Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Two nights ago I put Melinda's ghost pepper sauce all over my pizza.

It was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

iospace posted:

Two nights ago I put Melinda's ghost pepper sauce all over my pizza.

It was worth it.

My uncle with catastrophic bowel issues set him self up a tablet charging station and a tv in his bathroom. Maybe you should look into the same?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Suspect Bucket posted:

My uncle with catastrophic bowel issues set him self up a tablet charging station and a tv in his bathroom. Maybe you should look into the same?

I regret nothing! :jeb:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
I wish Zaxbys sold their insane sauce. It's one of my favorite vinegar based sauces and it's super hot for fast food.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It's not that hot, but does anyone else like classic Cholula on eggs?

I love regular Cholula on pretty much everything but I recently bought some of their green sauce and it is amazing on eggs. The green has pretty much superseded the classic for the majority of things I put hot sauce on.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I wish Zaxbys sold their insane sauce. It's one of my favorite vinegar based sauces and it's super hot for fast food.

Zaxby's sauces are super good in general, fingers dipped in tongue torch are a guilty pleasure.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Cholula on eggs was one of my go-to breakfasts for a long time, but I recently bought a bottle of Valentina Extra Hot (which isn't actually all that hot) and it has basically replaced all Cholula/Tapatio/etc style sauces in my life.

What's a good entry point into habanero-based sauces? Right now I just use Valentina as my general purpose hot sauce, Crystal for beans/Louisiana foods, and Huy Fong chili garlic sauce, so I'm missing something in the fruity/zesty category. I can take more heat than what I've got in the pantry but I'm not really ready for :piss: levels of heat either.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Discussion Quorum posted:

Cholula on eggs was one of my go-to breakfasts for a long time, but I recently bought a bottle of Valentina Extra Hot (which isn't actually all that hot) and it has basically replaced all Cholula/Tapatio/etc style sauces in my life.

What's a good entry point into habanero-based sauces? Right now I just use Valentina as my general purpose hot sauce, Crystal for beans/Louisiana foods, and Huy Fong chili garlic sauce, so I'm missing something in the fruity/zesty category. I can take more heat than what I've got in the pantry but I'm not really ready for :piss: levels of heat either.

Melinda's XXX and Marie Sharps Habenero are both pretty awesome habenero sauces that aren't too hot. I think both have carrots as a base so they are a bit sweeter without being fruity sweet.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Those are good, so is Secret Aardvark's.

Melinda's is a pretty close sub for Crystal. It's chunkier but similar to me.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

I'm a huge fan of kutbil-ik, it has this amazing fresh hab flavor. It is a bit hot, though.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

QuarkMartial posted:

Those are good, so is Secret Aardvark's.

Melinda's is a pretty close sub for Crystal. It's chunkier but similar to me.

Wish it was locally available. I'm gonna have to get a three pack off Amazon.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I'd happily second any of the habanero recs above but I'll add this one. tastes great, isn't too hot.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I must be broken because the combination of hot sauce and eggs has never worked for me regardless of the sauce or how the eggs are cooked.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Cholula is the only hot sauce that works for me. Although I prefer a good salsa instead.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I don't like sriracha and eggs, but vinegar sauces and eggs are really good.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

A friend of mine from Portland randomly sent me a 3-pack of this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Aardvark-Habanero-Sauce/dp/B00AIR3Q38

And god drat is it good. It's definitely hot, has a great sweet habanero flavor, and backs it up with a really rich depth of roasted tomato. In 2 days I've already gone through half a bottle. It's like the El Yucateco carribean flavor but a bit hotter and somehow even more flavorful.

EDIT: Woops, should have read the thread. Oh well, +1 for Secret Aardvark.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Can anyone compare it to the Torchy’s Diablo sauce? It’s the only recent habanero sauce I’ve had, so I’m curious if the Aardvark stuff is worth getting.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Am I the only one who finds Cholula really weak compared to other vinegar sauces? I like Tabasco, Tapatio, Crystal, and even Frank's way better.

Now that I think about it, I haven't had Valentina. Gotta try that one for sure.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Juaguocio posted:

Am I the only one who finds Cholula really weak compared to other vinegar sauces? I like Tabasco, Tapatio, Crystal, and even Frank's way better.

Now that I think about it, I haven't had Valentina. Gotta try that one for sure.

get on that valentina right now. it's good stuff. and yeah, I don't really rate cholula, at least the regular flavor. the chipotle is good though.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Valentina Extra Hot is excellent. A bit more heat than the regular stuff but not super hot, but it's also very smooth. Adds a bit of acidic bite but doesn't really taste vinegary by comparison.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Juaguocio posted:

I find that I usually end up putting way more cholula than any other sauce. It's not very spicy for me but I really like the flavor.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Valentina Extra Hot is excellent. A bit more heat than the regular stuff but not super hot, but it's also very smooth. Adds a bit of acidic bite but doesn't really taste vinegary by comparison.

Valentina extra hot is great, but don’t skip on regular either. I love regular on eggs in the morning, and it’s only like $2 a bottle.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Apprentice Dick posted:

Valentina extra hot is great, but don’t skip on regular either. I love regular on eggs in the morning, and it’s only like $2 a bottle.

"as big as a baby's torso and only $2." I offer this winning marketing slogan to Valentina for free.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
For a long time I thought I didn't like Mexican-style hot sauce because all I'd had was Cholula but Valentina is way better.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Valentina is my favorite cheap regular sauce, but Cholula and El Yucateco make the best variants. Cholula Chipotle is my most used sauce at all, Cholula Chili Garlic is very good - bright, tangy, slightly hot; sort of like Nando's peri-peri. El Yucateco Kutbil-ik is my favorite pure hab sauce ever, it tastes super fresh and fruity.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I forgot to post a picture of the wall of sauce I encountered recently:

Sorry for the lens flare, the lighting in there was really weird. There's also another shelf to the right, but I couldn't fit everything into one frame.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Juaguocio posted:

Cholula has great flavor but yeah it's not that hot. Just mix in some extra cayenne pepper into it.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Valentina is my favorite cheap regular sauce, but Cholula and El Yucateco make the best variants. Cholula Chipotle is my most used sauce at all, Cholula Chili Garlic is very good - bright, tangy, slightly hot; sort of like Nando's peri-peri. El Yucateco Kutbil-ik is my favorite pure hab sauce ever, it tastes super fresh and fruity.

:same:

This plus some home-made chiles in oil with shallot and garlic from my neighborhood Asian grocery store are my go-to staples.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lao Gan Ma (aka Spicy Chili Crisp, aka 老干妈, aka Angry Lady Sauce) is one of the best Sichuan condiments and goes really well on a lot of things.

Our very own Gravity84 has a good recipe for it here.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Lao Gan Ma (aka Spicy Chili Crisp, aka 老干妈, aka Angry Lady Sauce) is one of the best Sichuan condiments and goes really well on a lot of things.

Our very own Gravity84 has a good recipe for it here.

Yes that's the stuff. Thanks for posting the recipe, definitely going to make some of my own now.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My current favorite sauce is Minorcan Mayhem datil pepper sauce. Our local chain of amazing barbecue restaurants, 4 Rivers Smokehouse, started putting bottles on each table about two years ago, and I had to buy my own and start giving it as gifts. It has a nice heat that isn't overpowering, but it's also fruity and sweet and a little smoky.

https://www.minorcanmayhem.com/

My good friend just gifted me his current favorite: Hot Ones Fiery Chipotle, from the Heatonist website. I had never heard of these before, but I can vouch for this one being a very good sauce, with pineapple, carrot, and lime to balance out the chipotle, habanero, and ghost pepper. I made a nice hot chipotle mayo with it, but I haven't tried any straight yet.

https://heatonist.com/products/hot-ones-hot-sauce?variant=378292305929

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
On the basis of the habañero recommendations I asked for earlier, I picked up a bottle of Marie Sharp's Fiery Hot and a bottle of Yellow Bird. Tasted both straight expecting nothing but agony and they were both... really good! The Marie Sharp is hotter and tangier, while I think the Yellow Bird has a bit better flavor thanks to the garlic.

Made a sandwich by pan-frying some leftover porchetta and combining homemade mayo with some Yellow Bird. It's excellent. Now I'm thinking about the Yellow Bird ghost pepper sauce that was next to it in the store.

Is this how an addiction starts?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

On the basis of the habañero recommendations I asked for earlier, I picked up a bottle of Marie Sharp's Fiery Hot and a bottle of Yellow Bird. Tasted both straight expecting nothing but agony and they were both... really good! The Marie Sharp is hotter and tangier, while I think the Yellow Bird has a bit better flavor thanks to the garlic.

Made a sandwich by pan-frying some leftover porchetta and combining homemade mayo with some Yellow Bird. It's excellent. Now I'm thinking about the Yellow Bird ghost pepper sauce that was next to it in the store.

Is this how an addiction starts?

the ghost pepper sauce is good too. tastes great and is noticeably hot but not debilitating like you might expect a ghost pepper sauce to be. honestly, all the yellowbird stuff is pretty good. their sriracha stands out because it's sweetened with agave which makes for a rather different flavor profile.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I picked up a bottle of regular Valentina and I think I just found a new favorite, thank you to everyone who sang its praises!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

uber_stoat posted:

the ghost pepper sauce is good too. tastes great and is noticeably hot but not debilitating like you might expect a ghost pepper sauce to be. honestly, all the yellowbird stuff is pretty good. their sriracha stands out because it's sweetened with agave which makes for a rather different flavor profile.

Yea I also tried the Yellowbird ghost pepper sauce recently and it was hot, but not as hot as I was expecting for a ghost pepper sauce. I also bought some carolina reaper chedder cheese and definitely has immediate long lasting heat, but again not really what I was expecting. I've got a feeling this might lead to making a dangerous decision sometime in the future with my first experience with those peppers being "Yea... kind of hot I guess."

Also got the serrano, jalapeno and habanero Yellowbird sauces that I haven't tried yet. Curious to see how the habanero Yellowbird compares to Secret Aardvark. A restaurant by me makes some above average spicy chicken sandwiches with lettuce/tomato/mayo. Putting Aardvark habanero on those is my favorite thing.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Well I've compared Yellowbird habanero to Secret Aardvark habanero several times now and... I greatly prefer Secret Aardvark.

Yellowbird is still pretty good though. Definitely hotter as habanero is the third ingredient and it's the 6th ingredient in Aardvark. Yellowbird tastes more fruity, has all natural ingredients and probably closer to an actual habanero sauce, but still prefer the taste and heat of Secret Aardvark. ( Even if Secret Aardvark is probably more ketchup than habanero. )

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

No need to bother with the extra effort, it's spelled habanero :)

But welcome to the "how can I work hot sauce into everything I eat" club.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
:doh: hyperforeignism strikes again

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Squashy Nipples posted:

I agree, but I do really like the habanero one.

Just picked up a bottle of this on the back of your comment. My only regret is that I got a little bottle. This stuff is great!

(Tabasco Habanero for context)

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
We are iced in, but in desperate need of necessities, so I went to the Hispanic grocery store right by my house. Surprisingly (not) they had a large variety of hot sauce, so I snagged a few I'd not had before:

The El Yucateco and Valentina are ones I've had before, just took the opportunity to restock. The others are new. Really looking forward to the No Wimps Allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

QuarkMartial posted:

We are iced in, but in desperate need of necessities, so I went to the Hispanic grocery store right by my house. Surprisingly (not) they had a large variety of hot sauce, so I snagged a few I'd not had before:

The El Yucateco and Valentina are ones I've had before, just took the opportunity to restock. The others are new. Really looking forward to the No Wimps Allowed.

Enjoy your Cholula, those are quality.