Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/609944/apparently-people-say-thank-you-to-self-driving-pizza-delivery-vehicles/

quote:

Last summer, Ford worked with Domino's Pizza on a test in Ann Arbor, Michigan, where it delivered pizza to randomly chosen customers in a self-driving Ford Fusion hybrid. An operator was inside the car, and a regular human-driven car trailed behind, videotaping the drive. Customers had to approach the car and enter a number on a touch screen on the side of the vehicle to get their pizza. Speaking at CES, the annual consumer electronics show, in Las Vegas this week, Jim Farley, Ford'(TM)s executive vice president, acknowledged that the idea sounds silly, "but we learned so freaking much," he said. Apparently, most people say "thank you" to the car after getting their pizza.

We are all bitchmade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
You mean I need to go outside to get my food? This is troubling.

davidofmk771
Dec 27, 2010
its called courtesy, retard. have fun being judged when the machines overthrow us.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"Thank you so much for making sure my kid had to give up on college for want of a job, Mr. Robot"

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
People get really attached to their roomba robots too. When people send them in for repairs they often put in special notes and request repairs over replacement because they like their little robot.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar posted:

Yeah the next step would be a self-driving car pulling up to your house and then dispersing a separate robot to come to your door

I wonder if they'd arm it to prevent theft

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
wow already they love the borg more than the human being

wake up sheeple

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

wow already they love the borg more than the human being

wake up sheeple

Do you tip the self-driving car

How much do you tip the self-driving car

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
"An operator was inside the car"

So they were supposed to pretend the person wasn't there? I don't say thank you to the ATM but I do to the little vacuum thing in the drive through because I know there is a human involved and the mic might still be active.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
heres a tip

stay in car school or youll be doing this until you break down

nobody wants to see a 40 yr old model delivering za

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

This is some of the dumbest poo poo I've heard all week, and our president is Donald John Trump

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

KomodoWagon posted:

"Thank you so much for making sure my kid had to give up on college for want of a job, Mr. Robot"

pizzabot didn't ask to be made :(

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Edgar posted:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
mom: everybody say "bye, house!"
kids: "bye, house!"
me: first of all,

Lauroon Kyanka
Sep 17, 2017

*trips on a ladybug*

*dies of old age*
i haven't ordered a pizza in years. ordered a preseasoned pan from amazon and never looked back. i get the dough and toppings at winco. no more having to put on pants to answer the door. don't get me started on tipping the driver, which i never do.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

KomodoWagon posted:

“I’m sorry to hear that your low intelligence is hereditary, human”

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Lauroon Kyanka posted:

i haven't ordered a pizza in years. ordered a preseasoned pan from amazon and never looked back. i get the dough and toppings at winco. no more having to put on pants to answer the door. don't get me started on tipping the driver, which i never do.

the correct answer

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Cool idea until one runs into you and breaks your arm, spawning an insurance investigation using memory retrieval future tech that causes a nearby unrelated murder to spiral into a massive coverup resulting in enormous loss of life.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

its called being polite op. mayhaps u should try it perchance?

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

EugeneJ posted:

Yeah the next step would be a self-driving car pulling up to your house and then dispersing a separate robot to come to your door

I wonder if they'd arm it to prevent theft

Alternately they could use some sort of catapult system to fire the pizza at your front door.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

THANK U ATM FOR GIVING ME MY MONEY

davidofmk771
Dec 27, 2010
2018: *kicks robot security guard over* haha die cyberpig!

2025: i-i-im s-s-sorry i-i-i didnt m-m-mean to hurt the p-poor securitybot.... *gets loving owned by a crazy super ion execution ray*

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Beefeater posted:

Alternately they could use some sort of catapult system to fire the pizza at your front door.

In theory a railgun could launch the pizza from your nearest Dominos' rooftop, and a net or mechanical arm on your own roof could catch it

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
PizzaDrone would be way more efficient.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Beefeater posted:

"careful PizzaBot, there's blacks in that neighborhood"

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Cubone posted:

lol

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Cubone posted:

Lauroon Kyanka
Sep 17, 2017

*trips on a ladybug*

*dies of old age*

smoobles posted:

Cool idea until one runs into you and breaks your arm, spawning an insurance investigation using memory retrieval future tech that causes a nearby unrelated murder to spiral into a massive coverup resulting in enormous loss of life.

as long as you remember to kill the guinea pig you're all good mate.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

My Linux Rig posted:

“I’m sorry to hear that your low intelligence is hereditary, human”

Yeah, well we can't all be blessed with the tremendous processing power it takes to deliver pizzas.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I think this is cute and forgot what it was like to read a news article that didn't end with people spitting on the car and trying to pop all the tires with pointed sticks while yelling something about politics

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Terrific Accident posted:

I think this is cute and forgot what it was like to read a news article that didn't end with people spitting on the car and trying to pop all the tires with pointed sticks while yelling something about politics

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

I remember that. Dude made it through Europe and Canada no problem. Two weeks in the US and he gets hosed up. I think he made it to Philadelphia before he was annihilated.

He was so excited to go too. Just look at that smile.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Beefeater posted:

I remember that. Dude made it through Europe and Canada no problem. Two weeks in the US and he gets hosed up. I think he made it to Philadelphia before he was annihilated.

He was so excited to go too. Just look at that smile.

so young & full of hope..

Lauroon Kyanka
Sep 17, 2017

*trips on a ladybug*

*dies of old age*
i feel like if hitchbot would have started in the west coast instead of the east he would have made it a lot farther before being horribly mutilated. I still don't think he would have made it, but I feel like he would have gotten just a little farther.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

davidofmk771 posted:

its called courtesy, retard. have fun being judged when the machines overthrow us.

I always make sure to thank Siri. Just in case.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I think its nice that people are polite to the pizzabot :)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

big nipples big life posted:

I think its nice that people are polite to the pizzabot :)

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Can you gently caress the car? I mean, is it fuckable?

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Hey man I don't wanna think about what a robot might do to my pizza if I'm an rear end in a top hat to it.

I have no interest in eating robo-splooge.

e: okay maybe a little interest but not on my drat pizza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

KomodoWagon posted:

Yeah, well we can't all be blessed with the tremendous processing power it takes to deliver pizzas.

Is that what the interviewer said to your kid?

• Locked thread