Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Jack2142 posted:

If I was GRRM I would just say gently caress it and pay some ghostwriter to link together whatever the gently caress chapter fragments I felt like writing / finished just to get people to stop nagging him.

poo poo, with his cash, he could afford to pay ten ghostwriters to each do the same work individually, then pay an editor to pick the best chapters from each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

avoiding side projects like Winds of Winter to focus on books like "cheque book to pay 17 year old girls to keep quiet"

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

who is even going to watch this show in 2019

pretty much the only entertaining thing can be the sheer spectacle of a massive budget undead battle at this point

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Brother Friendship posted:

pretty much the only entertaining thing can be the sheer spectacle of a massive budget undead battle at this point

Most people. We're all so sunk cost fallacied up at this point HBO knows they can do whatever they want to us. Remember what thread this is.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I got an email recently reminding me of the existence of Is Winter Coming. We can't let those guys outlast us.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I got an email recently reminding me of the existence of Is Winter Coming. We can't let those guys outlast us.

Tapatalk is currently driving the last nail in that particular coffin, but our spirit will live on.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Probably every single person who has watched the show up till this point.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
"Who gonna watch this show in 2019?" he asks in a thread about a series without a release in seven years and counting.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lycus posted:

"Who gonna watch this show in 2019?" he asks in a thread about a series without a release in seven years and counting.

Thirteen years, actually. Feast and Dance were meant to the the same book, so they should be treated as such. There hasn’t been a real new ASoIaF book published since 2005.

Also the Sopranos took a year off before it’s final run too, and before GoT came along, it’s last year was the highest rated stretch of programming HBO had ever produced. Ya’ll need to calm the gently caress down.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

HBO does this all the time, it really isn’t a big deal.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I still don't understand why the 2019 thing is surprising anyone at all. At the end of season 6 they said they 7 & 8 would be shorter, and they'd need longer to make them because of CGI. Then they took 18 months to put out season 7. Why would anyone expect less than 18 months for season 8?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
By all rights, the production cycles for S7&8 should've been at least two years each. But nerds are bitchy.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
We want, nay, demand, more lovely television and books.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

And by god we will have them.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Maybe not the lovely books.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

counterfeitsaint posted:

I still don't understand why the 2019 thing is surprising anyone at all. At the end of season 6 they said they 7 & 8 would be shorter, and they'd need longer to make them because of CGI. Then they took 18 months to put out season 7. Why would anyone expect less than 18 months for season 8?

This.

Although the time is much longer between seasons, I feel GOT 7 - 8 is like Breaking Bad 5a - 5b. I'm NOT talking quality wise, but the people invested in the show are going to watch, their anticipation waiting this long to finally see the end, the ratings will be huge.

I know we'll all cynical here, me too, but there's no way the last 6 episodes don't smash ratings, torrents, or whatever the gently caress.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Much like with most wildly popular nerd adaptations, people will pvr/torrent the poo poo out of a weekend show and watch it whenever, they really don't care about quality unless it realllly sucks like LOST, and even then people hold out to the end because 'it's something,' and/or want to cling to whatever 2 minutes of spectacle is in it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Well you're in luck because HBO's greenlit four GoT spin-offs to kill us all slowly with once the mothership wraps next year. I will be there for every second of--BAHAHAHAHA no gently caress this series, I'm out once the final Big Head, Little Head card pops up on screen at the end of 8x06.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

Well you're in luck because HBO's greenlit four GoT spin-offs to kill us all slowly with once the mothership wraps next year. I will be there for every second of--BAHAHAHAHA no gently caress this series, I'm out once the final Big Head, Little Head card pops up on screen at the end of 8x06.

Uuuugh, just like Star Wars. Cause we all wanted a Star Wars movie every 6 months, right

right?

uugh

e: every 6 months for the next loving century
e2: months may not be factually accurate but feels that way.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut5sk0RUlS4

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You're all going to watch all of the spinoffs and you know it

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Martian posted:

Disgusting but true.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Game of Thrones is like Too Big To Fail but for tv. I feel basically obligated to watch it, because if I don't what am I gonna talk about with my coworkers the next day? At the very least I feel obligated to watch either this or The Walking Dead, and gently caress that noise.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

counterfeitsaint posted:

Game of Thrones is like Too Big To Fail but for tv. I feel basically obligated to watch it, because if I don't what am I gonna talk about with my coworkers the next day? At the very least I feel obligated to watch either this or The Walking Dead, and gently caress that noise.

People expect to hear my erudite Book Reader's Critique, I have an obligation to tell people the show they like is actually stupid and really bad.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Well you liked the undead dragon thing? Let me tell you what, I read a book, and you're wrong.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Martian posted:

At least the first seasons, they could still suck.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

People expect to hear my erudite Book Reader's Critique, I have an obligation to tell people the show they like is actually stupid and really bad.

I take a guilty pleasure in bashing the books whenever a show watcher asks for my opinion on them. Sure they're better than the TV show for the most part but gently caress letting friends or coworkers give more money to the Absolute Fucker.

Sassy Sasquatch fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 14, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So long as one of the spin offs is a murder mystery show about solving crimes in Flea Bottom and focusing on the rising star of what ever that guys name is that was a Legend of Gin Alley, then I'm game.

of thrones!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I’d rather have a Discworld Night Watch series with an actual budget.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

If the spoilers are even close to accurate then the most entertaining thing will be watching non-book readers turn on the show or engage in some spectacular mental gymnastics to not turn on the show.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TK-42-1 posted:

I’d rather have a Discworld Night Watch series with an actual budget.

That could be awesome with the right writers.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Wait, what are the spoilers? Did I miss them in here somewhere? Is the book out?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Dangerllama posted:

Wait, what are the spoilers? Did I miss them in here somewhere? Is the book out?

the new wild cards book comes out in june

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A giant steps on more people

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dangerllama posted:

There was an “outline” of the last 2 TV seasons posted right around the start of season 7 or whatever the last one was. It mostly lined up with what was shown but it read more as a filming summary than straight plot synopsis. It was pretty close to what was released but the stuff for the last season had A LOT of gaps since again, it reads more of a summary of filming scripts so you get some real dumb poo poo that is obviously wrong like major beats happening off screen and big things happening earlier having no repercussions or being referenced at all.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Basically the North fights the ice guys and win. Night King dies by Jonny Snow. Everyone then heads to fight Cersei and Euron. Dany dies in childbirth. Euron literally smears her with poo poo and hangs her from the walls of KL. Everyone fights elephants. Arya kills Cersei. Hound kills The Mountain. Jaime, Snow, Hound die fighting Euron (who also dies) when Drogon sets a bunch of dragon fire and it explodes a bunch of the city....again.

Oh and Gendry/Brienne die fighting the ice guys. Brienne tells Jaime she loves him. Sansa marries Gendry. Jon and Dany's kid become queen and Tyrion marries the brown girl with nice boobs and rules as regent. Bronn gets a castle.

Think I got most of it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
My initial reaction was no, that's too stupid. But then I looked deep into my heart. And despaired.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Some of the main character deaths seem really really stupid too but not stupid enough that I don't believe the spoilers are plausible.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

counterfeitsaint posted:

My initial reaction was no, that's too stupid. But then I looked deep into my heart. And despaired.

Anything is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Basically the North fights the ice guys and win. Night King dies by Jonny Snow. Everyone then heads to fight Cersei and Euron. Dany dies in childbirth. Euron literally smears her with poo poo and hangs her from the walls of KL. Everyone fights elephants. Arya kills Cersei. Hound kills The Mountain. Jaime, Snow, Hound die fighting Euron (who also dies) when Drogon sets a bunch of dragon fire and it explodes a bunch of the city....again.

Oh and Gendry/Brienne die fighting the ice guys. Brienne tells Jaime she loves him. Sansa marries Gendry. Jon and Dany's kid become queen and Tyrion marries the brown girl with nice boobs and rules as regent. Bronn gets a castle.

Think I got most of it.

That outline is almost certainly false. It first appeared before season 7 was even done. Nobody who would leak them would have accurate season 8 spoilers that early.