Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ajkalan posted:

I just wish Jin didn't look, speak, and act like a Sonic the Hedgehog villain.

What sonic games are you playing?

Jin is FF as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Okay, I guess I haven't played a Sonic or FF game in a while, that's probably a poor descriptor of the guy.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I don't actually play Sonic games either but far as I can tell Sonic villains come in two flavors, "Eggman" and "basically Lavos"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Xarbala posted:

I don't actually play Sonic games either but far as I can tell Sonic villains come in two flavors, "Eggman" and "basically Lavos"

Sometimes Evil sonic controlled by Eggman but yeah.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

You're going well beyond the scope of what I was talking about. The story overall has some problems, but Jin's exposition specifically in that section is literally just Blades can't write or maintain an oral history, therefore humans must die.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I've felt pretty alright about the blade gacha and I've had reasonable luck with it, but I just cracked open about 150 cores, most of them rare, and got absolutely nothing to show for it, not even a 4-star. And it's not like I'm down to the last scraps here, I'm still missing a whole eight rares. Rolling one or two of those shouldn't be this hard! I must've offended the game by being so amicable towards the gacha.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Amppelix posted:

I've felt pretty alright about the blade gacha and I've had reasonable luck with it, but I just cracked open about 150 cores, most of them rare, and got absolutely nothing to show for it, not even a 4-star. And it's not like I'm down to the last scraps here, I'm still missing a whole eight rares. Rolling one or two of those shouldn't be this hard! I must've offended the game by being so amicable towards the gacha.

Yeah no it's hot garbage, not everybody has Chuckhammer's insane luck

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Xarbala posted:

Yeah no it's hot garbage, not everybody has Chuckhammer's insane luck

Boosters man, don't use em!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Boosters man, don't use em!

I'm gonna use them just to get them out of my inventory because otherwise that's like four extra inputs on spamming the cores

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I'm glad to find I still want to play XB2 this morning. Now that I'm done with the story I think I'm mostly going to be playing it on handheld from here on out. Until I get to the super bosses at least.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Hey, you know what's really cool, that tiny bit of distorted electric guitar that comes in under the middle of Alba Cavanich's day theme.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Amppelix posted:

I'm gonna use them just to get them out of my inventory because otherwise that's like four extra inputs on spamming the cores

Just sell them. And then go play a different game because this game kinda sucks.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Just sell them. And then go play a different game because this game kinda sucks.

Actually the game is good

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Amppelix posted:

Actually the game is good

Very good

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

So I tried fighting the Relentless Arduan after completing his feeding quest, and he one shot me. I was able to defeat the level 110 Cloud Sea King Ken (though it took a while), but apparently this guy has a strong single shot attack. Even if I successfully blocked against it with Tora, I have no idea how to keep my party from getting hit. Maybe you just have to be level 99 and have the higher hp/defense? I feel like I could handle the fight if I could survive that one attack, since one heal from Rex would get me back to full.

The Arduran is weird. I had killed the level 130 superboss and he was still one-shotting me with the busted-rear end "cone" attack, which yeah is water based so it wrecks default Poppi. I also found the last couple of levels weird, I was getting one-shot at level 91 but then I beat him once and shot up to 93 and then immediately fought him again and did the whole fight on auto-pilot where he barely got to do anything we were driver comboing him so hard.

On the subject of the game's story, there's a lot of plot fumbles. Like, if Bridgid is able to go do stuff while Morag is somewhere else, yeah, what's stopping Blades who want to break the master/slave cycle just saying "yeah see you later" and leaving if they want? Even Theory turns against her driver for being a bad guy and so she can be with Praxis again. It's got the same problem as Pokemon Black/White, where the bad guys think Blades shouldn't be people's slaves, but in reality 99% of blades are friends and are happy with the relationship between blade and driver and it's the bad guys who are actually using blades as tools.

The game doesn't do a good job of painting the world in turmoil - it spends a lot of time lingering on the war over land and the arms race, and then claims blades are tools of war, but almost all fighting between nations in the game is done with airships and not blades. Meanwhile, any time you fight anyone who is actually misusing Blades, like the bandits who raze a village or the core crystal hunters, the blades are either completely silent or end up or end up being good guys anyways like mentioned earlier. Hell, the whole Praxis/Theory plotline goes against one of the core concepts of the story that blades personalities are influenced by their drivers, where Malos only wants to kill all humans because of Amalthus, but apparently Theory is strong enough to resist the bad influence and turns on the bandits. We only meet one blade in the whole game who learns they were a bad person in a previous life, and it's not even a story blade, which seems like a real missed narrative opportunity. We also never see any blades who we become friends with get taken by a bad guy and then become bad. Because of this, Jin's whole "humans are abusing blades" thing never really feels like it's even remotely true, and if the game spent as much time trying to show us humans actually abusing blades as it did trying to show us sepia cutscenes or Torna members being sad, their motivations would have been a lot more understandable.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ My impression is that blades are given some sort of strong impulse to go along with the wills of their drivers. Like, it took a whole lot to get Theory to go against her driver, and she basically needed the competing interest of her sister-esque blade to motivate her to do so. So while they can be separated from the driver, they wouldn't ever want to go against their driver's will unless there were some extreme circumstances involved. I do completely agree about there being a bunch of unused opportunities to take advantage of the "blades have past lives they can't remember" plot point.

I think Relentless Arduan just isn't doable at level ~82. It's not related to having a fire blade equipped, and it seems like you don't even have to be in front of him for it to hit you, since Five was behind him and Rex was next to me in front of him (because he had come over to rez me) and he killed all 3 of us in one hit.

What's the best way to grind XP up? I tried killing some spiders in Gormott, and that seems like it would take a really long time. Even if you get an overkill with a chain attack the big spiders only give like 7000 XP (and the spiders give a paltry ~400 xp otherwise), and it takes tens of thousands to level up. I'm starting to think that, even though it took a long time, fighting Cloud Sea King Ken would be better just because he gives 99999 xp.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 13, 2018

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Ytlaya posted:

What's the best way to grind XP up? I tried killing some spiders in Gormott, and that seems like it would take a really long time. Even if you get an overkill with a chain attack the big spiders only give like 7000 XP (and the spiders give a paltry ~400 xp otherwise), and it takes tens of thousands to level up. I'm starting to think that, even though it took a long time, fighting Cloud Sea King Ken would be better just because he gives 99999 xp.

Fight the regular dinosaurs in the western part of the central plain in Temperantia and overkill them with chain attacks. Do not fight the named one on the southeastern side.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ My impression is that blades are given some sort of strong impulse to go along with the wills of their drivers. Like, it took a whole lot to get Theory to go against her driver, and she basically needed the competing interest of her sister-esque blade to motivate her to do so. So while they can be separated from the driver, they wouldn't ever want to go against their driver's will unless there were some extreme circumstances involved. I do completely agree about there being a bunch of unused opportunities to take advantage of the "blades have past lives they can't remember" plot point.

I think Relentless Arduan just isn't doable at level ~82. It's not related to having a fire blade equipped, and it seems like you don't even have to be in front of him for it to hit you, since Five was behind him and Rex was next to me in front of him (because he had come over to rez me) and he killed all 3 of us in one hit.

Somebody soloed it at 77 with poppi because poppi it's actually stupid. Otherwise kill the the dinosaurs in Temperantia.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
What blade learns they were bad in a previous life?

Did anyone else get a really weird feeling about (#4's second bstory blade h2h discussion) Aegeon being forbidden from reading up about his history? From an ostensibly "good" character? It had a pretty damning parallel to slaves not being allowed to record their own family history in writing.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I just got a common core.

Do I want to use it straight away or hold on to it?

Also what do boosters do and how do I get them?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

I just got a common core.

Do I want to use it straight away or hold on to it?

Use it straight away, you'll be swimming in them soon enough. Use them until you get an axe on Rex.

No one knows conclusively. The game says they influence elemental outcome but we really don't know.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Does the game say that? I just thought this one website did, and that the rumor spread that way. My guess was always that people just saw the elements surrounding the core when you used a booster and assumed it increased chances of getting blades of those elements.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Somebody soloed it at 77 with poppi because poppi it's actually stupid. Otherwise kill the the dinosaurs in Temperantia.

I imagine I could probably solo it with Poppi alpha, due to her ridiculous blocking (with Ultimate Shield equipped), but that would be extremely tedious.

Thanks to you and the other poster who mentioned the dinosaurs. They're really effective; they die fast and give me about 75k exp with overkill (which only requires a couple combos).

Natural 20 posted:

Boosters increase their respective idea levels, and it's all-but-confirmed that idea levels influence the star rating of commons (blades you get from cores are either 1-4* commons or 5* rares, which are the ones with unique designs).

They may or may not have an impact on chance of getting unique rares or blades of the elements they're associated with. If they do have an impact, it's not a big one.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 13, 2018

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ Does the game say that? I just thought this one website did, and that the rumor spread that way. My guess was always that people just saw the elements surrounding the core when you used a booster and assumed it increased chances of getting blades of those elements.

I believe it says it in one of the tutorials. Other than that it is communicated by one of the nopon NPCs in Argentum that is always going on about how dreamy drivers are.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What's "Rank S2" trust? A couple rare blades I maxed the affinity grids for randomly got this. I thought Rank S was when you filled out the whole grid, so what is this rank beyond that about?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Ytlaya posted:

What's "Rank S2" trust? A couple rare blades I maxed the affinity grids for randomly got this. I thought Rank S was when you filled out the whole grid, so what is this rank beyond that about?

More bonuses. S+, etc.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

I beat the final boss, ending movie was choppy as gently caress and then the game crashed.

Now to redo the final, long rear end battle.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

PJOmega posted:

What blade learns they were bad in a previous life?

Percival is who I assume they're talking about

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tae posted:

More bonuses. S+, etc.

What bonuses? Their trust is already full, so what do you gain from it? Idea levels?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

voltcatfish posted:

Percival is who I assume they're talking about

Also Praxis and Theory

Ytlaya posted:

What bonuses? Their trust is already full, so what do you gain from it? Idea levels?

When a blade's trust goes up it increases their damage, if you hadn't noticed.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 14, 2018

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Ytlaya posted:

Extra base damage. Roughly 5% per extra level up to S10 (S+).

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Is there any reason to collect common blades?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, you need them for merc missions and for elemental skills since 90% of rare blades lack them.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Reality Loser posted:

Is there any reason to collect common blades?

merc missions, skills for field tests, and if you get real lucky you can get some skill combinations that are ridiculously good. Plus common blades can get some skills that rare blades will never have, like orb master (which adds an extra elemental orb if they take part in the blade combo)

I finally finished the main story. I hope the DLC lets you play after the ending but I think they already said they aren't doing that. Does anyone else assume that the land that everything was going to was the hidden Leftherian titan?

THE loving MOON posted:

I just cleared the final chapter, I thought the ending was a satisfying wrap up, I mean yeah it's super cliche but it made me smile sooo

:same: The last game I put this much time into was ME3 and I'm glad that the main character can just go home with his waifu(s) and have everyone live happily ever after

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 14, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Welp decided to limp on through the msq now, and got to the part where Jin takes off his mask. And all I could think of was how tired and sad he looked. So good job game.

Guess things are picking up.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’ve opened 200+ legendary and still don’t have last 2 drops. Boosting luck and using boosters hasn’t seemed to help.

I didn’t mind the core system until now. I’ve grinded for hours and hours and nothing. They really should have added a “you get a blade guaranteed after a certain amount of tries” mechanic.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So Perun is the one blade they cranked up the jiggle physics slider all the way to max, huh
Like I don’t think even Dahlia is as bad as her. It’s ridiculous

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also where’s the Royal Guard Barracks for Praxis’s quest

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Calaveron posted:

Also where’s the Royal Guard Barracks for Praxis’s quest

Uraya, I think down the stairs to the east of the giant staircase. I think, at least.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Calaveron posted:

So Perun is the one blade they cranked up the jiggle physics slider all the way to max, huh
Like I don’t think even Dahlia is as bad as her. It’s ridiculous

She was designed by Takahiro Kimura who's known for this sort of thing, and I figure the animators here thought it'd be funny to give his Blade the same qualities as the rest of his work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Theory on whom would be good