Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

So, was I supposed to do something else or something? I think you skipped me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok so uh...What should I do?

Sorry this will be the hand holding I'd mentioned.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Retro Futurist posted:

Punch a man.

What are you wanting to do? I can help build a roll that way.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Defiance Industries posted:

So, was I supposed to do something else or something? I think you skipped me.

I was going to put all the Xandar updates at once, but didn’t finish before I had to head to work. Sorry...will have it up when I get home.

Retro Futurist posted:

No problem! So let’s say you want to put together a basic attack roll. You start with your solo die. Next see if you can justify a distinction (you almost always can, and should) and decide if it’s D8 or D4. Then you pick the power you want to use from your power set (or more than one if you have multiple power sets) and add that die. Then pick an appropriate specialty if you can (often Combat). You can add an asset or stunt, or use an opponent’s complication against him/her/it.

Make the roll and remember you generally want both a high number and a high effect die.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
To add to Ibntumart's explanation, you should also keep your SFX in mind when putting rolls together. So, for instance, if you wanted to attack both... biological ship thingies, you could use your Area Attack ability to add a d6 and keep a second effect die for the second target. You can also combine SFX for fun and ludicrously huge die pools!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok so say I wanted to hook one of them with a chain and smash it into the other (using Bound by Chains I think), can someone whip me up what that would look like? Hopefully that'll be enough for me to figure it out in future but I've literally never gotten this far in a game.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
First and foremost, this is gonna be useful for everyone: http://nerdnyc.com/tmp/marvel/Hero-Cheat-Sheet.pdf

As for your pool:

Solo d10 (you're alone)
Spirit of Vengeance d8 (You're the spirit of fuckin' poo poo up and this isn't hindering you, so it's a d8)
Superhuman Strength d10 (You're using your might to wrap the chains around the guy with one throw)
Weapon d8 (Since you're using your chains)
Bound by the Chains d6 (since you're entangling one guy)
Menace Master d10

So 3d10, 2d8, 1d6. Roll that and whatever you pick for an effect die, you step up by one due to the bound by the chains complication you're making.

Next round, you can add the Bound by the Chains complication in your roll as an extra die to inflict physical stress, but this round it's just a complication.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok and here's where I sound really stupid, each of those is a dice yes? So ultimately I have 3 ten sided dice, 2 eight sided ones, and a six sided die, and I just roll them all and hope for a big number?

edit: Oh ok that cheat sheet is a big help

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Was in the middle of typing this up when I saw Dyne answered first, but might as well post my answer too.

Retro Futurist posted:

Ok so say I wanted to hook one of them with a chain and smash it into the other (using Bound by Chains I think), can someone whip me up what that would look like? Hopefully that'll be enough for me to figure it out in future but I've literally never gotten this far in a game.

Simple enough, using Bound by the Chains means you want to create a complication then. Basically, actions tend to either cause Stress (damage, can be either physical, mental, or emotional), Assets (gives either you or someone else a die that they can use in any actions or reactions that make sense for it to be used, will last until the end of the scene or until narratively appropriate), or a Complication (works like an Asset, but you give it to someone you don't like, and then anyone targeting that person with an action or reaction gets to use the die). Feel free to ask more questions about this, it tends to trip up new players.

For assembling your action pool, first we start with your affiliation. Solo if you're on your own, Buddy if you have one other person watching your back, or Team if more than one person is with you. Since right now it seems you're by yourself, you would use your Solo die, which is a d10.

Next is a distinction, choosing between Spirit of Vengeance, Protect the Innocent, or Deal with the Devil. Use whichever you think fits what you want to do, and decide if it's helping or hindering your action. If it helps, you add a d8, if it hinders, you add a d4 but also gain a Plot Point (PP), which can be spent on SFX's and other bonuses. Spirit of Vengeance as a d8 will probably work for most of your actions as Ghost Rider, however you can choose to use any distinction you want if you can justify it.

After that, you can add one die from each of your powersets. Assuming you are Ghost Rider right now instead of Johnny Blaze, that means you get to use Visage of Vengeance and Implements of Vengeance. Superhuman Strength d10 from the first and Weapon d8 from the second make sense for binding some space bugs with a chain, so let's go with that.

Then we get to specialties. Since you are fighting, Combat Expert d8 is easy enough to justify, but there's a special rule for specialties that pays to keep in mind. Instead of using an expert specialty as a d8, you can "split" it into 2d6, giving you more dice. Master specialties meanwhile can be either a 1d10, 2d8, or 3d6. Usually you want to get to around 5-6 dice in your pool to have good odds at doing whatever you want to do, so a good tactic is to split your specialty dice when you have too few dice in your pool and keep them large when you have plenty of dice. For now, let's split Combat Expert into 2d6.

Finally, use whatever SFX's you want and that make sense, remembering that some of Ghost Rider's SFX's cost PP's, while others are free to use on certain actions. Bound by the Chains can only be used when creating an Entangled complication, which you are, and gives you an extra d6 to your pool. Since you're targeting multiple space bugs, then you'll want to use Area Attack as well, which gives you extra d6's for each target past the first, and lets you keep multiple effect dice (you need a separate effect die for each target of your action).

...which, uh, will require you to ask ibntumart how many enemies there are, so you know how many extra d6's to add. But once he does answer that, your dice pool would look something like this:
Solo d10+Spirit of Vengeance d8+Strength d10+Weapon d8+Combat Expert 2d6+Bound by the Chains d6+Area Attack ?

You would go to Orokos, click on Roll some dice, and in the dice to roll field, type in 2d10+2d8+3d6
Well, the number of d6's would be more, based on how many extra targets you're hitting with Area Attack. Anyways, once you roll, you pick two dice to add their results together, which becomes your total. You want your total to be as high as possible in order to actually hit your opponent. Next you pick out your effect dice. Normally you'd only get one effect die, but Area Attack gives you an extra effect die for each additional target. For effect dice, the number they rolled doesn't matter, only the size of the die. So a d10 makes for a better effect die than a d6, even if that d6 rolled higher.

The one exception is any dice that roll a 1. Those dice become opportunities, and cannot be used for anything. They basically cease to exist for you, which is why you wan to roll 5-6 dice. Too few, and a couple of unlucky 1's could severely limit your options.

This was a very long post, but hopefully this will start to feel simpler for you as you get some practice making rolls. Never be afraid to ask any of us question if you get confused, this game doesn't exactly explain itself very well.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention Bound by the Chains also increase your effect die size by one step, so if you used a d8 for an effect, it becomes a d10 instead. Using this SFX with Area Attack is one of those weird edge case things that aren't really addressed in the rules, but depending on how ibntumart feels either the first effect die or all of your effect dice will be stepped up to the next larger size.

Astus fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 9, 2018

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
That's right. You roll them, set aside the 1's, and then make the biggest number you can. Your effect die is more powerful the larger it is, and since this is a complication with your chains, it will get stepped up. So if you use a d10 effect die that will get stepped up to d12.

If it is, and you beat them by 5, then they get automatically knocked out of the fight, and I'd say you would get a 'Chain Wrapped Prisoner' asset to throw at people. :v:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Please just have Ghost Rider question what the ships are, when they look like "some kind of bat, but from out of hell."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The good news is once you figure out how to put together a dice pool you understand how to do 99% of the game (the rest is lending expertise to another player and getting/spending XP)

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Astus posted:

You would go to Orokos, click on Roll some dice, and in the dice to roll field, type in 2d10+2d8+3d6

You can also do this in Orokos with 2#1d10;2#1d8;3#1d6 to get the individual rolls without adding the results.

I'm also new to MHR so if you notice me doing anything particularly wrong or foolish let me know, it's probably not on purpose.

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 9, 2018

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh no did I break it again :ohdear:

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Retro Futurist posted:

Solo D10, Superhuman Strength d10, Menace Master d10, Spirit of Vengeance d8, Weapon d8, Bound by the Chains d6
Chaining and dragging a gunship: 3#1d10 4 5 7 2#1d8 4 8 1d6 6
7+8=15, with a d6 Effect die

I tihnk you could keep your result of 15 and still have a higher effect die, you still have two d10s and 1d8 and unused? So your "entangled" complication could be at d10 (stepped up to d12 using SFX bound by chains), adding an aditional d10 (maybe also stepped up to d12?) from your area attack since you have two d10s still unused.

I don't think you are getting any benefit from using the d6 effect die rather than a d10, since you have them available. Like Astus posted below, "a d10 makes for a better effect die than a d6, even if that d6 rolled high".

So with the same roll, you could get 7+8=15, with two one d10>d12 Effect die, potentially inflicting d12 entangled on both one gunships?

Astus/ everyone, is this correct?

Edit: oops, no area attack, thanks

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 12, 2018

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
He didn't use an area attack, though, which he could have but yeah. He adds a d6 for an SFX he has for when he uses his chains to give things complications, but you're 100% right elsewhere.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hmm that makes sense. I'm honestly not sure why I picked the d6 there I probably wasn't thinking right

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Sorry for no updates the past few days... I've been chugging cold medicine after my commute (thankfully not before) and have been super loopy the past few nights before passing out. Probably for the best Xandar did not have tourists visiting from the Cookie Monster planet, in other words.

Hoping to get out of work early today and not take anything stronger than coffee tonight.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

ibntumart posted:

Probably for the best Xandar did not have tourists visiting from the Cookie Monster planet, in other words.

Hard disagree

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Retro Futurist posted:

Hard disagree

:same:

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Pretty sure it's canon now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Lager posted:

Pretty sure it's canon now.

If one doesn't show up, I'm adding a Cookie Monster Nova member when Herman gets back to HQ. Y'know, if he makes it back there before the whole Corps gets Annihilation Wave'd.

• Locked thread