Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Avis gave me a Chevy Equinox as rental car with the finest head unit General Motors has to offer.
let's look through all 3 pages of "System" settings on the head unit to find the brightness control since it's nighttime and I want to navigate

both CarPlay and Android Auto default to Off since what car owner in their right mind would want to connect their phone to their car

nothing here either. oh well guess i'll hit a deer then.

Plus there's the new aesthetic in $60,000 vehicles that can be described as 'I taped the reference design for an Android tablet to my dash'

post your in-car computers that cost as more than an Alienware yet can't drive a 1280x800 screen at more than 20 FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

actually all computers are trash, op

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

agreed. my car is a few years old so just has a little lcd screen but it’s still full of nested menus and bad design decisions. the physical “menu” button has different contexts depending on where it’s accessed, so poo poo like “pair phone with Bluetooth” is not super clear or straight forward. luv 2 crash the whip ducking with bad car computer

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
i will continue buying honda civics and taping an ipad to the dash op

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i am going to carepost in this thread so hard but i am on my phone now.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i have been trying to find a single DIN car stereo that works in my car with carplay for a while now and all the options have things i hate.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
the first-gen smart cars used by car2go had stock head units but the software was completely custom for the service, so they had to reimplement everything and their approach was along the lines of "it compiles, ship it."

There was a 1-2 second lag between when you turned the volume knob and it actually changing.

If you mashed the gas pedal beyond like 70% on a regular basis, it would become very angry in a very German style and display "PLEASE ADJUST YOUR DRIVING STYLE"

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my car's ecu just accurately reported that my mass flow air sensor is bad.

thank computer

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
op you need to use the brightness knob that also controls the brightness of the instrument cluster and stuff.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

the one in my 2017 Mazda 3 has like zero improvements over the one that was in my 2015. it’s laggy and bad and sometimes just randomly forgets Bluetooth connections, or takes several minutes to reconnect.

Mazda said at one point that CarPlay and android auto were coming but lol at that ever happening.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

the computer is like the only bad thing about the car tho.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

other than it being a car and therefore the enemy.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Elder Postsman posted:

the one in my 2017 Mazda 3 has like zero improvements over the one that was in my 2015. it’s laggy and bad and sometimes just randomly forgets Bluetooth connections, or takes several minutes to reconnect.

Mazda said at one point that CarPlay and android auto were coming but lol at that ever happening.

p sure this one allows arbitrary code via the USB port

blugu64 posted:

op you need to use the brightness knob that also controls the brightness of the instrument cluster and stuff.

lol nope this did absolutely nothing for the center screen.
Can't wait to see a $80k mid-engine, top-of-the-market Corvette with this trash preinstalled.

lua
Jun 16, 2013
mercedes have decided it’s easier to divide the world into 57 trillion randomly named squares than to type in, say, ‘Osaka convention centre’

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

what do you know about Geo coding? there’s a shitload of ambiguity outside of major landmarks, even within for cultures that don’t have precise addressing systems. and where does it imply you can’t search for landmarks normally? I don’t think it’s -great- mind you but it’s not a terrible idea

lua
Jun 16, 2013

OldAlias posted:

what do you know about Geo coding? there’s a shitload of ambiguity outside of major landmarks, even within for cultures that don’t have precise addressing systems. and where does it imply you can’t search for landmarks normally? I don’t think it’s -great- mind you but it’s not a terrible idea

I don’t know a lot about geocoding. what does using 3 words offer over lat/long?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

try communicating a lat/lon number to another person. if addressing is informal or quirky then diving the world into squares which are easier to reference and communicate could help for delivery, and to rural areas for example. e. like for that last example, if you have acres of land or something then the geotranslation of an address might not resolve to somewhere useful

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 14, 2018

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

lol yeah it’s a piece of poo poo

on my 2015 I ssh’d into my car (lmao) to enable nav from a non Mazda as card and to install a 3rd party sort of dashboard app. and enable WiFi.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
cars are oversized phone accessories. car makers are trying to pretend otherwise but they are eventually going to relent

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
honestly one of the things i love about driving a 1997 car is not having some bullshit "infotainment center" garbaging up the console

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

honestly one of the things i love about driving a 1997 car is not having some bullshit "infotainment center" garbaging up the console

my 2011 prius doesnt have infortainment either and normal button dash.

you dont even need to go that far back. just a few years and a lot dont have it

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

they're all gonna have them now what with the rear view camera requirement and all

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

lol at those bullshit smart dashes getting dunked on by a tape deck aux adapter and USB lighter plug in usability.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I diagnosed a problem with my 2004 grand prix’s air conditioner by looking up how to set the control module into diagnostic mode in the repair manual, would use again

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

I diagnosed a problem with my 2004 grand prix’s air conditioner by looking up how to set the control module into diagnostic mode in the repair manual, would use again

bit whisperer

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i've got a 2009 corolla which doesnt have any of this bullshit but im looking to get a new car now and, welp, guess i just gotta dehumanize and face to bloodshed

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
lookin at that sick faux wood dash and realizing that your car computer is steampunk af

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
touchscreens are a terrible idea in cars. if it doesn’t have hard buttons for basic functions, do not buy.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

The Management posted:

touchscreens are a terrible idea in cars. if it doesn’t have hard buttons for basic functions, do not buy.

every time i see the interior of a tesla i scream

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
drove a uhaul that had the perfect stereo. big dial on one side for volume and power, big dial on other side for tuning. clock, am/fm with 6 preset buttons, and an aux port. a huge rocker button for seeking new stations. volume and power buttons also on steering wheel.

that stereo will be useful the next 20 years.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Same but my s2000 from 2008.

The Management posted:

:agreed:

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

maybe if new cars didn't have useless tiny rear windows we wouldnt all have to have backup cameras

my first car was an old buick where the back window was literally flat and straight up and down, and the trunk angled downward

rear visibility was great. and now u cant see poo poo outta these new cars

anyway cars are a gently caress

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

OldAlias posted:

try communicating a lat/lon number to another person. if addressing is informal or quirky then diving the world into squares which are easier to reference and communicate could help for delivery, and to rural areas for example. e. like for that last example, if you have acres of land or something then the geotranslation of an address might not resolve to somewhere useful

we've already had a better system for years that does exactly that

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Yeah I'm sure its way easier to stay "Computer take me to four q f j one two three four six seven eight nine" than it is to say "Computer take me to Tree Pillow Television"

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

ADINSX posted:

Yeah I'm sure its way easier to stay "Computer take me to four q f j one two three four six seven eight nine" than it is to say "Computer take me to Tree Pillow Television"

this. obviously there are multiple existing solutions to this problem already but they all suck in some way

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i loving hate talking to computers/robots

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i loving hate talking to computers/robots

extremely same

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ADINSX posted:

Maybe just learn to read a road map, and learn how to navigate yourself then drive there, instead of being completely blind and dependent on something that has zero knowledge of real route conditions?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Maybe just learn to read a road map, and learn how to navigate yourself then drive there, instead of being completely blind and dependent on something that has zero knowledge of real route conditions?

I'm not advocating for the solution but don't pretend it doesn't have advantages. It would be pretty neat to look up some rural address up online and be able to remember three words vs some combination of numbers and meaningless street/city names that might not even point to the actual location.

For example, we went trap shooting the other day, the range was in a bedroom community of a bedroom community; down a gravel road off a rural highway. It would have been more convenient for me as someone not from the town to look up three magic words that just tell my car how to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

hmm yeah, automated delivery drone should just “read a road map” and drop deliver my poo poo into a swamp. and most people don’t know how to read maps anyways so what good is that?

e ^ ya. I doubt this will ‘replace’ anything anyways but just interop with other spatial representations, but I don’t know enough about it

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 15, 2018

• Locked thread