Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

DARLING in the FRANXX is studio Trigger's first entry into the mecha genre. Since many of the people at Trigger were responsible for beloved mecha classic Gurren Lagann some weird sex metaphor by A-1 pictures, with some animation and design by Trigger. I am pretty stoked

anime news network plot summary posted:

In the distant future the land is ruined and humanity establishes the mobile fort city Plantation. Pilots produced inside Plantation live in Mistilteinn, also know as the "birdcage." Children live there knowing nothing of the outside world or the freedom of the sky. Their lives consist of battling to carry out missions. Their enemies are mysterious giant lifeforms known as Kyōryū, and the children pilot robots called Franxx to face off against them. For the children, riding the Franxx proves their existence. A boy named Hiro is called Code:016, and he was once known as a prodigy. However, he has fallen behind, and his existence seems unnecessary. Not piloting a Franxx is the same as ceasing to exist. One day, a mysterious girl known as "Zero Two" appears before him. Two horns grow out of her head.

I believe in Trigger!

Editor's note: I know Panty and Stocking & Gurren Lagann aren't really Trigger animes, but I feel like they count for the poll.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you forgot their good anime you gently caress

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

The mechs have that odd organic shape thing going like Xam'd did, not really a fan of that, but everything else looks neat. Zero Two's daaaaarling plus the horns just makes me think of Lum.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Davincie posted:

inferno cop needs no poll

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Eela6 posted:

inferno cop needs no poll

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Daedalus1134 posted:

The mechs have that odd organic shape thing going like Xam'd did, not really a fan of that, but everything else looks neat. Zero Two's daaaaarling plus the horns just makes me think of Lum.

The obvious similarity is to Star Driver for me. Same designer iirc.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this anime isn't gay enough

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

skasion posted:

The obvious similarity is to Star Driver for me. Same designer iirc.

Hadn't seen that but looking it up, yeah, totally.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

dogsicle posted:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Darling in the FRANXX: It's a sex metaphor

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

This show is awesome tbh. Eva + Star Driver + Aim for the Top + heterosexuals.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I hope every monster looks as adorable as the klaxosaur.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

dogsicle posted:

its my straight pick of the season

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Crain posted:

Darling in the FRANXX: It's a sex metaphor

So it's FLCL

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Allarion posted:

So it's FLCL

But with flowers instead of Rock and Roll.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
seems p good so far

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Honestly, the monster reminding me of the dog monster from FLCL was probably what made me think of comparing the two before the sex metaphors became explicit.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

dogsicle posted:

i was thinking what if they subvert it later like two dudes jump in a franxx and go gently caress the system

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Space Flower posted:

i was thinking what if they subvert it later like two dudes jump in a franxx and go gently caress the system

Literally?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Probably, the robots are women after all

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Space Flower posted:

hopefully some side characters do, this ep leaned really hard on the main pair so i think they'll stick it out

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Daedalus1134 posted:

Darling in the FRANXX: I'm attracted to robot rear end

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Davincie posted:

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

All the mechs look like Taubarn's basic af straight cousins

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wish it goes well and has a happy ending. Unlike Devilman.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

Darling in the FRANXX: I'm attracted to robot rear end

Look, after 2017, that's like saying "I take in oxygen." It's the assumed default.

So far, so good with this one. Hope it keeps up.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

That was almost impressively dumb af.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Main character looks super generic. First episode gave me a whole lot of different vibes from other giant robot shows (A weird combination of things like Gunbuster, Valvrave and Star Driver) while not being as bombastic as the later two but still less grounded than the first one. Not gay enough and not insane enough to make the absurdity of it funny while still being too stupid to be taken seriously.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

while still being too stupid to be taken seriously.

What, you don't like the giant tank-sphere taxis that offer zero protection to the wildlife?

Edit: They didn't even acknowledge the protagonist's old partner being smashed in that ball.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

What, you don't like the giant tank-sphere taxis that offer zero protection to the wildlife?

Edit: They didn't even acknowledge the protagonist's old partner being smashed in that ball.

I'd be mildly surprised if it doesn't come up next episode, one way or another. Everyone was just a bit busy to discuss it at the moment.

(I mean, they still might not, it's hard to know exactly what a show gives a rat's rear end about from just one episode, but at least one moment of angst from something like that is pretty much the default.)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Hiro acknowledged it, but Naomi acted like leaving the main sphere was analagous to being forgotten or dead so it's no surprise no-one else acknowledged her death. None of them even came out to see her off, so it's likely the rest view her as gone regardless.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

tsob posted:

Hiro acknowledged it, but Naomi acted like leaving the main sphere was analagous to being forgotten or dead so it's no surprise no-one else acknowledged her death. None of them even came out to see her off, so it's likely the rest view her as gone regardless.

It's just jarring because there's a lot of exposition involving her as well as a mini-monologue on the waiting platform. Hiro screams her name once and then immediately starts talking about the klaxosaur like her death was no big deal.

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd be mildly surprised if it doesn't come up next episode, one way or another. Everyone was just a bit busy to discuss it at the moment.

Considering it's an off-screen death, I wouldn't be surprised if they bring her back somehow.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Well its sort of like horned girls old partner, he also sort of gets tossed to the side but at least he gets more of a reaction from the protagonist than his old heterosexual robot partner.

Also thinking about it the whole one winged bird thing reminds me of another giant robot thing. Xenogears.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remember that these kids are explicitly part of a martyr-cult where uselessness is worse than death - that big ceremony the klaxosaur interrupted spelled it out. It’s not a surprise that their attitude towards their comrades dying is a little strange.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
More of this might get explained and we might get a better idea of the picture next episode.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember that these kids are explicitly part of a martyr-cult where uselessness is worse than death - that big ceremony the klaxosaur interrupted spelled it out. It’s not a surprise that their attitude towards their comrades dying is a little strange.

He didn't just give that speech, but from the flicker it seems like a reasonable guess he was delivering that same speech to a bunch of graduating classes at once by holoconference. Orphans basically exist to die for humanity.

It also seems like our main cast is some of the more normally socialized pilots, at least at the moment. Hiro actually notices death (pausing for both 02's last partner and the bird that ran into the window), and he's mentioned to have given at least one of his classmates her name, something that distinguishes them from Zero Two. (Or 0 Ni, which is not the worst pun I've seen this year.) Presumably, that'll be table setting for later rebellion.

The second part is why I'm assuming we'll get at least a moment with Hiro reacting next episode, emphasizing him as an oddball and showing more of the death cult nature of this whole job.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Also this series is slated to be 24 episodes long, so I hope it doesn't go the Meteora/Guilty Crown route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Heck yes this show is just like Kill la Kill, which is to say it's doritos and bad for me and I am going to watch all 24 episodes of it and ask for more! :D

I love that first monster design, I hope the rest are just as good.

• Locked thread