Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Sonderval posted:

I'm back from the blasted hellscape that is Glasgow. Hail Satan, Death to America.

you should check out my gbs death to america.jpg thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842956

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

god bless wetherspoons

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Sonderval posted:

I'm back from the blasted hellscape that is Glasgow. Hail Satan, Death to America.

Better city than any trash English place my friend

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Thank you forums moderator and all round nice guy Jose, I will take my irrational hated of the colonials to the aforementioned thread posthaste.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Glasgow loving owns I would live there if I didn't like nottingham so much

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/CincinnatiZoo/status/952313577049939969

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

Glasgow loving owns I would live there if I didn't like nottingham so much

Nottingham is full of gun crime and racial stereotypes, much like Glasgow is full of Neds, Buckfast and Heroin.

Not like our glorious City of Culture 2021, Coventry! Everyone should visit Coventry once in their lives! Enjoy our beautiful ruined cathedral and nonsensical ring road.

Real talk, Glasgow was cold as balls and I hate the cold.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Sonderval posted:

Nottingham is full of gun crime and racial stereotypes, much like Glasgow is full of Neds, Buckfast and Heroin.

Not like our glorious City of Culture 2021, Coventry! Everyone should visit Coventry once in their lives! Enjoy our beautiful ruined cathedral and nonsensical ring road.

Real talk, Glasgow was cold as balls and I hate the cold.

The cold is our way of warding off those who are Unworthy.

That and the constant rain and the general gloom and the """cuisine""" and

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
It is cold as gently caress atm tbf. Got down to -8 a couple weeks back which was pretty ridiculous.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’ve always been fond of York, because having lived most of my life around hills I really appreciate a city that’s on the flat.

Sheffield is OK, I just keep getting weirded out by how much it’s changed since the 90s. I have literally no sense of direction and can’t get my bearings from the station anymore as my default is to head up through the student union cut through and it’s been demolished.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011

Not the Messiah posted:

The cold is our way of warding off those who are Unworthy.

That and the constant rain and the general gloom and the """cuisine""" and

I visit Glasgow fairly regularly for work, running joke is that so far I haven't seen the sun once.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Glasgow is just grey drizzle from about October to May every year, but you get used to it and during summer you get some lovely days.

York I have visited a bunch and it's cool and all but I think the sheer volume of tourists would grate on me.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011

learnincurve posted:

I’ve always been fond of York, because having lived most of my life around hills I really appreciate a city that’s on the flat.

Sheffield is OK, I just keep getting weirded out by how much it’s changed since the 90s. I have literally no sense of direction and can’t get my bearings from the station anymore as my default is to head up through the student union cut through and it’s been demolished.

Wasn't Sheffield in the 90's one unbroken ring of abandoned warehouses and workshops?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We once worked out that it would be quicker for the people at the end of the queue at marks and Spencer’s in York to get on the train to Meadowhall, go to the much larger one there by the platforms, and then go back to York again.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'll apparently be visiting glasgow again for another funeral soon, what is there to do that isn't loving depressing as gently caress. If you say the transport museum because its free you're me da and thats actually the next funeral.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Sonderval posted:

Wasn't Sheffield in the 90's one unbroken ring of abandoned warehouses and workshops?

Pretty much yes, if you walked from the city centre to Bramall Lane then you would be genuinely terrified that the warehouses would collapse just through the sheer weight of all the soot and crud on the roofs. It did get a lot better when the student games happened and they renovated the bus station, and built ponds forge though.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Visit the Butchers Shop, one of the best steak houses in Glasgow. Unless your vege or vegan, then your truly hosed.

https://www.butchershopglasgow.com

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'll apparently be visiting glasgow again for another funeral soon, what is there to do that isn't loving depressing as gently caress. If you say the transport museum because its free you're me da and thats actually the next funeral.

heroin feels loving amazing

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Swam there for a while. Best time ever was watching kids on some school thing sneak up to the high up diving boards, crawl to the edge, poo poo themselves,fight each other, get screamed at and crawl back down the ladders. I wouldn't even go up the ladders.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jose posted:

heroin feels loving amazing

You are loving asking for it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
im so glad i don't live in the north

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Glasgow has a ridiculously good vegan scene but yeah if you don't want to do standard tourist poo poo (kelvingrove/goma/cathedral/necropolis/transport museum/tall ship) just go do what us locals do and get drunk. Loads of good bars, if it's a nice day the inn deep next to kelvinbridge subway is lovely and you can sit by the river, otherwise take your pick. The city centre/west end is way less scary than the reputation suggests, just stay out of the schemes.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Sonderval posted:

Visit the Butchers Shop, one of the best steak houses in Glasgow. Unless your vege or vegan, then your truly hosed.

https://www.butchershopglasgow.com

This looks nice.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Isn’t there a good theatre in Glasgow?

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

twitter has made me think that if i went to glasgow there'd be a real chance of me getting my head kicked in for being english

so if i did scotland id probably do edinburgh

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Glasgow has a ridiculously good vegan scene but yeah if you don't want to do standard tourist poo poo (kelvingrove/goma/cathedral/necropolis/transport museum/tall ship) just go do what us locals do and get drunk. Loads of good bars, if it's a nice day the inn deep next to kelvinbridge subway is lovely and you can sit by the river, otherwise take your pick. The city centre/west end is way less scary than the reputation suggests, just stay out of the schemes.

Funeral is likely to be in the next two months, so not exactly a nice time of year up there. Also its actually erskine these days, and no doubt the erskine bridge hotel like the last 10 funerals/weddings. Mainly funerals. I have a perversely positive glimpse into my fathers mindset whenever we cross the erskine bridge in the funeral cortege and we always name at least one extra car on the crossing so they don't have to pay either as a final family gently caress you to who the gently caress ever.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Erskine Bridge Hotel isn't too bad, stayed there a few times with work. It was a bit 80's till the refit.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i seriously loving miss living in winchester, didcot is such a complete shithole

a few years ago i was l@@kin at house prices in keswick, i would loving love to live up there

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

youtube commenter posted:

twitter has made me think that if i went to glasgow there'd be a real chance of me getting my head kicked in for being english

so if i did scotland id probably do edinburgh

Too many loving hills. I would not want to go out drinking there, I’m not a hill coward, I’ve spent many years living and drinking in the Pennines , and Edinburgh made even me stand back and go “good god that’s a bit steep”.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Sonderval posted:

Erskine Bridge Hotel isn't too bad, stayed there a few times with work. It was a bit 80's till the refit.

Yeah its totally fine.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have to say, Monty Don’s personal war on Donald Trump is one of the odder things on my twitter stream.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Lol Didcot is loving dead

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Mario kart is good
Zelda seems good but the graphics are terrible

That is my Nintendo switch report so far

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

Mario kart is good
Zelda seems good but the graphics are terrible

That is my Nintendo switch report so far

Why don't you just play proper old PC games like doom, or civilization, or geoff crammond's formula one grand prix or lemmings or something?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Why don't you just play proper old PC games like doom, or civilization, or geoff crammond's formula one grand prix or lemmings or something?

Because I intend to continue having sex with women

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

each to their own

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Quote-Unquote posted:

Why not SWITCH it up 👬

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Looke posted:

Lol Didcot is loving dead
seriously, the town council closed the coal station and now theres absolutely no loving reason to be here

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

use grindr man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ratjaculation posted:

use grindr man

to overcome the lack of a coal industry?