Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Doesn't Australia have a gun ban?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

To top it off, the guy is a Legendary Founder with 4372 games played and an average match score of 196.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 11, 2018

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Doesn't Australia have a gun ban?

That doesn't stop them from making homemade SMGs.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib
The title for the thread should undoubtedly be:

Mechwarrior Online: Highest Skill E-Spurts In Gaming

Why put effort into it, when PGI has already done it?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's pissing me off that you can't center align image links on this forum!

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

My joystick detector just spiked

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I'm not a great player, but it makes me glad to know that there are far worse people than I.

Meh...

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Stringbean posted:

I'm not a great player, but it makes me glad to know that there are far worse people than I.

Meh...

I didn't know this was a thing

Also, I'm not surprised

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I'm kind of curious what my average match score would be if I didn't regularly bring out totally useless monstrosities.

But MWO would be a lot less fun playing only optimal stuff.

E: Looking at that list there are a lot of people who I don't recognize at all in the top 100, and some people who play way too loving much mwo. Look at how many games Sustained Eye Contact has played.

Jesus, look at this poo poo for most games played https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/?o=gp&d=DESC

Commoners fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jan 12, 2018

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I wish the Jarls list didn't exist. Every time I bring out a "fun mech" to play I have to bring out something else to bring the stats back up. It is a very finely tuned process you see. That's how I get the amazingly consistent average performance I've had over the 17 seasons I've played this game for. It's all planned out in my spreadsheet.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

My piddly babby numbers look better than I expected, my survive rate's not very good but hey who needs it with my other numbers.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 13, 2018

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

fromoutofnowhere posted:

It's the standard Griffin-2n with just 4 SRM6's slapped on and as much ammo as I can pack in the corners. I'm still learning about skills and other crap.

Okay, cool. I didn't buy one yet, but a friend of a friend started playing today and I was going to recommend some cheap starter mechs that are fun and effective once he's earned some spacebucks. I'm planning on trying to work up at least one mech in each weight class so their four free mechbays can have a nice spread. I have this for the GRF-2N so far. Probably going to suggest my Crab build for a laser vomit mech that costs about the same.

TjyvTompa posted:

Maybe also put together a list of beginner friendly mechs, like truly beginner friendly and explain what makes it easy to use. For example the 4xLBX10 KDK-3, just point and click. No mechs that require map knowledge or intimate knowledge about other builds, just simple builds that are easy and fun to use. TDR-9SE 3xLPL, that kind of stuff.

I'm trying to put the quad LB10-X Kodiak together since he's only used the trial version so far (three matches total). If they like it enough to want one later, having an effective and simple build would be great. This seem okay?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Mechwarrior: Online: Yes, we're still playing it

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Polka_Rapper posted:

I didn't buy one yet, but a friend of a friend started playing today and

It's okay to admit to playing MWO, we won't think less of you. Much.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Polka_Rapper posted:

Okay, cool. I didn't buy one yet, but a friend of a friend started playing today and I was going to recommend some cheap starter mechs that are fun and effective once he's earned some spacebucks. I'm planning on trying to work up at least one mech in each weight class so their four free mechbays can have a nice spread. I have this for the GRF-2N so far. Probably going to suggest my Crab build for a laser vomit mech that costs about the same.

I'm trying to put the quad LB10-X Kodiak together since he's only used the trial version so far (three matches total). If they like it enough to want one later, having an effective and simple build would be great. This seem okay?

That build is ok but it can be made a bit better like this: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=408&l=9d65a683c328acfc4f86f777d25257de6fa56315

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

aniviron posted:

It's okay to admit to playing MWO, we won't think less of you. Much.

No man, I'm just uh...holding this MWO for a friend!

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Running cooler is probably better for a new player but I'm not sure about 4 armor on the back and/or unarmored arms. At least until I can explain torso twisting and how to deal with light mechs.

Stringbean posted:

No man, I'm just uh...holding this MWO for a friend!

Psst, want to try some mechbays? The first four are free.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Polka_Rapper posted:

Running cooler is probably better for a new player but I'm not sure about 4 armor on the back and/or unarmored arms. At least until I can explain torso twisting and how to deal with light mechs.

Psst, want to try some mechbays? The first four are free.

The quad LBX10 does not have any heat problems, you will probably not ever be able to overheat in it. The 4 back armor is for Real Men, you are free to load up all the back armor you want.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Honestly it's probably better to get used to having thin back armor early. 100 tonners have a lot of structure, and as long as your friend is able to see the big hit indicators that suggest they are getting shot from behind they should be able to eat an alpha without real issue. On the other hand, having fucktons of front armor will help them in almost every single game, especially if they are playing against potatoes that have 20-30 less front armor than they should because their backs are armored.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Agreed, get that armor properly allocated from the start and start learning situational awareness sooner rather than later.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Ah poo poo, I read the OP after I bought a mech. And now I'm stuck with a Kintaro 5-LRM pussy machine.

By which I mean "I'm just gonna sit WAAAAY back here close to 900m away and just lob missiles and get killed by the midget Mechs".

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
Play it at 400m. Use bigger mechs as literal meatshields. Utilize basic situational awareness. Watch your effectiveness skyrocket! (Within reason. It's still lrm5 terribad)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
You could probably turn a Kintaro into a serviceable SRM bomber or MRM striker, lemme tinker a bit and see what I can come up with

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Oh dear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gChKkrvC-lw

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
So it's not perfect but you could do something like this MRM60 build with a KTO-18

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=95&l=c2e147a1e49666ecd979408b78757e2596114483

or maybe something like this SRM24
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=95&l=0165ad576d5c88c004c23cadb0eee73f40c941c3

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Fuckin' Amazing

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
Soo salty. Did he NOT think everything he was doing was on video as well?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Rysithusiku posted:

Soo salty. Did he NOT think everything he was doing was on video as well?

Nah dude, just gotta intimidate the other guy and it'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

New thread is up, enjoy. Or don't, see if I care!

• Locked thread