Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
In light of recent news about Seagal, it's probably a good time to repeat this CDAN post from a while ago. Rumours have followed him for years (Keep in mind that after their relationship, Kelly LeBrock moved to the middle of nowhere and wanted no part of showbusiness) but here's the whole thing. The backstory has a reporter who at the time of this was writing the full piece and originally named Seagal in it. It'll be interesting to see if anything comes of it.

quote:

Our actor was just coming off his peak. He was not A list any longer, but he still had that A list name recognition and glow about him. Our actor also had an appetite for women. A huge appetite for women. Because of his status, he had no problems getting women, but he had certain kinks that needed to be satisfied so he preferred to find some women in Asian countries or poorer countries where they could be bought and arrangements made for them to be given a "job" in his production company and a visa arranged so they might be able to travel with him. Our actor did this for many years, even while he was married to, at the time, this B+ list mostly movie actress. At the time of the blind he was divorced from that actress wife, but he was seeing this other C list mostly movie actress who he had met on a film. He also happened to run into a dictator. They had previously crossed paths and were actually friends because if their shared appetite for violence and women and the dictator was a huge movie fan, especially of our actor. He also admired the actress our actor was now dating. Our actor gladly handed the actress over to the dictator for a night. The actress did not even utter a protest because she had been beaten enough by the actor and the dictator had a reputation of his own that she did not want to meet. So, she stayed quiet, but she is also one of three sources the reporter used and the actress has not been seen in almost a year. Whether she is in hiding on her own or is being hidden without her consent, I don't know.

The next day, the actor and the dictator had a chat and the actor said he was tired of his most recent travel companion and that her visa was running out, but he had no idea how to get her back to her country and just did not want to bother. The dictator offered to take the woman off our actor's hands and the actor agreed, but said they should make it official. He always wanted to sell someone so the dictator offered the actor $20. The actor agreed. One hour later the woman was in the hands of the dictator and two years later she was dead. Killed because of internal injuries after a particularly brutal rape which the dictator was known for. The reporter said that people noticed the woman who was killed, not because she was killed, because it happened more frequently than one would think, but because she was Asian and the rest of the sex slaves of the dictator were not Asian. The other sources for the reporter also confirmed that the dictator was proud that he had got the woman from one of his favorite actors and that he was sorry she had died because the actor would ask him about her when they saw each other. The dictator is now dead. The protection the actor is getting comes from another leader who also enjoys the company of the actor and they share the same taste in women and violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I don't know whether to be more horrified about the fact that he could have hedged his bets by having her have an 'accident' at any time or that she as a 12-year old was aware of this fact and yet could do nothing about it. :stare:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That's loving awful. And she's not kidding, Kramer was the top stuntman back in the day. Dude was Arnold's double for at least a decade, Commando, Predator, T2, etc. I saw the pic of him hugging a little girl that Dushku mentioned, taken last year. Ugh.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Burn Hollywood to the ground

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah it says specifically that she came out to set to visit.

And Jesus Christ those replies. So quick to say "Yeah this is awful but lets talk about your parents...."
Her mother replies to that and it's somehow more heartbreaking than the post.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have had a massive fanboy crush on Dushku since she showed up on Buffy. That poor woman, I can't imagine the strength it took her to soldier on each day.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

I'm starting to think you Americans don't get how rule of law is supposed to work.

I'm not actually American, and I'm curious to know how you think 'rule of law' applies.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I have had a massive fanboy crush on Dushku since she showed up on Buffy. That poor woman, I can't imagine the strength it took her to soldier on each day.

Not only that, everything I've ever heard about her indicates she's a delight

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Not only that, everything I've ever heard about her indicates she's a delight

We met her at a con, she initiates hugs with fans, jokes and laughs. She's great.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm not actually American, and I'm curious to know how you think 'rule of law' applies.

I think they're saying that this is a pretty ironclad thing in France in general and that they don't make exceptions just because someone's Especially Bad.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gross. Disgusting. The gently caress is wrong with people. I might have found that recent image of Kramer with a little girl that Eliza was talking about. hosed up.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

DrVenkman posted:

In light of recent news about Seagal, it's probably a good time to repeat this CDAN post from a while ago. Rumours have followed him for years (Keep in mind that after their relationship, Kelly LeBrock moved to the middle of nowhere and wanted no part of showbusiness) but here's the whole thing. The backstory has a reporter who at the time of this was writing the full piece and originally named Seagal in it. It'll be interesting to see if anything comes of it.

Christ.

What dictators were they talking about, also?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I'd know he was buds with Alek Lukashenko but I don't think he's dead so I'm curious about this too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Due to the outcry Mark Wahlberg has announced he's donating his reshoot money ($1.5 million) to the Time's Up legal defense fund under Michelle Williams' name.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Christ.

It's gotta be Gaddafi.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I think they're saying that this is a pretty ironclad thing in France in general and that they don't make exceptions just because someone's Especially Bad.

Except that they also protect their own when there's no death penalty involved, as they did for Florence Cassez.

Origami Dali posted:

It's gotta be Gaddafi.

Chechnya's dictator is pretty keen on martial arts poo poo. He pays a few UFC fighters, including former champ Fabricio Werdum, to hang out with him.

Never mind, the timelines in no way add up and i missed the part where they said he's dead.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean I think France's policy makes a certain level of sense. It's not just protecting individual citizens from execution, it's saying "As long as you have this policy we will not cooperate." Polanski should be serving time but that's on him being a cowardly rear end in a top hat who ducked out of possibly getting a harsh sentence, not on the policy he took advantage of.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

it's saying "As long as you have this policy we will not cooperate, or do anything ourselves and will in fact keep giving him plaudits, awards and money while allowing him to roam free in an industry full of exactly the sort of young girls he's preyed upon before while claiming the moral high ground."

Almost like blanket policies can be pretty loving dumb.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
It’s also to prevent the government sending a citizen away to be murdered by another state. Take Polanski out of the situation and remember America is one of the few western nations on earth still with this law.

In australia we have a similar law and the federal police here helped tipped off the Indonesians that some Australians were smuggling drugs into Indonesia. They ended up being caught with Australian intel in Indonesia and ended up being executed.

Quite rightly people were pretty pissed off that the policy of not letting that happen (ie catch them in Australia) wasn’t followed. I wouldn’t trust America not to flip and say “oh now he can be tried for the death penalty” I mean America executes children in some states so it’s understandable to have these laws in place.

Either way it’s a bit rich for Americans to accuse the French of supporting Polanski. Didn’t you guys give him an Oscar ten years or so back and have your elite stand up and give him a standing ovation? Isn’t woody Allen a national treasure? Isn’t trump your president?

Edit: what I’m trying to say is perhaps the industry and the patriarchy cross country lines

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

teacup posted:

It’s also to prevent the government sending a citizen away to be murdered by another state. Take Polanski out of the situation and remember America is one of the few western nations on earth still with this law.

In australia we have a similar law and the federal police here helped tipped off the Indonesians that some Australians were smuggling drugs into Indonesia. They ended up being caught with Australian intel in Indonesia and ended up being executed.

Quite rightly people were pretty pissed off that the policy of not letting that happen (ie catch them in Australia) wasn’t followed. I wouldn’t trust America not to flip and say “oh now he can be tried for the death penalty” I mean America executes children in some states so it’s understandable to have these laws in place.

Either way it’s a bit rich for Americans to accuse the French of supporting Polanski. Didn’t you guys give him an Oscar ten years or so back and have your elite stand up and give him a standing ovation? Isn’t woody Allen a national treasure? Isn’t trump your president?

Edit: what I’m trying to say is perhaps the industry and the patriarchy cross country lines

I'm not American. And yes, this is a serious problem everywhere. And the French quite deliberately and publicly perpetuating the phenomenon of rich people being able to get away with really awful poo poo while pretending they've got the moral high ground is loving dumb as poo poo. Yes, Hollywood gives him an Oscar every couple of decades, the French government lets him walk free every single day.

EDIT: It sort of tells you how endemic the issue is that we're actually having an argument about whether its worth protecting a convicted pedophile to protest a legal penalty that was never on the table for the convicted pedophile. Like, the safety of teenaged girls is less important than making a retarded political point.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 13, 2018

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The government policy does not shower Polanski with awards and plaudits. It merely forbids extradition to countries which practice the death penalty, to encourage those countries to abandon it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

The government policy does not shower Polanski with awards and plaudits. It merely forbids extradition to countries which practice the death penalty, to encourage those countries to abandon it.

True, but he is free and able to make films and receive awards and plaudits as a direct consequence and effect of the policy. And it's not like they couldn't have anticipated that, and even if they couldn't have, they've got a fair bit of data now, saving them the trouble of anticipation.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

muscles like this! posted:

Due to the outcry Mark Wahlberg has announced he's donating his reshoot money ($1.5 million) to the Time's Up legal defense fund under Michelle Williams' name.

You know, I'll give Wahlberg props for this, it's good that he took some action after that came up.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

khwarezm posted:

You know, I'll give Wahlberg props for this, it's good that he took some action after that came up.

I too think it's extremely admirable that he did a good thing after being caught doing a lovely thing.

It's amazing how consistently Wahlberg is a loving rear end in a top hat.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

True, but he is free and able to make films and receive awards and plaudits as a direct consequence and effect of the policy. And it's not like they couldn't have anticipated that, and even if they couldn't have, they've got a fair bit of data now, saving them the trouble of anticipation.

And how could they react to that without abandoning the policy altogether?

As far as I can see the issue is he was able to flee prosecution in the first place. Maybe don't let your convicted felons get on overseas flights.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

And how could they react to that without abandoning the policy altogether?

As far as I can see the issue is he was able to flee prosecution in the first place. Maybe don't let your convicted felons get on overseas flights.

Lock him up themselves. Place him under house arrest. Limit his ability to make films or be around young women (like the one he raped and was convicted for raping). Are you really asking 'what could a government possibly do to a convicted criminal?' is that really a question you need me to answer? Dealing with criminals is something that governments exist to do.

"No, you can't have him, your criminal justice system is inhumane, we will deal with him."

gently caress, it's not that hard. gently caress off with this false dilemma bullshit.

"They have to leave him completely free, because the only other alternative is to hand him over, since the French don't have police or prisons or indeed any legal apparatus."

EDIT: This is really not how I expected this conversation to go here in this thread. We're only a few posts away from the awkward fucker who always shows up in this discussion pointing out that the girl was sexually active already.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 13, 2018

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

Lock him up themselves. Place him under house arrest. Limit his ability to make films or be around young women (like the one he raped and was convicted for raping). Are you really asking 'what could a government possibly do to a convicted criminal?' is that really a question you need me to answer? Dealing with criminals is something that governments exist to do.

"No, you can't have him, your criminal justice system is inhumane, we will deal with him."

gently caress, it's not that hard.

Does the law allow them to imprison someone convicted in another country? Does the French Constitution or body of laws provide for this? You have to actually follow proper procedures, they don't stop existing because someone is a predator.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Last I heard, Polanski's victim had supposedly forgiven him and had been actively petitioning the LA court to close the case and move on.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Does the law allow them to imprison someone convicted in another country? Does the French Constitution or body of laws provide for this? You have to actually follow proper procedures, they don't stop existing because someone is a predator.

Oh gently caress off with this. If you honestly think that French law has absolutely no way to deal with this, you're either full of poo poo, or French law is. Australia has laws to deal with people who committed sex crimes overseas, and we're barely a country.

Origami Dali posted:

Last I heard, Polanski's victim had supposedly forgiven him and had been actively petitioning the LA court to close the case and move on.

good, i needed this square in 'polanski bingo'

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah, but it's a felony and not a civil offense so the victim doesn't really have discretion.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

Oh gently caress off with this. If you honestly think that French law has absolutely no way to deal with this, you're either full of poo poo, or French law is.

So you're admitting the possibility that they don't have the legal power to imprison him. Which is bad. They should do something about that.

Do you honestly think that either I or Origami Dali are defending Polanski? Because I feel like you're kind of trying to argue a point that nobody's making. Polanski is a rapist. He should suffer a harsher punishment for his crimes than he has. But making that happen probably involves something more complicated than going up to the Palais Bourbon and shouting "YOU BASTARDS!"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

So you're admitting the possibility that they don't have the legal power to imprison him. Which is bad. They should do something about that.

Do you honestly think that either I or Origami Dali are defending Polanski? Because I feel like you're kind of trying to argue a point that nobody's making. Polanski is a rapist. He should suffer a harsher punishment for his crimes than he has. But making that happen probably involves something more complicated than going up to the Palais Bourbon and shouting "YOU BASTARDS!"

If the French have absolutely no legal recourse for someone who has actually been convicted, that is a damning indictment of them. It's also extremely unlikely, since 'committing crimes and fleeing the country' has been an idea as long as crimes and countries have existed. And the idea that France has no legal recourse, now, in 2018, or even 40 years ago, is really stupid.
If there was no legal recourse for the government, there's other things the establishment could do. Even if it was something as simple as 'not financing, starring in or distributing his films.' I mean, John Landis hasn't worked in 20 years, despite having not been convicted. And the chain of responsibility is a bit more complicated than 'he hosed a child' which Polanski did.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Christ.

The end of the item reveals that it's Gadaffi, that the ex-wife is LeBrock and his new best friend is Putin.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

If the French have absolutely no legal recourse for someone who has actually been convicted, that is a damning indictment of them. It's also extremely unlikely, since 'committing crimes and fleeing the country' has been an idea as long as crimes and countries have existed. And the idea that France has no legal recourse, now, in 2018, or even 40 years ago, is really stupid.

Welcome to the complicated world of international law and the interactions between separate legal systems. poo poo is crazy.

quote:

If there was no legal recourse for the government, there's other things the establishment could do. Even if it was something as simple as 'not financing, starring in or distributing his films.' I mean, John Landis hasn't worked in 20 years, despite having not been convicted. And the chain of responsibility is a bit more complicated than 'he hosed a child' which Polanski did.

And nobody here was arguing in favor of his still having a career. Again, you were saying "here come the Polanski apologists" when none of us have done that. I'd like for him to serve time.

But it remains a difficult thing to accomplish.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It was my understanding that France's non-extradition policy only applies if the death penalty is a possible sentence for the offense, and not as a general principle concerning any crime. Even then, the US/France extradition treaty grants the state the option to refuse in such a case, not the requirement.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

No it isn't. I'm pretty sure most countries don't have the ability to prosecute somebody for a crime they committed elsewhere, that's why extradition has to exist in the first place. And since it's been explained why they can't extradite him, unless France has hard proof that he committed a crime, in their country, with evidence and witnesses, they can't do anything. poo poo like jurisdiction and due process matter here. His lawyers would assuredly pounce on the fact the victim just wants to move on, and then he'd probably be found not guilty (especially since rape cases are SUPER hard to process long after the fact). And then you've violated someone's rights for a not guilty charge, and he'd probably sue the crap out of everybody involved with prosecuting him.

It doesn't matter what you think, Polanski has rights, regardless of how scummy and lovely he is. You start violating one particularly bad guys' rights, it sets off a huge shitstorm, and it sets a terrible precedent.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

I too think it's extremely admirable that he did a good thing after being caught doing a lovely thing.

It's amazing how consistently Wahlberg is a loving rear end in a top hat.

getting paid for your work....the shittiest of things

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

banned from Starbucks posted:

getting paid for your work....the shittiest of things

Yeah, I think it's more a strike against Williams' agent for not negotiating reshoot pay after Wahlberg's did tbh. Wahlberg himself probably wasn't all that involved in it. If it's lovely it's not entirely on him.

But he's donating the money anyway so who gives a gently caress.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
gently caress off with saying it's simple. Polanski is a monster but many people still believe the death penalty is a huge humans rights violation. France has a policy that says it won't extradite to places with it as a way of protesting a huge human rights violation. If it was so simple why doesn't California change their law- if they did then he could be extradited. What a damning indictment on California that they choose to keep the ability to murder citizens over jailing a child rapist.

Sarcasm of course but it's your argument so whatevs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, despite being an awful person, Polanski still has the same legal rights as anyone else. I admit I am not an expert on French law, but it sounds pretty illegal to prosecute him in France for a crime he committed elsewhere, especially considering he’s already been prosecuted for that crime in the country where it happened. Like, you can’t just put someone under house arrest because they’re a really bad person, you have to have a legal justification. I don’t consider saying any of that to be “Polanski apologism”. Honestly, if I was going to blame any country for this whole mess, it would be the US because it sounds like he was able to very easily book a flight out after he had been convicted. Like, they weren’t keeping an eye on him? But the blame ultimately lies with Polanski himself and the people within Hollywood and other entertainment industries that continue to support him.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 14, 2018