Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

vulturesrow posted:

So I've been playing this slightly more than casually lately (mostly meaning I try to play a little each day to keep streaks going). Whats the best way to find people to raid with and when I should start caring about gym battles? I'm only level 15 and don't have anything that great yet (I don't think).

Being in a gym is the only way to earn coins for free. At level 15, I'd concentrate more on just catching as many Pokemon as possible to level up because most Pokemon you have right now probably can't do very well in gym battles to get a gym under your control. Try to find gyms already taken by your team and hope they have free spaces for you to put a Pokemon in.

What I would do if I were you is to find your town's Pokemon Go page on Facebook and hope they're either active on organizing raids there or they have a Discord channel. If just a Facebook page, try to ask ahead of time like "Hey does anyone want to raid on Saturday?" or something. What's popular (around where I am) is that someone organized a Discord channel where towns are split up into their own subsections. The guy running it has scanners running to tell people when legendary raids are about to spawn, where they spawn, and how much time you have left to do it when it spawns. People then chat and ask if people are up to raid.

Your best bet right now is to wait until a new legendary Pokemon is introduced and jump in on those raids since everyone will be hot to fight them. Try to join as many as you can within the first week before people get bored of it. It doesn't matter if your Pokemon are weak because if there's a ton of people doing it, you'll win with them and get your shot at catching the legendary Pokemon (if the group isn't obviously big, then make sure you tell people your level). If you start getting them, then you'll finally have Pokemon worthy to fight with because they start off at level 20 which probably has decent CP for legendaries (25 if you catch it during the right weather). This is how I made my alt account worthy of carrying some weight at legendary raids because I eventually cobbled together a team of Ho-Ohs (and now Groudons).

Not only can you contribute to raids now, but you also have Pokemon that can fight decent level opponents in gyms and start taking them over for your own to collect coins.

e: Groudon ends Jan 15th and Kyogre should start, so that's a good time to start joining raids.

Also at raids, ask people who play more how they go around doing raids in your town and if they're not dicks, they can point you to a Discord channel or whatever else. Or if they're friendly enough you guys could trade numbers for texting to fill each other in on when raids are happening because that's how we did it when raids first started and there wasn't a Facebook page/Discord channel.

Willsun fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

You should always be attacking gyms if you have the restorative items to spare. You should especially be attacking gyms if you’d otherwise be throwing potions or revives away to make room for poke balls (idk where you live but you may or may not have an excess of items depending on how many stops are nearby). Each gym attack gives you XP, each restore item sustains your available Pokémon to attack gyms, so if you throw items away you’re effectively throwing XP away. Pick your battles: you won’t win many fights against 4-digit CP Pokémon, but if you see a gym with half or empty CP hearts, jump that poo poo.

Raiding helps because the raid Pokémon you catch will be high-level and will really jump-start your ability to burn down gyms. Keep on Facebook or whatever and join in whenever you see a group forming. Just let them know you’re a newbie. They may also let you in on any local agreements or whatever (for example, in one nearby town most people have agreed to leave gyms alone if they were captured very recently for coin purposes).

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

They may also let you in on any local agreements or whatever (for example, in one nearby town most people have agreed to leave gyms alone if they were captured very recently for coin purposes).

These are always ridiculous. I mean sure it might work for a while but often it results in people getting all pissy in social media about anyone outside the agreement taking down gyms like a normal player would.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Hooray for Pokemon community day! :dance:

https://pokemongolive.com/en/post/communityday

First move exclusive Pokemon is a Pikachu with Surf

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'm sick to poo poo of my Pokémon storage being clogged with Pikachu variants already, gently caress this noise.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

sebzilla posted:

I'm sick to poo poo of my Pokémon storage being clogged with Pikachu variants already, gently caress this noise.

I keep male and female versions of everything. This SUCKS.

I'm hoping I can just TM my existing Pikachus.

Also, double XP during the event, so I'll probably be raiding.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I have almost 200 Pokemon to evolve, so I think I'll load up on 3 devices and do a mass evolve during that time.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Parrotine posted:

Hooray for Pokemon community day! :dance:

https://pokemongolive.com/en/post/communityday

First move exclusive Pokemon is a Pikachu with Surf

This is a good idea, but two issues:
1) gently caress having even more variant pikachus i can't throw to the candy factory
2) 3 hours one day a month????????

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This is a good idea, but two issues:
1) gently caress having even more variant pikachus i can't throw to the candy factory
2) 3 hours one day a month????????

My first reaction was "oh do gently caress off Niantic". My second reaction is the same.

The most "not worth it" event imaginable.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Does Surf Pikachu have a surfboard? This is important.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

sebzilla posted:

Worst is you can't even mass transfer them.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Worst is you can't even mass transfer them.
I was clearing out all my event pikachu the other day and accidentally transferred a shiny pichu because I was just just madly clicking through the popups. :downs:

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
Please be advised—Do not take your pikachu surfing as Kyogre is now spotted in the wild.

https://twitter.com/PokemonGoApp/status/951922294234013696

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Condolences if you still wanted to catch a Groudon.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

BrainMeats posted:

Condolences if you still wanted to catch a Groudon.
Ya, they're giving us roughly a month to catch these guys, plenty of time for casuals to get one and hardcores to get a perfect, but they originally said Groudon until January 15th right? Kind of a dick move to switch it out, unless Groudon will still be around just with Kyogre also spawning.

On the other hand, having a Saturday as the first full day with Kyogre will let a lot of people easily jump in on the initial rush.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Kyogre is a real bitch to catch. It's the moves side to side one and has a small catch circle. It sucks.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

There are still Groudons but you'll have to beg for a residing party.

Went 3 for 3 on Kyogre today including a critical catch. Best one is only an 89IV so I'll have to try for a couple more.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

seiferguy posted:

Kyogre is a real bitch to catch. It's the moves side to side one and has a small catch circle. It sucks.

Someone in my raid group said it's like a legendary Mantine, which ... ugh.

Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012
Keeping in mind it's a drat phone game I don't even know where to start to bitch about this latest legendary.

This thing eats through my front 6 in no time (High IV Groudons) and catching it is going to be a major pita. It shook out of nearly everything in under a single shake, it doesn't stop moving, and it's WAY back there. Like...you almost need to do straight on tosses to have enough screen to toss deep enough.

I'm sure it'll get figured out like they all do, but....drat.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Das Doppelganger posted:

Keeping in mind it's a drat phone game I don't even know where to start to bitch about this latest legendary.

This thing eats through my front 6 in no time (High IV Groudons) and catching it is going to be a major pita. It shook out of nearly everything in under a single shake, it doesn't stop moving, and it's WAY back there. Like...you almost need to do straight on tosses to have enough screen to toss deep enough.

I'm sure it'll get figured out like they all do, but....drat.

AR mode

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

The issue with Kyogre is that he's got great coverage for all his checks. Wanna use a team of grass types or Groudon for the fight? Hope he doesn't have Blizzard. Maybe a team of Ho-Ohs with Solar Beam? Say hello to Hydro Pump and Thunder. It doesn't help that one of the best electric attackers is weak to Bizzard and can't tank that STAB Hydro (Zapdos), so you've only got Raikou as your main alt, and that's if you were able to catch/level them up enough to last.

Thunder is your best option when fighting him, and maybe a team of Dragonites against Hydro Pump, but it's a tough racket to fight in general.

EDIT: Also he's a general pain-in-the-rear end to catch. Managed to have a perfect one spawn for me last evening and those golden razzies don't do poo poo :argh:

White Light fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 13, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

with regards to the new once a month community days, they will be worth it if they have regionals spawn during them. gimme dat corsola and heracross.

in fact i really dunno what else they'd do for special pokemon, so hey.

Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012

wat?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Parrotine posted:

The issue with Kyogre is that he's got great coverage for all his checks. Wanna use a team of grass types or Groudon for the fight? Hope he doesn't have Blizzard. Maybe a team of Ho-Ohs with Solar Beam? Say hello to Hydro Pump and Thunder. It doesn't help that one of the best electric attackers is weak to Bizzard and can't tank that STAB Hydro (Zapdos), so you've only got Raikou as your main alt, and that's if you were able to catch/level them up enough to last.

Thunder is your best option when fighting him, and maybe a team of Dragonites against Hydro Pump, but it's a tough racket to fight in general.

EDIT: Also he's a general pain-in-the-rear end to catch. Managed to have a perfect one spawn for me last evening and those golden razzies don't do poo poo :argh:

I like the diversity required for farming the whaleatine.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Seconded. AR mode? What.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I only tried one because it's very cold outside, but I caught it. I went for great instead of excellent so I didn't really have any trouble with the distance but it would conveniently slide off to the side as soon as I released the ball so I completely missed 4 throws.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I only tried one because it's very cold outside, but I caught it. I went for great instead of excellent so I didn't really have any trouble with the distance but it would conveniently slide off to the side as soon as I released the ball so I completely missed 4 throws.

The left to right can be reset with toggling the AR, Kyogre will be back to center

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
I guess I feel pretty lucky, because I did my first Kyogre raid and got it on my sixth ball (great throw+golden razz+curve+bonus). I wasn't really interested in trying to get excellents and throwing away chances more often.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I got two out of two so far with just crappy curved throws that hit outside the circle, no bonus. Perhaps I was just lucky also.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

wailmer's buddy icon is the best thing in this entire dumb game holy lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

financially racist posted:

yeah it owns I've been walking him a while

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

:yeah:

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Was looking at a Go+ to hoover up mons and spin disks for me, but I saw the Go-tcha is a 3rd party alternative with a auto-mode which seems even better. Some recent reviews on Amazon are saying they are currently broken with the latest game updates, but others are saying it works great. Who do I believe?

Also what the gently caress is wrong with me, I'm considering a $40 doodad to play my phone game for me.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

BrainMeats posted:

Was looking at a Go+ to hoover up mons and spin disks for me, but I saw the Go-tcha is a 3rd party alternative with a auto-mode which seems even better. Some recent reviews on Amazon are saying they are currently broken with the latest game updates, but others are saying it works great. Who do I believe?

Also what the gently caress is wrong with me, I'm considering a $40 doodad to play my phone game for me.

Go-tcha works again. Works even better than it did before the iOS 11 update boned Bluetooth for a minute.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Go-tcha works again. Works even better than it did before the iOS 11 update boned Bluetooth for a minute.

Yeah, I briefly had a problem with mine not pairing (probably only an issue if you switch it between devices), but letting the battery die fixed it.

It’s a lot nicer than the official one if only because it’s rechargeable, just be careful with the auto-catch mode if you’re actually looking for something and not just catching stuff while driving or otherwise not looking at your phone.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It really is

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Das Doppelganger posted:

Like...you almost need to do straight on tosses to have enough screen to toss deep enough.

It's a bitch but I wait for it to drift to (our) left since that's the only way for me to get any circle bonus with a curve throw bonus on top. If I'm impatient I can sometimes get lucky with a more vertical curve throw, but it'll almost never even land in a "nice" circle that way.

Anyway I'm like 3 for 7 on this damned whale and its cocaine-addled, sugar rush movin' rear end and I'm pretty sure I've just been lucky so far. I'm wasting at least half the balls every raid due to the side to side jig it's constantly doing.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

BrainMeats posted:

Lots of people have a connection issue with the Gotcha where it seems to work fine until you pair it with your phone, then the screen just flickers and turns off. Received wisdom is that this is a manufacturing fault, but it is easily fixed by unpairing the device in your phone settings, not in Pokémon Go. Then it works great!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

drat there is some crazy GPS drifting at my work place, I was able to hatch two 5-k eggs from just sitting at my desk, I'm likin' this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Parrotine posted:

drat there is some crazy GPS drifting at my work place, I was able to hatch two 5-k eggs from just sitting at my desk, I'm likin' this

Drifting in general seems to be more prevalent. I can walk around my house with the game on and rack up kms fairly quickly whereas a month ago I couldn’t.

• Locked thread