Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Has anyone here tried a Corsair K63 keyboard? They just announced a wireless version which I am considering purchasing.

See it here: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/k63-wireless-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-blue-led-cherry-mx-red-eu

Reading the description I can't tell if it has linear keys or tactile keys. It says "Cherry MX", but should I expect it to specify if they're tactile or not? I prefer tactile keys.

Sorry if the answer is obvious, I have no experience shopping for mechanical keyboards. I stumbled into using one over the holidays and liked it so much that now I want to join the club.

(And if anyone has suggestions for other wireless mechanical backlit keyboards, I'm all ears.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Aww yeah just ordered the WASD with numpad and browns after mistakenly thinking my lovely wireless keyboard was dying. I think it'll be great for roguelikes etc but I'd love to try clears someday. Maybe I'll get a numpad with clears for my laptop if anyone sells one.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
If I've got a a keyboard that I'm not really using at all anymore (a 104 key WASD Code w/ Clears) is there a particular place to go in terms of finding a good secondary market for selling this thing?

Or should I just directly go to trying my luck on eBay?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
There's always SAMart, or /r/mechmarket

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Has anyone here tried a Corsair K63 keyboard? They just announced a wireless version which I am considering purchasing.

See it here: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/k63-wireless-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-blue-led-cherry-mx-red-eu

Reading the description I can't tell if it has linear keys or tactile keys. It says "Cherry MX", but should I expect it to specify if they're tactile or not? I prefer tactile keys.

Sorry if the answer is obvious, I have no experience shopping for mechanical keyboards. I stumbled into using one over the holidays and liked it so much that now I want to join the club.

(And if anyone has suggestions for other wireless mechanical backlit keyboards, I'm all ears.)

The keyboard you linked says "Cherry MX Red", which is a linear (non-tactile) switch. For tactile, look for Cherry MX Brown (or Clear, but I'm not sure Corsair makes any keyboard with those switches).

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

The URL you posted says "cherry-mx-red" so probably they are reds, which are the lightest linear switch and not Tactile. The tactiles are brown (light), clear(heavier), and grey (even heavier). Most gaming branded keyboards seem to use reds.

mewse
May 2, 2006

mewse posted:

I just ordered a redragon vara full size unlit, planning on desoldering the blue switches and installing gateron silent browns to use as a work keeb

I done it. Desoldering/resoldering were easier than I was expecting, just tedious.

The "built like a tank" in redragon's ad copy means an aluminum plate. Granted its a folded on the top and bottom edges so it's maybe a little more heavy duty than the alu plate from a DIY kit.. but it's just an aluminum plate in a plastic case.

There's some photos of the PCB over here that I didn't see before opening mine up. Was very easy to disassemble, about 10-12 screws after removing keycaps and the pcb/plate assembly falls out. Uses plate mount switches so I had the chop the legs off all my new gaterons.

The unlit version's pcb doesn't have the holes/contacts for LEDs. I thought they might re-use the lit board and just not populate it. The n-key rollover works. Nice non-detachable usb cable with a ferrite and gold plated connector.

Anyone want my 104 desoldered outemu blues?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Is there a word for one vs two-row enter keys? Two-row seems common here (Scandinavia) but when I'm looking at the pics in the OP it's mostly one-row.

I've spent pretty much the last ten or fifteen years on low-profile keyboards with pretty much all-or-nothing travel (the key hardly moves at all until you apply just enough pressure and then it immediately loses all resistance and bottoms out). Problem is, keyboards of this type tend to be pretty cheapo affairs and my current one is aging. I like short travel and tactile feedback, is there something higher quality like that? I get along with the newer Macbook Pro keyboards with super-short travel too, if that tells you anything.

I was looking at the Havit 390L which seemed kinda interesting but the Kailh switches are marked as Nope Zone in the OP.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 13, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheFluff posted:

Is there a word for one vs two-row enter keys? Two-row seems common here (Scandinavia) but when I'm looking at the pics in the OP it's mostly one-row.

I've spent pretty much the last ten or fifteen years on low-profile keyboards with pretty much all-or-nothing travel (the key hardly moves at all until you apply just enough pressure and then it immediately loses all resistance and bottoms out). Problem is, keyboards of this type tend to be pretty cheapo affairs and my current one is aging. I like short travel and tactile feedback, is there something higher quality like that? I get along with the newer Macbook Pro keyboards with super-short travel too, if that tells you anything.

ANSI denotes one row and ISO denotes two row. You might be looking for nordic layout tho.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

TheFluff posted:

ANSI enter is the one-row, two row can mean a lot of things https://deskthority.net/wiki/Return_key

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

mewse posted:

ANSI denotes one row and ISO denotes two row. You might be looking for nordic layout tho.

emdash posted:

ANSI enter is the one-row, two row can mean a lot of things https://deskthority.net/wiki/Return_key

Thanks! Nordic vs US layout on the keycaps is whatever, doesn't matter, I switch between the two all the time. The Swedish layout has awful placement of a bunch of special characters that are commonly used in programming and I do programming for a living so I mostly use the US layout and only switch to the Swedish one when I'm writing in Swedish (to get access to our special snowflake letters). That does mean though that I'm used to the US layout, but as it appears on a keyboard with Nordic key placement, which is kinda awkward.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Does anyone make a decent translucent or clear keycap set?
I'm entertaining the idea of putting some on my GMMK. I think my biggest aversion is the shadows and uneven lighting of the keycaps caused by the stem and position of the lights.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

G-Prime posted:

There's always SAMart, or /r/mechmarket

Ah interesting, thanks. I don't think I can use mechmarket yet for lack of a prior history on reddit but will certainly keep that in mind going forward.

mewse
May 2, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Does anyone make a decent translucent or clear keycap set?
I'm entertaining the idea of putting some on my GMMK. I think my biggest aversion is the shadows and uneven lighting of the keycaps caused by the stem and position of the lights.

I put these in white on my GMMK, and I love them but they lack legends.

I was also looking at these which should shine really nicely.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

TheFluff posted:

I was looking at the Havit 390L which seemed kinda interesting but the Kailh switches are marked as Nope Zone in the OP.

Kailh switches are actually quite good now. OP really needs to update that.

I have no experience with their new low-profile switches, but I do know a guy who's ordered a keyboard with those switches (I think it was that Havit). Will report back on his experience when I hear about it

eta: Also Cherry announced some low profile switches of their own at CES this year. Might be a while before keyboards hit the market though

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/12/cherrys-new-low-profile-switches-may-help-bring-mechanical-keyboards-to-more-laptops/

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 14, 2018

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

TheFluff posted:

Ignore everything about the switch clones in the OP (other than what they are), IMO.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 14, 2018

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
If you're looking for an expensive Win key-less TKL board, now is your chance

https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/products/gbkbdfans-8x-mechanical-keyboard-kit

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Nondescript Van posted:

I am so glad that is $225 or $270 or w/e because otherwise I'd be purchasing it and never using it like all my other non-ergo boards.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

mewse posted:

I put these in white on my GMMK, and I love them but they lack legends.

I was also looking at these which should shine really nicely.

Oh I like those. A lot. I'm not head-over-heels about the font, but it's not that bad.

...aaaaand now there's like 6 sets of keycaps in my cart. :(

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Anyone know a good mechanical numpad?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
A lot of people seem to swear by this Ducky one, though I haven't put hands on it personally. Bonus, it works as a calculator when you're not using it as a numpad.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
There is no such thing as a keyboard with backlight and nice fonts right?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

redeyes posted:

k-type font is tasteful i guess

mewse
May 2, 2006

redeyes posted:

I don't know why every backlit keyboard is sold with some lovely gamery font.

Even my ducky one had pbt keycaps that for some reason the legend was stencil-like. This drop on massdrop indicates they fixed the problem because they're calling their new backlit caps "seamless".

If you search "translucidus" on aliexpress you'll find keycap sets like these that have pretty nice legends. You can pick them out because they have "CapsLock" printed on the caps key.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
They did it that way because the way they're doing double-shot with the keycaps, it's just easier and more consistent to do it that way for fonts like O and D, etc. Glad they found a better way to do it, but hopefully they didn't make any compromises.

With that said, my main issue with backlit keycaps are that they're all OEM profile which is definitely my least favourite to type on. I've also pretty much gone away from RGB backlighting and prefer RGB underglow with opaque keycaps at this point.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Nondescript Van posted:

I know a lot of people are really into win-keyless. Is this simply a Linux thing or am I missing another reason one would want to lose an extra mod key?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Mostly just aesthetics. Vintage keyboards like the Model M didn't have it, so it looks cool I guess.

I game a lot and it's not really an issue, IMO. Some modern games don't throw you straight to desktop anymore when you press the Win key if it's in exclusive fullscreen. On the otherhand, the Win key is really useful for using a 2nd monitor on borderless windowed mode.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo this WASD CODE is a lot nicer than my garbo logitech wireless that bends like a taco whenever I type.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The windows key was new with Windows 95, so if you typed a lot or learned to game with mouse and keyboard without it, or with an older keyboard, you'd usually hit control and shift and with the side of your hand. When you're hitting control with the meaty bit of your hand below the pinky or the side of your hand it's easy to bump it. Back in the day you'd play a lot of games full screen since borderless windowed was not available (nor would you necessarily run more than one or two things with the memory available at the time). Hitting the windows key would immediately take you to the desktop while your machine thrashed and some games didn't gracefully handle task switching back into fullscreen. That's when I learned to hate the windows key.

That said, I have a CM Storm Quickfire that lets me disable it so I just do that now and it's no longer a big deal. If it was I'd just desolder the switch and 3d print a cover for the hole. I used a 101 key unicomp from 2001 to 2013 or so and only really switched away from buckling spring for n-key rollover and more fun aesthetics.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Rexxed posted:

The windows key was new with Windows 95, so if you typed a lot or learned to game with mouse and keyboard without it, or with an older keyboard, you'd usually hit control and shift and with the side of your hand. When you're hitting control with the meaty bit of your hand below the pinky or the side of your hand it's easy to bump it. Back in the day you'd play a lot of games full screen since borderless windowed was not available (nor would you necessarily run more than one or two things with the memory available at the time). Hitting the windows key would immediately take you to the desktop while your machine thrashed and some games didn't gracefully handle task switching back into fullscreen. That's when I learned to hate the windows key.

That said, I have a CM Storm Quickfire that lets me disable it so I just do that now and it's no longer a big deal. If it was I'd just desolder the switch and 3d print a cover for the hole. I used a 101 key unicomp from 2001 to 2013 or so and only really switched away from buckling spring for n-key rollover and more fun aesthetics.

About once a month I'll accidentally hit Win+Tab, and remember that it's a way prettier version of Alt-Tab. "I should use this all the time," I'll say to myself, before promptly forgetting about it until the next time.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Set up some macros (do it right in qmk if you use it) for multi desktop. Fn+arrow and away I do. Wanna move poo poo between desktops? Win+Tab.

In short, it's a hipster nerd thing, not a function thing. A lot of boards have a winlock option so the whole gaming thing isn't even an issue.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

shovelbum posted:

Holy poo poo this WASD CODE is a lot nicer than my garbo logitech wireless that bends like a taco whenever I type.

Put some thicc pbt on it now.

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

pr0zac posted:

I know a lot of people are really into win-keyless. Is this simply a Linux thing or am I missing another reason one would want to lose an extra mod key?

I remap windows to caps lock and use cases with blockers for a e s t h e t i c s

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D
I just found an old Dell AT101W (aka Bigfoot) with Alps black switches, which have a kinda weird tactile bump that I'm not a big fan of. The bump is longer than other tactile switches I've used, so it makes the key press feel kind of sloppy. I looked it up on youtube and you can easily pull the housing of the switches apart from the top of the board and modify the internals to suit your preference. You can take a spring out to make them linear, break tabs off that same spring to make them clicky, and bend the springs to change the force needed to press the key. Pretty sick.

So now I'm working on cleaning it and pulling the springs out to make them linear. Some people say the linear version of the Alps switches are much smoother than Cherry MX reds and blacks, so that's pretty cool, especially for a keyboard I just pulled out of a closet.

Only downsides for me: it's loving HUGE and it's 2-key rollover, so it's not practical to keep on my desk, but it'll be a fun project and I may use it for typing every once in a while.

They can be found all over the place for cheap (<$3 at most thrift stores) so if anyone wants to pick one up to mod as well here are the videos I used for reference:

Linear mod https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsJq434UYTA
Clickfoot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zdlx6VH1iU
Cleaning/adjusting actuation force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mhmb2kBuwQ

Pimped out Bigfoot (not mine(I wish it was))

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

TheFluff posted:

I just bought one, I'll let you know how it is.
I also bought the mouse Havit makes with a WORM SHAPED BIONIC DESIGN for $6 https://www.amazon.com/Ergonomic-Wireless-Vertical-Adjustable-HV-MS55GT/dp/B01MG8W2U9/ :pusheen:

shovelbum posted:

Yeah I love mine, it's still going strong after 3 years, I just put o-rings on it and it's a really nice change.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

shovelbum posted:

The code with clears is pinnacle office keyboard. It's quiet, clean looking, and blends right in to the office environment (no crazy RGB LEDs or flashy keycaps.)
So good.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Romulux posted:

I just bought one, I'll let you know how it is.
I also bought the mouse Havit makes with a WORM SHAPED BIONIC DESIGN for $6 https://www.amazon.com/Ergonomic-Wireless-Vertical-Adjustable-HV-MS55GT/dp/B01MG8W2U9/ :pusheen:

Cool, thanks - any impressions or thoughts would be interesting. Looks like it’s not really available in Europe yet though.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
/dev/tty keycaps finally shipping, they look cool

https://matt3o.com/dev-tty-keycaps-in-all-their-glory/

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Visidan posted:

Those look great! I love the plain white and grey.

I'm getting my Godspeed 40s set in on Monday and I can't wait to try it out on my Core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Visidan posted:

I’m getting these, just got the shipping notice. Really psyched after waiting this long. Amusingly, the kb I’m putting them on is a Whitefox from the Kickstarter, so I’ll have to wait even longer for that. :D I might put them on my Poker II while I wait, though.