Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Halcyon City is the world’s largest metropolis. Skyscrapers cluster around the center, ever expanding skyward in order to create more space for companies to work, while the industry toils endlessly to provide for the ever growing demands of the citizens.

The population is growing at an explosive rate, and it feels like the city grows bigger every day. There are many reasons to come here, but a lot simply are here for a sense of wonder. For reasons not quite understood, Halcyon City has an anomalously high percentage of metahumans. As this is noticeable even among immigrants, some people immigrate here for the sole reason of wanting to develop a superpower.

However, with this massive increase in population also came a massive increase in crime. The senior heroes, those who have protected the city for multiple generations, simply can no longer cover the entire city by themselves. Heroism itself became somewhat institutionalized. Optimized. Patrol routes were planned out in advance, coordinated with others. But even that simply is no longer enough.

The city needs more heroes. It needs heroes… like you!

It’s Masks! again.

Masks is a PbTA about teenage superheroes. It’s about finding the middle ground between being a hero and impressing your crush, between cramming for the finals and saving the world.

It’s a system that is quick to pick up and learn, being based more on the narrative than mechanics.

Other Things

I’m not one to be too strict regarding powers choices. If you think you have a good idea, feel free to do so – just check in with me beforehand. What’s a lot more important to me is that the power fits the theme of the playbook – some are more focused on their powers than others. What I mean by this is that it doesn’t really matter what powers a protégé has (as long as it stays within the general ‘power level’ of the playbook), but a Transformed with godlike beauty would be completely oxymoronic.

Feel free to discuss anything with me! You can find me on this Discord server, also known as the server where the game will be on.
Alternatively, you can send me a PM here on SA. I prefer Discord, though, and expect you to be active on it, what with the game being run on Discord and all. PM's should only be used as an alternative if I am not currently online.

As a general note, I am okay with any playbook, even the new playtest ones (but do be well aware that they are, in fact, WIP and it shows).

I’m looking for 4-6 players, and I’ll be closing recruitment around January 21st. I am willing to extend this deadline should enough interest arise late in the recruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Interest post! Gonna post a Legacy
- - - -

Onmyōji

My name is Katie, and for as long as I can remember... I've been able to see Kami.

Kami are everywhere, they're in every thing. They're the street you're walking on, the book you're reading, the rain clouds about to ruin your walk in the woods (oh my god, the woods are just suffused with Kami!). They're responcable for making sure things work. But they're living beings, they have moods, emotions, wants, needs. Say you're trying to cross the river, but you've disrespected it's Kami, you're gonna get splashed! Or if it's a really powerful Kami, then you might just get washed away in a flash flood. This is why Onmyōji are important! They can see the Kami, who are normally invisible, and can look after them and stuff!

My family comes from Japan originally, they were like, super awesome priest wizards! Fighting off evil! And protecting people and stuff! They were just like the coolest. They were totally anime before anime was a thing! But then World War 2 happened. In the end, they moved to the USA, and that's where we've lived ever since! We continued our traditions of looking after the Kami, but we couldn't do it properly, people give us weird looks when we wear the traditional clothes. (Have you seen those split hip pants?! Oh my god, I love them, but there's no way I'd be caught dead in them!) We had to adapt. Work in secret. In the shadows. When the superheroes came about, it was the best thing ever! We could step out into the light. Get stuff done without being judged for it! Now everyone knows about our family! Or at least, they thing they do. See, we're the Spirit Callers! heroism runs in the family, and now I'm making my big appearance!

quote:

• When did you officially become a part of your legacy?

I was born into it silly! Though... My parents... they're not super into the whole Super hero thing. See. Mom was kinda a run away from the rest of the family. She wanted a normal life, and so, when she and dad got married in secret, it caused a huge fight! Eventually she and the rest of them came to an understanding, but I didn't get to meet them for the first ten years of my life. When I did meet them though... BEST DAY EVER!!! I met so many Kami, and my uncles aunts cousins and grandparents are all so awesome! Looking back, no one was really comfortable, but at least they were talking again! Oh, and I met a dragon!!!

What was I talking about? Oh, right. So, here's the thing... my Mom doesn't know I'm a super hero. She doesn't know that I got the Okay to join the Spirit Callers ether. She'd... well, she'd probably kill me if she knew. But I am. I want to use these powers of mine! I want to help people! (I want to be an anime dammit!) They weren't super on board, because I'm missing half my education in our powers, and I started super mega late. But I'm never gonna let that hold me back! And after I used my patented Katie eyes on them! (Like puppy dog eyes, but like, super cuter! Like X2 puppy dog eyes!) they agreed. I mean, it's not all official. Because we're supposed to have bonded with a spirit for life who becomes our permanent companion. And I haven't yet... And I've had to make a costume out of all of the cos-play I used to do. But I'm still totally a member! Wooo!

quote:

• What’s the greatest accomplishment of your legacy?

Oh man, there was the time we stopped Oda Nobunaga resurrecting as a vengeful Yokia! Twice! We rode off the fame of that one for a few centuries and even got into the Japanese court. Our magical methods even became a whole part of the government! It was just totally awesome! These days most of our battles go unseen. Because we decided that preempting things before they happen rather then solving them once they had was a really good idea. So now our greatest achievements are mostly known to the Kami! Like the "Nearly-Opened-Orochi's-Tomb-incident" or the time "Susano's-Mirror-Wasn't-Stolen" Or "Yukie-Ona-Got-Friendzone'd-Super-Hard". All totally amazing adventures. You just have to read about them in the family archives!

quote:

• How does the public perceive your legacy?

People think we're kinda oddballs, I guess. I mean, they can't see all of the Kami who are everywhere! Oh, uh, do you have any more of those biscutes? There's a Raiken here who's just soooo cute! Who's a good boy! Who's a GOOD boy?! Is it you?! I bet it's you! Ababgabgabgahabab!!!!

...please stop looking at me like that... it's a... okay, so there's this kinda Kami called a Raiken who's a Shinu-Ina dog with this tiny drum around his neck, and they herd lightning and stuff! They're just so cuteeeee! Ah, I could just die! And just like that, you've seen the problem. When no one can see what you're dealing with, you can look really kinda crazy. So a lot of the Family work from the shadows. Grandpa is like some kinda spy master, dispatching Kami to find stuff out and rough up any bad guys! Some of them can be really strong too. So it goes all Paranormal Activity and things get thrown around and stuff. There's this one guy who thinks we're all fake psychic, or something? I don't really know how we can still think that after all the times Uncle saved him. But I guess some people are always stubborn.

quote:

• How does your legacy tie into your reasons for being a hero?

Because... they can teach me things no one else can! I mean, yeah, I can see the Kami, and interact with them. But commanding them is super hard. Or what about stepping into their world? Or messing with peoples minds and stuff? I'd never be able to work that out on my own! But it's more then that... they're legends, the family name carries an authority, it's like a badge of honour. It get's us listened too. Without our past, we'd be... two bit conjurers. But our legacy has weight, even our doubters know we've been around since super heroing started! We're like....ummm... uh.... dogs! We're like dogs! We've been here since the beginning, and not everyone likes us. But we're kinda and warm and loving, and we'll never back down and we've got these perky little ears and we love belly rubs and... and... and I'm going off track. Seriously... where was I going with that?

P-Point is, the Kami wouldn't listen to me without my blood. So I'm going to embrace my heritage, and be the coolest hero ever!

quote:

• Why do you care about the team?

I love Kami, they're amazing, and wonderful, and awesome!

But... they're not... I can't date a Kami, I can't go out and have fun, or party with them. Not unless I want everyone to think I'm crazy! So, having some human friends. That would be totally cool

Especially if they don't think I'm crazy. Like everyone else at school does.

NPCS

Akihiko Ketsumi is still active and prominent in the city.

Uncle Ketsumi is like, really old school, but he's the full old school public face of the Family. He's Mom's brother, really nice and charismatic. He's really good at the talisman magic, so people can see he's got powers! He's also a total film buff! I've never even heard of half the references he makes. If only he made more anime references we'd totally be on the same level!

Fuka Kobayashi A.K.A Katie's Mom is retired and quite judgemental.

Mom is... kind of a dragon. When I was a little girl when I was worried about Monster's under the bed, she'd chase them away. I mean literally chase them away. With a broom. I think she was crazy powerful back before she married Dad. He's really normal. So he's not allowed to know about... all the things. But Mom? She's super crazy not allowed to know about this!!

Momoko Kamata is the next possible member of your legacy.

She's like my Cuz five times removed! (our Family is kinda huge! Oh man, we're totally a Clan!!!) I love her to pieces! She's so spunky! She's already got the most adorable tiny tiger Kami! They're keeping her on Kids stuff so far, but she's totally hard core! She eats Wassabi! On it's own! While staring you down! Barely even flinches!! She's so cool!

Oda Nobunaga is the greatest opponent your legacy ever faced...and is still at large.

So... we might have dropped the ball on this one. After we moved to America, Nobunaga somehow got up and free. But the bonds still on him limit his ability to rip a hole in the world and to let the Yokia out into the human realm. Sooo... he's mad at us? Yeah, I'm personally hoping I don't have to face him. Nobunaga is bad news. Bad bad news.

quote:

LEGACY NAME The Onmyōji
REAL NAME Katie Kobayashi
Look: woman, Asian-American, "trendy" clothing, unique costume, letter insignia
Abilities
You have powers that match your general line. Choose one suite of powers, but pick two powers that you don’t have from your suite: (reflavoured Shadow set)
❑❑ Kami control, Spirit portals, Mind-Clouding, Walk Unseen, Spirit Caller's eyes.

Labels

FREAK +1
DANGER -1
SAVIOR +2
SUPERIOR +0
MUNDANE +1

Legacy Moves

Fight the good fight:

When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll +Savior instead of + Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to impress, surprise, or frighten your foe.

Symbol of authority:

When you give an NPC an order based on authority they recognize, roll + Savior. On a hit, they choose one:
- do what you say
- get out of your way
- attack you at a disadvantage
- freeze

On a 10+, you also take +1 forward against them. On a miss, they do as they please and you take -1 forward against them.

Legacy

Your legacy is an important part of Halcyon City. Name the different members of your legacy (at least two):

Akihiko Ketsumi is still active and prominent in the city.
Fuka Kobayashi A.K.A Katie's Mom is retired and quite judgmental.
Momoko Kamata is the next possible member of your legacy.
Oda Nobunaga is the greatest opponent your legacy ever faced...and is still at large.

Whenever time passes, roll + Savior to see how the members of your legacy feel or react to your most recent exploits. Before rolling, ask the other players to answer these questions about your performance. Take -1 to the roll for each “no” answer:
- have you been upholding the traditions of your legacy?
- have you maintained the image of your legacy?
- have you made the other members of your legacy proud?

On a hit, one of them offers you meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage. On a 7-9, another is upset with your most recent actions, and will make their displeasure known. On a miss, something you did stirred up the hornet’s nest—expect several members of your legacy to meddle with your life.

Moment of Truth

This is the moment when you prove how much the mantle belongs to you. You seize control of all your powers, and you defeat even impossible odds to prove you are worthy of the name you carry. You accomplish feats even your predecessors couldn’t do. Of course, after you prove something like that, you can expect still more responsibilities to be placed on your shoulders...

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them whether you see them as an equal. If you do, give them Influence over you and mark potential. If you don’t, shift Superior up and any other Label down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your legacy (including your own true feelings about it) to clear a condition and give them Influence over you.

When our team first came together...

All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Relationships

You once got caught doing something that shames your legacy with Flaire

So Flaire invited me onto this webchat livestream thing. I was super nervous, I mean, IT'S FLAIRE!!! I had to stop myself screaming in excitement when she asked me to do it in the first place! So she starts asking questions, and I'm trying so so hard to impress her. I'm laughing at her jokes, I'm putting up the 'V' sign. I'm trying to be every bit the cool cute Super girl I know I can be! But I was trying so hard to be impressive, I didn't really think about what I was saying....

I mentioned Oda. Our greatest enemy. Our dirty little secret. Uncle Ketsumi got questioned about it almost immediately. The Family when into damage control. And even Flaire thinks they did a good job. Even if they were sniping at her to do it. Ahhhhhh why's this so unfair! I got chewed out by The Spirit Callers, and they disprove of Flaire! This is the worst thing ever :'(

You trust Chromatik and told them an important secret of your legacy.

Chromatik is... well, she's something else. She knows a lot of stuff. It's really hard not to ask for the lottery numbers or anything. But, well... she's not from this time. So I thought it be safe to confide some stuff in her. So... uhhh, Grandpa has been alive for like, 300 years. Technically, under classic deffinition he'd be a Yokia. He died battling Oda Nobunaga, but his body lived on because of his rage. He's refused to be put down until Nobunaga is banished for good. I'm kinda terrified that even once that happens, he'll refuse again.

Influence

You’re a part of this team, for better or worse, and you care what they think. Give Influence to all of your teammates.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 21, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

The 35th century is a time of wonders that you all can't even conceive of. War? We've had global peace for generations. Scarcity? I'm not even sure what that is. No, seriously, I don't know what that is. Fill me in, okay? Thanks~ And crime? Well, we're still stamping out that. There's just this one last guy, right? Professor Chronogeddon. Ugh, what a jerk. Can you believe that the Universal League of Justice pulled me out of my Andromeda tour just to spearhead the final push? Oh! Right. Probably should mention that: I'm kinda a big deal in the future. Biggest pop star in the universe? Twelve galacta-iridium albums? You'll have to trust me on that, I suppose, since it... hasn't happened yet. Ugh, time travel makes my head hurt.

Right, so they found Professor Chronogeddon's secret lair. I have to admit, it was pretty well hidden. Nobody would have guessed he'd stick it in the middle of a singularity, but... he did. So me and some other heroes from the Universal League of Justice — Pandoria, Ultimax, and Zetta-Sigma-Seven-Ex — launched our attack. There were a ton of his chronobots to beat through, sure, but it's not like any of them were enough to put a scratch on us. No, it was pretty clear that he was just trying to buy time... but we didn't realize for what until it was too late. By the time we reached his inner sanctum, he'd bored a hole through time-space with his Chrono... Tunnel? I don't really know what it's called. Usually he's pretty good about monologuing and giving you the full technical details. Anyways, all sorts of chronotron distortions started popping up. I'm not, like, a crazy time scientist, but it didn't take a huge mental leap to figure out he was up to some time shenanigans.

So, while the rest of the team did their best to maintain the chrono tunnel, I barreled on through... to the past!

quote:

• How did you travel from the future to the present day?

Professor Chronogeddon's chrono tunnel! It's like you aren't listening to a word I'm saying, or... wait. Did I tell you that part already? Ugh, time travel makes my head hurt. Well... whatever. It spit me out in downtown Halcyon, right in the middle of one of your quaint super-squabbles, and that's pretty much that! There wasn't any real sign of Professor Chronogeddon when I came through, though, so... that kind of sucked!

How am I supposed to catch this guy, stop him from janking up the future, and get back home myself if don't know where he went? Honest question, there, I'm open for any 'pointers' you can throw my way.

quote:

• What keeps you from returning to the future?

There wasn't any sign of- Wait. Are you goofing on me? Is this one of your old-school Earth jokes? Oh my god. How did you even survive three centuries of this so-called humor? Alright, alright. For the sake of argument, I'll explain things one last time. I can't just leave the Professor alone in the past, right? Who knows what sort of insane dystopia he'd turn the future into! And... uh... y'know, he's the time-travel guy. I kinda hitched a ride. So... yeah. I might be a little stranded.

quote:

• Why don't you have perfect recollection of the future?

Oh, that one's easy! My chronitron isolation matrix — standard issue for anyone who fights the Prof and his time bullshit — was c̭̹͖͛͒̋͞o̳͙̬̝͈̅͐̃͡r̻̦̲͌̍͌̂̋́r̷̠͂ͤų͙̰͂̋̊͌ͦ͛ṗ͒̀͏̰̟̲̺̘t͕̥͚̪̤ͧͨ͗ͮ̓̆̕ȩ̗͚̗͖͔d̂ by excessive chronitron bombardment during the whole chrono tunnel deal. So... that's not ideal. Basically, what's going on is that I'm more or less insulated from the timeline changes that might result from his tampering. Or, to be totally fair, mine. But my internal historical records? Yeah, those are pretty much junk now. They get rewritten often enough that they're more interesting than useful. Like when I tried to look up what's-her-face (the cool one on the team, other than me), about all I could get was that she was a hero and then either... uh... ended life as we knew it or won a nobel prize. Either or.

Luckily, I think I've gotten that particular outcome ironed out? Took a little surreptitious talking and prodding and timeline tinkering, but... I think it worked! Pity about the nobel, but... it's not like she ever technically won it, right?

...Yeah, I'm gonna keep that under my hat anyways.

quote:

• What is the one thing you know for sure you've already changed for the better?

Well! That one's actually pretty easy. In about thirty years, a shadow organization working within the confines of your government goes rogue and launches an attempt at creating some sort of new world order. It actually works for quite a while. Like decades! Eventually some scrappy rebels take them down and free everyone, but it really puts a crimp in culture and global wellness for centuries to come!

Well, anyways, they won't. Not anymore. Have you ever seen someone having just the worst day? Like the kind of day that makes you want to destroy and/or take over the world? I have! It was this average looking guy. Joe, I think, was his name. Or Dave or something. Sounds like a nobody, right? Well, thanks to me and a little bit of applied cheer, he'll remain a nobody!

...In a good way!

Yep, turns out this guy was the org's supreme-leader-to-be. All he really needed was a break from the shittiest day of all time and, with luck, he won't try to take over the world!

quote:

• Why is this team the one you must join to achieve your mission’s goals?

My tacsims and predictive algorithms were pretty darn firm that this was the most historically significant collection of heroes in the 21st Century version of Halcyon City. And, you know, maybe there were some ulterior motives. The aesthetics that some of these heroes have is so... fashion forward! They wear such cute clothes! I'm secretly a giant super-fan of one of them!

...Er, uh, forget that last part.

quote:

Hero Name: Chromatik
Looks: Woman, Genetically Optimized, Augmented Face, Streamlined Clothing, High-Tech Costume
Abilities: Futuristic Gadgets and Implants

Labels:
Freak =0
Danger =0
Savior +2
Superior +2
Mundane -1
Future +1

Moves:
□ You Haven’t Learned You Can Do That Yet:
When you teach a teammate a new, never-before-performed trick that they’ve never considered, spend a Team from the pool and they can unleash their powers, directly engage a threat, or defend someone using your Superior as if it was their Label. Any costs or complications from their move affect you, as well.

The Light of the Future:
Are you from a bright future that must be saved or preserved? Or are you from a dark future that must be destroyed and replaced with something better? If you are a bright harbinger, Future starts at +1. If you are a dark harbinger, Future starts at -1.

Future represents how you see the current future of the world. The higher it is, the better the Future you think the world has. The lower it is, the worse off the future you think the world has. Some of your moves will call for you to roll + Future. In those cases, treat it as any other Label. When you realize the role that someone plays in shaping the future, mark a condition and roll +Future. On a 10+, pick two from the bright list. On a 7-9, pick one from the bright list, and the GM picks one from the dark list. On a miss, the GM picks two from the dark list.

Bright
● You know what they’re planning.
● You’ve got exactly what they need.
● You know what’s coming to harm them.
● You know they have an answer you’re looking for.

Dark
● They know all about you, your mission, and your vulnerabilities.
● They are after someone you care about.
● They have an ally present who is working against your mission (whether or not they know they are).
● They are doing something other than what history has told you to expect of them.

Regardless of outcome, record their name:
__________________________________ ______________________________________

When you record someone's name here, they gain Influence over you if they did not already have it. At any point in the future, if you accept their Influence when they tell you who you are or how the world works (or will work, thanks to them), the GM may adjust your Future accordingly, along with any other adjustments to your Labels.

When you are Insecure, the penalty applies to your Future as well.

Moment of Truth:
This is the moment when you decisively alter the course of your own past, the future of this world. Take one inevitable outcome that’s about to happen right now, and reveal how you’ve already put things in motion to make it change course. You’re in the driver’s seat for the future in this moment, and everything you’ve ever known will be different from here on forward. Of course, this new future you’ve forged might not be the one you’re after, and who knows what might come back from it to put a stop to you...

Team Moves:
When you confess to a teammate the difference between what you thought they would be and what they really are, add a Team to the pool, and ask them whether this pushes your Future towards light or darkness. Shift your Future up or down one as fits their answer, and grant that person Influence over you if they don’t already have it.

When you share a tale of future loss with someone, ask them if they think you have the ability to avert that loss. If they believe you do, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they don’t, mark Guilty and shift one Label up and one Label down (your choice), and shift Future down.

When our team first came together…
We averted a disaster from the future’s history books. What was the disaster? What effect do we hope it had on the timeline?

Relationships:
____________________ turns away from the hero’s path, according to your history books. You have to prevent that from happening.
You’ve always looked up to ____________________, but it’s too awkward to admit it to them now that you’ve met them in real life. Keep it cool, keep it cool.

Influence:
Every member of your team has the power to change the future—your future. Give everyone influence over you.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 14, 2018

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Edit: Going with Soldier!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0038RmOtzU

It doesn't take long for Ryuko to run 500 laps around the training field. It only took her 20 minutes to run that many times around the large field, and yet, she looks unsatisfied by her performance, as if she feels like she could do better than this. It takes Ryuko a bit to realize that she's not the only one on the field today. "Ah, you must be the recruiter the commander was telling me about," she stands up straight, and gives a formal salute, "Private Ryuko Ishikawa, Kurogane, at your service." She drops her salute to pick up a nearby water bottle and towel, "I am prepared to answer any questions you might have for me, so please, ask away."

quote:

• What inspired your service?

"Hm. I suppose you could say being a soldier is in my blood. Both my parents, Shou and Rin Ishikawa, were agents of A.E.G.I.S., and they both had a strong sense of justice, always fighting for what they believe to be right, always protecting those who need protecting. My parents were good people, which made what happened to them all the more tragic."

"They were betrayed by someone they trusted. Wolfgang Silvermane, a man my parents considered a close friend and a valuable ally, revealed himself to to be an agent of Ouroboros, an organization bent on controlling the world, after he had lead them into a trap. This whole time, he was using their trust against them, and once he had no more use for my parents, he decided it was time to dispose of them."

"I was there when it happened. I was following them in secret when I shouldn't have, and I saw it, the moment of his betrayal, and before I could do or say anything, there was an explosion, and the whole world went blank. When I woke up, I noticed my arms and legs were replaced with mechanical limbs. The explosion had left my body badly damaged, and if it wasn't for Professor Rockwell, I don't think I would've made it."

"Unfortunately, I can't say the same for my parents. The explosion took their lives. My parents, the people I looked up to the most, were now... gone."

"That's when I decided, that from that day forward, I would work to continue on their legacy. So I trained. I trained hard, everyday, for the past two years, using my new body to my advantage, to be the best agent I could be, to be someone they could both be proud of. My parents may be gone, but they still live on in my heart."

"Do I resent Wolfgang for what he did to them? Hm. I'd be lying if I said I didn't, but as much as I hate that man, I can't let myself be blinded by revenge. My parents wouldn't want that. I do not know what I will do if I see him again, but I will make sure he will face justice for his crimes, one way or another."

quote:

• What do you admire about A.E.G.I.S.?

"We are agents of justice, protecting the peace of this world. We work tirelessly to ensure the people are safe from superhuman threats. We are the shield that protects the innocent from evil, and we are the hammer that brings down justice on those who wish to harm them. We bring the light to the darkness, shining like a beacon of hope to those who need it, and as long as A.E.G.I.S. is still around, no evil shall go unpunished."

quote:

• Who within A.E.G.I.S. is worthy of your trust?

"Hm. I would say there are two who I would say have my complete trust. The first is Professor Rockwell, who I owe my life to. I would not be here today if it wasn't for her, and though she can be a little... eccentric, she has a good heart, and I've been going to her regularly to do some check-ups on my limbs. She has told me often that I need to learn to 'lighten up a little,' and quiet frankly, I'm not sure what she means by that. I'm plenty light already, thanks to her expert engineering, and I am not sure how I am able to lighten myself up more? She has also given me a cell phone, and if I am honest, I do not understand most of the messages she sends to me. She uses these things she calls "ee-moe-gees" a lot, and I am not sure how to respond to them."

"Anyways, aside from her, the other person would be Commander Irene Hawkeye. Commander Hawkeye was a close friend of my parents, and she was the one who gave me an opportunity to be an agent, and she has even offered to train me personally. Her training was strict, and she has forced me to go beyond my limits multiple times, but it's thanks to her training that I was able to be a proper agent of A.E.G.I.S. The commander has done a lot for me over the past two years, and for that, I am grateful to her."

quote:

• Why were you assigned to lead your team?

"That's... hm. I know the commander has assigned me the role as leader, since she believes I have the potential to be one, but I am... not sure if I believe that. For the longest time, I've been a soldier following the orders she has been given, and the idea of suddenly going from that to giving orders is... strange, to say the least. Perhaps the commander sees something in me that I do not? I cannot say for sure. My parents were leaders, but I... am not. I will give it my best try, but if I am being honest, I would not mind passing the role of leader to someone else who is worthier than me. I just do not think being a leader suits me."

quote:

"When you're out in the field, fighting whatever evil may be out there, you need people you can trust, people you know who will have your back, and we can accomplish so much more together than we would alone."

"...That, and Professor Rockwell has told me that this would be a good opportunity to actually have friends who are my own age, which is... true, I suppose. I haven't exactly had that many friends growing up. In fact, I've had none, since I've been spending a lot of my time training, and doing field missions. I guess it would be nice to have people to discuss tactics and battle strategies with. That would be an appropriate thing to talk about with friends, right?"

The Soldier posted:

Hero Name: Kurogane
Mask: Soldier
Look: woman, asian, lean body, simple clothing, no costume

Abilities
□ augmented/mechanical limbs
□ super strength and speed

Labels
Freak -1
Danger +0
Savior +3
Superior +1
Mundane +0
Soldier +2

Moves
■ Before we get started: When you take the time to closely observe your opposition before a battle, roll + Savior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1 and mark a condition. During battle, you can spend your hold 1 for 1 to name a character you observed and...:
● ...redirect their attack to another character or nowhere—into a wall or the sky.
● ...cross a distance between them and you.
● ...disarm them.
● ...ignore all harm to yourself from one of their attacks.
● ...escape any bindings or restrictions they attempt to place on you.

□ More than a shield: When you directly engage a threat by heading directly into danger without hedging your bets, roll with Savior instead of Danger. On a miss, your recklessness puts someone else into grave danger; the GM will tell you what it takes to keep them safe.

The Company
You work for A.E.G.I.S., a metahuman law enforcement agency. It employs soldiers, spies, and other military forces to keep the country safe. Your superiors have asked you to lead a team of young superheroes—men and women just like you—to protect Halcyon City. You have an additional Label:

Soldier -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3

Your additional Label functions like any other Label. Those with Influence over you can shift it, and you mark a condition if it would ever shift above +3 or below -2. You cannot cancel the influence of adults who work for the Company. You cannot lock Soldier. When you’re acting on orders and relying on your training, spend 1 Team from the pool to use Soldier instead of any other Label when you make a basic or playbook move. When time passes—or between sessions—your superiors may have orders for you: roll + Soldier when you receive such orders. On a 10+, both. On a 7-9, pick 1. Your superiors:
● give you useful resources or information
● aren’t hiding secrets or misleading you

On a miss, they demand that you undertake a dangerous mission that puts you at odds with your friends and allies.

When you ask A.E.G.I.S. for additional resources or information in the middle of a mission, roll + Soldier. On a hit, they’ll resupply you if you’ve got reasonable needs. On a 10+, the resources inadvertently reveal new secrets about the Company’s capacity or interests. On a miss, your request creates an opportunity for enemies within the Company to act against you.

Moment of Truth
Freedom isn’t free, soldier. But you don’t always have to bear the price alone. When your back is up against the wall, when things look bleak, when there is no hope of winning, you lead the Company to victory. And in this moment, they follow your orders. Tomorrow, you’ll have to answer for your choices. Today, you find victory on your terms.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them what you admire most about their work on the team. They can clear a condition or mark potential, their choice. If they give you Influence over them, they can do both.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them what cause they serve and tell them about your own. If they describe a cause you find worthy, give them Influence and clear a condition. The next time your superiors give you orders, take a miss on the roll instead of rolling.

A.E.G.I.S. put me in charge of the team at a crucial moment in the fight. Why? What went wrong?

Relationships
You served with ______________ on a “mission” long before you became a hero.
_______________ is a loose cannon; you’ve clashed with them before about their sloppiness.

Influence
Respect is earned, soldier. Tell one of your teammates what they did to earn your esteem and give them Influence. Everyone else will have to match their efforts.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 15, 2018

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Hello, I'm Tamar, and I am extremely lucky to be the superhero Shikra. You haven't heard of me? That's okay, I'm pretty new to the community.

I grew up in Halcyon City, watching heroes and villaisn battle it out, ever since I could remember. But my family isn't the secret protectors of the helmet of Zeus, or the last in a long line of Sorcerors. No mutant genes.
Nobody is a genius inventor. We are pretty well off, but aren't the Kardashians or anything. So I just studied, and played soccer in the fall, basketball in the winter, and softball in the spring.

While on a family vacation to Egypt, I purchased a pendant of a Shikra, it's a type of goshawk. A few months after getting back to the city, the pendant started to emit this green glowing energy. Except, nobody could see it glow, except for me. I've learned now from working with Spiritess that it is just a focus for my psionic abilities. Anyways, she kind of stepped in and tweaked the memories of the people that witnessed the first use of my power. Which since it was her son I was protecting, she kind of owed me.

quote:

When did you first use your powers?

So I'd been wearing the glowing pendant for a few weeks, and this new kid transferred into school. Let's call him Esau, because boy howdy did nobody at school like him. They started to pick on him immediately, like it's his fault that his hair is kind of mossy, and he has a wierd slime problem. So, like a bunch of people were messing with him, after school, and he was trying to get away, but they kind of surrounded him.

It made me so angry, I guess I never really liked bullies, but that day I just felt bad for Esau. I was working my way through the crowd, when I saw one of the creeps hit Easu in the stomach. I screamed Stop! Don't hurt him! and I heard a series of clicks, and they all stopped and just waited for me to give them another command. I pulled Esau up, and I didn't know what to do, neither did he. His mom, Spiritess, showed up moments later, apparently she had been tied up with Gamma Squad on Monster Island, anyways she tweaked their memories so that they didn't remember my command.

quote:

Who was the first person you accidentally hurt with your powers?

I'm so embarrased. So I was listening to a police band radio stream on my iphone, floating over our neighboorhood, with a green ski mask over my face. And I heard a report of a burglary from an address I recognized, the Johnsons over on Oak Trail? Yeah, so I flew there, and I looked down and saw someone running down the street with a bag of what looked like Mark and David's gaming systems. So I meant to land in front of him to
stop him. Except I mistimed my landing, and well my feet connected with his head. He was knocked unconscious, and I was able to fly away before the police arrived.

quote:

Who, outside the team, helps you control your powers?

Spiritess

So you know she is one of the founding members of Gamma Squad, she's been an active super hero for almost 30 years. The gamma squad bio says she is the last living Atlantean Sorceress. Her son, he doesn't have any sorcerous abilities, he takes after his dad a nature demigod from the Amazon. They aren't together anymore. Anyways, she has helped me to develop my abilities without destroying my parents house or the neighbors garage. She owes me for helping out her son, so she helps me learn about my powers when she has time. But she was so busy she didn't know that Esau was getting bullied, so she's not exactly around a lot.
When she figured out I was trying to be a hero on the sly, she helped me design my costume, and then had it made for me. Which is pretty awesome.

quote:

Why do you continue to use your powers?

Are you kidding? I can fly. and make people stop what they are doing. Of course I want to help keep people safe. Who wouldn't want to do this? Growing up I wanted to be just like Venus, or Mr. Justice. And now I get to. Nobody is going to keep me from doing that.

Also, I don't know how to quit using them. I mean, sometimes, I get a bit scared, when I see what I can do if I let go.

quote:

Why do you care about the team?

We are better together than separate, and I like being a part of something bigger than me. Also, maybe they can be the ones that will help me if I lose control. Keep me from becoming the bully.

quote:

Hero Name: Shikra
Look: Woman, Middle Eastern, glowing skin, fashionable clothing, fantastical costume
Abilities: Telekiniesis and telepathy
Labels:
Danger: +1 Freak: +3 Savior: 0 Superior: 0 Mundane: -1
Conditions
o Afraid (-2 to directly engage a threat)
o Angry (-2 to comfort or support or pierce the mask)
o Guilty (-2 to provoke someone or assess the situation)
o Hopeless (-2 to unleash your powers)
o Insecure (-2 to defend someone or reject others’ influence)

Burn:
Overcharge: You channel the full capacity of your incredible powers to overcome an obstacle, reshape your environment, or extend your senses. Spend 2 burn to take a 10+ when you unleash your powers..
Worship: You put out a tremendous display of your might. Spend 1 burn to awe an audience into silence, respect, and attention when you unleash your powers.
Moat: Spend 1 burn to create a barrier that will hold back threats as long as you keep your attention on it. The GM may call for you to spend another burn if the barrier is threatened by particularly powerful enemies.
Move: Spend 1 burn to move to any place you choose within the scene, breaking through or slipping past any barriers or restraints in your way. Spend a second burn to move to any place you’ve previously been.

Moment of Truth
Your mind’s eye opens, and you can see the world around you like never before. You can control it, at will, with ease. Of course, warping reality tends to have ramifications down the line, but in your moment of godhood...how could you possibly be worried?

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them how they’re awesome and add a Team to the pool. If they tell you how you’re awesome in return, add another Team to the pool.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice.

We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did we destroy?

Relationships
You hang out all the time with __________________ to blow off steam.
You once hurt ________________ when you lost control of your powers.

Influence
Choose your demeanor: happy façade.
If you choose happy facade, give Influence to three teammates.

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 13, 2018

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Interest

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
CTRL ALT DELinquent WIP
BUFFERING:ovr:

• How did you get your powers?
"Power negation" is a mutation caused by the fallout from nuclear tests that reached my grandparents, it made me the first known metahuman in my family, with all the power of the Einstein quote about World War IV. "Hacking and Gadgetry" are from being "profoundly gifted" and making lemonade out of growing up where evil corporations dumped their e-waste. All those parts that are juuust out of spec, or one generation old phones were my toys.

• What do you do for fun?
Doxx body snatchers. Space alien parasites, magical mind controlling sorcerers, shapeshifting mimics, or clones. Some people have a lottt of clones and I always root for them to turn out to be good ones. But too often they don't and I tip someone off to investigate them. I'm not always right... but I'm never wrong! It's fun because they do funny things when they mess up. Fish out of water stuff, and I like watching them fail. And recording it.

When I'm not being a snoopy dog, I eat a lot of spicy food and work out for sweet endorphins and so I can punch people out when I take away their powers. It's especially awesome when a mimic has copied someone with big muscles or metal skin or something but they're using telekinesis to model the actual strength and resilience those things would have. I take them away and they get knocked out by an enby teenager. One punch!

• Who, outside the team, thinks better of you than you do?
My mom thinks the world of me, it's too much. I'm gonna break her out of jail and help her clear her name or fake her death or something one day, I swear... the bounties I collect–for white hat hacking, usually–go right into her commissary fund.

Dad thinks I should start a superhero mma league and become "super flyweight champion." His whole shop gets all riled up with fists come up on TV, then get disappointed and go back to work when a fight ends with flying around and laser eyes or something instead of a right cross. They can't call that fight anymore, and the cameras usually suck at following it. Fight with me, though, and it's fists only, no items, final destination to the sweet end.

• Why do you try to be a hero?
So, whenever I'm doing anything, and it sucks and I hate it, I think to myself, "Who's the next worse person who could take my place?" That usually fires me right back up, because the next best hacker and gadgeteer is a villain and everyone else with power negation doesn't do it like me: they do it one-way. They turn off someone's power so they can beat them down with theirs. When I turn off powers, everyone's more equal. Sometimes they have to use their big person words to solve their problems instead of just throwing a tantrum and blowing up everyone who tries to stop them. And, coming from nothing like me, that's where I can shine. I can use what I learn about people by facebook stalking them and reading all the stuff they typed and then deleted and thought no one else would be able to read and get through to them... Or sucker punch them!

Batman voice: I let them get too close, now I'm stuck with them. I have no choice but to play the hand I was dealt! And I'm lonely.

Buffy will only ever respond to this question in character as the Batman. The heavily encrypted diary full of messy and embarrassing true feelings will self-destruct on opening if not hacked and on closing without having its powers dampened.

quote:

HERO NAME Buffering...
REAL NAME Buffy, after the singer. So, short for Beverly, in reference to beavers! My old out-of-touch parents weren't into the vampire slayer lol

Look
• ambiguous, transgressing, woman
• Black, Hispanic/Latino, Indigenous
• laughing eyes, jaded eyes, untrusting eyes, hateful eyes–they're real expressive... under the mask.
• casual clothing, ragged clothing, rebellious clothing, garish clothing–reflective in a way that messes up flash photography, just because.
• ridiculous costume, cheap costume, no costume–it's a grim reaper halloween costume. The most important part is the veil, which has a digital display that can fool bad cameras and blind good ones. Buffering can see through it on her side, unaided human eyes can tell it's displaying a 2D image if they get close enough. Usually it's just showing the disrespect skull though.

Abilities
Your powers are messy, deceiving, or frustrating. Choose two.
❑ gadgetry and hacking
❑ power negation

Labels
+0 DANGER
+1 FREAK
-1 SAVIOR
+2 SUPERIOR
+1 MUNDANE

Delinquent Moves
❑ I don’t care what you think!: Whenever you
reject others’ Influence, add +2 to your roll.
❑ Team? What team?: When you use Team selfishly,
clear a condition or mark potential. The first
time in a session that you use Team to help a
teammate, take +1 forward.
❑ Criminal mind: When you assess the situation,
you can always ask one of the following
questions, even on a miss:
- what here is useful or valuable to me?
- how could I best infuriate or provoke
____________?
- what’s the best way in/way past?

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 13, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Protege? Okay!

Oh hey, name's Danny. I'm a fuckin' superhero, how are you? Probably shouldn't be blabbing about that, though. Hojo'll get mad at me again. Eh, you know what, screw that fart. I'm Armor Knight! The...second one. Hojo's obviously...the first one. Though I wouldn't blame you for not knowing about him, he was more active a couple decades ago.

So, you wanna know about Armor Knight? Well, to know about Armor Knight, you gotta know about two other things: Barbatos and I-Energy. Y'see, there's this stuff that permeates throughout the world called I-Energy. It's short for Ishinomori Energy. Y'seen Star Wars? Kinda like the Force. And Barbatos is an underground organization that's studying the effects of I-Energy on humans, though their motivations aren't...really that noble. At first, they tried to directly infuse people with I-E, but the human body alone can't take that power, and they were transformed into monsters! So the top scientists at Barbatos thought, "Hey, it's energy. What do you use with energy?" That's right, a generator.

About 20 years ago, Barbatos kidnapped a college student named Ren Hojo. They outfitted him with some cybernetic parts that allowed his body to process and distribute the I-E in a healthy way. That's where Armor Knight comes from. Well, one of their researchers busted him out, and he spent the next decade fighting them off, and it seemed to work. Nothing had been heard from Barbatos for 8 years. Then they got me. Some of the remnants of Barbatos had refined their tech and aimed to make me into the successful version of their experiment from 18 years prior.

quote:

• How did you first meet your mentor?

Well, luckily for me, Hojo had caught word of Barbatos' activities, and crashed the party. Luckily, they hadn't finished brainwashing me yet, and history repeats itself, we fight our way out of there, I become a badass superhero and the next generation of Armor Knight.

quote:

• Why did they agree to train you?

The training thing was actually Hojo's idea. After we were clear, he offered me the chance to learn to use my powers for the good of the world. Said he was getting on in years and wanted to see the Armor Knight name live on. I said I'd think about it, and he told me to meet him at the research district of the city.

quote:

• When and why did you choose to train with them?

And trust me, I thought long and hard about it. I've never really been worth much for poo poo, just kinda flittin' from job to job with no real purpose. This...I could finally have some use for other people, I guess. I got this cosmic generator and this badass power armor, what else am I gonna use it for, right? So I met him at what happened to be a research company he had started to look into benevolent uses of I-E. Also happened to be Armor Knight's HQ. So that's what I'm doin' right now.

quote:

• Who else, outside of the team, knows about your training?

Reiko Tachibana is the former Barbatos researcher who had a change of heart and saved Hojo those years ago. She also acted as his main point of contact during the fight against Barbatos, and continues that job with me. She's also in charge of developing new gear for the Armor Knights to use. She's a bit cold, but it's hard to deny her genius and how handy it's been.

quote:

Even though my name is Armor Knight the NEXT, I wanna prove that I'm my own hero. Branching out into a team of my own is gonna help me do just that. Also, it's...kinda nice to get some friends outside of Hojo's lab. They're nice, but a buncha fuckin' dweebs, know what I mean?

quote:

Hero Name: Armor Knight the NEXT
Look: Man, white, fashionable clothes, mentor's garb
Abilities:
Shared: Power Armor
Own: Impossible fighting skills
Mentor's: Superhuman physique

Mentor: Armor Knight (the PRIME)
Embodies: Savior
Denies: Freak

Labels

Freak 0
Danger -1
Savior +2
Superior +1
Mundane 0

Protege Moves

Venting frustration

When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the Label your mentor denies and clear Angry.

Fireside chat
When you seek advice from your mentor, roll + the Label they embody. On a hit they will tell you what to do. On a 10+, mark potential if you follow their advice, and take +1 ongoing to follow through. On a 7-9, you get +1 forward to see it through if you do it their way. On a miss, they don’t have time for you because something big has gone down; mark a condition, GM’s choice.

Heroic tradition
When you give someone the advice that you think your mentor would give, you can roll + the Label your mentor embodies to comfort or support someone, instead
of rolling +Mundane.

Mentor's Resources

Vehicle (Knight Mount, a custom motorcycle)
Communicators
A weapon of last resort (Codename The FINAL)

Moment of Truth

The moment that you show who you really are: your mentor, or something different. You can do whatever your mentor could do and more. You can do the incredible, even the things they always failed to accomplish. Of course, they’re not going to see you the same way, no matter which path you choose…

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 13, 2018

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Oh Hi, nice to meet you I'm so glad you took time out from your busy schedule to talk to me. I'm Judith but I usually go by Malleo Dei. Yeah it's not a great name is it? It's supposed to mean Hammer of God but I think I mangled the translation a bit. I'm not all that good at Latin, it's just like all the good superhero names were taken and I kind of wanted to use something that stands out while also displaying my faith and well that was the best I could come up with. It'll do for now I suppose but if you have something better in mind please let me know this kind of stuff is hard for me.

quote:

How did you gain your skills?

Practice and hard work. Our old Pastor used to put it best "a healthy body leads to a healthy mind and a healthy mind leads to a healthy soul." That said when it came to physical exercise I think my mother would have preferred I did something more ladylike than Brazillian Jiu-jitsu but I've always been a bit of a tomboy and well living in a city with the highest crime rate in the US means a girl should know how to protect herself, after all god helps those who help themselves. I did consider the other martial arts but there's not many that are designed to allow a smaller and weaker practitioner to consistently win against bigger and stronger opponents. Oh sorry I'm lecturing again, It's just I've had this argument so many times with my family it's kind of become reflex now. Other than that I do a bit of gymnastics just for fun you understand I'm nowhere near good enough to compete professionally but it's been great for helping me improve my balance and build my general physical fitness. I usually spend a couple of hours each day training at one or the other of these.

quote:

When did you first put on your costume?

I'm ashamed to admit it but I never thought of using my skills for heroing until a crime hit close to home. See our church has had a leaky roof for as long as I can remember, so we decided to finally do something about it. You won't believe how many fundraisers we had. Bake sales, yard sales, sponsored car washes, Pastor Dominic even spent half a day in a tub of baked beans to raise money! In the end we finally managed it but just as the Pastor was taking it to the bank he was jumped and robbed by a group of young wannabe criminals. The police couldn't do anything they were busy cleaning up from that incident with the irradiated monkeys downtown or was that the week the ambassador from Romania was kidnapped? Anyway something way more important than a simple mugging and the established heroes all had their own problems to deal with. No one seemed to care. No one except me! By this point I'd been getting pretty good at jujitsu so I thought I could handle myself. So I pulled on a makeshift costume I made from an old t-shirt and my brothers old hockey uniform and set out ready to punish the evil doers! Honestly it didn't take much to track them down these weren't exactly master criminals and I found them in an old abandoned warehouse. It didn't take much for me to sneak in and listen to them and I was shocked by what I heard. No not by the language although it was rather coarse and foul but what they planned to spend their ill-gotten gains on. Not drugs or weapons or alcohol but on food for their families, clothes for their younger siblings, medicine for sick relatives. I guess that's why I gave them a chance to be better people and stepped out openly and asked politely if they'd give themselves up without a fight. I think some of them might have if their leader hadn't stepped in. God he was all muscle that one and tall, taller than me anyway. "It's only just a girl, we can take her!" And you know what they probably could have. So I challenged him personally to a fight. I could see him weighing the odds and he must have decided they were in his favour because he stepped up with a nasty grin on his face. Of course the grin turned the other way a few minutes later when I was sat on his chest and bent his arm backwards so quickly that I... um kinda broke it maybe cause I was a little annoyed about the just a girl thing . Anyway uhhm, after that his fellows were if not happy willing to give me the money back after that and I decided to let them all go. I mean no harm had been done right and everyone deserves a second chance? Long story short everyone at church thought I was a hero and I even made the local paper! Admittedly on page 19 between the entertainment news and the sports pages but still it's a start right?

quote:

• Who, outside of the team, thinks you shouldn’t be a superhero?

My older brother Paul. He doesn't approve of me going out there and trying to make a difference. He says that I'm just a normal person and one of these days I'll get myself killed because I'll be in over my head and trying to fight someone or something I shouldn't. He means well but he doesn't understand. I'm one of the best martial artists in our school and my teacher says he'll put me forward for a black belt as soon as I'm old enough. And besides I wouldn't be dumb enough to take on something too far beyond me. I'm not that stupid I'll leave that sort of thing to my teammates.

quote:

• Why do you try to be a hero?

Because God gave me these talents and it would be a sin to hide my light under a bushel. Besides how does the phrase go again? "All it takes for evil to triumph is that good people do nothing." Well I'm going to do something. Halycon needs good people to stand up and fight the good fight and if I can make life better for the people of the city then that's a job well done.

quote:

Because they're mostly good people. Well except for him and her, and maybe him. Ok, they're not all great but they try their best and maybe I can help them be better. I'm not the strongest or the smartest or the fastest but if I can help them be better people I'll have made a difference.

quote:

Hero Name: Malleo Dei
Real Name Judith Jones
Look:: Woman, White, Naive Face, Simple Clothing, Iconic Costume
Abilities: Martial Arts, Acrobatics

Labels

Freak: -1
Danger: -1
Savior: +2
Superior: 0
Mundane: +3

Beacon Moves

Straight. Up. Creepin’.:

When you scope out a person or place, roll + Mundane. On a 10+, ask two. On a 7-9, ask one.
- what’s my best way in/out?
- what happened here recently?
- what here is worth grabbing?
- who or what here is not what they seem?
- whose place is this?

On a miss, you find yourself in over your head. The GM will tell you why this is a bad spot.

Won’t let you down:

When you help a teammate, you can spend 2 out of the Team pool to add +2 to their roll.

Drives

Choose four drives to mark at the start of play. When you fulfill a marked drive, strike it out, and
choose one: mark potential, clear a condition, take Influence over someone involved.
When your four marked drives are all struck out, choose and mark four new drives. When all
drives are struck out, change playbooks, retire from the life, or become a paragon of the city.
  • lead the team successfully in battle
  • kiss someone dangerous
  • punch someone you probably shouldn’t
  • help a teammate when they most need you
  • take down a threat all on your own
  • outperform an adult hero
  • pull off a ridiculous stunt
  • save a teammate’s life
  • get drunk or high with a teammate
  • drive a fantastical vehicle
  • get a new costume
  • get a new hero name
  • earn the respect of a hero you admire
  • make out with a teammate
  • punch out a teammate
  • break up with someone
  • stop a fight with calm words
  • tell someone your true feelings for them
  • travel to an incredible place (or time)
  • reject someone who tells you “you shouldn’t be here"

Moment of Truth

This is the moment when you show them exactly why you belong here. You do any one thing, take out any one enemy, no matter how insane, no matter how ridiculous, because that’s you. Their jaws are gonna drop when you’re done. Of course, pulling off a stunt like this tends to bring unwanted attention and a dangerous reputation...

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them how they’re awesome and add a Team to the pool. If they tell you how you’re awesome in return, add another Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it,
mark Angry and shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice.

We found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?

Relationships

____________________ is awesome, and you take every chance you get to hang out with them.

You’ve got to prove yourself to_____________________ before you feel like a real hero.

Influence

You are so excited to be here. Give Influence over you to three of your teammates.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 14, 2018

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Ferrosol posted:

A Beacon shall appear here.

Suppose I can't just bring Bravura back then! :-)

Got a few ideas, may try the new Harbinger.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Platonicsolid posted:

Suppose I can't just bring Bravura back then! :-)

Got a few ideas, may try the new Harbinger.

Bravura? Man, that is way back. The memories!

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Flaire, the Star of the Show

https://twitter.com/PhoenixFlaire/status/953405106854203393

quote:

@PhoenixFlaire #FlaireAMA When did you first get your start as a hero, and when was the first time you hit the big leagues?

Ohhhh, two good questions right off the bat! What a great way to start this off - nice job @FlaireFan96!

For your first question, I suppose I've always been a hero - I know that sounds conceited, but it's also the truth* Being a hero is an elite calling and one I'm proud to heed, but heroes are obviously born and not made - and I guess I just got lucky~ Sticking up for kids in my schools, volunteering on the weekends to help the less advantaged, donating my allowance to charity**, that sort of thing - I mean, it wasn't a big deal of course, it's just the sort of thing that's always come naturally to me, just like my powers do. I'd love to recommend some specific charities I've worked with, but I'd encourage you all to fall your own hearts instead <3.

And I didn't really decide to become a professional hero until a few months ago though, and then only since it's obvious Halcyon City really needs my help. I love being a superheroine, don't get me wrong, but it was fun being a regular high school student too***. Still, with so many villains menacing the good people of this city, it've been selfish of me to not use my Phoenix Flames to shine like a Torch of Liberty for the fine people of this city - and that's just what I did against the Fearsome Firebrand - guy has a dumb name by the way, between my loyal fans and me :3.

Firebrand's a little esoteric, even if all the damage he inflicted downtown isn't - he's a spellcaster from a parallel dimension and a leftover from the Crossover Crisis, which is the sort of sentence you get used to saying as a hero. The point is he was giving some of the more elderly, 'veteran' heroes quite a lot of trouble, since neither his fires or magic had the standard weaknesses. He may've actually beaten 'em, but who should show up in their hour of need but little old me? Quick as you can say 'Flaire you're amazing!' I whipped that guy no trouble, since my Phoenix Fire's more than a match for any other flame, in this reality or any other. Sure, I let them take most of the credit for taking him out - gotta pay your dues in this industry, same as any other - but you can definitely see me in my first costume in the pictures in the Halcyon Herald****! I'll link them later for Patreon subscribers to check out.

* It's not.
** She did some of these things on rare occasions.
*** She ditched school the instant she got her powers.
**** Flaire's actually in the picture, but obviously she did less than she said she did.

quote:

@PhoenixFlaire #FlaireAMA OMG How'd you get your powers? Is it true you don't burn things with your magic you don't want to?

Good questions @Waifu_flaire (change your account name maybe?), but I gotta make sure you're not trying to copy me - sadly for the whole world, my powers are one of a kind. Wouldn't it be great if there were more people like me? Halcyon would be crime-free within days. As is, I'm the one and only Legendary Phoenix, and I got my powers the same way ever Phoenix ever has before - by being born with a special soul*. Like I said, I'm very lucky! I did have to practice my magic of course - in secret, since I didn't want to risk my friends and family - but thanks to my power, I'm basically already one of the strongest pyromancers in the entire world**!

As for my flames, you're right - they only burn what I want, and with the intensity I want, limited by a lot of complicated factors like range and my available 'essence' so to speak and how I'm feeling. Everyone thinks that I just fling fire around, but they don't realize that Pyromancy is so much more than that. I can even use them to fly!***

* In actuality, Elyse gained her powers by seeing the battle between Firebrand and a bunch of prominent heroes on the news... and then driving there the instant she could, getting out, and literally waiting around in the hopes of gaining a power. Insane as that plan is, she did actually recover one of Firebrand's magic orbs and bond its power to herself on complete accident. As for being a Phoenix, it sounds a lot more glamorous to her than 'stole my powers without knowing how'. Gaining Firemagic also made the formerly plain Elyse substantially more attractive and full-figured, because that just seems to be a part of how some superpowers work.
** This isn't true at all.
*** Extra-dimensional Fire magic's weird like that. She leaves a trail of fire while flying and everything.

quote:

@PhoenixFlaire #FlaireAMA Who, outside of the team, supports you constantly and eternally, no matter what you put her through?

Way to humblebrag @MaridaDash~ Guess I might as well answer your question though!

Marida designs costumes for most of the big name heroes in town, and has for over two decades - sorry girl, everyone knows you age slower than you should. Listen, if you think I'm a heroics expert, I'm nothing compared to her. She's basically a walking talking encyclopedia of everything metahuman or mutant or powered or whatever you want to call it; despite not having any combat powers herself*, she's probably got a dozen people in her phone that can do just about anything you could name.

Anyways, I mentioned she makes costumes for important heroes, right? She made mine for me. Said my earlier one was too elaborate and impractical, and you know what? She was right. I'm loving this stylish as hell witch hat and coat combo I've got going now, it's super distinctive. She's got good taste in general, which is why we're such close friends**. Hit her up on twitter or at her blog (in her twitter profile) if you have questions for her!

* Marida does; Flaire's deliberately lying as opposed to not knowing about them. Long story short, don't mess with Marida.
** She let Flaire, right after gaining her powers and running away from home, crash on her couch for a few months before she started making enough off youtube and streaming to afford her own place.

quote:

@PhoenixFlaire #FlaireAMA Who, outside of the team, loathes what you represent? Loath means hate, Flaire.

I imagine all villains everywhere resent my heroism, @BunnyBat2 - did you expect me to answer you for this question? Nice try!

If I had to pick a single person though, it'd be @FalloutBoy (that's a fan account and not the actual him, don't all tweet how much he sucks unless you want to~). I totally helped prevent him from holding the Waterfront Amphitheater hostage in the middle of a performance by the band that kicked him out (apparently super-villains make bad drummers), and he took it personally. Ranting at me about being a poser and a fake hero and how he'd expose me for who I really am. Typical villain ranting, I bet he was just thinking about what I look like under this stylish uniform - and I've seen the fanart, I know a lot of you all are too. Sadly you're all out of luck~

He is threatening though. Despite his horrible sense of fashion, he's got a post-apocalyptic mindset, like an evil playthrough of a Fallout game basically. Underhanded, brutal, and not above resorting to bloodshed when it's not even close to appropriate... and I'm reading right now on a few news sites that he's broken out of prison. Lovely. My life just got more complicated.

quote:

Good question @PhoenixFlaire - and can I be the first to say that costume looks amazing on you?

I care about my teammates because we're all in this together. We're all trying to make the world a better place, and even a talented and experienced hero like me will admit that having someone to watch your back* can be helpful every now and again. Besides, all the best heroes have a supporting cast - they're mine, and I'm going to take all of us right to the top!

* Translation: some badguys are immune to my fire and I need help with them.

quote:

Secret Identity: Elyse McKenzie
Screen Name: PhoenixFlaire
Mask: The STAR!
Look: Woman, White, Charming Smile, Preppy Clothing, Transformation Sequence, Stylish Costume
Origin: Phoenix Soul (actually Stole an Artifact's Power)
Abilities: Fire Magic

Labels
Freak: +1
Danger: -1
Savior: +1
Superior: +3
Mundane: -1

Moves
Time for the Show
When you put on a flamboyant display of your powers, roll + Superior. On a 7-9, name one NPC present. On a 10+, name two NPCs present. The named NPCs must either volunteer help or information, express admiration, or ask for your help, GM’s choice. On a miss, your display catches someone watching in the wrong way. On a miss, your display catches someone watching in exactly the wrong way; brace yourself.

Cold and Cruel Hot and Bothered
When you shut someone down, roll + Superior. On a 10+, you either inflict a condition on them, make them lose Influence over you, or take Influence over them, your choice. On a 7-9, you either each inflict a condition on the other, or both lose Influence over each other, your choice. On a miss, they gain Influence over you.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, say whether it's part of the show or not. If it is, then you can shift your Labels as you choose. If it is not, then they shift your Labels, and you can clear a condition or mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they will tell anyone the truth about you. If they agree to keep it a secret, clear a condition or mark potential. If they don't agree, then they shift your Labels according to how they see you now.

The Audience
You are a celebrity in the city—although being a celebrity doesn’t always mean you’re liked. By default, your audience is a limited group of interested fans, and you speak to them through afteraction interviews and infrequent press conferences. Why does your audience love you? Mark all that apply.
● You're charming, well-spoken, and smart.
● You’re a noble warrior for justice.
● You're stunning, unique, and beautiful.

Choose two advantages
● Your audience is utterly devoted to you.
● You can easily speak to them at any time.

Choose two demands your audience makes on you
● They require constant stimulation.
● They require novelty and brand new action.

When you seek help from your audience, roll+Superior. On a hit, someone in your audience can hook you up. On a 10+, they'll only make a small demand. On a 7-9, their demands are a lot higher. On a miss, you've made a mistake, and your audience won't help you until you've redeemed yourself in their eyes.

We, as a team, attracted media attention within the city, thanks to our efforts. Who are they? Why do they support us?

Relationships
__________________ might wind up being more of a star than me some day.
__________________ would be a great sidekick.

Influence
Choose how you see the team: as a means to an end, or as something worthwhile on its own. If you see the team as something worthwhile, give three teammates Influence.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 17, 2018

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Sierra Novalis the Nova
Gravity Girl!
Theme song!

quote:

• When did you first use your powers?

Eighth grade softball match. No, really. Okay, so it was PE class and we had to play, and...eh, not so much my thing. Whatever, I was out in the outfield chatting with Carrie when Dave hit this wildly improbable fly straight at me. Like, literally. I saw it out of the corner of my eye and when it was about to hit my head it just...stopped, hovering in the air. Couldn't really hide that. I'd manifested.

Lucky me.

quote:

• Who was the first person you accidentally hurt with your powers?

Ooof, my best friend, Katie, Freshman year. Even if I wasn't flashing my powers all the time, word still got around, people wanted demonstrations. And Katie, she'd been there at that softball game, and we went back to grade school. So after school my classmates want to see what I can do. I do some basic stuff, toss backpacks around, deflect some dude's football. That thrill from using my powers ripped through me. Katie wanted to get levitated, so....

...up and up and up....and that's when my powers fritzed out. I hadn't learned my limits so I didn't know I had to recharge. Katie came *crashing* down! She flailed and wound up smacking the ground hard, broke both her legs and needed two months of rehab. I felt *awful* and she was pissed, for a while.

And that's why I won't levitate you for kicks.

quote:

• Who, outside the team, helps you control your powers?

There's a team of scientists over at the University that's been studying me. Some of them, meh, whatever, but there's one, a post-doc named Andromeda Brown, who's pretty cool. She's like, half the age of the other profs, we talk music and stuff between rounds of tests. They're still not sure how I do what I do, just that I can do it and it's real, just like real gravity. Dr. Rommie says I'm like star, which is cool if you think about it that way. Definitely helps keep me calm while I'm being poked and prodded and asked to perform, which...seems to make my control better too!

quote:

• Why do you continue to use your powers?

I. Can. Fly. See, I'm doing it right now. Hovering, anyway. I can tell your jealous.

quote:

Well, I have my friends at school and everything, but they can't quite relate to me the way the team can. They've all got powers, however they got them, understands the ups and downs of having them, that stuff. Lets me let me hair down, as it were.

That and protecting the city, that stuff.

quote:

Playbook: The Nova

Look: Woman, White, normal skin, casual clothing, colorful costume
Abilities: Gravity Manipulation

Labels
Freak +2
Danger +1
Savior +0
Superior +0
Mundane -1

Burn
❑ Shielding - You call up a fast protective field to stop a danger. Spend 1 burn to defend someone else from an immediate threat, rolling + Freak instead of + Savior.
❑ Moat - Spend 1 burn to create a barrier that will hold back threats as long as you keep your attention on it. The GM may call for you to spend another Burn if the barrier is threatened by particularly powerful enemies.
❑ Move - Spend 1 burn to move to any place you choose within the scene, breaking through or slipping past any barriers or restraints in your way. Spend a second Burn to move to any place you’ve previously been.
❑ Snatch - Spend 1 burn to use your powers to seize any one object up to the size of a person from someone within view.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if there is any fear in their
eyes when they look at you. If they say no, take +1 forward and mark potential. If they say yes,
immediately shift your Danger up and Savior down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them how they could stop you, if
it came down to it. Give them Influence over you and clear a condition.

Moment of Truth

Your mind’s eye opens, and you can see the world around you like never before. You can control it, at will, with ease. Of course, warping reality tends to have ramifications down the line, but in your moment of godhood...how could you possibly be worried?

Influence

Choose your demeanor: happy facade or locked down.

If you choose happy facade, give Influence to three teammates.

If you choose locked down, give Influence to one teammate.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 14, 2018

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Interest post. Maybe a Doomed.

SKINer
Sep 15, 2017

quote:

THE JANUS
HERO NAME: Frog Girl
REAL NAME Sidney Simpkins

Look
• woman
• Asian
• boring clothing
• flashy costume
• character mask,

Abilities
Your appearance is unchanged by your abilities, and you can keep your
powers hidden. You have heightened physical abilities (strength, agility,
toughness), and choose two unique abilities:

❑ supernatural senses- Can detect motion, enhanced hearing and vision,
❑ impossible mobility- Can wall crawl and leap incredible distances. Ambidextrous in both hands and feet.

Special note: Tongue can stretch out great distances and can stick to surfaces. Her tongue is super tough, being able to resist getting cut. Also, like a lizard, she has a high skin regeneration rate, able to heal cuts and bruises quickly. Whether or not she can regenerate lost limbs has yet to be determined.

Labels
Danger +1
Freak 0 (+1 added here)
Savior 0
Superior 0
Mundane +3

Moves

The Mask
You wear a mask and hide your real identity. Choose what Label you try to embody while wearing your mask:

❑ Freak

Once per session, you can affirm either your heroic or secret identity to switch your Mundane with your mask’s Label. When you reveal your secret identity to someone who didn’t know it already, mark potential.

Game face
When you commit yourself to save someone or defeat a terrible enemy, mark a condition and take +1 ongoing to all rolls in direct pursuit of that goal. At the end of any scene in which you don’t make progress towards that goal, mark a condition. When you fulfill your goal, mark potential.

Mild-mannered
When you try to use your civilian identity to deceive, trick, or slip past someone, roll + Mundane. On a hit they buy your facade.

On a 7-9, choose one:
- you’re still under observation
- you leave something incriminating behind
- you’re forced to make a fool of yourself to sell it

On a miss, one of your civilian obligations rears its ugly head.

Secret Identity
Your mundane life comes with a series of obligations. Choose a total of three obligations.

Jobs: Intern
School: Photography club
Home: Household chores

When time passes, roll + your Mundane to see how you’re managing your obligations. On a hit, things are going pretty well—you have an opportunity or advantage thanks to one of your obligations.

On a 7-9, you’ve lapsed on one obligation, your choice. On a miss, you haven’t given your normal life anywhere near the attention it deserves; the GM chooses two obligations that are going to bite you in the butt

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they see you as the person wearing the mask or the person underneath. If the former, mark potential and clear a condition. If the latter, take Influence over them if you reveal yourself.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about who you really are. Give them Influence, and shift your Mundane up and your mask’s Label down.

Moment of Truth
The mask is a lie, and some piece of you has always known that. Doesn’t matter if others can see it. You’re the one that can do the impossible. Mask off. Costume on. And you’re going to save the drat day. Of course, you better hope nobody nasty is watching…

Backstory

We saved the life of someone important, either to the city or to us. Who was it? Why are they important?

Relationships
_____] knew you from your civilian life first.
You refused to tell _____ your secret identity when they asked.

Influence
You look up to your teammates; they seem to have this superhero thing figured out. Give two of
them Influence over you.

quote:

• When did you first put on the mask? Why?

It was when I was twelve. I put on a silly novelty mask and Halloween costume, and then proceeded to leap into a burning building to save several trapped people. Been Frog Girl ever since.

quote:

• Why do you keep a secret identity?

Well... I pissed off the wrong people.

The Mayor of Halcyon is crooked. He backed the science contractors who were the rivals of my Father's research group. My father's study into lizard DNA to cure diseases was sabotaged by them (which lead to me gaining my powers). They are kindof after me because of the fear that I can bring them down.

If they knew who I am, they could get at me through my parents. Or worse. This is, of course, on top of the normal reason why a Superhero wears a mask.

quote:

• Who, outside of the team, knows about your dual identity?

My father's aide, Dr. Victoria Williams, knows who I am through simple deduction: she knew I was at the center of the explosion and yet survived it. Then, weeks later, she learns that a new hero leaped several feet in the air, lashes out with her tongue and had quick healing? Two plus two equals four.

quote:

• Who thinks the worst of your masked identity?

The Mayor of Halcyon. He managed to turn the Halcyon Times (where I'm currently an intern) against me. Be cause of this, half the city considers me a bit of a menace.

This guy is crooked and I discovered that he is also quite protected. I foolishly tried to take him down head on, but that didn't go so well.

quote:

Like minded individuals, for the most part. Roughly the same age, same ambitions, and as I've learned the hard way, it's tough being a hero alone.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Look, I know you think it's a big thing that you knocked Bank-Buster.

But it look you like nine minutes and forty-two point twenty-seconds.

I did it in four minutes and eleven point ninety-three seconds.

I mean, not it's a competition or anything. But if it was, I would've won it. :shobon:

How did you first reveal your genius to your friends or family?

I mean, they always knew, but I was busy wasting my time with games!... they said.

Look, schoolwork wasn't exactly intense, even when I leaped up a grade. I needed something that actually challenged me... so games!... until that didn't, either. Hard games were easy. Pro players were casuals. I figured if could get access to real wargames, I could real-time that kind of thing, share what I'd learned. I started by finding some military exercises, I could give them some pro advice over the radio, but when they didn't listen, I just, you know. Took control. Also, I won, since it turned out they really weren't much better than computer chair corporals.

I'm not allowed to say how. No jail or juvie, but I was banned from touching anything electronic more complicated than a SuperCOM until I came of age.

Fine. You know I like challenges. :ssh:

Why did you decide to use your intellect for the benefit of others?

Well, I'd invented the glove - I mean, props to those who did hard work before I could learn from, like Dr. Bright or the Lightmare, but it was still a lot of work tracking down their research after it'd gotten scrubbed by spooks. I mean sure, I wasn't allowed near a keyboard, but you'd be surprised what you can fit into a cartridge. At first all the glove could do was bean people with fauxels, but as I upgraded it, it needed a real way to test it. And if I was going to be supered up, I may as well do something something better than just games... or at least invent a better one. One with real-world bonuses.

And I wasn't going to trust other people with The Mega Glove. It's my baby. I'm not going full super-vee. But they took away so much I could do, they can't take this away from me now.

What accident or misfire taught you some sense of humility or responsibility?

Look, this is just between you and me. Mostly me. Trixel was supposed to just be like, a pet. An e-pet. It was a-okay for a-while, and I was pretty proud of making my own sidekick. I mean, I made a new form of life! But I just wanted it to scrub some records of me heroing around early on, and... I guess it decided that a little data isn't enough. Um. I probably shouldn't mention the scrubbing. Kind of sort of pretty much illegal, and I got frankensteined. It wiped out a lot of my data, and I haven't found a good way to stop it. I mean, usually all it does is wreck a home or a business... data-wise. But it's ruining lives. A lot of people rely on that sort of thing. And it's getting bigger. Not overnight, but I'm pretty sure. It doesn't even really know what it's processing, though it affects its personality and abilities. Not because it's evil, or that it really gets much out of it more than another meal. I just never really programmed it not to. I programmed it to like me, but it's not exactly loyal enough not to go rooting through my root folder.

This could get pretty serious, the best I've found is that I can chase it off. It's afraid when I get aggro... so far. I hope it doesn't get too big before we catch it... or it realizes I can't stop it. :pcgaming1:

Who helped you realize you needed other people?

Having a wild electronic predator on the loose doing the worm through people's personal portables, maybe? I had to get in touch with Cyonic, see about getting some adult help in getting the glove back in order. I couldn't tell her about Trixel, though. Authority doesn't have the best view of my personal record, and I'd probably just end up being locked in a log cabin even though I might be the only one with the knowledge to stop it. And I'm just starting to get a handle on heroing, and I don't want that cut short. The Mega Glove can generate all sorts of power-ups and weapons from old SuperCOM and Exodus games, and that's a easy way of saying "post-physics energy fabrications", but it's best not to think about the details. Really, don't think about the details. Or the long-term side effects. But Trixel kinda goes through The Mega Glove's makings like so much munchy. I need a different toolkit. Not that I just think of people as peripherals, but let's face it. If I could handle this solo, it'd be done. I need other tools... that... other people have.

It's not the first time I've relied on others. I mean, I have friends at school. Had friends. I still have some. You know. I'm not exactly an easy mode ally. No apologies, sorry. Still, even super-sorts aren't going to stop a cagey infovore on their own. They're going to need a pro.

I've got to help them get gooder, right? It's not just about me... well... at lot of it is about me... but not all. If we're going to have a scene, a party, a clan, I need some good others I can count on. Maybe they can be competition someday.

hahahaha

Suresure.

:rolleyes:

pre:

Hero Name: Glitch	Real Name: Zoey Zinca	Abilities: The Mega Glove

Freak +0	Danger +1	Savior +1	Superior +2	Mundane -1

Brain Moves

Always Prepared: When you have a chance to restock your supplies, hold
2-gadgets. When you unleash your powers by producing a brand new minor invention
or gadget from your supply, spend 1-gadget and roll + Superior. When you reach
0-gadgets, mark a condition.

Mission Debrief: During a debrief, when you downplay your role in helping a
teammate during the mission, mark potential and shift Superior down and any
other label up. When you exaggerate your role in helping a teammate during the
mission, clear a condition and either give them Influence or lose Influence over
them, their choice.

Tactical Genius: When you point out the obvious flaw in a known foe's plan, roll
+Savior. On a hit, you're right, and another teammate (your choice) can take
advantage; they get +1 ongoing to act on your information. On a 7-9, pick one.
  • You missed something important; the GM will tell you what.
  • You look like a showoff; your chosen teammate takes Influence over you, and you lose Influence over them.
  • You make your teammates feel like little more than pawns; your chosen teammate marks a condition.
On a miss, you've played into your enemy's hands; watch the trap spring. Your Shame: You have a deep and abiding sense of guilt for creating Trixel. Just as you are a world-class intellect, your shame is a world-class problem. Whatever the case may be, your role in its creation is not publicly known... yet. Whenever you are confronted with your shame, either mark a condition or shift Superior down and Danger up. If your shame is an NPC, they can never lose Influence over you. At the end of every session, answer the question:
  • Did you take steps to make amends for your shame?
If the answer is yes, mark potential. If the answer is no, give influence to one of your teammates. Team Moves When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they felt they could have done it without you. If they say yes, give Influence to them and mark a condition. If they say no, they give Influence to you. When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, hold 2. Spend the hold 1-for-1 to clear a condition or add 1 Team to the pool when you are with them. Moment of Truth: Sooner or later all the super powers, elite training, and world-class skills are helpless in the face of true evil or disaster. That’s when somebody like you, gifted as you are with a peerless intellect, can rise to the occasion. Your plan, your invention, or your lightning-fast thought processes save the day, in a way no one else could have foreseen. Of course, after you've shown how different you really are from them, that distance between you and the others is now that much greater. And the world is only going to act to pull you apart...

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 15, 2018

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Mist, the Reformed Hysteria

Hello, greetings, good day. How do you do? How have you been? Are you well? Have I been well? Yes, I have. Yes. Very well. ...Hm, I should be more casual. Hi. Hey. How you been? You… cool? ...That just sounds weird. Ugh. It was so much simpler when I was working by myself. Why do heroes always have to be in teams? It’s stupid. Surely at least one of these capes besides me gets hindered by tagging up with others? Should just hit one of them on ‘accident’ with my gas so they get the point. ...Nah, that’s probably a bad idea. Well, whatever, I can practice self-introductions more later. Let’s see, what would they probably ask me about…

quote:

Who mentored you in supervillainy?
Yeah, this would probably come up in an interview, right? And I would answer, “Oh, that would of course be the infamous Vogue. Shapeshifter extraordinaire, and a master of mental mind games. Though my mist was a rather more direct method than hers, she still saw great potential in utilizing it in her criminal escapades!”

...Something like that? Not like I have any real idea why Vogue took me in, but that sounds believable enough, I guess. And then, if they asked how she found me, I’d say, “We were in a race to Carnelian Bank, both individually after the same prize of glorious loot. Yet as we combatted one another in competition for the gold, the heroes of this city arrived to save the citizens from our fighting! We both managed to avoid capture, but she took notice of me that day.”

...Something like that? Technically true, although I was just sitting in the lobby debating how stupid of an idea it’d be to try and rob the joint when the capes showed up to foil Vogue’s plot. Getting spooked and releasing my mist on accident… yeah, not one of my finer moments, but at least the newspapers never seemed to realize that. Put me on Vogue’s radar too, so I guess it worked out in the end.

quote:

Who first showed you that you could do good?
And they’d definitely ask about this. Public loves a redemption story, after all. Least this one’s straightforward, just a, “That’s easy! That would be Molly-” Hm. She told me she didn’t like her hero name, but should I be so informal during an interview? ...She’ll probably get mad, but I should use her hero name instead. “That’s easy! That would be Puppeteer, the dollmaster herself. While she’s taken some criticism among the heroic community for her... ‘unusual’ tastes and methods, there’s no denying her pursuit of justice!”

That seems okay? She wouldn’t get mad if I put it like that, right? Sheesh, why do I have to watch myself for the girl who likes making creepy dolls that go boom? I suppose I shouldn’t make too much of a fuss. She was the first to reach out to me, after all. First to notice I wasn’t having all that much fun on the wrong side of the law. First to point out the bad guys get scared just as much as the good guys. Heh. Yeah, no kidding. I’m scared all the drat time. Feels good to see all those conniving jerks be terrified as much as I am.

quote:

What was your goal as a villain?
...They’d probably ask about this one too, huh. Wonder how I should answer, when I don’t even know myself. I wanted to be in control? I wanted to be the bully for once, instead of the bullied? Guess that’s not wrong, but, it’s not quite right either, is it...? Hm. I wonder why? It’s not something you really think about, right? Besides those maniacs trying to take control of the world, I suppose, but those nutjobs need to be locked up for good. Robbing banks or crashing parties is one thing, but numbskulls like that could really screw everything up if you let them.

Let’s see, if I had to tie it up with a nice bow for the masses, it’d be something like… “I wanted to feel like if I died the next day, people would actually notice.” ...Would that be too much for television? “I wanted to stand out…?” It sounds kind of ridiculous when I word it like that though. Hm. Hmm. Need to workshop this one, I think. Right sentiment, poor phrasing.

quote:

What caused you to switch sides?
This one seems plausible too. Still, I wouldn’t claim there’s exactly a single cause or anything. Few things in life are that simple. Then again, I tried to wrap up my motivations for being a villain in a single sentence, so maybe I shouldn’t be talking. But if there was anything, then I guess it’d have to be… “When I realized that after a year and a half of working together, I never knew Vogue’s real name, nor did she know mine.” Yeah. There was probably more to it than just that, but that sounds good for television, plus it’s definitely at least partially the reason. Like, come on. Partners in crime that long, and she still didn’t even trust me one bit. Meanwhile, Puppeteer is over here throwing around her identity like it’s no big thing.
What the heck’s up with that? Sure, it’s less dangerous for capes to be so open, but you’ve got a family to worry about being threatened, don’t you? ...Actually, does Molly have any relatives? No idea. Huh.

Er, anyways. Doubt that’d be enough to satisfy the crowd, so… “It’s about trust, you know what I mean? Villains, I mean, you can laugh and joke with each other, and there’s romance there too. But, you never fully trust each other. You never know for sure if you can rely on the crook beside you to have your back when things get hot. The capes though? You have that.” ...Probably. Not like I have any real idea about all this camaraderie stuff. Seems like a bunch of made up nonsense to stick a band of hothead teens together, but what do I know? I’m the one who ate up that nonsense in the end and switched sides, aren’t I?

quote:

Bleh. Care is such a strong word, but they’ll definitely ask me about something similar, so I can’t afford to botch it. “Of course, we can afford no chances when it comes to dealing with villains, so it’s for the best that we all work together!” Or, “Being around the influence of other heroes helps remind me of why I switched sides in the first place!” Or even, “It’s comforting to be around those my same age.”

...Yeah, that all sounds good, all right. Probably some truth in one of those too. Or all of them. I know myself as well as I know anyone else, which is to say, not very well, so who knows. Not me, that’s for sure. If nothing else, I guess it’s nice, this feeling of being able to rely on someone else. And… being relied on too. That’s not bad either.

Reformed posted:

Hero Name: Mist, previously Hysteria
"...What, it isn’t exactly easy to make what I do sound heroic."
Look: Man, white, sad eyes, concealing fashion, tattered costume
Abilities:
Fear manipulation (bodily generation of hallucinogenic fog)

Labels

Danger: +2
Freak: +2
Savior: -1
Superior: +0
Mundane: +0

Moves
Wrong Side of the Tracks: You always get to ask an additional question when you pierce the mask of a villain, even on a miss. When you pierce the mask of a hero (your call), add this question to the list: what was your darkest moment?

Blowing Off Steam: When you commit a misdemeanor or small “victimless” crime, you may clear a condition of your choice.

Friends in Low Places You have ties to villains from your previous career. Choose three names to fill in:

CTRL Freak - Insider Info, 2 Obligation

"Personally, I've always had my doubts calling CTRL Freak a villain, since she mostly keeps to herself without causing too much public trouble. There's been a few exceptions, enough that at least some of the public knows who she is, but she's not who I'd call enemy number one. Then again, with all the information she hoards, she's more of a threat to the city than your typical bozo slinging around fire or whatever. Not sure what her endgame is, exactly. Just making money off bartering info? Have the feeling it's something bigger than that, but well, it's not my concern anymore. ...Actually, since I'm working for the good guys now, it probably is my concern, huh. Hm. Whatever the case, CTRL Freak still seems willing to work with me, though she's been more careful than usual for obvious reasons."

Pilgrim - Cosmic Artifacts, 0 Obligation

"Now Pilgrim on the other hand, this guy's the kind of villain to make the nightly news. Very, well, religious type, just like his name implies. In the extremist sense that is, and I'd be shocked if the guy's completely air tight up there. He's a tricky one to catch, that's for sure, since he makes good use of his ability to bend light. For some reason he took a shine to me during my time as a shady sort. I was never interested in any of the stuff he was peddling, considering I was more or less just trying to get by, not blow up the whole city, but he was fond of me in his own way nonetheless. Pretty sure that's a bad thing, honestly, but the connection might be useful. Or it could get me killed, who knows."

Wiseman - Weapons, 1 Obligation

"Whew boy. If CTRL Freak's off the radar, then Wiseman's the guy operating the radar in the first place. Real talk, I've done a deal or two with him, or rather his stand-ins, and I still have absolutely no idea what the guy actually does or can do. What I can tell you for sure though, is that no crook, two-bit or otherwise, makes a move in this city without Wiseman being wise to it. Maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but guy's got a lot of fingers in a lot of pies, no doubt about it. Of all the... acquaintances I made during my time on the other side of the law, Wiseman worries me the most. Thankfully I'm not the type to go guns blazing, so I haven't had to cross paths with him all that often, but I wouldn't be shocked if he comes looking for me one of these days.

When you create your character, mark two obligations on one villain, and mark one obligation on another.

When you come to them for help with your problems, mark obligation on them and they’ll help out within their specialty. If all their boxes are full, then they won’t help you until you help them.

When time passes, roll + your highest obligation. On a 10+, they come crashing into your life with a crisis. On a 7-9, they call for a favor. On a miss, they don’t come knocking yet, but mark obligation with them—the debts are getting heavier.

When you help one of these villains with their problems, erase two obligations on them.

Team Moves
When you share a moment of triumph with someone, ask them what gives them hope for a brighter day and give them Influence.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them what they would do something dark for and gain Influence over them.

Relationships
I’ve earned the trust of _________________, and I follow their example of what a hero should be.
I did something terrible to __________________ once. I hope they can forgive me one day.

Influence
Do you talk openly about your days as a villain? If so, give each team member Influence over you.
"It isn't like it's a big secret or anything that I was a villain. Learn from the past or whatever, right."

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 14, 2018

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

An otherwise nondescript door in the middle of London. An old, heavy door from one of the last remaining Ottoman buildings in Trikala. Just one of the hundreds of apartment doors in the Palmolive Building in Chicago. A still standing archway in the ruins of Persepolis. So many doors, all leading to the one place. It was the Winter Solstice, celebration of the death and rebirth of the Sun, and time for the annual family argument at Telchines Manor.

"Andi!" Eleni, known to the world as the heroine Circe, calls out to her little sister. "I'm not mother, I can't read your mind if you're not talking to me!" She implores to little effect. Andi was still stomping off in a huff, which had been the usual result from having to talk to her parents for years now. Just as it always fell to Eleni to go calm her down again, the job of the big sister. "Come on!" She follows behind, making a few ineffectual grabs for her sister's hand. Andi, undeterred, continued on her storming out.

The manor, both immense and magical, had rooms enough that there were still many places hidden away. It is only after a couple twists and turns that both girls find themselves in a cold, dark, brickwork basement. It's here, feeling more comfortable, that Andi slows down enough for Eleni to catch up properly. "Huh." The older sister looks around at the new chamber, muttering a spell that causes candlelight to flash into being in the palm of her hand. "Trust you to find the undercroft, I guess." She smiles. Andi, turning around, doesn't seem happy at all.

Every time! Andi signs with a frown on her lips. I see mother and every time, I have done everything wrong. The scowl on her face almost said it all. She doesn't mean it. That is just how mother is. Eleni signs back, less confidently than her sister but still well practised. You do not get it! You are the first born, you are the big famous hero, you have it all. All the magic, all the skill, all the luck, and they love all of that poo poo. I get born under the Black Sun, cursed to never talk, my spells do not work, nothing. And they act like it is all my fault! The anger emanating from the young sorceress was palpable, and the tattoos along her wrist begins to glow. She silently shouts, lashing out against a nearby pillar with a punch. Her fist is surrounded by mystical hellfire, burning a dark green, and shakes the whole room.

"Andi, it's not like that!" Eleni rushes forward and wraps her sister in a hug before she can damage the manor's foundations any further. "I know I've had it easy, but that's not everything. That's boring. But you? You're amazing, you know that right?" She loosens her grip enough to look Andi in the eye. "You've had to take the hard road to get anywhere, but you've still made it. I remember mother bringing out every hidden scroll and ancient tome under the sun to try and unlock your magic so you could cast a spell; and nothing. The great Asteria was powerless, but you?" She puts a hand over the tattoo that started on her shoulder, drawn along her leylines. "You found your own way. Doesn't matter if she hates it, it's your magic not hers."

Andi finally cracks, unable to keep her anger bubbling in the face of her sister's unrelenting positivity. She breaks into a smile and nods, very quickly returning the hug. "…plus, you know what? I would kill for the freedom you have. You think mother's strict with you? If I went and got even one tat she would actually burn it off me." Eleni admits with a wan smile, letting her sister go. "Yeah, she's got me under a microscope. Being groomed to take over the family, if I'm anything less than perfect it's going to make her look bad. And you know mother, if she has to move heaven and earth to make herself look good…" With a more self assured smirk, she knocks Andi in the shoulder. "But it's worth it if it keeps mother off your back. Plus, when I'm in charge around here? Not going to let anybody talk poo poo about my little sister."

Girls. Comes thundering into both their heads, almost as if it had been drawn by mentioning her at all. Come to the conservatory, please. Right now. Vasiliki Telchines, the legendary hero Asteria, mistress of mental magic, mother to Eleni and Andreja, and not a woman anybody keeps waiting. She stood waiting over a trough of valerian saplings, weaving the stems and leaves with untold magicks. Through the glass ceiling of the conservatory one could see that the manor was not actually anywhere on Earth. In place of the sun and the sky was just a swirling maelstrom of lights and colours that betrayed the manor as slowly swimming in-between the planes. Yet somehow, these cosmic powers provided all the plants here needed to survive and thrive. That and a sprinkler system, obviously.

As the sisters enter, they are quickly stopped in their tracks by something floating in mid-air. "Andreja." Their mother coldly addresses her youngest, back facing both younger heroes. "I went to the immense trouble of binding a voice to that necklace, you will wear it." Exactly whose voice and how she did it, neither sister knew. Or asked. They had learnt a long time ago to not pry into these kinds of questions when it concerned their mother. Well knowing the futility of trying to argue further, lest the chain get bound to her neck, Andi slowly reaches out to reclaim the necklace she had tried to throw away earlier that evening and fastens it around her neck once again.

"You will need to communicate to be part of a team, and nobody at the MDF will be able to read your mind like me or understand your signing like your sister." Asteria continues quite matter-of-factly. "You will wear the necklace and you will do your all to make your time with this new team nothing short of exemplary." She downs her magic and turns to face her children. Even in old jeans and a gardening apron, the imperious look Asteria wears could freeze blood in an instant. "Am I understood?" Firmly cowed, all Andi can muster is a nod. "Yes, mother."

Thankfully the gaze shifts to one more capable of weather it. "And Eleni. Andreja is never going to be up to your calibre, but I expect you to provide her with only the best example to follow. It is only because of my reputation and your recent efforts in the Grimward that Andreja was even considered for this." Looking at both of her children, she puts hands on her hips and sighs. "Being your mother it is my duty to tolerate these… infantile tantrums on occasion, but it all stays within the family. Out from behind closed doors neither of you will embarrass our family like that. Yes?" She levels Andi and Eleni with withering looks each.

"Yes, mother."
"Yes, mother."

quote:

• How did you first meet your mentor?

You mean Asteria? Umm… I was in her womb?

Seriously, what kind of stupid question is that? Vasiliki Telchines is my mother, and if you think having an actual member of the Paragons as your mother is a good thing then you need a reality check. From the moment I was born she has been training me, because when you start from as low as I did you need a lot of work. Yeah, that's me, a terrible disappointment before my first birthday. I was born under a Black Sun and cursed see, if you don't want to study for a decade to understand that then just think 'oh no magic happened' and you're pretty close. The curse blocked my mana and robbed me of my voice, which in lay-mans terms meant no magic for me. But I'm a Telchines, so that was never going to do.

quote:

• When and why did you choose to train with them?
Like I had a choice. I'm a Telchines and my mother takes nothing more seriously than the reputation of our family. She was never going to accept a daughter of hers having less magical ability than some commoner. And as much as I hate her, there is nobody more determined than her. If anybody was going to perform a miracle, it was my mother. As soon as I could read I was put to studying spell book after spell book, because surely one of them was going to be the key that broke my curse.

quote:

• Why did they agree to train you?
Asteria is a proud, vain woman. She loves being famous, being powerful, and coming from a grand old mystical family. My older sister, the firstborn, was everything she could hope for. Smart, pretty, talented, a prodigy. Me? I was something halfway between a disgrace on everything she holds pride in and a challenge she is determined to overcome. Anybody else would have been given up on a long time ago, but I'm her daughter and no Talchines is going to be left magicless while she has any say in it. I might be garbage but I'm her garbage, you know?

I think that's why it pissed her off so much when I found my own way around the curse.

quote:

• Who else, outside of the team, knows about your training?

Well, I guess my sister? Eleni Telchines, but you'd only know her as Circe from the Grimward team. She's the firstborn which if you don't know magic stuff basically means she is the heir apparently and inherits everything. If I'm the disappointing black sheep, she's the golden child that gets held up as the very best the Telchines family can offer. Basically perfect in every way. I don't mean that in a mean way or anything, it's just kinda the truth. I have every reason to want to be mad or jealous or whatever of her, but she's been nothing but nice to me this whole time. Mother always just used magic to read my thoughts, but Eleni actually took the time to learn how to sign with me just so I had somebody to talk to. She can't understand at all what it's like to go through what I did, but she was still there for me anyway. But Circe is really busy with the Grimwald hero team now, so it's not so easy to keep in touch anymore.

quote:

Bit of a whole story here. Mother didn't think much of my idea for finding a workaround for my curse and just giving up on breaking it altogether. I thought maybe if I tapped into my magic a different way than what we've been trying, like a totally not Telchines way, maybe something might happen. And then went and got it done. Full body tattoos along my leylines, using an ink made up of ground orichalcum. I'm not sure what she was angrier about, the fact I got it done despite her forbidding it or that it kinda worked. I can't cast spells without my own voice still, but my blood is magic enough that I can power the tattooed symbols on my leylines into being.

Of course, that means I can 'do magic' now. So there's no reason I shouldn't be following in the family footsteps, like her and my sister. Being a hero in a hero team. So now it's either play nice with a team and show I can be a 'responsible hero' with my 'new powers' or I'm looking down the barrel of being grounded with a binding spell until my mid twenties.

The Protege posted:

Hero Name: Hekate
Look: Woman, Greek, Lean Body, Casual Clothes, Which are also the costume
Shared Ability: Elemental Magic
Own Ability: Intimidation Spells / Fear Magic
Mentor Ability: Mystical Telepathy / Telekinetic Magic

Labels

[+1] Freak
[-1] Danger
[+1] Saviour
[+2] Superior
[+0] Mundane

Mentor

Embodies Saviour | Denies Freak

Moves

Been reading the files
You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you frst encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.

Captain
When you enter battle as a team, add an extra Team to the pool and carry +1 forward if you are the leader.

Venting frustration
When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the Label your mentor denies and clear Angry.

Mentor's Resources

An Actual Haunted House (Hidden Base)

This isn't really anything given to me by my 'mentor'. I was already living here for a while, ever since Papou gave it up and nobody else in the family wanted it. It's a cool hidden magic mansion! Haunted with actual ghosts! The bookcases all lead to hidden passages! There are secret rooms everywhere! House is awesome, and it's hidden away from anybody I don't want finding it. I can't even imagine a better place to live.

Ancient Grimoire of Secrets (Supercomputer)

A Telchines family heirloom. It contains every word about anything mystical to have happened in the last few thousand years. The book writes itself. Literally. It's enchanted to write everything our family does and learns, so that each generation may grow stronger than the last. Keep the family strong, even our ancestors were doing it. Gag. At least the upside to this is that I have this with me to teach me that which Mother otherwise would keep hidden away.

Magic Mirror (Teleportal)

It's a mirror that can magically portal you almost anywhere you want, instantaneously. It's all magic of course, so good luck trying to operate it without me being the taxi driver. But it's actually pretty simple to use once you know the spell, just picture the place you need to go in your head and if the mirror visualises that picture itself then you are good to travel. And if it doesn't, then you walk into a mirror and break your nose.

Moment of Truth

The moment that you show who you really are: your mentor, or something diferent. You can do whatever your mentor could do and more. You can do the incredible, even the things they always failed to accomplish. Of course, they’re not going to see you the same way, no matter which path you choose…

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you’ve been a good leader or efective team mate. If they say yes, your mentor loses Infuence over you and you mark potential. If they say no, your mentor gains Infuence over you, and you take +1 forward on using the Label your mentor embodies.When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your mentor (including your feelings towards them). Give them Infuence over you and add 1 Team to the pool.

We stuck together afer all was said and done. Why? How’d we keep in contact

Relationships

You and ____________________ teamed up a few times before the rest of you came together.

Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on __________________.

Influence

Choose your demeanour: playful or business.

If you choose playful, give Infuence to two teammates.

If you choose business, give Infuence to no teammates.

Robodog fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 17, 2018

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Hero Name: Ivy

quote:

Who were you before?

Hi, my name's Maya, and I used to be a regular person. Went on hikes, hung out at the community center, helped my mom in the garden, all that jazz. Not a loser, but not one of the pretty girls either, you know?

quote:

When did you change? What caused it?

The summer before junior year, I was part of a trip to Belize. Officially, it was an academic research thing, but mostly it was vacation in the tropics, not that it turned out that way. I'll never forget that hurricane.

See, I was packing three boxes of samples to take back to the camp site when the wind and rain started kicking up. I tried to hurry back with them, since the advisors had been getting cranky about us not doing enough actual work, and 'this isn't an excuse for you all to hit the beaches and flirt with the locals', but it slowed me down too much. I heard this huge crack of thunder -- the lightning must have been almost on top of me -- and the next thing I know, I'm sitting in this pile of goop, and the boxes are wrecked. Somehow, I managed to stagger back, I guess, the whole thing's a blur, and when I woke up . . .

i wasn't green all over, but there was a lot of green. And red, and purple, and orange, basically every color in the rainbow. No caramel, the color I used to be. No black curls on my head, either. I screamed when I found a mirror and really saw how human I wasn't, anymore.

quote:

Who, outside of the team, is helping you understand your new body?
Dr. Wilson Sinclair, head of the botanical department, has been doing a lot of research on me. I've never been a test subject to him, though. Don't get me wrong, he's super professional, but he's made it clear that I'm a person first, wonder of science second. He actually called me a wonder!

quote:

Why don’t you just try to hide yourself away?
I had a normal life, before. I'm not giving it up just because I'm kind of a freak show. Maybe getting respect from being a hero will be enough to make people stop staring at me like that . . .

quote:

They say that Halcyon City's full of the craziest things, and people are used to it. Well, I suppose that's kind of true -- I don't stop traffic when I go to the park (although part of that is probably because I do it so much). But so many people look at me like I'm something else, even the people who love me, as accepting as they try to be. To my team-mates, I'm no more of a weirdo than any of them. That's not something you let slip through your fingers.

Look:

Feminine body leaning to androgynous. Human structure to face, without particular details - nostrils do not connect to cavity, nor does mouth. Moderately larger torso circumference under shoulders, somewhat narrower torso between shoulders and groin, etc.
Eyes have green sclera and brown irises.
Body resembles a jungle in miniature, with many strips and blobs of plant-esque colors and textures.
Maya Lee wears nothing, as modesty is satisfied by the lack of detail to her new body, and extremes of temperature are not particularly troublesome, particularly heat. Attempting to disguise herself is pointless.

Abilities:

Ivy is fundamentally connected to the world of plants, as her appearance might suggest. Her diet appears to be partially photosynthetic, as she does not eat enough (and no fruits or vegetables) to satisfy a young woman of her build, but becomes drab and weary after more than a day without sunlight. She perceives through the plants around her, describing without hesitation dozens of details about events and visitors in the city park while sitting against a tree with her eyes closed. Ivy can cause plants to grow with supernatural speed, both existing specimens in soil and from her own body, though this requires effort commensurate with the achieved size. In testing, she 'picked' a lock by pressing her hand to the door and causing the dead wood to eject the metal assembly; she was able to repair the damage, but the texture of the door around the lock was significantly rougher than before, and there was a distinct earthy odor about it. Lastly, she has exhibited a truly remarkable ability to travel via plant matter (her running speed is significantly higher on grass and around trees than on concrete or pavement): given two areas covered with plants, each sufficient for normal human passage if replaced with a door of equivalent size, she can stand on one and have her body melt into the grass or other specimens, being reconstituted in the other place. The gap between departure and materialization is proportional to the distance between them, and suggests a 'speed' of perhaps seven hundred to one thousand miles per hour; she has been reluctant to provide more accurate data by traveling farther. Similarly, the process of assembling her new body takes a handful of moments, and the time decreases with greater plant surface area and mass.

Labels:

Danger +1
Freak +3
Savior +1
Superior -1
Mundane -1

Moves:

Not human enough: When you directly engage a threat in a terrifying fashion, mark a condition to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

Coming for you: When you mark a condition, take +1 forward against the person you most blame for causing it.

Wish I could be: When you comfort or support someone, if you tell them what you most envy about them, you can roll + Freak instead of + Mundane.

When the team first came together:

quote:

We drew attention and ire from plenty during the fight. One important person in particular now hates and fears us. Who is it?

Relationships:

quote:

___________________ comforted you when you were at your lowest.
___________________ knew you before you changed.

Influence:

You try not to care what other people think, even if you can’t shut everyone out. Give Influence to one teammate.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Stellar Knight Solara - Errant Guardian of the Sirius System
The Outsider

Where do you come from?
Ah, I suppose you wouldn't have heard of us, this planet is a bit of a backwater. So! Now, a lot of this is a secret, well not a secret, but you aren't really supposed to know, but the general picture should be fine, it's not like I'll be telling you how nuclear physics actually work - I mean, I don't know that any more than you know how your scientists incorrectly think they do! Haha! So across the galaxies there are tens - no ... sorry, I need a moment to go over your system of counting ... yes -
thousands of species of sapient life, spread across countless more star systems. Ah, well, that's not quite right either, there are far more than thousands, but most of them aren't developed enough to really count, like you, so there are thousands of species of sapient life that have reached the level of advancement to cross among the stars and qualify as advanced enough civilizations for us to contact. Us here is the Universal League of Peaceful People. Or ULPP [pronounced like gulp but with a hard P], as we call it! You haven't reached that point, naturally~

In any case, while we're all very peaceful and civilized, not everyone out there is, and there are always smugglers and criminals on the run. So to protect these people, and keep the less advanced people - like humans - safe from them, the ULPP founded the Order of the Stellar Knights to keep peace across the universe! And I'm one of them!

Oh, a little more specifically, hmm... am I allowed to tell Stage 3 civilizations that? ...I think so... I won't give you coordinates or anything, so your telescopes won't be able to find it, so that should be fine! I'm from the Orbital Star Citadel around [░░░░░░]. It's a really beautiful place, lots of crystal sculptures that reflect and amplify the light of the our sun - it's rather dim, only a ... white dwarf, wow isn't that a cute sounding name? Aww, by your classification system - and illuminate the city when it rotates sunways. I actually got permission to design my armor to reflect similar light patterns, which is why it looks so pretty!

Why did you come to Earth?
Okay, so, I joined the Order of the Stellar Knights, and after I'd passed through training - wow, that training though, it was crazy intense, we had to do like, well, I can't talk about most of it, it's an Order secret, but some of it is a bit like what people say your military groups go through. Except tougher, because we're in space. We had to do Void Swimming, Solar Matter manipulation of course, Radiant Studies, sparring and dueling and running across stellar beams in full armor, all sorts. I was actually top in the class on our Heliokinesis routines, I'm pretty good at it, so watch out or you might get burned, hehe - where was I? Oh, yes, I graduated training, second best in the year I'll have you know, and then we all got assigned to our backwater districts. See, we're all officially Stellar Knights now - I actually got the rank of Knight-Errant, which is a big honor - but to start out with they give us pretty boring assignments, so we can work our way into the full duties and don't get in over our heads. So I was put in charge of Sirius Sector, hardly anything happens there, it's so boring, but at least the sunlight reminds me a bit of home, though the second star there throws it off a little, but wow, it's such a lucky system to have two stars, I mean, can you believe it, TWO STARS?! That's like having two best friends~ At once! Obviously I have more than two best friends. Um, so, Sirius Sector, pretty boring. Right. Just a few small research bases there, but occasionally pirates come through, and I get to chase them down! That's always fun! Well a pretty famous criminal came in, the Rogue Star Eater - it doesn't actually eat stars, but it does eat people, it sounds more threatening, doesn't it? Star Eater, People Eater, I know which I'd be more afraid of! I was able to capture the two tag-a-longs but the Star Eater got away, and ran to Earth!

Why do you want to stay here (for now at least)?
I couldn't have that, so I followed, but now I have to try and track them down in Halcyon City before they eat too many people get even stronger! Oh, yeah, it eats people to absorb their mass and get stronger, like when normal people - you or me here, though really I shouldn't judge, that's just how their species works - eat, except moreso. I mean the main concern is about it eating people because that'd kill them, but it getting stronger isn't good either! So I have to track it down and stop it, but also, I found out when I arrived, our analysis of your species is completely wrong!!! You're still in a Stage 3 Civilization, but you're not safe like we thought - the ULPP installed undetectable automatic safety systems to stop you from triggering a MAD apocalypse event, so with that out of the way you were supposed to be safe to develop at your own speed - but your genetic mutations and general uh, we tend to call it... Chaos Factors - stuff like radiation transformations, curses and magic resurgences - are going crazy, our scientists didn't think you'd get to this point for another hundred years or so - but it's been a long time since anyone checked - and that's bad! You might be able to destroy yourselves anyway without even using primitive nuclear weapons! So, as one of the Order of Stellar Knights, it's my duty to stay here and help protect you from any potential threat that rises up from your own population! I just can't tell you anything about how to advance faster, as that'd interfere with the Composite Directive of both the Order and the ULPP!

Why do your people want you to come home?
Hmph! They think a first year Knight - even a Knight-Errant - shouldn't be taking charge of a situation like this. But they're not even going to send a full squad, just a senior Knight to check out the situation first, as if I'd make this up. Anyway, that'll take time, lots of travel time, and there's problems now, that I can help fix! Without improperly advancing your civilization. Besides, the discovering of an alien, even one who looks like you - I believe life on Sol III was seeded by my ancestors as part of one of the great re-spreadings of life the ULPP enacted to ensure nothing could wipe out all sapient life in one go - hasn't really started a panic or anything, which is the biggest threat interfering with a Stage 3 Civilization has from visitations from outsiders, obviously I'm not as freaky as, say, some of your people who get transformed by weird accidents and mutations into giant hulking squidbugdogs, or slimes. Besides, from the sound of it, you've been visited illegally by ULPP species for the last thousands of years, I mean, look at all those landing pads people built across your world. I'm going to file a report about those!

I've only know people from back home - broadly speak of home - before, but now I can hang out with a bunch of kids my age from an entirely new, undiscovered -by me, which is what counts- planet! How cool is that? (It's super cool!) And you all have interesting powers, most of our Chaos Factor has averaged out and spread among everyone, which means most of our abilities are the same, and most differences are small and really boring. But it's also a lot safer, it means there isn't a risk of one super-powered person like, blowing up the world accidentally because they don't understand how fusion works. One of my teammates showed me this rather fun movie, I don't remember the name, but the hero (they lost, so I guess it was a bit of a tragedy) said "When everyone is super, no one is!" and that's right! Except some of us are still a little Super because we train at it, but everyone could be a knight, if they dedicated themselves to it.

The Outsider posted:

Hero Name: Stellar Knight Solara

Look: woman, human body, glowing eyes, mismatched clothing, your station's uniform

Abilities
You can fly, and you’re pretty tough.
Alien Weaponry and Armor
Heliokinesis

Outsider Moves
Belong in two worlds: You have the resources that come with your station. Whenever you contact your people, roll + Superior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but your people make an uncomfortable demand of you. Spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
- receive a useful piece of alien technology that will allow you to use any ability from another playbook once (choose the ability when you spend the hold)
- consult your people’s knowledge to ask the GM a question about the current situation
- clear a condition through the comfort of contact with your home

Alien tech: When you alter a human device with your alien technology, roll + Freak. On a hit, you create a device that can do something impossible once and then fizzle. When you roll a 10+, choose one:
- it works exceptionally well
- you get an additional use out of it
On a miss, the device works, but it has a completely unintended side effect that the GM will reveal when you use it.

Kirby-craft: You have a vehicle, something from your home. Detail its look, and choose two strengths and two weaknesses. When you are flying your ship, you can use it to unleash your powers, directly engage a threat, or defend someone using Superior.

Strengths: Fast & maneuverable, powerful weaponry
Weaknesses: no room for passengers, Bizarre fuel source (star matter)

Labels
Danger -1
Freak +2
Savior 0
Superior +2
Mundane 0

Moment of Truth
You embrace your home and call them for aid. They will answer your call—in force!—arriving exactly when you need them to turn the tide. They fight and serve you for the rest of the battle. Of course, when all is said and done...they’d probably like to take you home with them. You did, after all, just prove yourself worthy.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, take Influence over them if you show them meaningful affection, physical or emotional. They decide if it’s meaningful.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, they tell you what you should do to fit in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark potential if you do.

We didn’t trust each other at first, but that changed. How? Why?

Relationships
You’ve been learning about Earth by spending time with _____________.
You have a crush on ________________ but you keep it under wraps.

Influence
Choose your demeanor: cheerful.
If you’re cheerful, you’re thrilled to be here. Give everyone Influence over you.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 17, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

quote:

The Legacy

Hero Name: Miss Midnight
Look: woman, white, comfortable clothing, modern costume, simple crescent moon insignia
Abilities: athletic perfection, Holmesian deduction, gadgetry

Labels
Danger -1
Freak 0
Savior +2
Superior +1
Mundane +1

Moves

Fight the good fight: When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll +Savior instead of +Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to impress, surprise, or frighten your foe.

Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a
condition.

- you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
- you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
- you keep your attacker’s attention On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.

Legacy

Your legacy is an important part of Halcyon City.

Whenever time passes, roll + Savior to see how the members of your legacy feel or react to your most recent exploits. Before rolling, ask the other players to answer these questions about your performance. Take -1 to the roll for each “no” answer:
- have you been upholding the traditions of your legacy?
- have you maintained the image of your legacy?
- have you made the other members of your legacy proud?

On a hit, one of them offers you meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage. On a 7-9, another is upset with your most recent actions, and will make their displeasure known. On a miss, something you did stirred up the hornet’s nest—expect several members of your legacy to meddle with your life.

We all have our own reasons for doing what we do. Mine runs through my veins. It's not about powers, or even family. It's about who I am.

The Sable family lineage expresses a set of traits. A mutation, yes, but not the way you think. Reduced need for sleep. Specific sensation-seeking traits. Low affect display. Increased adrenaline response, mental and visual acuity, superior reflexes...especially at night. Nocturnal predators, my father calls us. It's not a power. It's a personality.

Major crimes investigation outside the social structure of law enforcement--that is, lone vigilantism--is our natural occupation. Our methods have changed with the times, but my family has been fighting super-criminals in Halcyon City since the Midnight Rider chased the Crooked Man here during the Civil War. It's not normal, I know that. It's not always fun, or easy. But those who turn away from it, pay for it in their own way. Yes, my brother died doing this. Yes, my father quit doing this. That doesn't change who I am.

My great-great-uncle, Mr. Midnight, is still active and prominent in the city. Yes, that's right. My Uncle George is one of the "Eight Immortals" and he's a hundred and seven years old. The historians on PBS don't talk about it, but he didn't exactly fit in with his colleagues. He did most of his fighting on the home front, taking on organized crime and Nazi fifth columnists. Things were different, then. He didn't carry moon-darts, he carried a pair of .45s. As far as the government was concerned, if a bullet has a crescent moon engraved on the casing, the man who took it was a Nazi spy. Things are different, now.

Uncle George isn't running the rooftops anymore, but he found something else a Sable can do--working for the feds. His way of watching over Halcyon City is being the asset handler for federal super-espionage.

My father, The Midnight Man, is retired and quite judgmental. I told him Abe's death broke him. He tells me that it woke him up. He says that it wasn't worth it--not just my brother's life. His own life. He says he's tired of helping people who don't appreciate it, that he has nothing left to give. He wants me to quit and just...go to school, I suppose. But he hasn't tried to stop me. Yet.

Janus is the greatest opponent my family ever faced...and is still at large. Sure, everyone knows the story now. They read it in the papers. It took my father years to expose him. John Chase Jr. inherited the world's biggest pharmaceutical fortune, but that's not all he got from his father. John Chase Sr. had a peculiar personal philosophy. He believed that conventional morality doesn't apply to the powerful. That it was appropriate for a gentleman to have very different morals in his public and his private life, as long as the two...balanced out. Janus became obsessed with the concept. Narcissistic personality disorder, delusional disorder. His father compensated for his drug abuse and womanizing with public displays of piety and philanthropy. Janus carried his father's beliefs to their furthest logical conclusion by becoming the world's most generous philanthropist..and the world's most prolific serial killer. To him, it's not about moral philosophy. It's about being the son his father raised him to be. I can relate.

The day Janus escaped from the hospital, Dad trashed half the house. It's a big house. Not like him. If Janus is still alive--which is likely--he's probably wearing a new face. There wasn't much left of the old one when my father was done with him.

When did you officially become a part of your legacy?

I started training gymnastics when I was three. I got escrima sticks for my 6th birthday. At 13, I finally got to go on patrol. Been doing it ever since. I put "Courtesy of Ms. Midnight" on one of Dad's calling cards next to a pair of wanted criminals. It was deliberate. I wasn't going to let the press call me "Moon Lass" or something.

What’s the greatest accomplishment of your legacy?

Like I said, we've been fighting crime in this city since it was not so much a city as an intersection of muddy cattle trails. But I think everyone would agree that our greatest moment was stopping the Faces of Fear. When they held the entire city hostage, the Sable family and its agents came together to stop them. We took out the Faces one by one while my father found a way to amplify Brainwave's abilities, to stop the device that caused everyone's powers to go haywire.

How does the public perceive your legacy?

Can you trust someone that scares you a little? Today it's taken for granted that superheroes are celebrities, but we're not. We've never gone public, and we never will. We don't give interviews. We don't walk the red carpet. We don't do commercials for toothpaste. Instead, some scumbag tries to rob a bank, or shake down a corner store, or on television threatening to poison the water supply. And then, as if by magic, he's in the secure wing of Halcyon City General Hospital.

How does your legacy tie into your reasons for being a hero?

I told you, it's in the blood. A career in crimefighting can end badly and I know that better than anyone. But to have a career without a mask can end just as badly for people like me. Too much energy. No ingrained respect for authority. Strange urges to run through the streets howling at the moon. Obsessions.

I wouldn't quit, even if I thought I could. I have to do this. I have to be better. Dad raised me to live this life and he doesn't get to tell me it means nothing. My life is for nothing? Abraham's life was for nothing?

No.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 17, 2018

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

The Avatar of the Myriad

I'm not scared.

I know what's going to come, sooner or later. I know my days are numbered - but they've always been numbered. It's not as scary, knowing you're going to die young, when you never had the illusion you weren't going to do so. The doctors always said - to my parents, when they thought I wasn't listening - that I'd be lucky to even reach adulthood, and in my darker moments I just wished it would end already, because what was the point? I was never like other kids, never could be.

But those were my darker moments. Most of the time, morbid as it might sound, it was liberating to know that I could make every day count, not hold back, because mine were so limited. Every day pushing myself, who cared about preparing for the future? I lived for myself, one day at a time, even if I couldn’t do the things other kids could.

Until I stumbled onto the Myriad. I don't know how they got to Earth, what luck brought me to them at that moment, on that day, but it saved my life, in more ways than one. How to describe them...

They're nanomachines, of some extraterrestrial or extradimensional source, and they're amazing. Since I bonded with them, I've never felt sick since - I've felt more than healthy. I’ve been able to do things I never could before, things I always wanted to do, like be athletic.

More than that, I can do things I can only describe as superpowers. Of course, there's a cost. I'm not at risk of certain death due to illness, like before, but the Myriad didn't lie or deceive me - as we bond further and further, the border between them and me will break down, until there's no separation. The more I take actions that aren't 'acceptable' to human society, and lose my grasp on what makes me human, the quicker it will happen.

But I'm not scared. I knew I wasn't going to live a long life. At least now I can do things with the time I have left - I can enjoy the time I’ve got, and I canmake a difference in the world, and that's all that matters, right?

quote:

Hero Name: Avatar

Look: Female, Asian, Steely Eyes, Adaptive Clothing, Adaptive Costume

Abilities:
Superhuman Strength and Speed, Vitality Absorption, Body Transmutation

Doom Track:
0/5

Doomsigns:
Dark Visions: Mark your doom track to have a vision about the situation at hand. After the vision, ask the GM a question; they will answer it honestly.

Sanctuary: Healing Equipment, Powerful Computer, Library of Valuable Tomes; Tied Intricately to my Doom, Draws Dangerous Attention

Who is your nemesis? The Singularity
At the end of every session, answer the question: Did you make progress on defeating your
nemesis? If the answer is yes, mark potential. If the answer is no, mark your doom track.

Labels
Danger +1
Freak +1
Savior +2
Superior -1
Mundane 0

Moment of Truth
The prickly tingling fear of your doom, always in your head—it holds you back most of the time.
But right here, right now? It gives you the confidence to do anything. After all, what’s the worst
that could happen? Is it worse than your doom? Do impossible things. Do anything. But mark a
doomsign after you’re finished.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, give them Influence over you and spend
1 Team from the pool to clear one box on your doom track.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you and ask
if they honestly think there’s hope for you. If they say yes, mark potential or clear one box of your
doom track. If they say no, mark a condition or mark your doom track.

- When did you first learn of your doom?
Immediately after I encountered the Myriad. They communicated it to me, and I understood and accepted it before I touched them, and let them bond with my body.

- Where did you get your sanctuary?
From the Myriad themselves, again. They showed me where their ship had crashed, in their desperate attempt to escape - showed me how I could access it through them, and it's wonderful.

- How is your nemesis tied into your doom?
The Singularity is what the Myriad fear most - one of their own, assimilating the million million voices of their race into a single, overwhelming will. Its very presence erodes the barriers of consciousness, crushes individuality into conformity. Its presence hastens the merging of me and the Myriad, and it seeks to absorb all of us into itself.

- Who, outside of the team, is crucial to facing your nemesis?
Ironically, it's a supervillain. The Archivist, who collects advanced technology and magic for his own nefarious deeds. The Myriad are convinced he has a weapon that can destroy the Singularity - at great cost.

- Why does the team matter to you?
Because I stand with them as an equal. I'm not just the sick victim to be pitied anymore. They'll respect me. They have to.

When our team first came together… We paid a high cost for victory. What was it?
(Will fill this in later)

Relationships
You told _______________ all about your doom and the danger you're in.
You'd love to kiss ________________ before your doom comes.

Influence
These people matter for what you need to do. Give Influence to two of your teammates.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Hey everyone! I know it's a BIT early on the 21st (for me, in germany, it's midnight) but nothing new was happening so have some picks.

Chromatik, the Harbinger, played by Tricky

Kurogane, the Soldier, played by Hugzilla

Shikra, the Nova, played by Mykkel

Flaire, the Star, played by Rauri

Hekate, the Protege, played by Robodog

Onmyoji, the Legacy, played by Arashiofordo3

This was a really hard choice, and I really wanted to take more, but like I said, I can't really do it without comprimising quality. But I want to specifically say to carrot and SKIN (who, as far as I'm aware, are relatively new to masks?) - please do not let this discourage you from apping to further masks games. Your apps were really good and I absolutely would have picked you if I had the space.

But let's get to those that did make the cut:

Please get started on your "When the team first came together" questions while you're working on your relationships. Those questions usually end up taking the longest, so I'd like them to be prioritized. These also have a set order, but the limited and playtest playbooks haven't been included in that order yet, as far as I'm aware.

As such, let's go with the following order:

quote:

Nova, aka Mykkel:
We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did we destroy?

quote:

Bull, (we don't have one, but I feel like this should go to Tricky):
We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

quote:

Harbinger, aka Tricky (I feel like these two questions can tie into each other decently well):
We averted a disaster from the future’s history books. What was the disaster? What effect do we hope it had on the timeline?

quote:

Soldier, aka Hugzilla:
A.E.G.I.S. put me in charge of the team at a crucial moment in the fight. Why? What went wrong?

quote:

Legacy, aka Arashiofordo3:
All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

quote:

Star, aka Rauri:
We, as a team, attracted the attention of a major media outlet within the city, thanks to our efforts. Who are they? Why do they support us?

quote:

Protégé, aka Robodog:
We stuck together after all was said and done. Why? How’d we keep in contact?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 21, 2018

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Alas, poor Mist, he did not make it.

Back to villainry then. :v: (congrats to those who got in)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Mist and Sierra can hang out off screen. Get into the beverage business.

You all have fun!

• Locked thread