Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Hah did one of you guy enter the chat on the website while I was gone? There was a chat from "Gooner" asking about shipping times but they didn't leave an email address. To answer your question, usually within 1-2 business days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Money shot

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Hello bottomless portafilter buddy.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Rusty Bodega posted:

I've been falling behind greatly on home roasting.

I have a popcorn popper that I liked to use but I can now only do it outside since the top is starting to melt, and it's so cold in New England that it's pointless to try at the moment (although the cooling cycle from the cylinder to the cold air would be insane... :smug: )

Wondering if anyone has experience with the FreshRoast series (preferably SR500 or SR700.) I would like to start roasting indoors again since I enjoyed it more than standing in the freezing temperatures outside.

I have an SR500 that I used for a couple years. I don't recommend using it indoors. Sure you can, but I can tell you that the roasting smell really lingers for a long time and you still run the risk of setting off the smoke alarm even though there really isn't much smoke.

Also, this thread reminded me again that I still want a bottomless portafilter for my Silvia.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

SR500 here, I just pull my smoke alarm batteries out and let the delicious coffee smell permeate my apartment. My neighbours probably hate me but who cares, besides it's usually way too cold to roast outside here.

I understand that the behmor 1600 plus drum roaster has a smoke suppressor (though it still gets smokey of course). That's probably what I'm looking at if I decide to upgrade.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Tippecanoe posted:

SR500 here, I just pull my smoke alarm batteries out and let the delicious coffee smell permeate my apartment. My neighbours probably hate me but who cares, besides it's usually way too cold to roast outside here.

I understand that the behmor 1600 plus drum roaster has a smoke suppressor (though it still gets smokey of course). That's probably what I'm looking at if I decide to upgrade.

Been using the behmor ever since I was shown the light by forums poster ded, but I didn't realize that was a smoke suppressor on it. It still smokes, would not recommend using it indoors. I use mine out in the shop, with a shop fan pointing out. Roasted a pound one sunny afternoon, some schoolkids came over to warn me there was a fire in my home, lol. It smokes.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, I upgraded to the Behmor and it smokes/smells about the same amount. It's not a lot but it would probably set off an alarm. My wife hates the smell so there so is no way I can roast inside regardless. I'm in Orlando though so roasting outside year round is fine.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

rockcity posted:

I have an SR500 that I used for a couple years. I don't recommend using it indoors. Sure you can, but I can tell you that the roasting smell really lingers for a long time and you still run the risk of setting off the smoke alarm even though there really isn't much smoke.

Also, this thread reminded me again that I still want a bottomless portafilter for my Silvia.

The guy we got our La Cimbali from had this one custom made.
I thought it would be just a gimmick, but it really helps to dial in shots when you can see how even(or uneven) of a tamp affects extraction.

Rusty Bodega
Feb 12, 2012

Colowful Wizuds
Well then... I guess whatever I pick I'll have to be outside (potentially).

My popcorn popper (Poppery II) had smoke but I usually did it under our stove vent so it filtered through pretty well. Smell was alright, no one complained. Might buy an SR500 and mess around, worse case I fight the frigid weather.

A few more years until I buy a home, then, I roast...

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

rockcity posted:

My wife hates the smell so there so is no way I can roast inside regardless.

Dude. Disliking roast coffee smell?

:sever:

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
I live like 50 metres away from a coffee roasters and I don't really like the smell of it, maybe because they roast a lot of different beans and do some real charcoal roasts idk. I love the smell of fresh ground beans or a fresh brew from my espresso machine or moka though.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Rusty Bodega posted:

Well then... I guess whatever I pick I'll have to be outside (potentially).

My popcorn popper (Poppery II) had smoke but I usually did it under our stove vent so it filtered through pretty well. Smell was alright, no one complained. Might buy an SR500 and mess around, worse case I fight the frigid weather.

A few more years until I buy a home, then, I roast...

How did you deal with the chaffe? I have the same popper but have to go outside with it (New England) so winter roasting doesn’t happen for me.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jan posted:

Dude. Disliking roast coffee smell?

:sever:

Coffee roasting smell and roasted coffee smell are very different. I don't like the roasting smell either personally. I can tolerate it but it is not a smell I would call good. She is also hyper sensitive to all smells really so I don't blame her.

Rusty Bodega
Feb 12, 2012

Colowful Wizuds

nwiniwn posted:

How did you deal with the chaffe? I have the same popper but have to go outside with it (New England) so winter roasting doesn’t happen for me.

Get a large bowl (metal or glass preferred) and wet a few sheets of paper towel, then lay them within the bowl. Aim the plastic top towards the bowl, and roast. Chaff sticks to the papertowel like glue. I think out of the 20+ times I did it indoors, I barely had chaff go loose (aside from the occasional few on the stovetop.)

Quick Edit: Over time, the plastic top will melt. Let it cool down a bit to prolong the cover's life, and try not to roast back-to-back.

Rusty Bodega fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 3, 2018

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I tried roasting with my Behmor inside once. Once.

There are some activities which just shouldn't be done indoors. My normal go to when I roasted was just in my garage. If it wasn't too terribly cold, I'd just keep the door open.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I use a stovetop whirlypop indoors, with the hood exhaust on high and a box fan pointed out the kitchen window.

withak fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 3, 2018

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

It's supposed to get up to 41F here today and you can bet I'll be facing South roasting a pound, maybe 2.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Rusty Bodega posted:

Get a large bowl (metal or glass preferred) and wet a few sheets of paper towel, then lay them within the bowl. Aim the plastic top towards the bowl, and roast. Chaff sticks to the papertowel like glue. I think out of the 20+ times I did it indoors, I barely had chaff go loose (aside from the occasional few on the stovetop.)

Quick Edit: Over time, the plastic top will melt. Let it cool down a bit to prolong the cover's life, and try not to roast back-to-back.

Ah ok, I overlooked your OP...I got rid of my top a long time ago and put a can in the top so beans wouldn't pop out and I could roast more-I was thinking your setup was the same and I couldn't figure out how chaffe wasn't going everywhere...your way makes complete sense and I used to do that too, when I still had the lid.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

kemikalkadet posted:

I live like 50 metres away from a coffee roasters and I don't really like the smell of it, maybe because they roast a lot of different beans and do some real charcoal roasts idk. I love the smell of fresh ground beans or a fresh brew from my espresso machine or moka though.
Our shop is down the street from two breweries and some days the whole neighborhood just stinks of hops. They keep our minifridge stocked though so :shrug: :dance:

Rusty Bodega
Feb 12, 2012

Colowful Wizuds

nwiniwn posted:

Ah ok, I overlooked your OP...I got rid of my top a long time ago and put a can in the top so beans wouldn't pop out and I could roast more-I was thinking your setup was the same and I couldn't figure out how chaffe wasn't going everywhere...your way makes complete sense and I used to do that too, when I still had the lid.

I'm thinking of making my own lid with mesh and trying that out. Mold it from the original or something.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Hi thread, I've been a coffee nerd for a little while but I was always way more interested in the beans than the equipment. No wonder I could never get a cup as good at home as I could at my local shop. It wasn't until recently when my cheap burr grinder started crapping out and grinding even more inconsistently than usual that I finally got the point of a good grinder. My baratza encore, kalita wave style set, and ovalware gooseneck should be here next week :synthy:

I also got a CCB for making coffee at work...interested to see how it compares to the Kalita or the aeropress which I currently use.

Question - do those vacuum canisters actually work for keeping ground beans fresh? I'd like to be able to grind a week's worth of coffee at home at the beginning of the week and then bring it to work.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 7, 2018

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Mikey Purp posted:

Hi thread, I've been a coffee nerd for a little while but I was always way more interested in the beans than the equipment. No wonder I could never get a cup as good at home as I could at my local shop. It wasn't until recently when my cheap burr grinder started crapping out and grinding even more inconsistently than usual that I finally got the point of a good grinder. My baratza encore, kalita wave style set, and ovalware gooseneck should be here next week :synthy:

I also got a CCB for making coffee at work...interested to see how it compares to the Kalita or the aeropress which I currently use.

Question - do those vacuum canisters actually work for keeping ground beans fresh? I'd like to be able to grind a week's worth of coffee at home at the beginning of the week and then bring it to work.

Mikey Purp posted:

Take a hand grinder and scale to work. Be the envy of everyone in your office.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Been using a bodum bistro for a few years and I've gotten tired of the grinder occasionally getting stuck resulting in lovely espressos until I take it apart and clean the burr. Particularly irritating when I'm jumping between french press and espresso as the bean canister jumps around at the coarse grind and I have to take it apart to find the stuck bean before I can set it back to espresso.

Finally decided it's time to upgrade to something that's easier to switch between coarse and fine grinds but jesus there are a ridiculous amount of grinders to pick from and some are huge. I'm attempting to stay near the size of my current grinder and the Nemox Lux came up in searches and reviews are decent. Can anyone comment on it?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I have the breville smart grinder pro and it's everything I hoped for and then some. Unless the durability just isn't thereI can't see myself purchasing anything else unless I jump a few hundreds higher in price.

it was 180$ Canadian when I bought it

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Breville has popped up a few times but I live in Germany where the rebranded grinder is 300 euros in France :(

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

I have the breville smart grinder pro and it's everything I hoped for and then some. Unless the durability just isn't thereI can't see myself purchasing anything else unless I jump a few hundreds higher in price.

it was 180$ Canadian when I bought it

I've had one for almost four years now and it's run with zero flaws the entire time. My only complaint is that my version really isn't capable of coarse enough coffee for French press, but apparently that has been fixed in a newer version. I use mine mostly for V60 and espresso and it does a pretty solid job at both.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I have the newer version and it can go really coarse, especially if you adjust the inner ring thing.

What sort of maintenance do you do with it?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Welp, my baratza VP gave up the ghost this morning. Went to make my morning pourover and it ground for about half a second, made a little click and stopped dead. Tried a few things, but all it does is make the little whirring noise like if you try to turn the dial while it’s unplugged.

At least I managed to dig up my hand grinder after a while so I wasn’t completely without.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hauki posted:

Welp, my baratza VP gave up the ghost this morning. Went to make my morning pourover and it ground for about half a second, made a little click and stopped dead. Tried a few things, but all it does is make the little whirring noise like if you try to turn the dial while it’s unplugged.

At least I managed to dig up my hand grinder after a while so I wasn’t completely without.

It may have coffee dust in the switch. I think that happened to me once. Can you take off the case and blast some air through there? It's simple enough to remove, look at their youtubes.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mr. Mambold posted:

It may have coffee dust in the switch. I think that happened to me once. Can you take off the case and blast some air through there? It's simple enough to remove, look at their youtubes.

Hm, alright, thanks. I’ll see if I have time to try that tonight after work.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hauki posted:

Hm, alright, thanks. I’ll see if I have time to try that tonight after work.

Yeah when that happened to me a few months back, I ordered a new circuit board from them. Then I thought about it and hit it with an air chuck, and voila. 2 days later, the board arrived, which for $12 iirc, :shrug: it's in a parts drawer.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

I have the newer version and it can go really coarse, especially if you adjust the inner ring thing.

What sort of maintenance do you do with it?

I have done very little, outside of the occasional brush cleaning and running some rice grains through it to soak up oils.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Take a hand grinder and scale to work. Be the envy of everyone in your office.

I just brought a scale and my crappy Secura burr grinder to work instead. When this finally kicks the bucket maybe I'll get a Hario Skerton.

Have any of you guys tried Modern Times coffee? I love their beers and have had a few amazing ones which are brewed with their barrel aged coffee, but have never had the coffee straight up. I'm considering trying a tier 2 subscription for a couple of months, but wonder if anyone itt has had it. Do you feel that it's worth the price?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Mikey Purp posted:

I just brought a scale and my crappy Secura burr grinder to work instead. When this finally kicks the bucket maybe I'll get a Hario Skerton.

Have any of you guys tried Modern Times coffee? I love their beers and have had a few amazing ones which are brewed with their barrel aged coffee, but have never had the coffee straight up. I'm considering trying a tier 2 subscription for a couple of months, but wonder if anyone itt has had it. Do you feel that it's worth the price?

I've wanted to but just haven't yet. I've seen their beans at whole foods but they don't have roast dates on the packages so I can't tell how fresh they are (and the local place is great and cheaper). I am probably going to the brewery soon so maybe I will get a chance then.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mikey Purp posted:

Their beans are generally over-roasted and not worth it at all IMO.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

rockcity posted:

I have done very little, outside of the occasional brush cleaning and running some rice grains through it to soak up oils.

Cool! I'll be buying some grindz just to help, but I'm happy to know they can survive.

Just bought some coffee from Social Coffee and Tea co. I think I found my coffee supplier for the forseable future. It's so cheap for what it is. Freshly roasted, shipped for free in 3 days and their flagship "people's daily" is drat good for the price (12oz for 14$ CDN) and perfect for the milk drink they are going into most of the time. Probably going to get some of their fancier single origin for my aeropress at work

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I've read through the OP, but it seems out-of-date and all of the picture links are broken, so hoping I can get an answer here. My wife and I would like to upgrade our coffee drinking. We currently use a Tassimo machine, and would like to move to something better.

Ideally I would like an automatic machine, which can be set to make 2 flasks worth of coffee ready for us to leave for work in the morning. Some of the automatic drip coffee machines look ok. I don't really want to have to pay £300 for the Technivorm monster. Would something like this have reasonable results, or is it going to be crap?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Morphy-Richards-162010-Filter-Coffee/dp/B01G5NOEAC/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1515773786&sr=1-2&keywords=drip+over+coffee+machines

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

So my arthritic wrists are rapidly making heat gun/dog bowl very, very uncomfortable. Thinking about getting the behmor 1600, but not sure if it will roast to a full city which is my preference. Any input on darker roasts with the Behmor? Or suggestions for a different roaster?

I could probably justify $400 hundred bucks for a roaster to my wife, but anything more than that would be pushing it.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

a mysterious cloak posted:

So my arthritic wrists are rapidly making heat gun/dog bowl very, very uncomfortable. Thinking about getting the behmor 1600, but not sure if it will roast to a full city which is my preference. Any input on darker roasts with the Behmor? Or suggestions for a different roaster?

I could probably justify $400 hundred bucks for a roaster to my wife, but anything more than that would be pushing it.

I have a Behmor 1600 Plus that I use for dark roasts all the time. There are preset timers, and I think the longest you can set it to is 23 minutes and something. However, the way around it is to push the "C" button before the time runs out, and it will just start a 3 minute count down. This is supposed to be a "first crack" timer, but you aren't limited to how many times you can start it over. It's kind of a pain in the rear end, but much preferable to the HGDB method that I was using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

The Creature posted:

I have a Behmor 1600 Plus that I use for dark roasts all the time. There are preset timers, and I think the longest you can set it to is 23 minutes and something. However, the way around it is to push the "C" button before the time runs out, and it will just start a 3 minute count down. This is supposed to be a "first crack" timer, but you aren't limited to how many times you can start it over. It's kind of a pain in the rear end, but much preferable to the HGDB method that I was using.

It's got 18 minute preset for a pound, and then yeah the C button gets another 3-4 minutes
Plus a 15 second bump button. You go that far on high heat setting, you'll likely have charcoal. You want to pull out before then.
You need to watch the tutes and play with smaller amounts to get a feel for it, as they recommend.
I love mine.