Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
get up from bed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

sick of reading my small screen in bed. should i fetch an ipad air 2 or the new unnamed ipad

have u tried a hammock

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Toady posted:

i miss the big 17-inch macbook pros with lots of ports that were practically desktop replacements

Cafeteria Tray Edition

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Toady posted:

i miss the big 17-inch macbook pros with lots of ports that were practically desktop replacements

i still have one of these for my couch computing needs. i like it, but it aint a desktop replacement. the maximum ram was pitifully little. too little to do any actual work.

the ram constraints make it just a really nice portable citrix client.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tk posted:

Cafeteria Tray Edition

the only time the width/depth of a 17" is a problem is when you are flying coach.

solution: never fly coach. take a train or stump for business class.

the thing apple got right with their 17 is that it is still thin and light like the 13 and 15. dell and lenovo make 17 inch laptops but they are beastly, brick-like devices.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

tim will get a bigger bonus than usual during a quarter when all the moms and dads are finally pushed off their iPads 2, once they completely stop working less-bad than whatever PC would be the alternative

so maybe still two years

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

sick of reading my small screen in bed. should i fetch an ipad air 2 or the new unnamed ipad

iPad Pro 10” is currently the way to go.

but new iPads typically get released in March, so might as well wait for one with a badass A11 CPU.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the only time the width/depth of a 17" is a problem is when you are flying coach.

solution: never fly coach. take a train or stump for business class.

the thing apple got right with their 17 is that it is still thin and light like the 13 and 15. dell and lenovo make 17 inch laptops but they are beastly, brick-like devices.

They were also a problem on some of the tiny rear end desks in some of the big lecture halls. Although pretty much everything was too.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Fiedler posted:

Do Apple employees not get desktops?

many people have both a MBP and an iMac or Trash Can

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

the $329 ipad (2017) is really really good, i got one about 6 months ago.

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

but new iPads typically get released in March, so might as well wait for one with a badass A11 CPU.
yep these things own super hard

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Elder Postsman posted:

thank you this is the answer i was looking for

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i have an iPad Air the first one and I have no idea why I’d ever want to upgrade unless it was destroyed or something

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i have a new iPad Air 2 from a clearance sale and its the lightest, best iPad Ever Made

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mmm that sweet laminate screen.

ibought my parents a new ipad (2017) though for xmas. straight up glass looks and feels nice

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Elder Postsman posted:

why is this $120 more in :canada:? wtf timb?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

no screens in the bedroom

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

infernal machines posted:

why is this $120 more in :canada:? wtf timb?

sorry. consider trading in your ipad 2 for $50 maybe?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Management posted:

when are they giving the pencil an eraser and a way to charge it that isn't a loving disgrace?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

when are they giving the pencil an eraser and a way to charge it that isn't a loving disgrace?

you understand that it’s not really a pencil and the tip can be used to erase, right?

for charging there is a female to female lightning port adapter included with the pen that can be used with a normal charger cable.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
The most recent iPads are great, but Apple really needs to put some time into stealing the Surfaces’ best feature: folding the keyboard under to use as a platform for the kickstand. It makes the whole thing really stable for resting on your lap or pretty much anywhere. The various first and third party kickstandish iPad products I’ve tried pale in comparison.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
since the ipad maxi is entirely a copy of the surface they might as well go whole hog and copy everything about it, just drop the pretense and embrace the second-handedness of it all

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
but could you imagine if you had to load a lithium cell into the ipencil instead of this?

human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Management posted:

you understand that it’s not really a pencil and the tip can be used to erase, right?

then maybe they should've called it the Apple Not Really A Pencil

eraser on the back is pretty standard and natural for digitizer pens. even samsung has it. i assume apple will switch to wireless charging for ipad and pencil at some point and then put an eraser on the back

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
can't wait for jiffy pop ipads and istyluses

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

infernal machines posted:

but could you imagine if you had to load a lithium cell into the ipencil instead of this?

human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria

the apple pencil is infuriating, their explanation is that you generally charge it using a standard lightning cable and the ipad thing is just for emergency charging to get some juice into it real quick. but if thats true then why the gently caress isnt the lightning port built into the pencil and the adapter the add on to be used with the ipad? why is the loving easy to lose tiny adapter not a part of the pencil? have it snap on the pencil like the cap so its harder to lose. or at least include a carrying case.

gently caress

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
yeah the charging thing for the pencil blows but hot drat I love it as a device.

iPad pro + keyboard case + pencil is good.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Matt Zerella posted:

yeah the charging thing for the pencil blows but hot drat I love it as a device.

iPad pro + keyboard case + pencil is good.

I don’t mind the pencil stuff, it’s dumb looking when you have to plug it in, but will save you in a jiffy and it charges real fast

Apple 100% did a good thing there, the alternative of charging it with an adapter or something... ugh

even your iPhone can charge it, I think it owns and gives your iPhone a huge dick, which is similar to me, a very well endowed man

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pen computing is awesome and i am legit happy that apple came back around, the pro line are the first really compelling ipads to me

not everyone needs/likes it, but it is a pretty broad niche if you can make it integrate well

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

NEED MORE MILK posted:

the apple pencil is infuriating, their explanation is that you generally charge it using a standard lightning cable and the ipad thing is just for emergency charging to get some juice into it real quick. but if thats true then why the gently caress isnt the lightning port built into the pencil and the adapter the add on to be used with the ipad? why is the loving easy to lose tiny adapter not a part of the pencil? have it snap on the pencil like the cap so its harder to lose. or at least include a carrying case.

gently caress

Because in Jony’s World, there are no artifacts in one’s environment that have not been placed there intentionally, deliberately, and with great consideration. His is the very embodiment of modernism, a perfect reflection of rational order, of rebellion against disharmony and indeed entropy itself. In fact, he exists more as the instantiation of a platonic ideal than anything else. In this world, a cap connector is superfluous as there is no surface angle to draw the cap away, no excess body motion to imbue the cap with angular momentum, and no environment that is not of one’s own making to otherwise obscure the cap from one’s gaze. Jony is both God and inhabitant of this world of perfect harmony and balance. Indeed it is said that His fingertips do not even secret essential oils, and that the inclusion of oleophobes on Apple touchscreens are simply a vestigial remnant of His corporeal existence. A kind of skeuomorphic echo from a distant past, if you will.

Extend this logic to the larger Apple ecosystem and you’ll see why your complaints are trivial, baseless, and possibly even heretical. It is here that one will realize mewling over the MBP’s keyboard design is a concern utterly without merit, for it posits dust as something more than an abstract philosophical vehicle for exploring the concept of decay. Perhaps, deep in the hallowed grounds of the industrial design labs, He has explored its properties, but dust, as a material, simply has no value to His vision. So too it can be said of the need for dongles, which is another term that holds no inherent meaning. Remember, in a world of perfect order, there are no lesser, sullied devices to connect to. There is no concept of time, much less hurried meetings to attend. There is no concept of space, much less remote sessions to dial into. There is no environment that is not of one’s own making, so any experiential friction must be the result of one’s own choices. Jony is not a masochist and therefore cannot comprehend your lamentations. And while Jony loves you, salvation, redemption, and the imposition of rational order are ultimately your responsibility.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
The Pencil should have been designed so that the Lightning connector on top doubled as a button. Press down on it and click it in like a ballpoint pen to turn it on and press again to unclick it and turn it off.

Which I guess would mess it up if you ever had to plug it in.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

icloud's spam filter has now filtered bills from several different places and it's really starting to piss me off

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
yeah the adapter for the lightning port could double as an eraser and stick on the back of the pencil super easy.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
lmao if you have a pencil.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Kobayashi posted:

Because in Jony’s World, there are no artifacts in one’s environment that have not been placed there intentionally, deliberately, and with great consideration. His is the very embodiment of modernism, a perfect reflection of rational order, of rebellion against disharmony and indeed entropy itself. In fact, he exists more as the instantiation of a platonic ideal than anything else. In this world, a cap connector is superfluous as there is no surface angle to draw the cap away, no excess body motion to imbue the cap with angular momentum, and no environment that is not of one’s own making to otherwise obscure the cap from one’s gaze. Jony is both God and inhabitant of this world of perfect harmony and balance. Indeed it is said that His fingertips do not even secret essential oils, and that the inclusion of oleophobes on Apple touchscreens are simply a vestigial remnant of His corporeal existence. A kind of skeuomorphic echo from a distant past, if you will.

Extend this logic to the larger Apple ecosystem and you’ll see why your complaints are trivial, baseless, and possibly even heretical. It is here that one will realize mewling over the MBP’s keyboard design is a concern utterly without merit, for it posits dust as something more than an abstract philosophical vehicle for exploring the concept of decay. Perhaps, deep in the hallowed grounds of the industrial design labs, He has explored its properties, but dust, as a material, simply has no value to His vision. So too it can be said of the need for dongles, which is another term that holds no inherent meaning. Remember, in a world of perfect order, there are no lesser, sullied devices to connect to. There is no concept of time, much less hurried meetings to attend. There is no concept of space, much less remote sessions to dial into. There is no environment that is not of one’s own making, so any experiential friction must be the result of one’s own choices. Jony is not a masochist and therefore cannot comprehend your lamentations. And while Jony loves you, salvation, redemption, and the imposition of rational order are ultimately your responsibility.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

yeah the adapter for the lightning port could double as an eraser and stick on the back of the pencil super easy.

really there shouldn't be any tiny easy to lose piece of plastic at all

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

The Pencil should have been designed so that the Lightning connector on top doubled as a button. Press down on it and click it in like a ballpoint pen to turn it on and press again to unclick it and turn it off.

Which I guess would mess it up if you ever had to plug it in.

i think they got it right that you shouldn't have to think about turning it on and off, and while that mostly works, being a bluetooth accessory, it does occasionally flake out if you haven't used it for a while

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 12, 2018

TOPS-420
Feb 13, 2012

why tf does the apple pencil even need a bluetooth radio and battery. passive styluses have been around for decades

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
the pencil is frustrating bc aside from weirdness with charging and no eraser it's really nice. feels good and on the newer iPad pro it's the only pen ive tried with undetectable latency

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TOPS-420 posted:

why tf does the apple pencil even need a bluetooth radio and battery. passive styluses have been around for decades

they’re also garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

TOPS-420 posted:

those suck and also the pencil gives you pressure sensitivity and assists with hand/palm rejection