Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Initial D is a manga and anime series about car racing, I think. I've never read or seen it before! I went to ask some friends here and irl, and none of them had seen it either! I decided then, that we're going to watch and/or read it! I don't really have a schedule. Just read and watch it!

Here are the things i currently know about Initial D (will update at a future date when i learn more):
toyota ae86 sprinter trueno, drifting, eurobeat, tofu delivery, memes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv13gl0a-FA

By the way, what's the better way to experience Initial D, anime or manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I think I played a initial D game in the arcades in japan. It was fun. using the gears to switch was pretty hard. I only made it to level 1 or 2. other people had cards and they were at like level 80-100.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Oh yeah, I have played Initial D Second Stage I think?? It's one of the Sega Initial D racers. That was fun; it's as good as Daytona which is the best possible thing i can say about an arcade racer

RME
Feb 20, 2012

nice I’m ready

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

RME posted:

nice I’m ready

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/829384587482656768

I am ready for D as well.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I went on this ride about two years ago because I had heard good things about the show.
I will not stop loving the incredibly dumb Eurobeat tracks.

Haven't read the manga, but the anime is pretty neat. There's quite a few hours of it and multiple seasons though. Watching cars drift in glorious CG motion, rather than just reading about it, just added another layer I could appreciate.
Enjoy.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I'm down. I'm ready for eurobeat.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Sefal posted:

I think I played a initial D game in the arcades in japan. It was fun. using the gears to switch was pretty hard. I only made it to level 1 or 2. other people had cards and they were at like level 80-100.

it's the longest lived arcade game ive seen. the ones where you sit in the moving cars are nuts

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
this is all i know about Initial D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm7lcZiLOus

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Running
In the
90s

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm never going to experience an initial D

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

Initial D is a manga and anime series about car racing, I think. I've never read or seen it before! I went to ask some friends here and irl, and none of them had seen it either! I decided then, that we're going to watch and/or read it! I don't really have a schedule. Just read and watch it!

Here are the things i currently know about Initial D (will update at a future date when i learn more):
toyota ae86 sprinter trueno, drifting, eurobeat, tofu delivery, memes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv13gl0a-FA

By the way, what's the better way to experience Initial D, anime or manga

The anime is fun but the story went much, much farther in the manga. Both are fairly fast-paced. Tokyopop had the license for both while they were still around, though Funimation has picked up the anime.

Both Initial D and the first Fast and Furious movie kind of hit a spot for me at that time in my life so I'm probably more willing to overlook shortcomings in them than they may warrant.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

im just here to say vostoks a nerd

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i never watched the anime or the game but i listened to every italodisco song they made for both

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i tried reading the manga but the drawings of humans were terrible and i think that street racing is ridiculous and irresponsible. actually i don't remember why i tried reading the manga at all.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
i just finished watching this a couple months ago. it took me most of 2017 because i'm so slow.

it's good.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
The Initial D anime is awesome. The lovely animation and the way that the art style and character designs change drastically every season are part of its charm.

Bunta is the best and I want to be his drinking buddy.

The show has had such a big cultural impact, not only in Japan but also worldwide among car enthusiasts. At this point it's worth watching for that alone (and all of the resulting references, parodies, and memes). It really is genuinely entertaining though, especially if you can get into that sports/battle anime feel of "protagonist has to battle interesting and increasingly difficult opponents ever few episodes while improving themselves."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgmyVTVc-Yc&t=61s

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 13, 2018

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Mentat Radnor posted:

The lovely animation and the way that the art style and character designs change drastically every season are part of its charm.

It took me almost a whole episode every season to figure out who Ryouske was. He was a completely different person every loving time.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

to post some actual content:

I saw a good chunk of the first season last year, before putting it on hold for plans to watch it with a friend (plans fell through and I never ended up returning to it, but i digress)
I honestly really enjoy the anime even if its a bit hard to place why at times. Like the cg is really rough, the characters will talk in circles as they often do in Shounen (though apparently it was originally published in a seinen mag), the animation itself can definitely suffer but despite that it offers a very genuinely exciting experience and it's hard to not smile every time you hear the eurobeat kicking in and ramping up and finding yourself caught up in the moment. I really think it's worth watching beyond just the meme status it's gained over the decades at this point.

Just enjoy the ride

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Initial D is bad and I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KCeEv6Jlv8

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Initial D is boring as hell, I've still got nostalgia for it and love Eurobeat but god Takumi is just such a boring protag.

I honestly enjoyed wangan midnight more as it comes off more as a car person anime where Initial D just seems like very boring shonen but with cars.

There are a tonne of interesting looking car manga, but none of them are translated. I'd love to be able to read stuff like shakotan boogie.

I did try reading a couple chapters of MF Ghost, which is Shuichi Shigeno's current manga but again the protag is just pretty much Takumi v2.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I watched Initial D in 2017 and its awesome. Its honestly one of my favorite sports anime, right next to Haikyuu. Folks who follow through on watching it are in for a real treat!

If you want to, you can watch this three movie trilogy instead of watching the two cour First Stage. I haven't seen the movies myself but a friend recommended them, and there are definitely some boring parts of First Stage that presumably aren't in the movies. That being said, I don't regret watching First Stage in full form at all, I think the slow pace of some episodes adds to the charm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7iR9KfzoI8

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

I never watched Initial D, but I enjoy it when stuff like this shows up in unrelated anime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTIJdUQo_F0&t=63s

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNveMjoSxp0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b89d1oip7WM

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
I like when Takumi drives the car.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

i love that in the initial d arcade game you have the option to have the paper cup of water in your car while you race

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm already experiencing it with my goon friend who doesn't post here

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Skeep posted:

I like when Takumi drives the car.

GET IN THE loving CAR TAKUMI

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi
It's not a particularly great series if you break it down, but it has it's charm and a bunch of fun moments. It also rekindled my interest in cars after many years, and pushed me over the edge into getting something with a manual.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Gimme love and money
I got the rest you know

The best, eurobeat for driving fast 4 eva

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i tried reading the manga but the drawings of humans were terrible and i think that street racing is ridiculous and irresponsible. actually i don't remember why i tried reading the manga at all.

that's why it's cool in comic books, which aren't real

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
This sort of stuff was going on up until a few years ago when Japan cracked down on it. I think now quite a few of the roads featured in Initial D now have humps and centre dividers on the corners to stop people drifting em.

I kinda liked the original goofy looking character designs.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Also the 90s through early 2000s was kinda the golden age of Japanese cars. If you look at footage from Ebisu circuit, everyone's still drifting cars from that era.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If you're not out of control

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I started watching initial D thanks to this thread.

Music rules

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
the new movies/remakes have really bland nu metal instead of lovable eurobeat. gently caress this!!!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I tried watching the remakes and instantly stopped when I found out there was no eurobeat haha.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
As a fan of racing games I really should watch this so now's a good enough time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hell yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K-fsz09oTE

i guess technically it's wangan midnight but idgaf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I watched 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Stage a couple years ago and I love the lovely CG and eurobeat so goddamn much. When they aren't in the cars or talking about the cars it's whatever but the stuff with the cars is so fun and stupid I can easily put up with it. Been meaning to get around to the rest of it for awhile.

• Locked thread