Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
re new years challenge i 100% knew in my heart that arino would never be able to clear it, but i hoped, oh, how i hoped...

Random Stranger posted:

There's a motorcycle in his garage that keeps looking older and older.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
It was a little bit ago but I don't think Arino ever fails on purpose, I do think he's inconsistent about keeping his guard up. During the Solomon's Key challenge he put the controller down when he beat the game and something that happened during the ending made him pick the controller back up out of brief worry it wasn't over, but it was.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I think the staff get genuinely frustrated when a stupid mistake he makes after a full day of shooting means they have to stay another hour.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

zari-gani posted:

I think the staff get genuinely frustrated when a stupid mistake he makes after a full day of shooting means they have to stay another hour.

I love that he put two staffers to sleep during the Dragon Warrior challenge and started bragging about his Sleep magic.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

zari-gani posted:

I've translated four episodes in the last week, and I'm working on a fifth before it's back to work for me.

I'll be at MAGFest again in a few days, selling stuff at the Fangamer booth. We're bringing "Stuck in a Game" if anyone here is attending and wants to get a copy.

Fantastic! I'll be by to snag myself a copy!

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

A rather dull comment on that is also that it is television and it'd be real bad if he failed to celebrate beating the boss just because he wanted to be sure there weren't another phase. Beating the game without good footage of it would be about as bad as not beating the game ;)

I think this is a good point. If it really is the end, you want to a good reaction shot to the climax, and I bet Arino understands that, too. If he doesn't celebrate and there is no extra boss, then they've missed a moment of genuine joy and pride that they could've recorded and used as the ending to the episode. If he celebrates every time, then they've got good footage to use either way.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/unbornapple/status/949166962822742016

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I had a weird moment last night. For the last however-long, I've been rewatching an episode of GCCX before I go to bed. I've seen every episode at least a half-dozen times by now or more, so I remember the challenges and I remember the arcade trips, etc., but last night I stumbled across an episode in my episodes folder that I didn't remember at all. Not one single thing was familiar, the challenge didn't ring a bell and even the arcade trip seemed completely new (I usually remember those because they're my favorite).

It wasn't a newer translated episode either, it was from several seasons ago and probably translated years ago (Super Gussun Oyoyo). I guess I must've watched it once shortly after it was translated and then somehow managed to never rewatch it again in all these months/years.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
My file for that episode says it was last modified in April 2013 and I've downloaded almost all my episodes at the time of their release, so I assume that's when it was originally translated.

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013
Which GCCx episode do yall think features Arino's worst haircut? Personally, I think its the Super Metroid Special ep

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Definitely one of the episodes where he sports the super obvious perm :v:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

More like any episode where he has short hair with the top spiked up a bit.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

2018's first challenge is Destiny of an Emperor, with news of the 2017 Akiba event and more educational games on the side.

Encha277
May 8, 2007

Destiny of an Emperor was one of my favorite NES games and it has some great quirks that should be entertaining for Arino to figure out.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Eh, I wish he'd take on more 32-bit era games. Though I understand NES is a big deal especially in Japan, nostalgia-wise.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

2018's first challenge is Destiny of an Emperor, with news of the 2017 Akiba event and more educational games on the side.

That's a different kind of choice for the show. Should be interesting.

Also, someone else is doing the overlays for it when the translation occurs.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Also, someone else is doing the overlays for it when the translation occurs.

Did you dig your chip out?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kakaricho posted:

I love that game, and it was my introduction to Romance of the Three Kingdoms so it holds a special place in my heart. I can't wait to see how Arino handles it.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Negrostrike posted:

Eh, I wish he'd take on more 32-bit era games. Though I understand NES is a big deal especially in Japan, nostalgia-wise.

I wouldn't mind if they did more 32-bit games, but there are still many NES games that are almost guaranteed to be good (Clash at Demon Head for example). It's weird how they've had a few obviously bad choises for Arino (like Gradius or Zelda:OOT), when there are still games that seem like total no-brainers. I appreciate that they want to change things up a bit, but Arino clawing his way through some bullshit 8-bit platformer is almost always good.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
imo those are the weaker episodes. it's just arino doing the same stage over and over for most of the time block. i'd much rather have a two- or three-parter of majora's mask where he's loving perplexed at snowhead temple

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I wish he'd play the Adventure Island sequels. They're waaaay less sadistic than the original game, but still challenging enough for him, I guess.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

imo those are the weaker episodes. it's just arino doing the same stage over and over for most of the time block. i'd much rather have a two- or three-parter of majora's mask where he's loving perplexed at snowhead temple

When he's just dying a thousand times in a row in the same spot with no highlights, yeah that's pretty boring. But there've been plenty of good platformer episodes like the Mega Man episodes, Prince of Persia and others. By bullshit I don't mean bullshit hard (and too hard for Arino) but rather weird mechanics and obscure secrets. Then again, I also really like the Bio Increaser Dan episode, so whatever.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I would rather watch Arino take on a frustratingly challenging game like Druaga, Bomb Jack, or Mega Man than a game designed for a many session playthrough. It's definitely just a matter of choice, but I would rather watch him try to get the kill screen on Pac Man than get through Breath of the Wild.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The good thing about doing old games on GCCX is that you often see the entire game with practically nothing left out, which was (or is) the whole point of the show. It's showing off the old, hard games we couldn't beat as kids. Yes, they're recording hours of footage but when you edit it down to an hour-long show, you get the entirety of a game like Mega Man or Super Mario Bros 3 because those games can be speedrrun in under an hour. If you play a Zelda game from the N64 era forward (or hell even Link to the Past), then you have to cut out like 80% of the game to even squeeze it into a two-parter.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Pentaro posted:

I wish he'd play the Adventure Island sequels. They're waaaay less sadistic than the original game, but still challenging enough for him, I guess.

New Adventure Island is exclusive to the TurboGrafx-16 DVD boxset.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

King Vidiot posted:

..we couldn't beat as kids.

Screw that. GCCX has inspired me to pick up (or re-pick up) a number of games that I never played or couldn't beat as a kid and I totally still can't beat as an adult. It has led me to understand that while Arino was pretty bad in the very early episodes, he is actually pretty drat good at these games now, despite the producers' help.

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013
It still befuddles me that Arino not only completed Battletoads, but actually genuinely enjoyed the bike level. I remember just getting to that point in the game as a kid and resetting it each time out of pure frustration and despair

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jakespeare posted:

It still befuddles me that Arino not only completed Battletoads, but actually genuinely enjoyed the bike level. I remember just getting to that point in the game as a kid and resetting it each time out of pure frustration and despair

They made the game easier for Japan. The lucky bastards.

The Genesis version of Battletoads contains a lot of the difficulty fixes if you want to experience that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edit: Wrong thread. sorry.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

So does anybody itt handle the site downloads? because I think literally every MEGA link is broken on the site, and most of the old ones don't have torrents.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The torrent magnet links or whatever used to be hosted on nyaa until it went down, but there's a mirror up now and it looks like it has a bunch (and one megatorrent with everything).

https://nyaa.pantsu.cat/search?c=_&q=gamecenter

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

King Vidiot posted:

The torrent magnet links or whatever used to be hosted on nyaa until it went down, but there's a mirror up now and it looks like it has a bunch (and one megatorrent with everything).

https://nyaa.pantsu.cat/search?c=_&q=gamecenter

Thank you!

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I run the site and live in Japan so I’m not uploading anything. However, if someone wants to reupload things and give me the links I’ll add them to the site.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

So, for my first "whoops!" of the year, it seems there are multiple games called 天地を喰らう (Tenchi wo Kurau) based on the Three Kingdoms, and the latest challenge was Dynasty Wars, not Destiny of an Emperor.

Rest easy for now, Random Stranger.

Next game has a monkey protagonist, any guesses? DKC3 is mine.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 19, 2018

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sonson 2!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

Super Monkey Daiboken because they'll figure Arino has forgotten that he played it before.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Super Monkey Daiboken because they'll figure Arino has forgotten that he played it before.

"Didn't I ask how big a lady's boobs were when I played this before?"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kakaricho posted:

donkey kong 64

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

donkey kong 64

101% run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013
I'm guessing either it's gonna be Toki, or Spanky's Quest. If he hasn't played those already