Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

idk if it needs to "officially" be recommended but the punch out 2 games one controller run was awesome

and I really liked the mega man relay even though it wasn't necessarily close :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

IcePhoenix posted:

idk if it needs to "officially" be recommended but the punch out 2 games one controller run was awesome

and I really liked the mega man relay even though it wasn't necessarily close :shobon:

Just pretend MM2 is the end of the race

because it was

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I was talking to one of my friends and she reminded me, wasn't there a plan to switch to MSF instead of the PCF at one point?

PCF is fine and all, but I'd rather donate to an international charity than a local one for a country I don't live in.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
I would just wait to donate for SGDQ, which does collect for MSF.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

So what happened during Skyrim, is that game just that big or something?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

So what happened during Skyrim, is that game just that big or something?

It was one of the best runs of the event for sure.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Cuntellectual posted:

I was talking to one of my friends and she reminded me, wasn't there a plan to switch to MSF instead of the PCF at one point?

PCF is fine and all, but I'd rather donate to an international charity than a local one for a country I don't live in.

MSF is the charity for SGDQ, and PCF is absolutely an international charity at this point, check out their site to see what kind of work they do, a lot of it is focused on developing countries.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Cuntellectual posted:

After feedback about PCF, GDQ were in talks with other charities. However, MSF was not considered an option for AGDQ, since they already do MSF for SGDQ and don't want to have both events for the same charity. But none of the other charities contacted really ended up viable, so they stuck with PCF.

Specifics here.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Every time this annoying couch commentator calls mortars "more-tars" I grind my teeth a little

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The Diablo run is very, very pro-watch

Mass Effect as well.

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

Warcraft 3 was surprisingly good for a RTS run.
Seconding Diablo, great run.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Every time this annoying couch commentator calls mortars "more-tars" I grind my teeth a little

Poo on you for hating on Covertmuffin

I will back the Diablo run up, if some run was fun, this was it. The commentary and back-and-forth between Funkmaster and Covertmuffin was brilliant, and the runner was so happy to get donations

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I just had an idea for this thread

I think next time it might be a good idea to rebrand it something like the GDQ Discussion/Recommendations Thread.

I do not think it'll hurt or curtail any of the natural discussion that goes on here (which is def a good thing++) and it would prob keep people from asking what's a good run to check out so often.

I notice most people come to this thread mostly share or ask what good runs were worth checking out after some time away sleeping/working/etc and to just have that be in the title I think would streamline the discussion and get more people talking about *why* they liked the run that they liked. I think it would bring more eyes to the event too. We're all chatty mofos and it wouldn't turn into just a list thread, which is what I don't think anyone wants.

Anyway what do you think? Was just sorta kickin that idea around in my head as I lay in bed smoking a cigarette to come down from that loving Diablo 1 run.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

beep by grandpa posted:

I think next time it might be a good idea to rebrand it something like the GDQ Discussion/Recommendations Thread.

I do not think it'll hurt or curtail any of the natural discussion that goes on here (which is def a good thing++) and it would prob keep people from asking what's a good run to check out so often.

I notice most people come to this thread mostly share or ask what good runs were worth checking out after some time away sleeping/working/etc and to just have that be in the title I think would streamline the discussion and get more people talking about *why* they liked the run that they liked. I think it would bring more eyes to the event too. We're all chatty mofos and it wouldn't turn into just a list thread, which is what I don't think anyone wants.

Anyway what do you think? Was just sorta kickin that idea around in my head as I lay in bed smoking a cigarette to come down from that loving Diablo 1 run.

I like that idea. Someone said in the Chat Thread that, using a sports analogy, this is like the News/Views thread and the Chat Thread is like the GDT

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

beep by grandpa posted:

That's what this thread already is. At least what the intention has always been while there's been two threads.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
If you've ever played Baldur's Gate 2, that run is incredible, strong candidate for run of the marathon for me. If you haven't it will be totally incomprehensible.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Everyone that recommended the Dragon Warrior run is spot on. That was absolutely amazing. I’d love to see his notes on the game.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Dark Souls 3 run is a huge recommend, much better than last year's.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

axeil posted:

Dark Souls 3 run is a huge recommend, much better than last year's.

Yeah there's a rough spot at the start with a hard skip but the runner gets by it fast enough to save time still, and beyond that it's very smooth sailing.

Plus the blindfolded bosses are legendary.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Zore posted:

Some have in the past. They just use the time to fix the schedule, like right now they're running 3 or so hours behind. If a setup block didn't get met they'd just make up an hour there and get closer to the original schedule.

We've never not met a full game incentive, but if we're far enough behind we never open it and just remove it from the schedule (sometimes to come back later if we manage to pull ahead, see the Portal (2?) bonus run at the end of SGDQ2017).

Also:

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
Bloodborne run is very good so far. Runner is very entertaining

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

That's what this thread already is. At least what the intention has always been while there's been two threads.

Yep, that's how I've pretty much viewed it. You can chat about anything you want in here too, but mostly I've been using it to recommend runs. It's also good for stuff like that gang tag instructions and various questions that get drowned fast in the chat thread.

But obviously you can post pics and memes here too. There's been LOADS of great picture edits this AGDQ, I hope someone can collect them all.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

My live viewing of AGDQ 2018 ends sometime during FFIV unless the finale will end earlier than scheduled. It's been a great live posting week and the event has been awesome. I have not had a chance to watch and VODs so far, which is due to work but also the fact that this event has been really hecking solid throughout. Really few totally dud runs, and some of the best moments I've ever seen in a GDQ.

Be sure to put up your recommendations if you haven't. I'll make my final list later on Sunday.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

TeaJay posted:

But obviously you can post pics and memes here too. There's been LOADS of great picture edits this AGDQ, I hope someone can collect them all.
I've always wanted to collect fanart and stuff in the second post along with the recommendations but people are bad at posting them in this thread.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Bloodborne run was fantastic. Great run, great runner, great banter between runner and donation reader.

moeljbcp
Dec 6, 2004

In case of fire, call a plumber
Fun Shoe
I second Bloodborne being very good. Haven't even played Bloodborne and am not a huge fan of the Souls games, but that run was very, very good and fun to watch.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is there a VOD for it yet?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cuntellectual posted:

Is there a VOD for it yet?

Just go back on the stream like 3 hrs

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Diablo - Bloodborne

The Diablo run looks great, I didn't get to catch it live but the runner is so energetic :3:. The run starts off slow with a bunch of setup yet the runner and couch are keeping it interesting.

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

IcePhoenix posted:

I saw both of those and they were hella fun. Sadly, the Ocarina speedrun was too long for me to enjoy. Four hours is a bit much after watching 4 hours of other things :)

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
speedfriends shitposting discord: https://discord.gg/qq9VAaN

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Hi I have been busy the last few hours and haven't seen much of the last 6 hours

what the gently caress happened to the donations it's like 600k higher

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

something posted:

Hi I have been busy the last few hours and haven't seen much of the last 6 hours

what the gently caress happened to the donations it's like 600k higher
Anime prize went open for bids during Dark Souls 3

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

iPodschun posted:

Anime prize went open for bids during Dark Souls 3

Bandai Namco has been really support of these event in the past few years. They have been offering huge prizes during runs of their games.

Last years prize set was loving nuts. I still want that jacket.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

was I the only one who was not impressed by the punchout super punchout? I was expecting a lot more playing at same time but it was essentially pause one play the other.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Guess it's late enough to post my list of recommendations. A small caveat: I don't play many games, and as such with very few exceptions (mainly Pokémon), these are all coming from how fun I found the run as someone not already familiar with the game, which is also the reason my list is missing many of the big-name franchise game runs. That said, most of my recommendations were well-received in the chat thread so overall I'm confident in them. In chronological order:

The absolute best, essential viewing:

Skyrim
El Matador
Dragon Warrior
Superman 64
Arabian Nights (best run of the marathon)
Enviro-Bear 2000
Dog's Life
Densha de D
Princess Rescue

Other really good runs:

Ratchet & Clank
Contra
Magical Pop'n
Wario's Woods
Burnout Paradise
Serious Sam 3: BFE
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Resident Evil 7
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Silent Hill
Disney's Toy Story
Batman: The Video Game
Both Battletoads games
Strider
Earnest Evans
Titenic
Athena
Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Cloudbuilt
Cat Quest
Super Monkey Ball
Pokémon B/W2
Punch-Out
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
Tintin in Tibet
Warcraft 3
Diablo
Baldur's Gate 2
Dark Souls 3
Bloodborne
Final Fantasy IV

And finally, the "probably don't watch these runs even if you're interested in the games, they were pretty bad" list:

inFAMOUS First Light
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Secret of Evermore

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

was I the only one who was not impressed by the punchout super punchout? I was expecting a lot more playing at same time but it was essentially pause one play the other.

No, I feel the same way. It was an impressive bit of time management, but I was left underwhelmed.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I really need to go back and watch Densha De D. Guy who did it always pulls out some stupid poo poo for his runs and is great to hang out at these events.

missed it because it was at rear end o clock

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There were a lot of complaints about the LttP Randomizer race. While a one-vs.-one race isn't the best way to explain how something works, the announcers made it worse. It felt like they assumed people knew about how things work already, but there's a lot to know that you can't really get without watching enough runs.

I think this video does a decent job of explaining things, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAZJ4lC_qP0

I hope that LttP randomizer isn't booted from the schedule for future GDQs, but they shouldn't race it next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

get that OUT of my face posted:

I hope that LttP randomizer isn't booted from the schedule for future GDQs, but they shouldn't race it next time.

Yeah it 100% needs to be retooled but there's plenty of value there to keep it in. I want to see how the donation rates looked during the run.

I'm sure there will be lots of negative feedback but hopefully they're not idiots, there are some smart people in gdq management so hopefully they take care of things.

• Locked thread