Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Zam Wesell posted:

New years resolution:

Don't buy any games in 2018, play through your backlog instead - it contains games of all genres!!!

Let's see how well it'll go.............

Lol ya this is really hard to do. I normally don't buy new games because I rarely end up playing them right away but I really want the new DBZ game this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Zam Wesell posted:

New years resolution:

Don't buy any games in 2018, play through your backlog instead - it contains games of all genres!!!

You can absolutely succeed at this kind of resolution if you just take steps to avoid advertisements. Install an adblocker, don't go to the steam store page, unfavorite the steam thread or wherever you go that talks about recent releases. Folks spend a lot of money on advertising because it absolutely works, and if you're serious about cutting off your spending, the #1 way to go is to not pretend you're immune to advertising.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Zam Wesell posted:

New years resolution:

I did this in 2016 and by spring 2017 I had no more backlog. It is totally doable. Once you get comfortable passing on great deals and bundles you can even turn it into a pride/ego thing, where no matter what insane deal you're presented with you just move past it like it's nothing.

There will always be more deals, and those games are not going anywhere. Your backlog's packed with superb games already.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My new years resolution is to learn how to draw digitally but also finish a bunch of old childhood games.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 4, 2018

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Hey so... I bought a Japanese SNES with four games.

That lasted long.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Zam Wesell posted:

Hey so... I bought a Japanese SNES with four games.

That lasted long.

You lasted less than a week. Maybe put a monetary limit on games for the year? Then you cam still succeed!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Which four games?

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Which four games?

Panel De Pon, boxed
Mario's Picross, boxed
Kirby's Dream Course, boxed
Ganbare Goemon 2, not boxed

And the SNES + RGB-cable.

I don't already have a SNES, so I'm real excited!

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Inspired by discussion in the Terrible Steam Games thread, I checked out the games I owned by developer Tero Lunkka/Valkeala Software

Nulled: Finnish Roller
Supposedly a puzzle game like The Ball, but every level I entered, the ball was in the start (or end?) position of the level, and I was at the opposite side and couldn't move the ball or myself.

Nulled: Inferno Puzzle
A simple Match-3 game, with the exact same layout for all levels and no indication why you suddenly ended the level.

Nulled: Nash Racing
Not a big fan of sim-racers, but while this one tries to be a sim-racer, with garage/tuning, it really just is a shining example of Valve letting anything onto Steam these days - even demo games with random artwork made in the late 90's.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

We can talk about non-steam stuff in here too right?

Beat: Yakuza 0

This was my first Yakuza game and I loved it. Went from a very serious 15 minute story cutscene to a side mission that involved breaking up a used schoolgirl undergarment sales ring. It's weird, charming and often funny as hell.

I also lost a ton of hours to Cabaret Club Czar, holy poo poo it's fun.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya I am pretty sure people have posted non steam games from Origins/Blizzard and even console exclusives.

Ah I only hear good things about Yakuza 0 hopefully it comes to PC one day. I just hooked up my ps3 I might replay the original ps2 yakuza 1.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I'm not going to make any broad claims about what I'm going to do this year.

I just know one thing. This is going to be the year I play and beat games again. No more just picking at them for a few hours then going back to doing nothing. No more browsing forums endlessly, I want to play games again.

It's been 5 years since I last beat a game. I have a backlog of nearly 3000 games. Enough is enough.

My core goal right now is to beat at least the following list of games. If I can at least beat these games by the end of the year, I'll be happy. Anything else is a bonus.

- A Dark Souls game. I almost beat 1 way back when, maybe 2 or 3?

- Divinity Original Sin 2

- Doom '16

- TES Morrowind

- A Far Cry game, either 4, Primal, or 5

- Nier Automata

- Night in the Woods

- At least one faction in Total War Warhammer, ideally all 9

- The Witcher 3

- The Witness or Talos Principle

I'm putting this here so y'all can shame me if December 31st comes around and it's been another year without a single game beaten.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Doom and NitW might be the shortest on the list, I haven't beat a WHTW campaign. I don't know if there's any real benefit to beating a FarCry game, maybe one of the recent Wolfenstein games instead. Maybe FC5 won't have such aggressively awful writing this time.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 9, 2018

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

I would start with DOOM as it's a game you don't have to think too much about, just run through it, shoot demons and have fun! Before you know it you'll have beaten your first game (and it'll be a good one).

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rookersh posted:

I'm not going to make any broad claims about what I'm going to do this year.

I just know one thing. This is going to be the year I play and beat games again. No more just picking at them for a few hours then going back to doing nothing. No more browsing forums endlessly, I want to play games again.

It's been 5 years since I last beat a game. I have a backlog of nearly 3000 games. Enough is enough.

My core goal right now is to beat at least the following list of games. If I can at least beat these games by the end of the year, I'll be happy. Anything else is a bonus.

- A Dark Souls game. I almost beat 1 way back when, maybe 2 or 3?

- Divinity Original Sin 2

- Doom '16

- TES Morrowind

- A Far Cry game, either 4, Primal, or 5

- Nier Automata

- Night in the Woods

- At least one faction in Total War Warhammer, ideally all 9

- The Witcher 3

- The Witness or Talos Principle

I'm putting this here so y'all can shame me if December 31st comes around and it's been another year without a single game beaten.

I'd still make the original Dark Souls a goal, but build up to it after a couple of games - but it's worth it - I've never felt as good as I did when I finally got through it and if you beat that you can beat anything. The rest of the Soulsborne games are significantly easier once you know the mindset of DS1.

Also, look up your library on How Long To Beat and pick off some low hanging fruit.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 9, 2018

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

Mr. Flunchy posted:

NULLED: Sim City 2000

My Dad used to play this back in the day, but it was a bit dry for me then. It still is now, though I can appreciate why it's still so highly regarded.

Anyhow, I created Dazzaville and begin to grow it into a burgeoning metropolis. Things were looking so good by the 1950s that I expanded across the river that cut through the town, thus creating wealthy Old Dazzaville and the sadly slum-filled bumtown New Dazzaville, where my heavy industry was located. All was well until I cut the cord on my brand new airport. A month later a jet liner crashed right into the middle of Old Dazzaville, starting a fire. In a serious breach of my mayoral duties I forgot you had to manually send out the firefighters and by the time I realised it was too late - the fire could not be stopped. In desperation I dynamited all the cross-river links between Old and New Dazzaville in an attempt to at least save half the city.

It worked, but at a heavy cost: Old Dazzaville. After burning for two years it became an ominous wasteland of burnt corpses and twisted metal. We don't talk about Old Dazzaville.

Stories like this is why I always loved this game. :allears:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I'd still make the original Dark Souls a goal, but build up to it after a couple of games - but it's worth it - I've never felt as good as I did when I finally got through it and if you beat that you can beat anything. The rest of the Soulsborne games are significantly easier once you know the mindset of DS1.

Also, look up your library on How Long To Beat and pick off some low hanging fruit.

Totally agree with this. Dark souls probably the hardest to get into but IF you can get into it you will love and beating it really will level up your skill. The patience and strategy you learn in Dark Souls carries over into other games.

One tip I want to give to anyone in this thread is that you should limit playing multiplayer games. I use to complete a lot of games until I became hooked to moba games. After that I barely finished or played any singleplayer games. Multiplayer games are really fun but they are incredibly time consuming.

I have been having so much fun playing singleplayer games again. I still play League of Legends but only 1-2 days per week instead of only playing that.

Dropped: Drakengard
Horrible game avoid this at all costs. This the series that made Yoko Taro famous and one of it's ending spawned the Nier series. But this game is horrendous at every aspect other than story and music. It plays like a complete garbage Dynasty Warrior games. Drakengard makes Dynasty Warrior feel like an action game masterpiece on the lines of Bayonetta or Devil May Cry.

There is aerial combat which was apparently inspired by Ace Combat? Which is almost insulting to Ace Combat that it spawned something like this. You thought Dynasty Warrior was repetitive? Well tighten your seat belt because Drakengard doesn't know the meaning enough. Some levels will have you literally kill 2000 enemies with time limits. Don't forget that is with the clunky rear end, 0 depth combat.

The only reason I can think why the gameplay is so repetitive is for story telling reasons. Yoko Taro said in many interviews he hates how in videogames the main character/player can only resolve problems with combat primarily killing others. The game keeps reminding you how horrible you are for doing so and being as bad as the enemy.

Just youtube the story of this game its atleast worth that.

Dropped: Far Cry 3
I had some discussion about this on the steam thread a few weeks ago. Really pretty and fun open world. But the story keeps trying to rush you through it instead of letting you have fun. Story is really insulting, white savior bs. Basically island is dominated by Pirates and you the white tourist who gets stranded there is the only one who can save them. Also the head of the bad guy is a white guy. The black people weren't even smart enough to be bad guys. For how much Ubisoft preach diversity and being multicultural you sure as heck don't get that by playing any of their games. Not gonna go more into that.

The island is beautiful but gameplay loop is boring. You are very limited in inventory so you have to just hunt and upgrade stuff nonstuff which stops you from doing fun stuff like fist fighting sharks or gliding around the island. Inventory is really bad in this game because how limited it is and how abundant loot is. There is a limit for everything you can hold which is realistic but ultra unfun. If they went full survival game the realistic inventory system would make sense but you can literally save anywhere and have very generous check points. Couldn't be bothered after 5 hours or so.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 9, 2018

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

COMPLETED: Commander III: The Great War. A turn-based wargame with hexes, the next step up in complexity from Panzer General and Panzer Corps. It's easy to learn how to play, good interface, and it doesn't go maximum military equipment sperg the way a lot of wargames do. Its' gameplay does have the tendency to get bogged down, in that you can spend several turns attacking with nothing to show for it but a massive pile of your soldier's corpses. This is perfectly accurate for a First World War game, but it does get annoying sometimes.

COMPLETED (again): Doom I (with E1M10: Sewers). Re-played on Ultra-Violence difficulty. Still a classic.

COMPLETED: Doom II (with MAP33: Betray). The new monsters are kind of annoying and bullet-spongey, but apart from that it's more Doom. Go play it. I will say that the abandonment of Doom I's episodes in favour of a single massive campaign irritates me for reasons I can't describe.

COMPLETED: No Rest for the Living. A 9-level official expansion for Doom II. It's a really good demonstration of how far Doom mapping has come since the mid-90s, and the levels are loads of fun to play too.

COMPLETED: Master Levels for Doom II. An id-approved map pack. The quality is very hit-and-miss, and there are a few gimmick maps that really aren't fun. I'd say to skip this one.

COMPLETED: I Can't Believe It's Not Gambling. A lootbox parody game, it's much better than it sounds. The developers actually put a fair bit of effort in, and it's a little unnerving just how much time you can waste opening lootboxes that don't actually give you anything. It's only a dollar, so check it out.

COMPLETED: Sonic the Hedgehog I. The game that spawned both a major franchise, a thousand edgelord Original Character Do Not Steal, and a million furries. The game itself is... it's actually good, but it has some teething problems. For a character whose memetic catchphrase is "Gotta go fast!" this really plays like a traditional platformer most of the time, with only the Green Hill and Star Light Zones really showcasing speedy gameplay.

COMPLETED: Sonic the Hedgehog II. Far better than its predecessor. They really nailed the gameplay with this, and if you like platformers even a little... well, you've probably played this already. It is called a classic for a very good reason.

COMPLETED: Sonic the Hedgehog III & Knuckles. Some of the bosses are irritating gimmick fights, but apart from that, it's still one of the best 2D platformers you will ever play.

PLAYED: Final Doom. With a couple of exceptions, I just didn't find the levels fun to play. I gave up on it after 2 hours.

COMPLETED: Demon Hunter I: Chronicles from Beyond. A generic Artifex Mundi Hidden Object game. If you've ever played any of AM's other games, you know exactly what you're in for,

Next up: My current game of Crusader Kings II is going to be the one I actually finish. I even got up-to-date on DLC for EUIV in anticipation of converting this game over.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
BEATEN: Metroid: Samus Returns. This isn't worth it. The setpiece fights are all incredibly frustrating and often also incredibly tedious, and exploration doesn't work nearly as well as I'm used to it feeling in these sorts of games, and I am galled beyond words that the Metroid Queen not only basically requires taking an action that makes your most effective move fail in literally every other boss fight, said Metroid Queen isn't the final boss anymore. Pretty much the entire last quarter of the game was hateplaying. AM2R threaded this needle better, I fear.

This has decreased my appetite for videogaming, too; I may be taking a break from both buying and playing for a while.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

EightDeer posted:

COMPLETED: Sonic the Hedgehog I. The game that spawned both a major franchise, a thousand edgelord Original Character Do Not Steal, and a million furries. The game itself is... it's actually good, but it has some teething problems. For a character whose memetic catchphrase is "Gotta go fast!" this really plays like a traditional platformer most of the time, with only the Green Hill and Star Light Zones really showcasing speedy gameplay.

Just wondering what you played this on? I want to try it out.

Also does anyone know if there is anyway to play Castlevania Symphony of the Night without emulating if I don't have any consoles except ps3.

ManxomeBromide posted:

BEATEN: Metroid: Samus Returns. This isn't worth it. The setpiece fights are all incredibly frustrating and often also incredibly tedious, and exploration doesn't work nearly as well as I'm used to it feeling in these sorts of games, and I am galled beyond words that the Metroid Queen not only basically requires taking an action that makes your most effective move fail in literally every other boss fight, said Metroid Queen isn't the final boss anymore. Pretty much the entire last quarter of the game was hateplaying. AM2R threaded this needle better, I fear.

This has decreased my appetite for videogaming, too; I may be taking a break from both buying and playing for a while.

Eh kinda surprised because this game has really good reviews, haven't played it myself though.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Ulio posted:

Also does anyone know if there is anyway to play Castlevania Symphony of the Night without emulating if I don't have any consoles except ps3.

Eh kinda surprised because this game has really good reviews, haven't played it myself though.

You can get SotN on the PS3 from the PS store as a PSone classic.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

bengy81 posted:

You can get SotN on the PS3 from the PS store as a PSone classic.

Ok I didn't know it was on the store. I haven't connected online on my ps3 in forever.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Ulio posted:

I bought it on Steam during the Christmas sale.

drguildo
Apr 27, 2013

LISTEN TO THE CROWD ROAR IN ADMIRATION!
Beaten: Metal Slug X
See my comments on Metal Slug, only not quite as good. The slow down seemed a lot worse in this game, too.

Beaten: Broforce
I guess I'm in the mood for shooters that have lots of things blowing up around you? Has a very nasty bug where it will delete the progress of the save file you use to join a co-op game. That pissed me off even more than the final boss fight.

Nulled: SteamWorld Heist
Although I could tell it was a Good Game™, it looks like I should add "turn-based strategy shooter" to the list of genres I generally don't like, along with platformers.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BEATEN: Quantum Break

Lives up to its mediocre reputation. Quantum Break isn't quite a bad game - the action sequences are competent and it looks nice enough. But instead of actually making a fun video game, Remedy chose to carve out some weird multimedia project that goes nowhere. I'm particularly bitter that I sat through the godawful 'TV show' in which you watch embarrassed looking actors working through dreadful dialogue - and even more annoyingly you can completely ignore this it never properly ties into the main plot.

It's just a bit crap that with apparently endless monetary reserves at their disposal, Remedy ended up producing a game that has a script and story on par with a straight to VOD clunker. Jack Ryder is the epitome of generic white-guy video game hero, the villain's motivations don't really make sense (or why we should be trying to stop him) and the plot ends on a eye rolling cliffhanger.

The whole affair just suffers from a lack of focus and (even though it was released in 2016) feels really out-dated.

BEATEN: Life is Strange: Before the Storm

Despite being a huge fan of Life is Strange, I was super sceptical about this spin-off prequel. Explaining mysteries is never particularly satisfying, not to mention that it wasn't being made by the original devs and had a different voice cast. It felt like the whole reason for the game was that Square Enix wanted another LiS asap and didn't want to wait for Don't Nod to finish Vampyr, and a story being continued purely for financial reasons is never geat. Plus the Hot Topic pop-punk branding of really rubbed me up the wrong way. But a friend who I'd gotten into LiS insisted that I play it, and she was absolutely right to.

This is brilliant and many respects better than the original. It's a beautifully heartfelt game full of interesting and three-dimensional characters who're all written beautifully. I fuckin' adore the stoned, pastel, melancholy vibe of the game, and it took me about 10 minutes to get sucked in. From then I played one episode a day til I finished it and got pretty drat emotionally wrapped up in the plot. It's kind of ironic that a game about arty teenagers trying to hide who they really are is so completely sincere and unironic - and the slightly better dialogue in this prequel makes them feel a lot more naturally adolescent. Knowing that LiS spoiler Chloe and Rachel both end up dead also makes everything that much sadder - especially when they're fantasising about their future lives outside of Arcadia Bay.

I still don't think it's a game that needed to be made, but I'm super glad that it was. Also, sthis really shows up TellTale's lack of ambition. Can't wait for the bonus episode in March.

BEATEN: Chroma Squad

Got this gifted to me by Xander77. I was never into Power Rangers as a kid, so a game that's largely made in tribute to them initially didn't seem like my thing. But it's weirdo premise of simultaneously battling evil both real and fake AND producing a hit TV show at the same time is so original that I couldn't help but dig it. Basically you buy cameras, make costumes and improve your sets and then head out to shoot an episode. The action is like a dumbed down XCOM, though eventually gets a bit more complicated with all the powers you learn as you level up. There's a couple of rough edges but it's an easy game to like and has some seriously toe-tapping music.

BEATEN: Memories of a Vagabond

'Yer basic RPGmaker game that my Steam randomiser commanded me to play through. At least it's short.

The game was made a bit more surreal when I decided to name my hero 'Chester', but ended up pressing the wrong button, leaving him confusingly called 'Chest'. The rest is a super generic JRPG with some downright dreadful dialogue that sounded like it was written by teenagers trying to be edgy. Pretty early on I realised that in all likelihood this is some kids' first RPG project so I cut it a bit of slack. If I had made this when I was like, 13 or 14 I'd be pretty pleased with myself.

BEATEN: X-Men vs Street Fighter

As fun as all the other Vs games are. It's pretty toned down in comparison with later entries, but it's still fun launching around the screen and executing ridiculous combos. The only flaws are that the character endings are perfunctory (though sometimes pretty funny) and that the opponent choice in Arcade mode is a bit broken. Over the course of one Arcade mode I shouldn't have to fight Rogue three times in various matches. Also, despite finishing the game with most of the characters, I only ever fought Wolverine once. Feels like the RNG is busted or something. Beyond all that it's a mechanically solid as gently caress game that still looks great.

NULLED: Kingdom Rush

Tower defence really isn't my thing, but this is one of the best I've played. There's a whole bunch of personality throughout the game, with great animation, character design and pop-culture reference heavy quotes. It's also pretty goddamn difficult until you get upgraded a little and, past the opening levels, I really had to think about tower placement and type. I finished the 'main' campaign and beat the evil wizard baddie, but it looks like the difficulty ramps up in the bonus levels for the Steam release so I called it a day there.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

BEATEN: X-Men vs Street Fighter

As fun as all the other Vs games are. It's pretty toned down in comparison with later entries, but it's still fun launching around the screen and executing ridiculous combos. The only flaws are that the character endings are perfunctory (though sometimes pretty funny) and that the opponent choice in Arcade mode is a bit broken. Over the course of one Arcade mode I shouldn't have to fight Rogue three times in various matches. Also, despite finishing the game with most of the characters, I only ever fought Wolverine once. Feels like the RNG is busted or something. Beyond all that it's a mechanically solid as gently caress game that still looks great.

Someone else can correct me but I believe the fact that you ran into multiple sets of Rogues and only one Wolverine indicates that the character you play against is actually a true random pick. If the game distributed the characters you played against more evenly it would be inherently unrandom.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

FanaticalMilk posted:

Someone else can correct me but I believe the fact that you ran into multiple sets of Rogues and only one Wolverine indicates that the character you play against is actually a true random pick. If the game distributed the characters you played against more evenly it would be inherently unrandom.

Good point. In that case, it should artificially limit the amount of times you face off against each character in Arcade mode.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Good point. In that case, it should artificially limit the amount of times you face off against each character in Arcade mode.

I agree, usually true randomness results in a mediocre experience especially if you're trying to hunt down a particular item/result like the fishing minigame in Okami.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

2018 beaten game tracking begins...

#1: Kelvin & the Infamous Machine (5 hours) - A point n click adventure about travelling back in time to help historical inventors and creators after a mad scientist takes credit for most of their work. Sort of like Time Squad the Game. The humor is just kind of ehh.. to people who could use this info, there's no button to show all the hotspots, but they're easy enough to spot, and you can double click exits to warp there.
#2: Another Lost Phone (2 hours) - While the subject matter of the first Lost Phone is more near and dear to me, Another Lost Phone has a more gripping narrative that unfolds a lot more organically. It seems they really took a lot of feedback to heart from the original.
#3: Ara Fell (15 hours) - Very competent RPG Maker game that manages to have a very luscious aesthetic despite using stock assets (the profile art could be improved, however). I wouldn't put this at the top of the RPG Maker list, however.
#4: Old Man's Journey (2 hours) - Sidescrolling walking simulator where you raise/lower terrain to help an old man on his journey. Relaxing game.
#5: Cat Quest (8-10 hours) - I played the iOS version, which wisely opts for point and click combat rather than a virtual controller. The nature of the game and its simplified systems works pretty well in a pick-up-and-play mobile format.
#6: Miss Fisher's Deathly Maze Episode 1 (2 hours) - Here's a cool little iOS game, it's a detective game based on a series of media but also HEAVILY inspired by Phoenix Wright. While it doesn't have cross-examinations, it has many other similarities, from the sound design to the text effects, and the general interface is very similar. This game is coming to Steam and will probably be the best Wrightlike there (though I do like Aviary Attorney).
#7: Alphadia Genesis (18 hours) - Bog standard JRPG by Kemco, the masters of bog standard JRPGs.
#8: The House of Da Vinci (5-6 hours) - The Room-inspired puzzle game full of switches and toggles and hidden compartments. If you've played The Room games, you know what you're getting here.
#9: Xanadu Next (10 hours) - Falcom's Not-Ys, a dungeon crawler in a small, interconnected world, with the looting->levelling->shortcut unlocking kind of loop that Souls games have, just transposed to a more arcadey-action style (though nowhere near as uptempo as the Ys series).
#10: Midnight at the Celestial Palace (2 hours) - First part of a planned musical adventure trilogy. Yes, it has songs.
#11: Yume Nikki (4 hours) - Surreal dream-like game from a decade ago made in RPG Maker. Has something new coming out in the future apparently!!
#12: Leaving Lyndow (half hour) - Short little walking sim about a woman leaving her community behind to go explore the unknown. Very pretty, not much in the way of content, just looking at the sights and chilling out.
#13: Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet (4-5 hours) - Charming self-aware Monkey Island knockoff with a bit of a odd artstyle but it means well.
#14: Miss Fisher's Deathly Maze Ep. 2: Cleopatra's Curse (2.5 hours) - A bit of a meatier episode that hops back and forth between investigations in a sea-side town, and investigations in Melbourne. The mystery ultimately doesn't have much in the way of twists and turns, but is compelling in the sense that the main character is distracted and trying not to get involved (and then ultimately getting involved).

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I haven't had much PC gaming time, but I have had mobile gaming time, and I found a set of old DS games that I'd forgotten to backlog and poked at them some.

BEATEN: Contra 4. Admittedly only on Easy, but I got to the last stage on Normal before running out of continues and it really isn't any fun to actually play. I don't know if this is "something happened to Run-and-Gun games somewhere between Contra 1 and Gunstar Heroes that made me stop liking them" or if it's "WayForward has a talent for taken properties I used to like and being very faithful to them while making something I can't stand", because man, that's happened a lot and this happened before I noticed it was a thing.

COMPLETED: Scribblenauts. I'd left it about 2/3s done because it gets a bit samey or finicky or annoying; I hit hints on the Internet a few times here for things that relied on only one of five very similar objects actually working.

My favorite story this time around begins with a man with bandana and pistol, walking away from a man in cowboy hat who is scared and unarmed.

Prompt: "ONLY HE CAN WIN THE DUEL! HELP HIM!"

OK, sure. I drop CTHULHU in behind the other duellist, who promptly eats him.

That makes the mission fail immediately. OK, fine, dude has to make the kill himself. I hand him a BAZOOKA, which makes for a faster battle and also enough holes in the ground to create a pit that falls off the stage and thus counts as bottomless.

So of course the level-completion token spawns right above that pit and falls in, resulting in another mission failure.

Take 3, wait a little bit so our hero can flee, then give him the BAZOOKA, and now the explosions are more widely spaced and don't dig a hole off the stage entirely. Victory!

RE-BACKLOGGED: Shiren the Wanderer. I remember really liking this game, and apparently my best run got to level 16, but my save is in the middle of level 11 with several game mechanics active I remember nothing at all about.

RE-BACKLOGGED: Trauma Center. The first one. I gave up on this around Chapter 5, and I think it just was beyond my skill at the time. It might be worth a revisit.

RE-BACKLOGGED: Time Ace. 3D chase-shooter spiritual sequel to Time Pilot, but I remember having trouble dealing with the controls and it's got minute-long load times despite being a cartridge. I nulled it back in the day before nulling was a thing.

Now, the whole reason I was digging around my DS stuff anyway was because I wanted to play Spirit Tracks, which means the result was inevitable given my approach to games...

BEATEN: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. I fired this up first just to remind myself why I hated it, and strangely enough, this time I didn't. I gave up on it in 2011 after completing four "real" dungeons and four delves of the repeating dungeon, which at the time pretty much broke my spirit for playing the game. On the revisit I went out of my way to use different tactics on each delve, and as a result it was a lot more fun and I found a ton of shortcuts I missed the first time around. This is a case of "design at war with itself", I think. Everything about the revisited dungeon is about optimizing the actions you had already taken, and clues for how to do things faster show up too late or in ways that don't show up as clearly if you're trying to do what you did before, faster.

Also interesting was that, especially next to Scribblenauts, the touch controls were really good. There was one move that was finicky at all (the roll) and it's almost entirely optional. Path-based weapons were wonderful, and this is so far the best implementation of Bombchus in any Zelda I've played.

... and at this point only Wind Waker, Spirit Tracks, and Breath of the Wild are left.

ON DECK: I should really finish grinding through the current case in Ace Attorney Dual Destinies that I'm disengaged with, by playing off a walkthrough if nothing else. Then maybe I can get some PC gaming time again soon and get cracking on the Steam side of the backlog.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
So, I both played games and played Steam:

Finished: Awakening: The Redleaf Forest Collector's Edition
A Hidden Object Game

Nulled: JiPS
A jigsaw puzzle game with some pretty graphics, but below average controls, layout, functionality and basically everything else that the Pixel Puzzle series can do.
Ran through all the puzzles in the easiest layouts, but didn't want to do the same 30 puzzles in both medium and hard layouts, just get get achievements.

Finished: Middle-earth: Shadow of War
A pretty fun, but not very varied open world game. I kind of burned out on it in the end, and skipped Act 4, which is basically siege battles, where you have to grind levels fighting captains and other stuff to level up your own army, then do a siege battle where you either attack or defend your castles.
If you complete this, you get am achievement and a 30 second video clip where your dude finally becomes a wraith lord after many years of fighting them.
I also uninstalled the game, even though I got the season pass, because I have kind of had enough of that setting for a while.

Nulled: Broken Age
I enjoyed the first part of this Double Fine adventure, but never started playing part 2. It's been installed since 2014, and I know I'll never finish it, so off it goes.

Finished: Paint It Back
A really good picross game with a lot of puzzles.

"Finished": Pinball FX2
Except for a few tables, all the tables are available in Pinball FX3, so I retired this one.

Finished: Pixel Puzzles Mosaics
34 easy puzzles where you have to swap puzzle pieces to form a picture.

Nulled: Strikey Sisters
A fun Breakout clone, but not fun enough for me to play through all the story and boss battles.

Finished: Superflight.
Put on your wingsuit and navigate the floating structures.
Sometimes spires, sometimes monolithic cubes, but always something that looks like it's taken straight from a 70's scifi painting by Chris Foss.

Nulled: Zorbit's Orbits
Gravity-based platformer with great cartoon-like graphics. I'm just not good at this type of game.

Finished/Nulled: Xbird
A multiplayer parakeet arena shooter, that is quite dead.
I played with a bot and got a few achievements.

I also played "Let's go through all the Early Access titles and see which ones we can null right away".
Criteria for nulling an EA title (as if there needed to be some) were: Pulled from the store, no updates within the last year(-ish), updates within a year about cancellation, change of developer/dev. team, complete change of tech.
A few of the games might have thriving communities, but when the developer can't be bothered to write an update within a year, I see the game as abandoned.

1... 2... 3... KICK IT! (Drop That Beat Like an Ugly Baby)
Beasts of Prey
Calibre 10 Racing Series
Claustrophobia: The Downward Struggle
Colonies Online
Colossal Kaiju Combat: Kaijuland Battles
Conquest of Champions
Cube Land Arena
Cyber Team Manager
DAMAGE CONTROL
Dead Island: Epidemic
Demented
Descent: Underground
The District
Dream Factory
Dungeoncraft
DungeonRift
Ensign-1
Escape Machines
Evertown
FæeVerse Alchemy
The Falling Sun
a Family of Grave Diggers
Fancy Skulls
Forgotten Lore
Friendship Club
Galactic Conquerors
Galagan's Island: Reprymian Rising
Godus
I must kill...: Fresh Meat
Indie Fight
Indie Game Battle
Industry Transporters
Infect and Destroy
Iron Madness
Isomer
Journey of the King
Led It Rain
Lonath Online
The Lost Island
Love Is Blind: Mutants
Magician's Apprentice
Magnetron
Mech Anarchy
MIGHT
Miners of Mars
Minimon
Mystica: The Ninth Society
N0-EXIT
Nanos
No Turning Back: The Pixel Art Action-Adventure Roguelike
Protocol
The Rebel
Recruits
Shut Up And Dig
Silver Knight
SinaRun
Skedaddke
Skyflower
Soccer Rage
Soup
Stoire
The Story Goes On
Survival: Postapocalypse Now
Terra Incognita ~ Chapter One: The Descendant
TOTM
Tyrfing Cycle |Vanilla|
Under the Ocean
Video Blogger Story
Voice Of Pripyat
WolfWars
Zone 22

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 28, 2018

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

My favorite tool for Steam library tracking, GaugePowered, shuts down in a few days. It did cost to hours played ratio, rating systems, and cool charts. I emailed the development team to see if they’d be willing to let someone else pick up the project, but never heard anything back.

It’s a shame, I’ve been doing my back logging on there for years, and had ideas for it. =( Maybe I’ll just have to make my own. I hate how manual Backloggery is, since my library is 1800+ Steam games. And yeah, I know of the command line tool.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

InevitableCheese posted:

My favorite tool for Steam library tracking, GaugePowered, shuts down in a few days. It did cost to hours played ratio, rating systems, and cool charts. I emailed the development team to see if they’d be willing to let someone else pick up the project, but never heard anything back.

It’s a shame, I’ve been doing my back logging on there for years, and had ideas for it. =( Maybe I’ll just have to make my own. I hate how manual Backloggery is, since my library is 1800+ Steam games. And yeah, I know of the command line tool.

I really wish for someone to take it over. It's only site of that kind that lets me accurately and easily calculate how much I've spent on my Steam account.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Sininu posted:

I really wish for someone to take it over. It's only site of that kind that lets me accurately and easily calculate how much I've spent on my Steam account.

I’d love to take it over and build on it, I’ll let you guys know if I hear anything. If they don’t respond, I really may just start working on my own thing. It’d be nice to have something that combines Backloggery and the pricing tools from GaugePowered for us nerds.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Almost a year after my last post. In that time, I've beaten....well, not a lot. Puzzle Agent 2, The Typing of the Dead: Overkill, Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series, and Morrowind. I put around 100 hours into Morrowind, so I took a break from playing that at times to beat the other games I listed. I'm currently playing Quake 4 and am almost at the end of it. Next in line is Tomb Raider: Underworld. I've beaten, in order, the other Tomb Raider games and I can't break that streak now.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nice to see so many people beating games already at the start of the year. Meanwhile I am struggling to finish anything. I was trying to finish some shorter games while playing some rpgs.

Nulled: Portal. I think I just don't enjoy puzzle games at all. There is some platforming in it but it is mostly a puzzle based game. The puzzles are well thought out, keep getting more intricate but they weren't fun for me to solve.. I hate being stuck in a puzzle forever, it feels like doing a shore and not playing a game. I did a lot of levels before I had enough of it. I can see why people like it. There is some good writing in there and it is a very well made puzzle game.

Nulled: Limbo. Ok I also thought this was a platformer but pretty much all the obstacles are more puzzle in nature than pure platforming ala supermeatboy or vvvvvv. The atmosphere and narrative are very inticing but I stopped around 70%. I always end up at a puzzle in these games that I can't just get through and I don't want to use guides.

These games are both great but I just don't like puzzle games. Before anyone says why did I play puzzle games if I don't like them. I thought these two games were platformers for some reason.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Completed: Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC

Bit of a story with this one - a friend got it for me for Christmas back in... 2014? 2015? I played about thirty hours of it, loved it, and promptly burnt out and stopped playing, because why finish games. (Also I'd heard it had a cliffhanger ending, and SC wasn't translated yet, to make leaving it unfinished even more enticing.)

So fast-forward to this Christmas, and kind goon The Doomhammer got SC for me for the gift train - and the stars aligned a couple weeks ago. I wanted to play it. So I did! I got a guide and basically marathoned it and loved it and finished it. What a game!

Mini-review: one of the best jrpgs I've ever played, by virtue of its stellar writing and characters. It starts with a slowburn almost slice-of-life atmosphere as it follows two teens around this fantasy/steampunk country as they go adventuring, then slowly ramps up into political intrigue and more dastardly things. By the end it's intense and I couldn't put it down. By contrast the combat is firmly okay, the missables are some of the worst I've ever seen, and you can tell it's a game from 2004. Fortunately the graphical style has aged well, so it's cute to look at, and the music is real good.

I'd absolutely recommend it to anyone who likes reading fun adventures with heart. I'd also recommend making sure you're able to get your hands on SC almost immediately afterwards, because that cliffhanger is one heck of a doozy.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I'm in a similar boat. I had a game going and lost the save a few dozen hours in and the thought of retreading that good but slow pace all over again keeps me from going back.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

I'm in a similar boat. I had a game going and lost the save a few dozen hours in and the thought of retreading that good but slow pace all over again keeps me from going back.

Oh god, ouch.

In that scenario - either ask someone for a save, on the off-chance they have it near the right area, or... well, wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

1626 games total, but I've narrowed it down to 69 (nice) games that I *actually* want to play. I've always felt that obligation that I need to play through all of my bundle garbage, but time spent on those is time spent not having much fun.

This not mentioning my backlog of older console games and 3DS library. Hopefully 2018 can be the year I catch up and can start enjoying new games at the same time my friends are.