Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

i like this dumb loving trashy show a lot and laughed a bunch in the new episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I think this is one of the first shows / movies to accurately portray rolling since Go.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nothing worse than walking into a dubstep night while too high to leave.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

muscles like this! posted:

I'm wondering if they tried a version of that scene without the subtitles.

That was the best

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fantastic episode. I really wish the first season didn't exist so I could just recommend this show to people, because it always has to come with the disclaimer of "the first season's poo poo, but you can probably skip it if you read the plot summaries on Wikipedia I guess."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Fantastic episode. I really wish the first season didn't exist so I could just recommend this show to people, because it always has to come with the disclaimer of "the first season's poo poo, but you can probably skip it if you read the plot summaries on Wikipedia I guess."

Why would you do this? :(

Even if the first season isn't the greatest (and honestly I quite like it) the show's plot dense enough that you'd need the time to get attached to the cast before all the poo poo goes down early on.

Just recommend the show!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

the show's plot dense enough that you'd need the time to get attached to the cast before all the poo poo goes down early on.
That's why I don't recommend it at all.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tiggum posted:

That's why I don't recommend it at all.

I meant in Season Two -- Alice and Marina dying wouldn't have the same impact without the first season, nor the Julia stuff at the end

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Ugh. Episode didn't unlock on Google Play until after I went to bed last night. Well, I'll watch it first thing after work today.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I love this trashy show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

I meant in Season Two -- Alice and Marina dying wouldn't have the same impact without the first season, nor the Julia stuff at the end

Yeah, I meant that's why I don't recommend the show at all. You kind of need the first season, but it's bad and I can't recommend it. :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That conversation in code was the most brilliant thing this show has done yet.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
"The best episode of Buffy."
"Musical?"

The absurdity of the show is its strength and I'm glad they got around to giving no shits and embraced it. Everything about that episode rocked.

Is Josh a permanent cast member this season or still only doing a handful of appearances? After last season he's almost contending for best character and I hope they keep that trend running.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mortanis posted:

Is Josh a permanent cast member this season or still only doing a handful of appearances? After last season he's almost contending for best character and I hope they keep that trend running.

IIRC, he and Fenn were upped to regulars.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Josh is excellent but Penny will forever be MVP.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Bacchus thinking trivial pursuit star trek edition is the kind of thing to bust out in a debauched party really kind of fits.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like how they go into a party full of naked people, and Julia is still the hottest by 2 light years.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Finished the episode and really enjoyed it. I think the stuff with Julia and Q was the high point for me. They haven't gotten to spend much time on screen for characters that knew each other for so long, and I think they had natural chemistry as very old, often troubled, friends. The "pop culture cipher" conversation was pretty good, but I'm also glad to see that the Marlee Matlin came back for the subtitled ASL scenes with Kady. God I'm hype for this season.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mortanis posted:

"Musical?"

The absurdity of the show is its strength and I'm glad they got around to giving no shits and embraced it. Everything about that episode rocked.
The best part is that I think most people probably would consider "Once More With Feeling" and "Hush" to be the best 2 episodes of Buffy. Hooray for not just pop culture references but correct pop culture references!

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Rocksicles posted:

I like how they go into a party full of naked people, and Julia is still the hottest by 2 light years.

Julia is really hot, so...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wonder what the extras casting call for that was like.

"Party goers, mostly unclothed"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

anothergod posted:

Julia is really hot, so...

Everyone on this show is hot.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Josh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

He smolders a little.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

thats just the cherry on the joint hes smoking

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Josh is mothah-fukkin adorable, you shut your face.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Mortanis posted:

"Musical?"

I love how excited Margo was at first; you just know she was dying to cast that spell again.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

hangedman1984 posted:

Josh is mothah-fukkin adorable, you shut your face.

He hosed a werewolf, not many can say that they did that.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
re: First season being bad, I definitely agree. I know at least TWO people who stopped watching the show as a direct result of the episode where Quentin was trapped in a psychiatric hospital in his own mind because it was too triggering, and understandably so. And they didn't even get to Julia's supernatural sexual assault either.

Everything season 1 built up, was expanded upon way better in season 2, but season 1 really did have some pretty horrific moments that makes it a very hard show to recommend to anyone. And many of my friends have trauma related to the most horrific moments of season 1, so.... if I were to "recommend" them, I'd also drop major big time content warnings. and if I have to do that to recommend a show... well, recommending the show isn't something I can do in good conscience.

That being said, episode 1 of season 3 was a blast. Bunnies were great. That party was pretty interesting. And yeah, I like Josh quite a bit.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lupus Rufus posted:

re: First season being bad, I definitely agree. I know at least TWO people who stopped watching the show as a direct result of the episode where Quentin was trapped in a psychiatric hospital in his own mind because it was too triggering, and understandably so.

I almost gave up the show after that episode for another reason: The "maybe the protagonist is insane?" storyline has been done to death and only the "shake it off" dance party made the episode watchable.
But the show actually points how monstrous it was to do against someone who has been institutionalized.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's something, ahem, magical about having a bunch of bunnies all mumbling "the great cock" over and over again.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I liked season 1 better than season 2. Maybe I like bad TV.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

anothergod posted:

I liked season 1 better than season 2. Maybe I like bad TV.

It's OK you just need calibration, insert a digit on your butthole and walk around in a figure 8.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Season 1 had the invisible castle.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Dude's game is loving fire. He hosed a were wolf.

muscles like this! posted:

Season 1 had the invisible castle.

That was season 2 when Eliot got into the Dad/son role play.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No, in the first season finale they visit a castle which is invisible because the "kingdom's" budget had run out because of too much spending early on and so to save money they made their castle invisible.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lupus Rufus posted:

re: First season being bad, I definitely agree. I know at least TWO people who stopped watching the show as a direct result of the episode where Quentin was trapped in a psychiatric hospital in his own mind because it was too triggering, and understandably so. And they didn't even get to Julia's supernatural sexual assault either.

Everything season 1 built up, was expanded upon way better in season 2, but season 1 really did have some pretty horrific moments that makes it a very hard show to recommend to anyone. And many of my friends have trauma related to the most horrific moments of season 1, so.... if I were to "recommend" them, I'd also drop major big time content warnings. and if I have to do that to recommend a show... well, recommending the show isn't something I can do in good conscience.

That being said, episode 1 of season 3 was a blast. Bunnies were great. That party was pretty interesting. And yeah, I like Josh quite a bit.

Uhm, you're talking about the show being difficult to watch, or offputting because of its subject matter, right? i.e. whether it's upsetting or not.

I think everyone else is talking about whether the first season is poorly crafted television or not. Different thing.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Wasn't the first season based more on the books and the second season sort of did its own thing?

I like the books, especially the first and third. The mental hospital bit doens't exist in the books though and all the horrific stuff with Julia is in book 2.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Ccs posted:

Wasn't the first season based more on the books and the second season sort of did its own thing?

I like the books, especially the first and third. The mental hospital bit doens't exist in the books though and all the horrific stuff with Julia is in book 2.

Yeah, the first season follows the books more closely, but obviously the structure of the books meant that they couldn't really stay there very long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's been better since they ditched the books. They are committing to the silliness and it's working.