Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Tars Tarkas posted:

But now we can have a Snow Dogs/Show Dogs/Showgirls triple feature!

Snow dogs/Show Dogs/ Straw dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't think Christopher Plummer should be turned into as punchline for sexual abuse

I mean at the very least we should get his consent first.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Lobok posted:

So I guess these CG movies are Not My Paddington.

Paddington twisting the lid off a jar of marmalade like Superman snapping Zod's neck

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
James Franco is currently having A LOT of sexual abuse/predatory behavior charges heaved his way, did he have anything big coming out this year?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

James Franco is currently having A LOT of sexual abuse/predatory behavior charges heaved his way, did he have anything big coming out this year?

He just won a Golden Globe for playing Tommy Wiseau.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gonz posted:

He just won a Golden Globe for playing Tommy Wiseau.

Such an absurd sentence.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

At this point, Solo will probably be lucky to make back its budget, let alone turn a profit. :v:

How'd your predictions about The Last Jedi's box office turn out?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Honestly it's counter productive to wish huge, tent pole films to make losses because the studios usually use the profits out of those movies to allocate funds to allow for the artsy, passion projects to happen. But then again, that also led to the movie of 2017 The Book of Henry, so.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wandle Cax posted:

How'd your predictions about The Last Jedi's box office turn out?

Admittedly not 100% correctly, but I think it still might not be number one for 2017. However, if I am completely wrong, I will have to retire from my foray into box office predictions.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

Admittedly not 100% correctly, but I think it still might not be number one for 2017. However, if I am completely wrong, I will have to retire from my foray into box office predictions.

There is absolutely zero chance it won't take the #1 spot for 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The top ten of most tickets sold in the Netherlands for 2017 had TLJ at the #7 spot, with none of the other movies having been released in the last months of the year.

Edit: Might as well include the list.
1. Despicable Me 3 (1.338.156)
2. Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge (1.017.987) [European title]
3. Beauty and the Beast (850.372)
4. Fast & Furious 8 (848.174)
5. The Boss Baby (801.190)
6. Dunkirk (755.610)
7. Star Wars: The Last Jedi (696.826)
8. Fifty Shades Darker (685.766)
9. Sing (672.849)
10. IT (580.667)

Really surprised by just how many people went to see PotC, even though I was part of the problem.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There is absolutely zero chance it won't take the #1 spot for 2017

Frankly, I have no idea why I decided to nail my colours to this particular mast in the first place. :(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

Frankly, I have no idea why I decided to nail my colours to this particular mast in the first place. :(

It's not too late to change your mind before it becomes official!!

Alternatively, you could dig in even further and :toxx: me over it :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

It's not too late to change your mind before it becomes official!!

Alternatively, you could dig in even further and :toxx: me over it :v:

I think it's because of how big the numbers are. When you put it in terms of "$1.2 billion" then I instantly see the 1.2 and gloss over the billion; that's a huge amount of money but "1.2 billion" doesn't feel as big to me as if you said "1200 million". Therefore, when I look at the numbers and see that it needs about $40 million or so to finish up as number one for 2017, I instantly see the 40 and think, "There's no way there's 40 million left in the world for this movie to earn."

I probably got a bit carried away with the whole "TLJ is a flop" narrative a bit too easily (I got a lot of my commentary from the Forbes website, where they have a movie writer who liked TLJ and spins all the figures positively, and another movie writer who disliked TLJ and spins the exact same numbers negatively), when I knew rationally that it was never going to be as big as Force Awakens because that movie over-performed its expectations.

I think box office numbers like this are very interesting because I think they're the best barometer of what people are going to see and what's really popular, but as I've evidently demonstrated, I'm not much good with numbers, so I go with what the most convincing expert has to say and I'm probably too quick to believe them.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 12, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think it's because of how big the numbers are. When you put it in terms of "$1.2 billion" then I instantly see the 1.2 and gloss over the billion; that's a huge amount of money but "1.2 billion" doesn't feel as big to me as if you said "1200 million". Therefore, when I look at the numbers and see that it needs about $40 million or so to finish up as number one for 2017, I instantly see the 40 and think, "There's no way there's 40 million left in the world for this movie to earn."

Boxofficemojo.com has it $33,800,000 short of the #1 place right now and yeah, that sounds like a huge amount of money (especially considering that there's a ton of films that never made $34m in their entire screen run) but that's only 2.75% of the money that TLJ has already made and it hasn't even been out for a full month yet. $34m is a tiny tiny pittance in this context. The numbers they're throwing around are ridiculous.

Also don't forget that the box office receipts will only be a fraction of the money the studio makes on this whole endeavour, their other revenue streams will be much much bigger than a paltry $1.2B. :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm surprised the last Transformers barely made back its budget. I forgot there was even a new one coming out. It seems like those movies might finally be ready to die.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe it's Bumblebee: A Transformers Story next.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm surprised the last Transformers barely made back its budget. I forgot there was even a new one coming out. It seems like those movies might finally be ready to die.

It made over $600 million worldwide which must be hugely disappointing for them because the previous two films in the franchise made over a billion each. It was actually the lowest performing movie out of the entire series.

It wasn't just a small dip either, it was a significant drop from their usual performance:

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/...The-Last-Knight

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

It made over $600 million worldwide which must be hugely disappointing for them because the previous two films in the franchise made over a billion each.

Not just that; Age of Extinction was the only movie in 2014 to gross over a billion dollars and became the number one movie of the year.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

da gently caress?

quote:

Do you see a salary ceiling for these movie stars flocking to TV?

The world is upside down in terms of features and TV. The budget parameter will probably expand and then contract to a reasonable place. We have not yet made our big-swing, big-budget sci-fi show, but we're working on Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash for Amazon. Joe Cornish (Ant-Man) is directing, and it'll be twice as big as anything we've created.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/paramount-tv-head-alienist-george-clooneys-catch-22-future-13-reasons-why-1073192

from the interview of Paramount's TV division

Uh where did this come from

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
who CARES about Box office numbers my god

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Shageletic posted:

da gently caress?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/paramount-tv-head-alienist-george-clooneys-catch-22-future-13-reasons-why-1073192

from the interview of Paramount's TV division

Uh where did this come from

That's just an out-of-nowhere announcement.

I'm guessing cyberpunk shows are going to be a thing now, first Altered Carbon on Netflix, now Snow Crash.

It's a shame the Neuromancer rights are tied up, because a Sprawl Trilogy show that incorporates that plus Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive, and Johnny Mnemonic would be killer, even if it turns out to be the Molly Millions show.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bows1 posted:

who CARES about Box office numbers my god

Hey, at least I talk about other stuff as well. 100% of your posts in this thread have been about box office numbers. :v:

Edit: I just checked your posting history and apart from a handful of random posts in CD GenChat, 100% of your posts in CD threads for the entire year have been about box office numbers. :v::v:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 12, 2018

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Hey, at least I talk about other stuff as well. 100% of your posts in this thread have been about box office numbers. :v:

Edit: I just checked your posting history and apart from a handful of random posts in CD GenChat, 100% of your posts in CD threads for the entire year have been about box office numbers. :v::v:

gently caress I suppose thats true

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bows1 posted:

gently caress I suppose thats true

Whoa it just dropped to 50% :eyepop:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Box office numbers don't come up as often in other threads, but this is a thread about how films of dubious quality get greenlit, and obviously box office numbers are a big part of that.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I use box office numbers in the OP as that's what studios care about and things like RottenTomatoes scores seem like a bad way to judge a movie's success or failure as many films don't give a crap about their critic scores while other films with great critic numbers do terrible at the box office and no one sees them, which seems like a bigger failure because what is the point of art if it is never seen by anyone?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah the box office numbers are generally a good indicator of a movie's popularity so they're useful in that respect.

It's also satisfying to watch a movie you like do really well or a movie/studio/director you dislike go down in flames. :kheldragar:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't generally care about box office numbers; I just think they're interesting. :shrug: I used to be very interested in following music charts even though a lot of my favourite music never got anywhere near them. I just thought it was interesting in a "what are people listening to" way and, as a corollary to that, "why did this flop and what are the implications of that?"

I'll happily stop talking about it if people want me to.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The funniest part is that we were finished talking about it but then bows1 complained and sparked off a whole other discussion about it. :v:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I propose we change the word Box Office to "The pay windah." like Dusty Rhodes would say.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

James Mangold's Patty Hearst biopic is cancelled by Fox after Hearst said that the book it would have been based on romanticized her torture and rape.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/fox-cancels-james-mangolds-patty-hearst-biopic-1074187

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yeah the box office numbers are generally a good indicator of a movie's popularity so they're useful in that respect.

It's also satisfying to watch a movie you like do really well or a movie/studio/director you dislike go down in flames. :kheldragar:

That there's danger close to MisterBibs style talk.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I know I’m just starting it again but I was basically talking about the obsession with The Last Jedi and it’s box office when it’s obviously not strange why it got green lighted

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Even if I thought Solo was going to be a great movie I'm sure it would lose to Infinity War at the box office. It's just a Star Wars "story", and it's going up against the Marvel flagship franchise with 10 years of momentum. I'm sure Black Panther is going to have some sort of hook specifically to get people excited and put their butts in the theater.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Krankenstyle posted:

That there's danger close to MisterBibs style talk.

Ha, I was going to add something like "... but of course the box office results are no reflection of the actual quality of the movie" to that post but I thought to myself "Eh, that obviously goes without saying" and left it out. I forgot the MisterBibs Factor. :v:

bows1 posted:

I know I’m just starting it again but I was basically talking about the obsession with The Last Jedi and it’s box office when it’s obviously not strange why it got green lighted

Certain people have a vested interest in finding evidence that the recent Star Wars movies are financially disappointing or not as popular as the classic Star Wars as some sort of evidence that Disney screwed up the franchise, maybe that's what was going on?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Gatts posted:

I propose we change the word Box Office to "The pay windah." like Dusty Rhodes would say.

This. If you will

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

joylessdivision posted:

This. If you will

Star Wars has fallen on HAAAAAAAAARD TIIIIIIIIIIIMES, DADDEH!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

It's less satisfying when it's the other way around. After the box office bomb of Synecdoche, New York Charlie Kaufman went from being a hot property to spending years being unable to get a single thing made. Then Anomalisa also got a global box office return less than the reported budget...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

Even if I thought Solo was going to be a great movie I'm sure it would lose to Infinity War at the box office. It's just a Star Wars "story", and it's going up against the Marvel flagship franchise with 10 years of momentum. I'm sure Black Panther is going to have some sort of hook specifically to get people excited and put their butts in the theater.

Black Panther is gonna do well, but Avengers is going to smoke everything. And Black Panther doing well is only going to help Avengers.