Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
So, with that said, should we invest in nursing homes to make a situation worse?

https://www.payingforseniorcare.com/longtermcare/paying-for-nursing-homes.html

I mean all the boomers are getting up their and their children hate them so much because of the "gently caress you got mine attitude".

On the other hand you'll lose the meager inheritance.

decisions decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

lol if you're a boomer and you haven't realised your body's going in a loving ditch

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

There's a dude who worked out that living on a cruise ship costs about the same as a good retirement joint so he just rents a small room in Miami for the weekend he's back before getting back on for another 2 weeks.

Dudes probably got new stds weve never even seen before from banging octogenarians from all over .

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Noblesse Obliged posted:

There's a dude who worked out that living on a cruise ship costs about the same as a good retirement joint so he just rents a small room in Miami for the weekend he's back before getting back on for another 2 weeks.

Dudes probably got new stds weve never even seen before from banging octogenarians from all over .

God bless that man

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why don't we just loving kill the rich already.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Don't worry the solution is you can take loans out for your parents' end of life requirements so right about when you finish paying your student loans off you'll be eligible to get into deep debt again for that stuff!

No really why don't we just loving kill the rich already they are doing their best to kill us.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

COMRADES posted:

They have friends to watch their backs.

Aren't you familiar with Brad Neely?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZu_AKGxllY

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Ain't a bullet 50 cents?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I think he said it works out to around 8000 a month which at least in Canada would get you a fancy nice old age place.

Maybe we should let the free market sort this out with a whole armada of Love Boats keeping our old ones out of our hair and safely in international waters

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I think he said it works out to around 8000 a month which at least in Canada would get you a fancy nice old age place.

Maybe we should let the free market sort this out with a whole armada of Love Boats keeping our old ones out of our hair and safely in international waters

So its like the fool's ships of medieval Europe? Lol.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Peetown Manning posted:

So its like the fool's ships of medieval Europe? Lol.

More drooling though. Drools ships.

Captain Stubing and his flotilla of withered whites on the seven seas

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You forgot the best part: the actual care is garbage, even at high-level facilities, and the employees get paid a pittance. The Boomers' end-of-life will be a howling marathon of agony, indignity, and disdain while their children go broke to keep Mommy and Daddy's bedsore-ridden body on a 3 Vicodin/day pain management routine.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Noblesse Obliged posted:

8 grand a month are you kidding me i aint got that kind of cash

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

You forgot the best part: the actual care is garbage, even at high-level facilities, and the employees get paid a pittance. The Boomers' end-of-life will be a howling marathon of agony, indignity, and disdain while their children go broke to keep Mommy and Daddy's bedsore-ridden body on a 3 Vicodin/day pain management routine.

I used to live close to a guy who owned a chain of high-level facilities (just checked, he has about 20 now) - and he outbid Michael Jackson on a property about 15 years back. A lot of money to be made.

Ponies Ist Krieg
Dec 10, 2017

This's is one of the scarier things about aging, I had a relative in a home that ended up on the news because the staff was physically abusing and stealing from the clients. (They stole a pair of his shoes, for example) nothing happened to the home, they changed the name and are still around. Trump repealed a law that allowed senior citizens to defend themselves by suing nursing homes last year.
IMO the state should pay for rest homes in good condition so nobody dies old and alone on the streets,
But I also think they should give housing to anyone who needs it (worked in Fargo North Dakota or whatever)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

cynic posted:

I used to live close to a guy who owned a chain of high-level facilities (just checked, he has about 20 now) - and he outbid Michael Jackson on a property about 15 years back. A lot of money to be made.
Oh I wasn't talking about owners/admin. They pay themselves very well. The people actually doing the care is another matter, and as we all know paying someone barely over a subsistence wage encourages the very best of service.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cynic posted:

There sure is!

Seize their assets.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Smythe posted:

Thats pretty higher end. Don't worry you can be in a 60 minutes home for your old age benefits

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

COMRADES posted:

There sure is!

Seize their assets.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
i used to work in a retirement home and the management was so crooked and awful it was unbelievable. part of the facility was a dementia ward and they kept delaying actually separating it with working doors and such so insanely demented old people would regularly emerge from the dementia ward to terrify the other residents. demented people would occasionally just leave the facility and wander the streets, but fortunately the cops always found them for us. our marketing/sales guys would promise literally anything to get people to sign the 1 year contract, then disappeared never to be seen by them again as soon as the ink was dry.

to top it all off, the company decided that we just had way too many minimum wage employees, so they decided that they could get by with only 1 caretaker to every 12 residents and started laying people off. then they decided, that in order to drum up new sales, that the place needed a renovation, so they replaced about 130 dining chairs with 1400$/each dining chairs and redid the wallpapering. meanwhile the dementia doors were still incomplete so they had to assign caretakers to watch the doors and redirect any demented people. also they decided to fire all the dining room staff so they could have the caretakers do those jobs as well, saving even more money!

this was a huge company that wasn't hurting financially in the slightest, it was pure greed and everyone but upper management suffered for it.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
this is good, horray for the efficient allocation of resources!

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
oh yeah they also euthanized one of the old demented ladies when she became demented in a troublesome way (kept trying to escape the facility, was fearful of everyone, causing constant disruptions as caregivers had to retrieve her or calm her). they put her on a morphine drip so that she went to sleep and then they claimed that whenever they went to feed her she refused to eat (which was technically true because she was unconcious), she died about a week later. i guess the story they told the family was that in her demented state she was ill in bed and refusing to eat and she eventually died. lol!

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Old people should be euthanized

God willing, someone will blow my head clean off once I become demented

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Fartbox posted:

Old people should be euthanized

God willing, someone will blow my head clean off once I become demented

agreed but don't loving euthanize people because it's no longer cost-effective to house them and then lie to the loving family about it jesus christ

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Pitdragon posted:

agreed but don't loving euthanize people because it's no longer cost-effective to house them and then lie to the loving family about it jesus christ
Counterpoint: do do this.
If you don't lie to the family they'll (on average) never agree to do the thing that makes sense for themselves and society and the old person in question. It's a white lie. A murderous, murderous white lie.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Pitdragon posted:

oh yeah they also euthanized one of the old demented ladies when she became demented in a troublesome way (kept trying to escape the facility, was fearful of everyone, causing constant disruptions as caregivers had to retrieve her or calm her). they put her on a morphine drip so that she went to sleep and then they claimed that whenever they went to feed her she refused to eat (which was technically true because she was unconcious), she died about a week later. i guess the story they told the family was that in her demented state she was ill in bed and refusing to eat and she eventually died. lol!

This is better than the alternative where she lives out her remaining few days unhappily in terror?

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

angryrobots posted:

This is better than the alternative where she lives out her remaining few days unhappily in terror?

maybe allow the family to decide instead of your quarterly earnings report

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Smythe posted:

Usually these people have sold their house, cashed their investments etc.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
It works because the old age home is designed to murder you through neglect and incompetence JUST before you run out of money

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Jimmy Hats posted:

Usually these people have sold their house, cashed their investments etc.

reverse mortgages were extremely common

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

COMRADES posted:

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pitdragon posted:

i used to work in a retirement home and the management was so crooked and awful it was unbelievable. part of the facility was a dementia ward and they kept delaying actually separating it with working doors and such so insanely demented old people would regularly emerge from the dementia ward to terrify the other residents. demented people would occasionally just leave the facility and wander the streets, but fortunately the cops always found them for us. our marketing/sales guys would promise literally anything to get people to sign the 1 year contract, then disappeared never to be seen by them again as soon as the ink was dry.

to top it all off, the company decided that we just had way too many minimum wage employees, so they decided that they could get by with only 1 caretaker to every 12 residents and started laying people off. then they decided, that in order to drum up new sales, that the place needed a renovation, so they replaced about 130 dining chairs with 1400$/each dining chairs and redid the wallpapering. meanwhile the dementia doors were still incomplete so they had to assign caretakers to watch the doors and redirect any demented people. also they decided to fire all the dining room staff so they could have the caretakers do those jobs as well, saving even more money!

this was a huge company that wasn't hurting financially in the slightest, it was pure greed and everyone but upper management suffered for it.

Just say their name

:shrug:

You're not going to be liable libel-wise for anything posted on an internet comedy forum if that's what you're worried about.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
I took my mother in when she broke her hip, got breast cancer, survived, and got cancer again. She was a wonderful person, and I miss her. She died in a hospice, 3 days after going to the hospital on a long shot to save her life with chemo. Chemo toxicity killed her.

Not everyone has the incredible love and friendship I had with my parents, but I could not imagine not helping them when they are infirm, unless they're so far gone you literally are unable to care for them. I wouldn't even let my career get in the way.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Ain't no one killing my old man but me

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harakiri Potter posted:

I took my mother in when she broke her hip, got breast cancer, survived, and got cancer again. She was a wonderful person, and I miss her. She died in a hospice, 3 days after going to the hospital on a long shot to save her life with chemo. Chemo toxicity killed her.

Not everyone has the incredible love and friendship I had with my parents, but I could not imagine not helping them when they are infirm, unless they're so far gone you literally are unable to care for them. I wouldn't even let my career get in the way.

too bad for the retirement industry that she kicked it before you could start shelling out for a room

Lena Dunham
Sep 19, 2017

Pitdragon posted:

maybe allow the family to decide instead of your quarterly earnings report

No way, people are totally irrational about the long-term prospects of their loved ones.

Getting euthanized is the best possible outcome for 90% of nursing home inhabitants

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i think nursing homes and all that are mostly pretty hosed up and it sucks that in american culture its the norm. other cultures just move mom and dad back into their house and they can helpk with kids and poo poo or just be old and feeble until they die, in their home. i think thats a lot better for all involved. "the home" sucks for most ppl, i think. like i get it, if you've got noone (probs me lol) then i see the point of them for some people, i get it, or if ur super hosed up, alright, but most ppl shouldnt be shunted off to the home. imo. just imo.

e: ppl also stay healthier longer if theyre engaged in family or whatever, loke even doing dishes and poo poo keeps ppl healthier longer

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Ain't no one killing my old man but me

Ain't no one killing me, but me.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ppl live forever in japan i wonder how they do it there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I suggested once that ancient fuckers should, at some point in their old age, voluntarily wander off into a forest and die there to be food for the animals and someone called me ableist.

I stand by what I said, if they don't want us to shoot them.

• Locked thread