Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Cross-posting from Monitor thread...

black.lion posted:

Okay so I got my new 144hz monitor, hooked it up, it's pretty. I downloaded the ICC profile referred to me a couple pages back, adjusted some things, got it looking good, went to play some OW. I can get through a match, maybe two, but then sometime around the third my comp will just shut off for no reason.... and then start up again.

I first had my 144hz and my 60hz dual-screening, but even unplugging the 60hz and going one monitor didn't help. I cleaned out my case, and my GPU temp only gets to like 73C when I'm playing Overwatch so I don't think the GPU is overheating...

It worked fine before I hooked this monitor up, any ideas how to address this? Could the ICC profile be doing it? I may try going to factory settings with it to see if that helps, but would love any other suggestions.

i7 + GTX970 if that matters, TIA

e: Monitor is a Dell S2417DG

OW looks gorgeous! I can't wait to play more than two matches without my comp shutting off!!!

black.lion posted:

This happened before the update (the update has since downloaded and been applied to my comp, but whatever the prob is was there before my OS downloaded the update...)

PSU is 650W i think? The GPU is the same as it has been for years, tho since my fps is bouncing from 90-120 now instead of sitting at 60 I guess maybe it's just too much? But would that indicate it's too much for the GPU or PSU?

I've never even thought I had to consider my monitors when looking at PSU wattage, given they have their own power supply.

I think my CPU is haswell fwiw, but again, this was happening before the update/while it was downloading/and after

Googling said that if something is weird between the ICC/nvidia settings/windows resolution and display settings it can cause something similar, but if that's the thing I don't understand why it doesn't just poo poo itself when I load the game up instead of mid-match or as a new map is loading.

Idk wtf, the comp has worked great for ages, the only thing I did besides plug in a new monitor is pressure-air-dust the inside of the case, which had some dust but no clumps to pull out of any fans or anything - what is ruining my games? Halp? TIA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What kind of PSU is it and how old is it exactly? Using two monitors would increase the load on the PSU.

Although it's possible another computer issue has come up just at the moment you did this upgrade.

Pill Clinton
Jun 4, 2006

Feast for thought
- Have you tried switching back to the old monitor, original setup, to make sure it is the new monitor which is causing the problem?
- 650W PSU is plenty unless your computer mated with the new monitor and having a baby PC.
- What does it say in Event Viewer at the moment your computer crashes?
- Isolate potential heat issue by opening your PC case and stick a fan blowing air into it. See if you can get more than 3 games of Overwatch.
- CPU overheating causes computers to reboot more often than GPU overheating. Make sure it is not CPU issue by getting a program to log the temperature.
- Use the new monitor in its default setting to make sure it is not the ICC profile. Try it with different resolutions.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

So before I saw these responses, the issue (seems to be?) is gone. I'm just running the one monitor now, and the comp seems to be running fine and dandy. Pretty weird. I did go back to the default ICC so maybe that was the issue? In any case, I'm just going to run the one monitor until I can get a second like this, so hopefully the issue is moot now! But thanks for the below!

Zogo posted:

What kind of PSU is it and how old is it exactly? Using two monitors would increase the load on the PSU.

Although it's possible another computer issue has come up just at the moment you did this upgrade.
It's probably 3 years old, but yea I wondered if turning my case on its side (for prob the first time in a while) f'd with my old HDD, which doesn't have my OS on it but does have my game installs. That HDD is pretty old so maybe it got jarred just with the movement from cleaning the inside?

Pill Clinton posted:

- Have you tried switching back to the old monitor, original setup, to make sure it is the new monitor which is causing the problem?
- 650W PSU is plenty unless your computer mated with the new monitor and having a baby PC.
- What does it say in Event Viewer at the moment your computer crashes?
- Isolate potential heat issue by opening your PC case and stick a fan blowing air into it. See if you can get more than 3 games of Overwatch.
- CPU overheating causes computers to reboot more often than GPU overheating. Make sure it is not CPU issue by getting a program to log the temperature.
- Use the new monitor in its default setting to make sure it is not the ICC profile. Try it with different resolutions.

- I have not, because it fixt itself first and I'm a bit lazy
- Noice that's what I thought
- I'm not sure, if it happens again I will check tho
- I monitored CPU and GPU heat while playing/during crashes and it didn't ever get hot enough to cause a problem (as far as I know, both around 70-75C the whole time)
- See above; I don't think 75C is too hot? Like, mid-battle in a game?
- I did do this, with default resolution, and yea it seems fixed so hopefully that was the issue.

Anyhow THANKS YALL! :glomp:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

black.lion posted:

So before I saw these responses, the issue (seems to be?) is gone. I'm just running the one monitor now, and the comp seems to be running fine and dandy. Pretty weird.

The test will be to see if two monitors can work okay.

black.lion posted:

It's probably 3 years old, but yea I wondered if turning my case on its side (for prob the first time in a while) f'd with my old HDD, which doesn't have my OS on it but does have my game installs. That HDD is pretty old so maybe it got jarred just with the movement from cleaning the inside?

The HD being on its side shouldn't matter. But you can run the standard zip edition of CrystalDiskInfo 7.5.1 to check your HD health: https://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Alright, it shut down randomly once in five days. I took these screen shots of the Event Viewer:

Does this tell us anything? It seems like it just cuts of for ???? reasons. Been fine the last 24 hours and I'll be playing a lot of OW today to test it so we'll see if it happens again...

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

That kernel-power is a very generic error but I'd lean toward a PSU issue at first guess.

Some other things you could try if you don't want to try another PSU yet:

If CDI gave no errors then I'd run memtest overnight at some point:
http://www.memtest.org/

And also use onboard GPU temporarily if you have it.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Zogo posted:

That kernel-power is a very generic error but I'd lean toward a PSU issue at first guess.

Some other things you could try if you don't want to try another PSU yet:

If CDI gave no errors then I'd run memtest overnight at some point:
http://www.memtest.org/

And also use onboard GPU temporarily if you have it.

Okay so, it stopped for a bit and then started shutting off again. I can play Overwatch pretty much consistently, but if I try to load up WoW or Diablo III it shuts off as soon as the world attempts to load. I went back to my old monitor setup, and I still have the same problem. It's strange to me that some games are fine and others shut off immediately, esp because it's not graphics-heavy games.

I'm fine buying a new PSU but is there any way to narrow it down to definitely being that before I put up the cash? I just dont have a lot to put toward the comp right this moment.

Will run memtest tonight and report back tomorrow.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

black.lion posted:

...is there any way to narrow it down to definitely being that before I put up the cash?

Using onboard video (if you have it) or a much weaker GPU than a 970. If things run stably under either of those conditions then that'd also point to the PSU failing.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Kk I'll give it a go, but it sounds like all signs point to PSU failing and it's one of the original parts in this build so that's not too far fetched (and is much more attractive to replace than the CPU or mobo or GPU that isn't even a year old yet)

Turns out I can run The Division without issue too, so strangeness continues to abound. Will try to load up one of the games that insta-crashes using onboard and see if it works.

Do I need to unplug the PSU from the GPU for this test to be valid? Or can I assume that if there's no monitor(s) plugged into the GPU, that it won't be pulling power bc it's not doing anything.

PS Thanks a lot for your help in this ongoing saga, my comp is the one thing keeping me sane through this tax season not sure what I'd do without being able to come home and decompress by virtually murdering countless people

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

black.lion posted:

Do I need to unplug the PSU from the GPU for this test to be valid? Or can I assume that if there's no monitor(s) plugged into the GPU, that it won't be pulling power bc it's not doing anything.

It'd be better to unplug it but as long as you're not gaming/folding/mining etc. it shouldn't be using a ton of power.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Mkay I'm ponying up for a new PSU, I had a computer tech friend check it out and he thinks the.... fuse in my PSU is bad and is flipping under load? Idk but he says buy a new PSU and so do you, so I'm doin it!!!

...recommendations? I'd like to buy one with more power than I need, since I'll be upgrading GPU and eventually CPU/Mobo and want to have all my future-bases covered. How much power should I get, to be super safe? 800W? 900W? 1000W?

Whats with the gold/copper/diamond standards?

Modular PSUs will basically guaranteed have the connections I need, right? I have a pretty standard setup: 1xGPU, 1xHDD, 1xSSD... I haven't built a pc in a few years so just want to make sure theres no compatibility considerations I'm forgetting abt...

Crossposting into the pc building thread but any recommendations are welcome!!!

e: Also turns out the PSU I have now is only 550W soooooo yea bump that time to upgrade!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

black.lion posted:

...recommendations? I'd like to buy one with more power than I need, since I'll be upgrading GPU and eventually CPU/Mobo and want to have all my future-bases covered. How much power should I get, to be super safe? 800W? 900W? 1000W?

Quality/brand/model is more important than W rating.

But that EVGA one from the other thread should be OK.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Hey dude, just got the new PSU in the mail and installed er, booted up and was able to load WoW and Diablo which used to cause instant crashes, sooo I'ma call it fixed!!!

One curious thing, it was a little... slow to boot up - went right to the mobo screen but hung there for prob 20 secs before loading up windows, which also was a touch slower than usual. I'm thinking since its a brand new PSU that maybe it just had a little first-time jitters with pushing power out to all the components? Anyway I'm not too worried about it (unless you tell me I should be)

Point being, I really appreciate your help! I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out this issue and I am super relieved and excited to have it solved. You're just the best! :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I wouldn't be concerned about the loading time unless it was taking a much longer time to boot.

After a couple weeks it'll become pretty clear if there are still any lingering issues.

• Locked thread