Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Me and some goons have opted to play this game. We're doing quite well all told. I expected this to end in disaster but things are going well.

If you are already aware of SWGEmu, get yourself setup and join us here:
https://discord.gg/aCZX5tm

If you want to join the guild or help us re-restablish goontown, I am the current mayor, and Kazr is the current guild leader. A handful of us can invite but i'm the one loser with the most free time and i'm frequently not far from the guild hall due to managing the city and getting people set up. Goontown is starving for citizens and I'm starving votes to make it a useful player city. As it stands we are due to be upgraded to village in a day or two. Beyond that we need way more citizens, and I need votes because votes translate to politician exp which translates to me being able to place useful buildings like shuttles, garages, and clone centers. We're currently on dantooine.

[Placeholder text for a picture of goontown as it exists now]

I recently inherited a large house thats currently outside city limits, but the goon who owned it signed over millions of server-best or near-to-server best materials, and millions in credits. I have a crate of swoops and a great many means to help newbies or people who are making new characters/have limited in-game resources, as starting from scratch in this game is a ball-buster.

If you don't know about SWG, or SWGEMU, here's the essentials of Star Wars Galaxies' history and why the emu exists in the first place.

This game launched in the early aughts, after a rough beta where the players rightly pointed out the game was busted, it launched in a broken state. However, within a year of release the game was a fascinating and rapidly improving sandbox where the goal was less about being Luke Skywalker (although there is a path to being sith/jedi), and more about making your way in the star wars universe. It shut down some years ago, apparently in a bid to force all of the dwindling subscribers to play Bioware's way worse MMO and not confuse the market, as the sunset date was almost the exact same time as SW:TOR's launch. SWTOR is an interesting single player game if you love star wars poo poo, but it's nothing like Star Wars Galaxies, and is a themepark MMO to SWG's sandbox mmo.

The death of SWG wasn't a mournful event for many people, because after years of mis-managed development, mostly driven by Lucasarts foolishly forcing SOE to take the game away from its sandbox roots in a bid to get WoW-like subscriber numbers, Galaxies was more or less overhauled in two infamous overhauls called the Combat Upgrade and the NGE (New Game Enhancements). Together, this basically stapled on theme-part mmo gameplay and most people hated it.

SWGEmu aims to re-create the game at its technical peak, before the CU and NGE, using the final publish before those changes for its base. And it's almost there! Some features are missing, for example everything having to do with Jump To Lightspeed does not work. Jedis are finally in as well, using the final method of becoming a jedi, the Jedi Village. Instead of holocron hunting (holocrons are worthless except as house decorations), you earn badges, which make you force sensitive. Once you're sensitive enough, you can start the grindy path to becoming a sith or jedi, which is decided by your faction affiliation. Imperial players will unlock the sith path, and rebellion gets the jedi path.

It's worth noting that <GS> is an imperial guild and most of our members are neutral or imperial. Although none of us have any problem with people who want to be rebels, you'll have a hard time pvp'ing with us.

Here's why you should join us goons and <GS>
The short of it is this: If you like sandbox games, SWG at this point was the ultimate sandbox mmo. An entirely player driven economy like Eve Online, but with a game underneath that's actually fun to play.

This is a game where you can build a house, build a town, and just about every role is available to you, you can prospect for minerals, you can be an architect, you can become a renowned armor or weaponsmith. You can do whatever the hell you want, including picking a side in the rebellion. I'm currently neutral but I'll eventually be taking sides myself. If you get involved in PVP you can purchase military bases and other things. Bounty hunters can hunt down and kill jedi and sith for cash. Teras Kasi artists can become unmatched kung-fu masters who can wreck your poo poo, and marksmen can kill you before you even see them. There is a lot to do, and all kinds of roles from combat, to crafting, being a bio-engineer, or a combat medic capable of releasing horrifying diseases and poisons on the battlefield. Or if you're into basically being a stripper getting paid in tips, you can train to be a dancer while a friend trains to be a musician. You start out as a blank slate and you can do whatever you want in an entirely player driven economy.

This game has one of the most interesting crafting systems ever made. Not all crafting materials are made the same. Take something like steel, not only are there different kinds of steel, there are varying qualities. You'll frequently harvest garbage that's worthless, and if you craft with garbage materials, you get ineffective, inferior items as a result. Because of this, no two sets of armor, no two swords are ever completely identical. The game also allows you to craft and harvest resources on an industrial scale. You start out surveying and gathering on your lonesome, but when you begin finding valuable resources you'll find yourself planting automated harvesters of varying sizes, and suddenly you're putting down factories to produce the weapons, houses, and armor to sell in large quantities, as high-end goods and materials are always in high demand.

If you're interested, you need to find yourself a copy of Star Wars: Galaxies. There are legitimate ways, and there are illegitimate ways to do this. I cannot advocate piracy but personally I don't give a rats rear end how you get your copy as the people running the server can't prove it one way or the other. If you get in trouble or find yourself dealing with admins and devs, they may ask for proof of ownership, so if you do go the piracy route, dont talk about it and dont get in trouble. Don't be stupid. This isn't Eve Online and acting like a jackass easily gets the wrong kind of attention.

Now that you have a copy of SWG, install it. Then you need to go here and make an account: https://www.swgemu.com/forums/index.php

Then you need to download their launcher: http://launchpad2.net/setup.exe, which will then patch your game and allow you to do a few things and comes with a skill calculator and other handy things.

This server allows you to have 10 characters, and it allows you to multibox two at a time. This is handy, because there are several very useful and lucrative professions like entertainer that are very boring to play unless you enjoy roleplaying a jizz-wailer or a twi-lek stripper, you'll be using those characters to fund more interesting adventures.

I know this isn't usual GBS fare, but the MMO HMO gets very little traffic and Games is home to a different, often less chill kind of goon. So far the people this thread has attracted have been very laid back and fun people. Join us in discord and come have fun with us.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

can you murder ewoks and jawas and ugnauts and pile all of their tiny corpses together in this game

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

The Goodwill down the street has a copy of Galaxies for 14.99 I think I will try this.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

free hubcaps posted:

can you murder ewoks and jawas and ugnauts and pile all of their tiny corpses together in this game

i dont think you can travel to the planet ewoks are from. i may be mistaken. You can almost definitely kill jawas though.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
In the trial version, it took me a long time doing crappy odd jobs to save up a huge stack of money to purchase a vehicle. At the same time, I decided it would be fun to join the empire and make my status "overt."

Before my computer could even finish loading the new city I fast traveled to, someone murdered my rear end and destroyed my expensive vehicle I saved up so much for.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

Wicker Man posted:

In the trial version, it took me a long time doing crappy odd jobs to save up a huge stack of money to purchase a vehicle. At the same time, I decided it would be fun to join the empire and make my status "overt."

Before my computer could even finish loading the new city I fast traveled to, someone murdered my rear end and destroyed my expensive vehicle I saved up so much for.

owned

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wicker Man posted:

A Good MMO

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I recall SWG was probably the most ranted about/hated MMO game up to that point. Yeah Ultima Online launched in a barely playable mess but SWG made forum folk viscerally angry because of what it was and wasn't. Also by extension Sony Online was pretty hated by the very audience base they were courting because after buying out Everquest their future games were either buggy at launch or a bit lackluster with higher-than-normal monthly fees. Everything they did was met with derision and anger; with all the report about EQ1 players spending hours in front of the PCs, SOE copped one of the first major sponsorship-promo deals in a game for EQ2. Typing "/pizza" would start the automatic process of having Pizza Hut make a delivery. Autists and nerds bitched that was a sellout move that broke the fantasy immersion.

...anyway, good luck finding other players. It's always kind of neat to hear that long-discarded games aren't totally forgotten, especially in the MMO sector where soloing is almost impossible in most games.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
my left ball is bigger than my right ball

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Agent Escalus posted:

I recall SWG was probably the most ranted about/hated MMO game up to that point. Yeah Ultima Online launched in a barely playable mess but SWG made forum folk viscerally angry because of what it was and wasn't. Also by extension Sony Online was pretty hated by the very audience base they were courting because after buying out Everquest their future games were either buggy at launch or a bit lackluster with higher-than-normal monthly fees. Everything they did was met with derision and anger; with all the report about EQ1 players spending hours in front of the PCs, SOE copped one of the first major sponsorship-promo deals in a game for EQ2. Typing "/pizza" would start the automatic process of having Pizza Hut make a delivery. Autists and nerds bitched that was a sellout move that broke the fantasy immersion.

...anyway, good luck finding other players. It's always kind of neat to hear that long-discarded games aren't totally forgotten, especially in the MMO sector where soloing is almost impossible in most games.

SWG had one of the worst launches in the history of ever, but it rapidly improved, however when the subscriber base didn't recover (how they could've expected this after that launch is beyond me) they made much more drastic changes that destroyed the game entirely, and by the time they put it out of its misery it was a joke of a game.

This emulator is attempting to re-create the game at its peak, which is somehere in the early to mid half of the game's lifespan. This would be when people on the internet would go "you know... it was bad... but its kinda good now"

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
I don't understand what the point of playing a MMO that isn't being worked on anymore. What do you do once you run out of content.

It's like the people clamoring for vanilla WoW servers. All the content has been mapped out and played through. Everyone knows what the best classes/skill trees are. I don't get it/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC the game failed badly at being the kind of MMO they intended, but became super popular as basically Star Wars themed Second Life with communities and roleplaying and all that crap. So then they completely changed the game to massively turn off all the existing players, let everyone be a Jedi, in the expectation of a new player demographic that never materialised.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
i watched a guy play this way back when it was a thing

i just remember him running, running endlessly across a vast featureless desert

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I remember when that game was coming out and I knew it was going to suck because either you only let a very small number of people be Jedis and then that sucks from a "game" point of view or you let anyone be a Jedi which sucks from a "roleplay" and "immersion" and "feels special" point of view.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

COMRADES posted:

I remember when that game was coming out and I knew it was going to suck because either you only let a very small number of people be Jedis and then that sucks from a "game" point of view or you let anyone be a Jedi which sucks from a "roleplay" and "immersion" and "feels special" point of view.

The funny thing is that they started with the former and then changed it to the latter, resulting in absolutely nobody being happy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

gently caress yeah I've always wanted to try SWG at the peak I've been waiting for something like this. It'll be a few days as I'm working, but yknow

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Kak posted:

I don't understand what the point of playing a MMO that isn't being worked on anymore. What do you do once you run out of content.

It's like the people clamoring for vanilla WoW servers. All the content has been mapped out and played through. Everyone knows what the best classes/skill trees are. I don't get it/

Blizzard is actually releasing legacy servers soon and I'm looking forward to seeing the scales fall from people's eyes

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kak posted:

You either move to another game and/or you chill with the people you like. They might migrate to something new with you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

God loving dammit I miss City of Heroes.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Kak posted:

This game is a giant sandbox and the content is more or less generated by the players. The devs job is to make a functional toolset and the players' to make the game interesting. The more player involvement, the more fun the game. SWG(at this dev build) happens to be good at fostering this.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Can I bang one of those blue chicks in this game?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

504 posted:

Can I bang one of those blue chicks in this game?

Since this is a MMO, I can guarantee you certainly can.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

SWG Basilisk has an RP heavy contingent so if there's an alien you wanna gently caress you can bet someone is down and they're a professional dancer too who will buff you for watching while you type sex with them

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
RP?

I wanna bang one of them blue chicks.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Do you have a full list of profession and skill trees available?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

504 posted:

RP?

I wanna bang one of them blue chicks.
Role-playing. They're the weirdos who play 'in-character' and take it all way too seriously.

Closest you can get irl is finding a girl way into rp and cosplay, along with a tarp to catch all the blue body paint.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
that's well and ood but is there a mode where you go on space adventures

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Do you have a full list of profession and skill trees available?

It would take a while to unironically screencap every available profession tree and post them but this wiki has the pre-nge skill tree, which is close enough to what you'll have available.
http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Professions_(pre-NGE)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Those are some versatile options hell yes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a surprisingly untapped market for what amounts to a Sims MMO. Basically somewhere between Animal Crossing and those Facebook clicker games.

It's not like the combat part of most MMOs is very interesting most of the time.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Swg is a big aimless sandbox but god drat the crafting and economy of it is unparalleled

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

SWG is unique in that minerals and other harvestable materials have variable quality. It's not a matter of right clicking a node in world of warcraft. If you manufacture from poo poo grade materials you get a poo poo grade product. Prospecting is insanely profitable and people guard valuable nodes and sources for things like they would in real lifel.

No game has done what SWG did with the economy before or since. Eve came sort of close, but Eve is a poo poo game that's otherwise not fun. SWG is a sandbox MMO with depth AND fun. That's why i even have hte nerve to advocate for playing it with me and a couple others here in GBS.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kak posted:

Early MMOs have a different design philosophy than post-WoW ones. While later MMOs are about grouping up for raids and going through story content, early MMOs encouraged a lot more community interaction, ideally serving as hubs for actual communities with all sorts of mechanics encouraging people to find and fill their own specifically unique niches in said community. Combat was secondary to exploration and interacting with the community, so a lack of new content isn’t as big a deal compared to other MMOs.

Of course, it turns out most people who play these games end up being assholes in one way or another, which is why more structured MMOs like WoW took off and made crazy mad bank while the other ones slowly faded away as the communities ate each other up until people quit due to frustration / real life stuff

That said I generally prefer the older MMOs solely because, due to how they’re structured, they always have the best griefing stories.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
The only MMO I ever played and enjoyed was EVE, and all I enjoyed about it was scamming people out of their money and beating up unsuspecting nerds with a stealth bomber.

Can you steal from people and ruin their fun in this game that's what I want to know.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How can i block one SA avatar without blocking all of them? OP's avatar is giving me a loving seizure.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

communism bitch posted:

The only MMO I ever played and enjoyed was EVE, and all I enjoyed about it was scamming people out of their money and beating up unsuspecting nerds with a stealth bomber.

Can you steal from people and ruin their fun in this game that's what I want to know.

You can engage in espionage and whatnot as pvp assets are expensive, if and when jedis are implemented, their death is permanent and even though they are powerful in the end, they spend a long time being weak and vulnerable and hunting them down prematurely causes lots of gried for the person killed and the guild they belong to..

Actual scamming like eve-style things such as recruitment scams are likely disallowed, and there's likely no such demand for joining any goon guild, the extant one <GS> is, according to Kazr, who i played with a bit tonight, totally dead. You couldn't pull it of, and if you did the server admins are unlikely to tolerate it.

SWG's sandbox is far more pub friendly than eve, and while there are insanely obstuse and difficult aspects like eve, the community is pretty friendly and being known as a guild of assholes is an easy way to find yourself getting gangbanged if you find yourself pvp flagged anywhere.

If you liked eve for the aspects that let you play with the supressed sociopath inside you, it won't deliver you any joy in the slightest. It'd say it's still worth playing as someone who enjoyed the other aspects of eve (combat aside).

If you ever thought the eve economy was interesting but lacked enough actual interaction and gameplay to be interesting, the SWG economy is basically what eve tried and failed to do.

Dongattack posted:

How can i block one SA avatar without blocking all of them? OP's avatar is giving me a loving seizure.

You'll have to blame whoever gave out these silent majority avatars. Sorry about that. I asked the guy in the thread i got it from to change it to a less siezure-inducing one but I don't have the money to blow on avs and word on the street is the silent majority guy is a psycho who will replace any av he gives you the second you try to change or replace it.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Do they have the atmospheric flight added in? I didn't get a chance to try it before they closed it.

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Creature Handler in?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Kak posted:

Depends on the game; stuff like classic WoW servers tend to survive off of a desire for pre-rework stuff, usually pvp related. Everquest classic servers tend to have new content because of how old and thoroughly cracked the game is, other projects like Shadowbane or Gunbound are fueled by enjoyably unique PVP, and other projects like Ragnarok Online are fueled by a desire to see the lategame content without years of grinding + real dollars for hats (Maplestory used to be in this category, but then the official maplestory was reworked into being sane)

beyond that you might as well ask why anyone would play a singleplayer game with no new planned DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inescapable Duck posted:

There's a surprisingly untapped market for what amounts to a Sims MMO. Basically somewhere between Animal Crossing and those Facebook clicker games.

It's not like the combat part of most MMOs is very interesting most of the time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims_Online ?

• Locked thread