Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
The Ultrasharps are Dell's top tier. The S-series are a cut below: they're perfectly fine for most people, and often at a decent savings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Killer_B posted:

Regarding Dells - Are Ultrasharps generally recommended over their other offerings?

Saw a deal for one of their S-class models, a S2316m for $99 each :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...79-35635ebc12d6

Wasn't sure if this was particularly recommended or not, minus the lower color gamut compared to the more recent Ultrasharps, but seems decent overall.

Was thinking about a cheaper monitor for a dual setup, would this be a horrible choice? (Aside from not getting Dell support obviously in this case)

I have one of the 22" versions of that (slightly different stand from a couple of years ago but seems like probably the same panel). It's very bright and looks good, but does use PWM for backlight dimming so if you're sensitive to any flickering it may be worth going with the ultrasharp. That said, it was perfectly fine for me. You'll find those IPS panels with the very small bezels from a bunch of manufacturers and the 5 or 6 Dells and 1 Viewsonic I've seen in person look great. I think AOC also sells them. It will depend on the manufacturer but for the Dell and Viewsonic they don't have VESA mounting holes. Wasn't an issue for me but if you ever want to use monitor arms or stands it's worth noting.

I believe tftcentral found that the input lag for those monitors was pretty low, so they're good for gaming (at 60 FPS 1080p anyway). The review I looked at was this one. Obviously it's not the same size panel but it's likely the same manufacturer and interface and design since they all have those easy to spot small bezels:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_s2440l.htm

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Elentor posted:

I alt-tab constantly multiple times per match and it can be pretty annoying over time. Between 1-3 seconds and a few milliseconds of delay there's no reason to choose the former.

Also, alt-tabbing crashes a lot in fullscreen mode and that has been the case ever since... well, probably ever, I don't think that's ever not been the case with games. I'm almost sure borderless windowed exists purely to address that issue. If you type in "alt tab fullscreen crash" on google you'll see 700k or so results ranging all the way back to 2002. Giving full priority of the game in exclusive mode means that if anything happens with the driver during gameplay you'll have trouble getting back to windows depending on the case. Not sure that's still the case but there was a time Unity even warned you against allowing exclusive mode because of alt-tab crash when you were adjusting your game settings.

..btt posted:

With borderless windowed the app is basically just a window like any other, but set to always on top and no window decorations. This has the disadvantage of having to interact properly with the OS's windowing system so performance can be a little worse (or much worse, in some instances) but that is also the advantage. Alt+tab does not require that the window is minimised, you can overlay other programs on top of your window, sometimes it interacts better with other applications running on other monitors, etc. Being able to move your mouse outside the window is generally a positive thing if the game has a cursor, and if not, mouse capture is trivial, generally taking a single API call. Think games like Civilisation or Diablo-likes where you might want to interact with a web page on your other monitor while still being able to see what's going on.

The fact that some programs are poorly coded and don't deal well with context switches such as alt+tab when running in fullscreen (exclusive) mode is essentially an unintended side-effect, and not really intrinsic. It's just poorly written code - unfortunately quite common in games and certain game engines!

Regarding the crashing/instability, I'm aware that some games are problematic, but the vast majority of games work fine when alt-tabbing.

The mouse capture is an issue in RTS games in particular, where you normally move the cursor to the edge to scroll.

Other than that, what I'm getting from you guys is that the modes change how the applications act when using Alt+Tab, which I can see as being an asset depending on what you're trying to do.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Atomizer posted:

Other than that, what I'm getting from you guys is that the modes change how the applications act when using Alt+Tab, which I can see as being an asset depending on what you're trying to do.

My post was kinda about how it wasn't just changing what happens when you alt+tab. Also, I can't imagine how it would be an asset to have a program minimise/maybe crash when you alt+tab. I guess you only have one monitor and that's why you're super focused on the alt+tab behaviour!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atomizer posted:

but the vast majority of games work fine when alt-tabbing.

For you. Things vary wildly depending on what softwares you have open (since they have to be reinitialized, and some hardware-accelerated software downright need a restart even if nothing crashes, so it's impossible to casually use them while playing a game since their viewport will stop working the moment something enters exclusive mode), your gear, the settings of the game, how frequently you're changing windows and what's the behavior of the other stuff you have open, not just the game.

Atomizer posted:

This doesn't make any sense. Exclusive mode gives an app, as the name implies, exclusivity in the video card. There are several limitations that come with that (some that even impair the functionality of certain low level code, ironically enough) and several features that depend on that (most injectors like ReShade need exclusive mode I believe), but unless you consider "possible memory leak" an asset, there's really nothing positive about switching applications with it.

Killer_B posted:

Regarding Dells - Are Ultrasharps generally recommended over their other offerings?

I've had one for 3-4 years and only recently switched and I really liked it. It was sturdy, had a great image quality and was just a great panel overall. The people I know who've had experience with Ultrasharps seem to echo my sentiment. My only nitpick about it would be that my model had a very strong anti-glare coating but from what I read it has been tuned down a lot over the years.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
AFAIK, since the Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update fullscreen exclusive mode isn't actually fullscreen exclusive anymore unless you go out of your way to run the program in question in some obscure compatibility mode. It looks and performs mostly like fullscreen exclusive but it's actually a borderless window controlled by the desktop compositor. DX12 doesn't have a true fullscreen exclusive mode either as far as I'm aware. It's kind of a legacy feature at this point.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Any recommendations on a decent 27" or 24" monitor with DisplayPort? It will be mainly used for basic ms office software, like Excel and Outlook.

I have been looking at the dell ultrasharp U2715H, but it is kind of pricey. The U2414H is within budget, just wanted to check if you guys had any other candidates.

I am hooking up a Microsoft Surface Book to the monitor, which is already kind of insanely expensive, therefore trying to cut down on the monitor cost.

(This is for the company I work at, not private)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

TheFluff posted:

AFAIK, since the Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update fullscreen exclusive mode isn't actually fullscreen exclusive anymore unless you go out of your way to run the program in question in some obscure compatibility mode.

There's still at least some sort of special sauce involved, because ESO (my current game of choice) refuses to enable GSync when set to FSW, but happily enables it when set to normal Fullscreen. Then again, Bethesda, so who the gently caress knows what's going on inside that engine.

As to the questions of why people like FSW, it's absolutely lovely for playing MMOs or games like Civ6 where it's real nice to be able to just zip over to your other monitor to poke at a website, youtube, Discord, or whatever else. Yeah, alt-tab usually works, but it's enormously faster and easier to not have to, plus sometimes you're trying to actually look at both the reference site and your game at the same time, which you simply can't do if you're relying on alt-tab.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Miguel Prado posted:

Any recommendations on a decent 27" or 24" monitor with DisplayPort? It will be mainly used for basic ms office software, like Excel and Outlook.

I have been looking at the dell ultrasharp U2715H, but it is kind of pricey. The U2414H is within budget, just wanted to check if you guys had any other candidates.

I am hooking up a Microsoft Surface Book to the monitor, which is already kind of insanely expensive, therefore trying to cut down on the monitor cost.

(This is for the company I work at, not private)

Not sure how good it is, but if you want to keep the cost down: https://www.techbargains.com/deal/445916/lenovo-l24q-monitor

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheFluff posted:

AFAIK, since the Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update fullscreen exclusive mode isn't actually fullscreen exclusive anymore unless you go out of your way to run the program in question in some obscure compatibility mode. It looks and performs mostly like fullscreen exclusive but it's actually a borderless window controlled by the desktop compositor. DX12 doesn't have a true fullscreen exclusive mode either as far as I'm aware. It's kind of a legacy feature at this point.

I have the Fall Creator's Update and while Alt-tab is noticeably faster in exclusive mode, I still have the same issues I always had before, including with viewports losing connection with DX.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

FyreStar posted:

Good question. I presume that table has a rim on the underside? If so, then it depends on how big that rim is. The underside clamp isn't as big as on the top side, and you have some wiggle room in terms of aligning it. Here's a couple images of one of mine:
From side
From below with measure
If the rim is thin, then it should work fine. That table also looks pretty light, so give some thought to whether it'd stay stable with a display on an arm. Normal use shouldn't be an issue, but if you grab it and swing it around off the edge of the table, you might tip the table.

Thank you v much for taking and posting those

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Undesirable behaviors from pubg in fullscreen mode in Windows 10:

Minimizes when I alt-tab.

Mutes its audio.

Crashes 25% of the time.

All fixed by windowed mode.

These are typical problems with fullscreen games in my experience.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
Are there still issue with Displayport cables and pin 20?

Connecting a GTX 1070 to a Dell U2715H and the Accell cable I bought (specifically because it was on the approved cables list) started to flicker on/off after a week.

A local retailer stocks Startech but old forum posts say their cables are no good?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Set-up a refurbished AW3418DW last night and while having no gamma control sucks it's still a holy poo poo monitor. Almost no blacklight bleed, no dead pixels, and no noticeable artifacting at 120 hz.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

oliveoil posted:

Are there any good gaming g-sync monitors in 4K that DON'T have anti-glare coating? I suspect that I get headaches from looking at the anti-glare coating on my new one of these: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/asus-rog-swift-pg27a-monitor,review-4362.html

I don't get headaches from my macbook pro with its glossy display, but I got headaches when reading on my previous monitor, which was some 21.5'' thing that also had anti-glare coating. So I'm wondering if the problem is anti-glare coating, as the OP mentioned it might cause headaches in some people.

Quoting for new page.

Am I the only one who wants to avoid anti-glare coating?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any good recommendations for cheap gaming monitors around $200?

I currently have a widescreen toshiba monitor but it is very annoying to work on and lots of games you have to dick around to make the widescreen work(some don't work at all in wide).

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

oliveoil posted:

Are there any good gaming g-sync monitors in 4K that DON'T have anti-glare coating?

No. Some guy on Hardforum managed to successfully peel of the ag coating from a 4k Gysnc display but I don't recommend it after trying to do this on an old monitor I had lying around.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

..btt posted:

My post was kinda about how it wasn't just changing what happens when you alt+tab. Also, I can't imagine how it would be an asset to have a program minimise/maybe crash when you alt+tab. I guess you only have one monitor and that's why you're super focused on the alt+tab behaviour!

Nah, I've got multiple monitors. I understand how if your needs were different you could benefit from the different fullscreen/windowed modes, but windowed does nothing for me, and like I said I don't run anything that crashes at the drop of an Alt+Tab.

Elentor posted:

For you. Things vary wildly depending on what softwares you have open (since they have to be reinitialized, and some hardware-accelerated software downright need a restart even if nothing crashes, so it's impossible to casually use them while playing a game since their viewport will stop working the moment something enters exclusive mode), your gear, the settings of the game, how frequently you're changing windows and what's the behavior of the other stuff you have open, not just the game.

This doesn't make any sense. Exclusive mode gives an app, as the name implies, exclusivity in the video card. There are several limitations that come with that (some that even impair the functionality of certain low level code, ironically enough) and several features that depend on that (most injectors like ReShade need exclusive mode I believe), but unless you consider "possible memory leak" an asset, there's really nothing positive about switching applications with it.

All I can say is that I apparently don't have nearly as difficult a time running software in Windows as you have! :shrug:

Thermopyle posted:

Undesirable behaviors from pubg in fullscreen mode in Windows 10:

Minimizes when I alt-tab.

Mutes its audio.

Crashes 25% of the time.

All fixed by windowed mode.

These are typical problems with fullscreen games in my experience.

I was going to ask, in response to the above posters, for them to name me some games that are problematic when switching from fullscreen, and then I could probably name ten other games that are fine for each one they could come up with; ultimately it doesn't matter though because if I'm not running those games then I really don't give a poo poo.

On the other hand, I totally believe your PUBG experiences, yet of course PUBG is a pretty notorious example of a game that's neither well-coded, well-optimized, nor well-behaved.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
What's the go to for a gaming 1080p? Would like to keep it under $300. Looking to drive it with a GTX 1060.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

What's the go to for a gaming 1080p? Would like to keep it under $300. Looking to drive it with a GTX 1060.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HSD6CBC/?tag=pcpapi-20 refurbed

or the same thing new for $350. 24 inch/144hz/gsync

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Atomizer posted:

I was going to ask, in response to the above posters, for them to name me some games that are problematic when switching from fullscreen

I can't think of any game that doesn't minimise when interacting with other programs when set to fullscreen exclusive mode, so for me: all of them. I don't have two monitors to only use one at a time!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ive never heard of fullscreen exclusive mode but does it basically mean the computer will force the game to remain open on that screen so i can multi task in others without fuckery?

to the benefit of increased framerates possibly?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
"Exclusive" is just what true "fullscreen" is generally called by the Windows APIs. It does generally provide slightly higher framerates but, as we've been discussing, has a number of drawbacks and is apparently being deprecated at the moment.

Generally games refer to that mode as "fullscreen", as opposed to "borderless windowed" or "fullscreen windowed" or similar.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Statutory Ape posted:

ive never heard of fullscreen exclusive mode but does it basically mean the computer will force the game to remain open on that screen so i can multi task in others without fuckery?

to the benefit of increased framerates possibly?

That's the opposite of what fullscreen exclusive mode does.

Games that allow you to control it usually have options called "fullscreen", "windowed" and "windowed borderless". The last mimics full screen but, amongst other things, doesn't minimize the game when you're in something else.

Fortnite is another offender for me.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 12, 2018

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Exclusive mode seems to have some limitations for certain games as well. Like Diablo 3 has trouble finding my resolution at 3440x1440 and same for Warframe unless I use borderless window mode.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

..btt posted:

"Exclusive" is just what true "fullscreen" is generally called by the Windows APIs. It does generally provide slightly higher framerates but, as we've been discussing, has a number of drawbacks and is apparently being deprecated at the moment.

Generally games refer to that mode as "fullscreen", as opposed to "borderless windowed" or "fullscreen windowed" or similar.

It's odd that they are trying to get rid of the only mode that doesn't have diagonal screen tearing they introduced with W10 (or 8 for some people) for laptops with Nvidia Optimus.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Sininu posted:

It's odd that they are trying to get rid of the only mode that doesn't have diagonal screen tearing they introduced with W10 (or 8 for some people) for laptops with Nvidia Optimus.

I suppose the intent is that people optimise their poo poo (drivers and apps) better for non-exclusive mode and you don't have to consider the trade-off of [slightly better framerates/g-sync support/no tearing on optimus] or proper multitasking.

No doubt the end result will actually be the worst of both worlds.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Okay so I got my new 144hz monitor, hooked it up, it's pretty. I downloaded the ICC profile referred to me a couple pages back, adjusted some things, got it looking good, went to play some OW. I can get through a match, maybe two, but then sometime around the third my comp will just shut off for no reason.... and then start up again.

I first had my 144hz and my 60hz dual-screening, but even unplugging the 60hz and going one monitor didn't help. I cleaned out my case, and my GPU temp only gets to like 73C when I'm playing Overwatch so I don't think the GPU is overheating...

It worked fine before I hooked this monitor up, any ideas how to address this? Could the ICC profile be doing it? I may try going to factory settings with it to see if that helps, but would love any other suggestions.

i7 + GTX970 if that matters, TIA

e: Monitor is a Dell S2417DG

OW looks gorgeous! I can't wait to play more than two matches without my comp shutting off!!!

black.lion fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 12, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

What power supply do you have?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

black.lion posted:

Okay so I got my new 144hz monitor, hooked it up, it's pretty. I downloaded the ICC profile referred to me a couple pages back, adjusted some things, got it looking good, went to play some OW. I can get through a match, maybe two, but then sometime around the third my comp will just shut off for no reason.... and then start up again.

I first had my 144hz and my 60hz dual-screening, but even unplugging the 60hz and going one monitor didn't help. I cleaned out my case, and my GPU temp only gets to like 73C when I'm playing Overwatch so I don't think the GPU is overheating...

It worked fine before I hooked this monitor up, any ideas how to address this? Could the ICC profile be doing it? I may try going to factory settings with it to see if that helps, but would love any other suggestions.

i7 + GTX970 if that matters, TIA

That is odd, a monitor should not be able to cause that. What type of i7 do you have? Also did you update Windows recently? I ask because the patches for the Meltdown/Spectre exploits is causing random crashes on Haswell CPUs, so if you updated around the same time you hooked up the monitor it could be that instead.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I was thinking maybe he's pushing more frames and poopin his psu :shrug:

Same poo poo would happen to me back in the day when i strapped a gpu too big for my psu's britches

E: also is this all haswell chips? I just set aside my old haswell machine to go to server duty, ffs

Worf fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 12, 2018

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

This happened before the update (the update has since downloaded and been applied to my comp, but whatever the prob is was there before my OS downloaded the update...)

PSU is 650W i think? The GPU is the same as it has been for years, tho since my fps is bouncing from 90-120 now instead of sitting at 60 I guess maybe it's just too much? But would that indicate it's too much for the GPU or PSU?

I've never even thought I had to consider my monitors when looking at PSU wattage, given they have their own power supply.

I think my CPU is haswell fwiw, but again, this was happening before the update/while it was downloading/and after

Googling said that if something is weird between the ICC/nvidia settings/windows resolution and display settings it can cause something similar, but if that's the thing I don't understand why it doesn't just poo poo itself when I load the game up instead of mid-match or as a new map is loading.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

My 5 year old monitor (a cheapish acer 24" 1080p) has packed up and I'm looking for a replacement. I run a 970 and i5-2500k, live in the UK and want to spend around £1-200. Not got the space for anything much bigger than 24"-27" , multiple monitor setup is totally out of the question. Are these the sort of things I should be looking at? Been a while since I was looking for hardware so i'm not quite sure where to look and what brands are good now.

https://www.ebuyer.com/628268-acer-predator-gn246hl-24-led-gaming-144hz-monitor-um-fg6ee-b06
https://www.ebuyer.com/436992-asus-vg248qe-24-144hz-1ms-gaming-monitor-vg248qe

is 60hz something I'll regret choosing if I ever upgrade my CPU? the ones that aren't 144hz are a fair bit cheaper...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014RKZ81O/ref=psdc_428652031_t1_B016AWBO2E etc.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

..btt posted:

I can't think of any game that doesn't minimise when interacting with other programs when set to fullscreen exclusive mode, so for me: all of them. I don't have two monitors to only use one at a time!

But an application minimizing isn't a bug or unintended consequence like a crash/BSOD/etc. upon task switching is. It might inconvenience you, but it's not "problematic" if the applications resumes normal operation upon switching back to it. I mean literally, if it's working normally then by definition there's no problem.

And again, if you count the Oculus Rift then I have 5 monitors attached to my gaming desktop, although I'm only using two at the moment. If I'm switching out of a game to, I don't know, read something in e-mail or on a Web page, then it makes no difference to me when the game on the other display minimizes. I can't cross (or diverge) my eyes and both read and play at once, can you?

I could totally understand specific titles where you'd have the game running much of the time but might want to spend considerable amount of time outside the game doing something else: in Eve Online you might be watching a gate or corp chat or whatever so you'd need that visible at all times.

In action games, however, things like FPSs, MOBAs, etc., you have little time to do other tasks unless you're not actually playing the game, so you can't be working on something else for any appreciable length of time and thus it doesn't matter if the game is minimized.

necrobobsledder posted:

Exclusive mode seems to have some limitations for certain games as well. Like Diablo 3 has trouble finding my resolution at 3440x1440 and same for Warframe unless I use borderless window mode.

Resolution support is generally game-dependent, and in some cases a title may need you to manually add a less common resolution as a "custom" one in the display driver software in order for the game to "see" it. This is more true the older the game is, and the "newer" the resolution is (e.g. imagine you wanted to play an old game which ran at VGA or SVGA and was created before any HD resolutions existed; of course the game isn't going to know about or have support for any "new" resolution, at least not without a patch/mod.)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Atomizer posted:

But an application minimizing isn't a bug or unintended consequence like a crash/BSOD/etc. upon task switching is. It might inconvenience you, but it's not "problematic" if the applications resumes normal operation upon switching back to it. I mean literally, if it's working normally then by definition there's no problem.

Talk about splitting hairs!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

The distinction between "application crashes" and "application works normally" is the opposite of "splitting hairs" but whatever man. :shrug:

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

I only split hairs on the weekend or after a particularly rough day on the job.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Atomizer posted:

The distinction between "application crashes" and "application works normally" is the opposite of "splitting hairs" but whatever man. :shrug:

That is not the relevant distinction. The distinction between "inconvenience" and "works as intended but not as end user wishes" is the relevant distinction.

I mean, if I designed my application to randomly lose all the data I had inputted it would be working normally...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Thermopyle posted:

That is not the relevant distinction. The distinction between "inconvenience" and "works as intended but not as end user wishes" is the relevant distinction.

I mean, if I designed my application to randomly lose all the data I had inputted it would be working normally...

ah, so you're the one who designed some of my systems at work

e: good news: they're working as intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

But that's not where the discussion has been going. I asked about games that legitimately malfunctioned (i.e. crashed) and he disingenuously replied "hurr, all of them" :jerkbag: because they minimized upon task switching in full-screen mode which is neither helpful to the conversation nor is it even factually correct (in that minimizing isn't a problematic behavior.) Beyond that, the "problematic" descriptor, which again referred to applications objectively misbehaving (i.e. crashing, or failing to resume normal operations) is what I've been trying to distinguish from "simply being inconvenient for one dude's use-case." Again, I wrote:

Atomizer posted:

...which is making a clear distinction between actual software malfunction and "inconvenience" and/or "works as intended but not as end user wishes." That's not even remotely "splitting hairs." You're trying to focus on a point I'm not making.

Here's an actual, in-practice update to this whole topic: I just switched a game (WoT) I normally run in Fullscreen mode to Windowed (borderless.) It runs the same (i.e. it doesn't crash when task switching in either mode) except now it doesn't minimize. First problem: when I'm not actually in the game, as in right now, typing this in Chrome on the monitor next to it, the GPU is still fully loaded, whereas when minimized the GPU drops down to idle. Since I'm not running a game that needs to be plastered on the 2nd monitor at all times (like the aforementioned Eve, which you'd want to be monitoring when doing something else to kill time) all this is doing is wasting power, generating heat (admittedly not exactly a concern right now in the middle of Winter, but obviously in the Summer it is) and creating extra noise. None of those are desirable things. On top of that, since this game doesn't need to be on-screen (i.e. not minimized) when I'm doing something else, this is actually a hindrance because occasionally I do have windows behind the game that I switch back and forth to view; things like Steam or other game downloads, that I don't need to watch but keep an eye on between matches. As I mentioned I normally run two monitors but have more if necessary, and haven't found more to generally be necessary nowadays and certainly I'm not going to turn on another monitor just for more space for a Steam window. So again, not having a game minimize upon task switching literally does nothing for me.

So with all that being said, we circle back to my original question:

Atomizer posted:

I have to ask, what's the point of windowed and windowed/borderless modes over fullscreen? I just Alt+Tab to get in & out of games (between rounds, or to consult guides, etc.) and don't have to worry about mouse capture issues or anything like that.

I've presented my use-case, illustrated that your (referring to everyone who replied) preferred window mode doesn't work for me, so why is this such a big deal? All I did was ask about the different modes, showing that I wasn't knowledgeable about them because as it turns out they don't work for me. I've come to learn that some of you prefer to use other modes, which is totally fine, but they don't work for everybody.