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Just shout SUZUKI-GUN ICHIBAN!!! as loud as you can and run the other way. It's your only hope.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

coconono posted:

or embrace the greatest wrestling on the planet Yano Toru.

I just watched Toru Yano vs. Okada. He just might be my favorite person ever, and I have two children...

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yano is great because both he and Gedo know what purpose his character serves, and where he should be on the card, so they don't push him above a certain level or overexpose him. He just comes in, does his spots, gets his reactions and leaves.

It's exactly as much as the crowd wants any given night, and never more. I don't think he gets enough credit for striking that right comedy balance in an otherwise serious promotion.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yano is exactly where he needs to be at all times. He's confounded Minoru Suzuki and Kenny Omega into doing the stupidest poo poo imaginable. And possibly one the most impenetrable rollup pins in the history the business.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I was bummed that Yano vs Suzuki wasnt better. I thought that low-key had a chance to be at least an honorable mention for MOTY. Suzuki beating the poo poo out of Uano while he does everything he can to win because he's a tough soon of a bitch.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

DangerDummy! posted:

I just watched Toru Yano vs. Okada. He just might be my favorite person ever, and I have two children...

The moment Okada realizes he needs to wrap this up quickly because Yano has endless loving rollups that he can pull out of his rear end at any time and more dirty tricks than even Okada knew about is like my sixth favorite moment from the G1 last year.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The lowblow/rollup is almost like a protected finisher, and another reason why Yano's booking is perfect for his spot. Good comedy wrestling needs an easy hook for crowds to follow, so when the story becomes wrestlers trying to avoid that spot and not falling for Yano's trickery, it makes his matches way more compelling than they have any right to be.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DangerDummy! posted:

The good news is you've been personally chosen by Suzuki.

The bad news is you've been personally chosen by Suzuki.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The good news is you've been personally chosen by Suzuki.

The bad news is you've been personally chosen by Suzuki.

That’s a real cousin to Schroedinger’s Stone Cold Beer.

Also Yano vs SANADA at the G1 last year was amazing. The best part about Yano is apparently he also has a really good amateur background.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

harperdc posted:

That’s a real cousin to Schroedinger’s Stone Cold Beer.

Also Yano vs SANADA at the G1 last year was amazing. The best part about Yano is apparently he also has a really good amateur background.

Both SANADA and EVIL's matches were great because they showed it's incredibly easy to beat Yano if you don't fall into the trap of trying to match his bullshit, yet everyone still kept doing it.

My only complaint is they didn't leave Yano in the Paradise Lock on the entrance ramp for at least the entrances in the next match.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

So a combination of scheduling and personal stuff meant I missed going to Tokyo for WK :smith: but, as luck would have it, I’m free around the time of Dominion to take a holiday! :)

Does anyone know if it’s an easy show to get tickets for, if I’m arriving a week or two before the event?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

DangerDummy! posted:

The first one was the only really weird one. I was investigating a high end jelly and candle boutique that was a front for a seedy brothel. I got too close and the owner/pimp sicced him on me. He was wearing that black fedora I've seen him wear and wielding a dull kitchen knife. He spoke in a broad Brooklyn accent.

Last night it was just him beating the poo poo out of me in a Home Depot. This is getting exhausting.

I thought I had a nightmare where Suzuki dragged me through the Tokyo Dome, beating me senseless up and down the stands, through the hallways, and out onto the field where Meiko Satomura threw baseballs at us. Also Ladybeard was there. Then I realized that was no nightmare - it was an actual match he had with DDT last year.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yano Toru is still stuck on DVD though when he really should be moving up to Blu Ray or an HD streaming service

This coming March you can get the YTR Blu-Ray box set for the low, low price of 16,200 yen

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I have Yano's DVD. I got drunk at his bar and then he offered it to me and I bought it because I thought it'd be funny. It cost like US$40. He signed it and gave me some Yano bucks to go with my Okada bucks though tbf.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

St Evan Echoes posted:

So a combination of scheduling and personal stuff meant I missed going to Tokyo for WK :smith: but, as luck would have it, I’m free around the time of Dominion to take a holiday! :)

Does anyone know if it’s an easy show to get tickets for, if I’m arriving a week or two before the event?

Cheap seats should still be available. You'll want to go either through NJPW's website or, once you arrive in Japan, going to the ticket machines at one of the convenience stores. Check the link in the OP, I've written a bit about it previously. At the bare minimum, pulling up the NJPW ticket page on a smart phone and asking somebody at Lawson or Family Mart "Sumimasen, kochira no ibento ni chiketto ga kaitai desu kedo..." ("Excuse me, I want to buy tickets for this event...") and they may be able to take over from there. I do not advise that as a first strategy—having another friend who knows what they're doing is better—but there have been worse things done before.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Thank you friend :tipshat:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Buying the tickets through Lawsons own website is fairly straightforward and picking them up from the machine is simple even with no knowledge of Japanese. I did it for the Fan Festival and NOAH during WK week and I'm planning on doing it again for Dominion.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Yano is great and my dream is for him to end up in a match with Metalico and Police Man.

That won't happen but maybe, just maybe I'll get Kawato interacting with Police Man this year.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I came into this thread hoping to find a bunch of people pissed off at Jericho's attention over the Japanese guys but there's only a few and that's disappointing. Please be more petty in the future

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

What is the conversion rate of yano bucks to okada bucks? :thunk:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aesop Poprock posted:

I came into this thread hoping to find a bunch of people pissed off at Jericho's attention over the Japanese guys but there's only a few and that's disappointing. Please be more petty in the future

Sorry, how many times do you want me to use the words "real puro"?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

dromal phrenia posted:

What is the conversion rate of yano bucks to okada bucks? :thunk:

surely Okada causes Mansa Musa style hyperinflation and devaluation of his currency every time he makes his entrance?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Strong Style Society is the same guy who tried to harass Chuck and Trent and is a big homophobe as well, right?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

gaijins gonna arbitrate what "true puroesu" is?

coconono fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 12, 2018

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

$10 says that assuredly fedora-clad dude regularly uses the word "bushido"

Takuan
May 6, 2007

So, is someone else gonna tell that dude about the long history of big drawing gaijin-vs-gaijin spectacles across every major promotion, or should I?

Edit: I bet that guy cried when he found out Tanahashi had Inoki's portrait taken down from the New Japan Dojo.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Okada has taken the pants ON TOUR
https://twitter.com/mixcat_gu/status/951839713958141952

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I was digging back through the thread to try to find the Fantasicamania show dates, and I saw this shirt again and I've come to the conclusion that this shirt is cooler than Jay White even though the shirt isn't even really that cool.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Goddamn I want an EVIL shirt in the Stranger Things font.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

Goddamn I want an EVIL shirt in the Stranger Things font.

EVIL THINGS

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Gaz-L posted:

EVIL THINGS

Updated list of things that are Evil, according to EVIL:

• Everything
  • All of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L