Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keith Stack
Nov 5, 2008

I walked into Sam Goody today and picked this bad boy up.

Like many, I didn't care much for the movie, but nobody can deny the music was amazing. This track really stood out to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN5yJypyyRo

Anyone else get this yet? Feel free to share your favorite songs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

:yikes:

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
I was hoping this was a real movie starring Apu and not some triggered millenial dipshit

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Kak posted:

I was hoping this was a real movie starring Apu and not some triggered millenial dipshit

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I’m Indian and I like Apu.

“You are not Ganesh, Ganesh is graceful!”

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i heard the bit on npr about this and i couldn't understand what the apu problem was

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's 2018, and so now it's time to be upset about Apu.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
i dunno but it is interesting how in The Lion King all the main characters have British or American accents and the only charterer with an "African" accent is the god drat monkey shaman

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

I dunno what this thing in the OP is but I think it's not too controversial a statement to consider Apu a fairly reductive racial caricature that doesn't really belong in polite society.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Kak posted:

Dont sign your posts

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

I find this thread........... problematic.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Zazi posted:

I dunno what this thing in the OP is but I think it's not too controversial a statement to consider Apu a fairly reductive racial caricature that doesn't really belong in polite society.

Yup. I haven't seen this documentary but I've read several articles/interviews with Indian and other brown actors/comedians over the years who have talked about how insanely tough it was getting into the entertainment business without overcoming obscene racism and some white dude who created an immensely popular cartoon stereotype about your ethnicity doesn't help. This isn't some kind of profound conclusion.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Zippy the Bummer posted:

i dunno but it is interesting how in The Lion King all the main characters have British or American accents and the only charterer with an "African" accent is the god drat monkey shaman

they accurately casted whoopi goldberg as a hyena though, although apparently a hyena researcher sued disney for defamation of character on behalf of hyenas or something i guess

Woden
May 6, 2006
It's a pretty good doco, it explores how until recently the only Indian on TV was a racist caricature and how it affected Indians growing up. It spends way too much time trying to get the voice actor to talk to him though, and it ends up going nowhere.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Yeah I read that article too

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
Diddy Kong Racing suuuuxxxxxxxx

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
thank you, dont cone again :agesilaus:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Yup. I haven't seen this documentary but I've read several articles/interviews with Indian and other brown actors/comedians over the years who have talked about how insanely tough it was getting into the entertainment business without overcoming obscene racism and some white dude who created an immensely popular cartoon stereotype about your ethnicity doesn't help. This isn't some kind of profound conclusion.

Kalpen Singh's career's goin nowhere, but Kal Penn is movin up up up

"Oh, do you do the accent? We need the accent"

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Justice will be served once every single episode of the Simpsons is been tossed in a fire and the writers ritually scarred with acid. And even then it will only be upheld if we constantly remind our grandchildren about how a cartoon they will never see was on the wrong side of history.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Dean of Swing posted:

Justice will be served once every single episode of the Simpsons is been tossed in a fire and the writers ritually scarred with acid. And even then it will only be upheld if we constantly remind our grandchildren about how a cartoon they will never see was on the wrong side of history.

The documentary's take isn't nearly this harsh, tbh

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
plz do the needful

Keith Stack
Nov 5, 2008

This was another killer track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccIemIqI3_k

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Choke on glass if you dislike Apu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
To be fair when i lived next to a 7-11 an indian, or pakistani maybe, guy worked there all day every day. He was cool though he came over and smoked weed once.

• Locked thread