Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

multijoe posted:

If nothing else legendary core crystals should be 100% rare Blade drops, there is no excuse for that not being the case other than the Monolith being staffed by actual deviant psychopaths who hate you.

Right? All this cool poo poo going on in chapter 10 and suddenly bad gacha luck kicks in. Kind of a drag. It's whatever though, after I clear 10 I'm gonna go off and do sidequests and level up regions and stuff. It's just kind of anticlimactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

THE loving MOON posted:

edit: Zenobia is the best rare blade, and I'm glad I've had her for most of my playthrough

I feel like never being able to draw Zenobia and Newt is my punishment for having KOS MOS basically the entire game and never using her.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I wouldn't mind the gacha system if you could swap weapons at will without the stupid protocols. I wasted 2 because I didn't know they were limited.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I want Kos-Mos :saddowns:

I need to go back and fill in Zenobias chart some more. Even without all the upgrades shes really, really good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chernabog posted:

I wouldn't mind the gacha system if you could swap weapons at will without the stupid protocols. I wasted 2 because I didn't know they were limited.

Seriously. Why doesnt rex’s swap ability just work for other characters. Theres no mechanical reason for it not to, its just made massively more inconvenient.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
After Rex becomes a master driver, is there any reason not to just give core crystals to everyone else? Doesnt seem to be a downside to Rex using Brighid.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It's really weird how people just casually drop spoilers from the end of the game

I guess we're past the point where we have to use tags?

Anyway, here's Wonderwall a poppi alpha guide that I want to try now because it looks less painful to farm

it does contain a few character based spoilers and some postgame boss stuff that may spoil some story a little bit

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 12, 2018

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
oh wow i got kosmos on Zeke. the only rare blade that has a lower chance to appear than rare blades usually do. and it's really, really good. thank you for being an ether cannon because holy poo poo i love ether cannons

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

It's really weird how people just casually drop spoilers from the end of the game

I guess we're past the point where we have to use tags?

Anyway, here's Wonderwall a poppi alpha guide that I want to try now because it looks less painful to farm

it does contain a few character based spoilers and some postgame boss stuff that may spoil some story a little bit

Sorry, I can use tags or be oblique about it if you all like. The games only like a month old and I havent even seen the final boss at 85 hours, Im sure theres lots of people way further back in the story.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
The (ch 8 spoiler) Rex Master Driver thing is something I didn't know about until I was most of the way through the game. It absolutely would have affected which characters I drew blades with. I think I'm happier that I wasn't spoiled though because I only got two rares on Rex so it wasn't a huge deal

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Damnit, the writing is really the worst I have seen in a long time. Regarding the quest in Indol where a little girl feels like she is beeing stalked since she joined the choir. Eventually you find and confront the culprit: It's another girl that felt like she deserved to be the one who should have picked for the choir. During the confrontation she proclaims: "Nice of you to come here - makes it easier for me to take you out". Mind that this is two little girls talking to each other.

The result is a fight to the death between the player and her hired thug, who thinks it is cool and good to try to murder a choir girl in broad daylight, in front of the most sacred temple of all places.

After you beat the thug the stalked girl goes "I may be out of line here and you just tried to murder me, but you are a big meanie, and mean girls who only think of themselves are not allowed in the choir!". Then the bad girl sees the error of her ways, and she and the good girl become friends.

All in all a totally believable exchange :suicide:

Onkel Hedwig fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 12, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol you don’t read much huh

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Charles, your shtick got tired a couple dozen pages ago. Could you go troll some Reddit subforums or something?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

PJOmega posted:

Charles, your shtick got tired a couple dozen pages ago. Could you go troll some Reddit subforums or something?

Who is trolling who here

I am just making fun of some dudes dumb hyperbolic statement.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i will say i hate the story of this game because it becomes so predictable from the moment Vandham shows up and onwards

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

CharlestheHammer posted:

Who is trolling who here

It's not dumb, the writing is really lacking in a lot of areas. It's bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Louisgod posted:

It's not dumb, the writing is really lacking in a lot of areas. It's bad.

It’s fine, it’s very Saturday morning cartoon but if that is the worst writing you have ever encountered then lucky you.

Which is more my issue with the forum itself is that there is no middle ground no variation, just good and the worst ever.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 12, 2018

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Who is trolling who here

He's not wrong.

I'm only in chapter 4 a bit after when NOTVanderkaum shows up, and this poo poo is so unbearable I don't think I can even be assed to finish the game.

The sequence of events, the plot and the characters with maybe the exception of Nia are all so goddamned horrible.

Fight with Vander-HAM -

Pyra: "At that moment I sensed he wasn't serious."

THE NEXT loving SENTENCE.

Pyra: "Yeah actually I knew he wasn't going to hurt us from the start."

Enter generic anime boy with glasses oh wowowowo he speaks in stage puns. What was his plan again? To attack 4 people singlehandedly in their own base, get loving owned and then jump away while nobody chases him?

Then immediately after that and some brief exposition, comedy gag character and future party member who has the same hairstyle and color scheme as anime boy with glasses attacks your party in a scene that's supposed to be funny but it isn't. Comedy gag character approaches of your group and everyone instantly knows he's not to be taken seriously even though he hasn't done anything stupid / "funny" yet.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol at people getting mad that their saturday morning cartoon rpg isn't a work of fine literature

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

lol at people getting mad that their saturday morning cartoon rpg isn't a work of fine literature

Yeah it’s this and it does this very well. It’s not a good story by any means but there are far worse out there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Damnit, the writing is really the worst I have seen in a long time. Regarding the quest in Indol where a little girl feels like she is beeing stalked since she joined the choir. Eventually you find and confront the culprit: It's another girl that felt like she deserved to be the one who should have picked for the choir. During the confrontation she proclaims: "Nice of you to come here - makes it easier for me to take you out". Mind that this is two little girls talking to each other.

The result is a fight to the death between the player and her hired thug, who thinks it is cool and good to try to murder a choir girl in broad daylight, in front of the most sacred temple of all places.

After you beat the thug the stalked girl goes "I may be out of line here and you just tried to murder me, but you are a big meanie, and mean girls who only think of themselves are not allowed in the choir!". Then the bad girl sees the error of her ways, and she and the good girl become friends.

All in all a totally believable exchange :suicide:

This quest blew my mind. “Oh yeah i had to hire mercenaries to avoid being murdered by her mercanaries, but hers are dead now so besties forever”

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

U-DO Burger posted:

It's bad.

Call it what it is.

Bad.

It's an RPG with bad writing and characters coming from people who should probably know better.

I don't even know what to say to this. Its OK that it's bad because... you think its a Saturday morning cartoon?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm surprised Nightblade is even playing at all considering he was posting about chapter 2 stuff a month ago and apparently just got to chapter 4.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

This quest blew my mind. “Oh yeah i had to hire mercenaries to avoid being murdered by her mercanaries, but hers are dead now so besties forever”

War has changed...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm surprised Nightblade is even playing at all considering he was posting about chapter 2 stuff a month ago and apparently just got to chapter 4.

Lol and people call me a troll

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

every xeno game has elements to it that are stupid as poo poo when taken seriously. stop taking it so seriously and just enjoy the ride

Night Blade posted:

It's an RPG with bad writing and characters coming from people who should probably know better.

one of the main characters in xenogears built a giant robot that transforms into a gun that shoots out the pilot

Barudak posted:

yeah it owned. My wife and I had a good laugh over that one

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Night Blade posted:

I would like to direct you toward TheDarkId's Xenogears LP to show that, no, they absolutely do not, and we have no reason to expect they should, know better.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Supremezero posted:

I would like to direct you toward TheDarkId's Xenogears LP to show that, no, they absolutely do not, and we have no reason to expect they should, know better.

Occasionally in Xenogears, people speak to one another like actual people.

How do you go backwards from that?

quote:

every xeno game has elements to it that are stupid as poo poo when taken seriously. stop taking it so seriously and just enjoy the ride

Xenoblade 1 had a lot of dumb problems, but I could enjoy it for what it did right. What does this game do right other than having intentionally(?) bad characters and plot?

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Night Blade posted:

THE NEXT loving SENTENCE.

Another good one in the same vein: "Something something the Titans are dying out". THE NEXT SENTENCE: "It's a never ending cycle".

Yeah, what you just described is actually the complete loving opposite of a cycle.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Well it was a cycle but the thing was that guy sabotaged part of the cycle so they are dying for real.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Night Blade posted:

Occasionally in Xenogears, people speak to one another like actual people.

How do you go backwards from that?

:lol: did you forget literally every scene with the Gazel Ministry in it

seriously, you're getting incredibly pissed over a few dumb scenes and a few bad lines, when Xenogears was rife with both

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah it’s this and it does this very well. It’s not a good story by any means but there are far worse out there.

ah yes the good old "there are worse things out there" defense.

The crux of it is that XC1, despite its few shortcomings, had a solid script and a really good translation. XCX was bad and XC2 seemed promising and a return to form for Takahashi and team, especially since ACE+ and the musical team was back on board.

That's it, really. The writing/script in the game is bad because it had a precedent to compare it to. At least the soundtrack is stellar.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

X had a better soundtrack, not that this one's is bad or anything.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Perhaps foolishly, I like xenoblade chronicles 2

I can't say I liked any of the villains at the end of the day, but hey

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I recently read a couple of the wheel of time books on reccomendation and the story/writing there is a lot worse. Not saying XB2 has great writing or anything, but its fun and engaging and thats all i really wanted.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

U-DO Burger posted:

seriously, you're getting incredibly pissed over a few dumb scenes and a few bad lines, when Xenogears was rife with both

The entire game aside from the introduction is comprised of dumb scenes and bad dialog.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Night Blade posted:

The entire game aside from the introduction is comprised of dumb scenes and bad dialog.

nah

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I don't know how this is even a discussion. I didnt expect good writing going into this, but still the writing is clearly not great. "Saturday Morning Cartoon" is a poor defense. You can have a show with little depth that has writing with internal consistency and basic logic. The example above is stupid as poo poo. Becoming besties immediately after an attempted hit? Really?

You can like the game without praising the writing--they're not mutually exclusive positions.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 12, 2018

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i don't think anyone here was praising the writing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I was going to say some stuff about being glad I pulled Dagas because he seems cool and at least I got him on the right character, but instead I'm going to throw my hat into this discussion:

The story in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is super loving dumb.

And I like it. I found the stupidity and over-the-top everything to be very entertaining. Also, Nia is the best.