Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Danube, Minister of Interior

I'm pleased to present my nominees for the Property Appropriation Committee.

quote:

Fatima Shwe (57) - Career bureaucrat, Deputy Head of Geographic Information Systems, Office of Citizen Records, Ministry of Interior. Highly-ranked competitive wargamer.

Hospes (Age at scan time: 76, active for 16 years) - AMR of Alois Foucault, biotech tycoon who died ten years ago. Created to run the spun-off real estate development portion of Foucault's business empire. Divested himself of his business in the waning days of the Vallstein Administration, avoiding ruin in the Greene depression.

Denver Axo (30) (tatankatonk) - Retired CLF officer, current head of Axo’s fashion house and citizen leader of Panorama.

Diya Choi (59) - Well-known former professional monowheel racer turned Director of Sard Municipal Office of Zoning and Development after the revolution.

Benjamin Ramachandra (49) - Attorney from Topaz specializing in property law, Popular Resistance activist.

My rationale in selecting these committee members is simple. They represent five different perspectives with a vested interest in the property appropriation process. The national-level bureaucracy, business, people's assemblies, municipal governments, and the courts. I believe the synthesis of these viewpoints will result in the most just and equitable body possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The SRLF would like to announce that we will be contesting all seats in the upcoming municipal elections, as well as running the following candidates for mayor in the major cities:

Elijah Theodotos (66) - Former professor of economics, Peridot candidate
Michael Saint-Just (??) - Opal candidate
Comrade Conrad (??) - Topaz candidate
Albert Hammon (44) - Former lab technician, activist and political prisoner, Sapphire candidate
Nicole Tullia (37) - Community organizer, Amber candidate

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 14, 2018

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Denver Axo

Statement to the Panorama Evening Star and other newspapers:

I am honored to be nominated to the post of Committee member by the esteemed Interior Minister. His prudence and integrity are rightfully famous, and set a rigorous example for all public officials. If approved, I look forward to ensuring a safe, fair, and orderly transition for all parties in this critical and exciting moment.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Denver Axo

Also, I'm officially joining the ranks of the SRLF, pending approval from its leader.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Welcome, comrade.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Conrad Tokyo joining the lovely SRLF

Also annoucing my residency in Topaz and my intent to run for its open Mayoral seat

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 13, 2018

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
At 8:50 on the 7th of May 3062, the streets of Sard are filled with people marching excitedly through the streets and chanting Popular Resistance slogans. In a way, the scene resembles what was a common sight on these streets just a year ago. Nevertheless, any outside observer would soon recognize the differences: the soldiers watching over the marchers are wearing utilitarian SDF uniforms, rather than the intimidating black attires of the PSF, and there is no violence anywhere to be seen, unlike the old days. But the most striking difference is the atmosphere – where once there were pain and struggle, there are now celebration and joy.

The people stream in from every end of the city towards the central plaza, and from there through the old government district to the building that in the past housed the regime’s congress, now home to a museum of the regime’s corruption. The crowds are retracing their steps from this day a year ago. The congress building itself is already filled to the brim with ecstatic citizens, so new arrivals must settle for watching the proceedings on the large screens installed outside just for today. Connected to a public SCN channel, they show a live video feed of the main hall, where the old congress used to meet.

At 9:00, a loud instrumental rendition of Today, We Sing of Freedom spills out from the screens, causing the crowds gathered outside and those lucky enough to be present in the hall itself to quiet down and enter a state of excited anticipation. In a few moments, a familiar figure appears on the stage, seemingly out of thin air. After loudly clearing her throat, Councilor Aurora begins to speak:

“My friends, thank you for taking the time to come here with me today. Call me sentimental if you like, but I can’t help myself from vividly recalling the events of this day a year ago. I find myself experiencing old feelings of surprise, uncertainty, determination and a small yet persistent worry that everything around me is a fleeting dream sure to disappear by next morning. These are the sorts of things that went through my mind as I stood on this stage a year ago and spoke to all of you.

I would be a liar if I said that all of these are gone, or that they are mere memories of more turbulent times. The truth is that these feelings never quite left me, that they are with me to this day. Despite this, I am confident when I say that our revolution was a success. A success in removing the selfish and negligent tyrants of the old regime, but more importantly a success in improving the lives of all of you - the people of this country. I said then that “a hard road still lies ahead of us” but that “this is the dawn for a new and better era for our society”. Both of these things are just as true today.

Thanks to the admirable work of both the transitional and current governments, the road before us now looks shorter and easier than it did ever before. For that, I am truly grateful. Which is why I invite Prime Minister Luxemburg to the stage, to say a few words I am sure you would like to hear.”

A round of applause passes through the crowds as Luxemburg goes up to speak.

“One year ago, on this day, we achieved.... [pause] you know what? Screw it. To someone off camera No we're not doing this [points to teleprompter] bullshit, they got lives to live.

Hi Sirta. Hard to believe it's been a year, isn't it? You only get to experience these first, heady days once, and before you know it they're gone. I feel like we get too caught up in it all sometimes. It's good to just... slow down, enjoy yourselves, for once. I won't keep you busy on this beautiful day, though Janstin might [chuckle]. Just remember Sirta, you earned this. This is your day. But not just today. Every day is Revolution Day as long as you hold the power, and don't you ever let it go.

The time has come for peace. It's been a good year. We'll make the next one even better. But for now, let's party. See you tomorrow, Sirta.”

The crowds break out into an even more enthusiastic round of applause, mixed with loud cheers. It takes them a few moments to calm down as a cheerful looking Aurora indicates she is about to speak.

“I like our Prime Minister’s sentiment today. This is the first time I can remember when a teleprompter had “point to teleprompter” written on it. [She grins widely for a moment, before returning to her regular expression.]

Now, Leader of Opposition Micheal Janstin wanted to speak as well, but he has fallen ill this week and wasn’t able to make it. Let us wish him a swift recovery.”

A series of murmurs passes through the crowd. It seems very few of those gathered here wish for the Leaders of Opposition’s recovery.

“Moving on, I invite Minister of Internal Security Radek to deliver a speech.”

The Minister confidently walks up to the stage, with purpose in his eyes.

“Brothers and Sisters of Sirta, I shall be brief today. Over the last year, and especially since the formation of the current government, I have been thrilled to witness the great awakening of the Sirtan People. Where once we were a nation of lackeys, sheep, and the oppressed, every day that passes now sees us stride ever further down the path of being a truly great nation, a nation where every man woman and child has the opportunity, desire, and ability to take their future into their own hands, to play an active role in the development of their own nation. This great nation!

We too in the Ministry of Internal Security stand ready to do our part. The New Sirtan Police will soon be on the beat in your neighborhoods, keeping the peace and upholding the law. The crack investigators of the New Federal Police are ready to leap into action against any who would dare transgress the law and protect our society as a whole. And of course the other branches stand ready and willing to do their part, all for the betterment of Sirtan society.

People of Sirta! The sleeping giant awakens! Let its righteous action shake the heavens and inaugurate a new age in Sirtan History!”

Another round of applause resounds, though notably quieter than the one following the Prime Minister’s speech.

“Encouraging words from the Minister in charge of our safety. I am sure his police reforms will make all of us sleep better at night. Speaking of which, I am obliged to invite the SDF’s Chief of Central Command, General Richard Bronze, to speak on this first anniversary of the coup preceding our revolution.”

The general, who looks much younger than could be expected from his high position, goes up on the stage and speaks in a clear yet firm tone.

“Citizens, Ministers and Members of Parliament; We have gathered here today to commemorate the brave and decisive actions of our soldiers, who, exactly one year ago, risked their own lives to stop the civil war and remove a corrupt and self-serving elite from power.

Since that day, I and the other officers of Central Command have undertaken a broad and deliberate operation to reform our Defence Force, removing the corruption left behind by the old regime and transforming it into an efficient, orderly and motivated force, ready to spring to our country’s defence at a moment’s notice. This has been aptly demonstrated by the professionalism on display by the soldiers policing the streets of our cities during the last few months.

You can rest assured that the SDF will stand with the people should they ever be in need again. We will not allow any prospective tyrants to seize power. We remain capable of overthrowing the government at any time, should it prove an obstacle to the people’s well-being.

Thank you for your attention. I won’t take up any more of your time on this day of celebration.”

The applause that follows his speech seems somehow muted, even perfunctory. The crowds only return to their prior cheer once Aurora, appearing confident and smiling defiantly, speaks again:

“If there is one thing in the General’s words that I can agree with wholeheartedly, it is that this is a day of celebration. There might be a lot left for us to do and a lot of obstacles in our way, but we have reached this far and I don’t see why we can’t reach farther still. Today is a reminder of that simple fact. So go and enjoy yourselves to the fullest! Celebrate what we already have and look forward to the brighter world of tomorrow! Long Live the Revolution!”

The crowd bursts into excited cheer of “Long Live the Revolution!” as her figure fades from view and the loud melody of Today, We Sing of Freedom fills the air once more. The crowds begin to sing, not having any difficulty in recalling the lyrics.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Forward Development Group will be contesting every city council election [with generic NPCs]. In addition, here are our mayoral candidates.

Amber:
Soo-min Rivlin (55) - Rail technician and sci-fi novelist.

Opal:
Sisay Cardoso (52) - Head of local Safe Place office, a charity dedicated to helping victims of human trafficking.

Peridot:
Kyra Petrov (41) - National park ranger, became Popular Resistance organizer after losing job due to Greene administration funding cuts.

Sapphire:
Amina Cook (47) - Daughter of former Opal police chief Mohammed Cook, a political martyr of the Vallstein regime. Professor of Bioelectromagnetics at Sirta Biotechnology Institute.

Topaz:
Omar Guo (61) - Sales manager of a major SDF contractor. Informant for the anti-Vallstein underground press during the Old Regime.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 13, 2018

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
The Community will also be contesting every city council election with generic NPCs. Here is the the list of our mayoral candidates:

Topaz:
Inner Fire (42) - former CLF soldier and veteran of the revolution

Opal:
Revlo Ansin (38) - former accountant, now helps run several soup kitchens in Opal

Peridot:
Thomas Ecklemore (50) - University Philosophy teacher, author of "Flesh to Silicon: Ramifications of Robotization"

Amber:
Unity (63) - Once was a wealthy stock trader, sold most of his possessions and became a Community preacher

Sapphire:
Marco Silvas (49) - Railyard worker, helped organize his coworkers to demand better compensation and fair treatment, jailed by the Vallstein regime

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
The Unity Coalition has a full slate of candidates available for detailing.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Michael Saint-Just, resident of Opal, joins the SRLF and hopes to gain a position in local government!

Greetings, my old comrades!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Welcome to the Party.

Would you like to run for city council, or mayor? We'll gladly slot you into either.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'd like to be mayor, if possible.

Running for mayor in Opal, Michael Saint-Just is a former national investigator turned underground militant and resistance coordinator. He did a lot to organize trading of information and supplies between the CLF and PR during the revolution, and considers the destruction of organized crime to be his main focus.

Excerpt from a speech given in Opal, an SDF outpost stands nearby:

"Friends, comrades, for too long have criminals kept a foul grip on our city. For too long have the boots of the police and the criminals, the same boots!, joined those of the dictators in stomping on your necks! Now is the time to cast them off! Now is the time for justice! If you decide to grant me the position of mayor, I promise you we will see these evil-doers thrown into prison, their ill gotten gains seized for you, the people! We will see honest work return to Opal, done by honest people unafraid to walk its streets! Vote for us, and justice will be done! Vote for us, and prosperity will return! Vote for us, and know you will be able to walk up to anyone and say 'I am from Opal, the greatest city on Sirta!'

SRLF rainbow banners unfurl and fly valiantly in the wind.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 14, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Done.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
The deadline for the end of the month, as well as for registering in the municipal elections, is extended until Monday - the 15th of January - at 8:30 UTC.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Officially posting this in-thread from the SIRTRAK committee room:

This is the priority map for Phase 1 repairs to the rail network. Lines and stations should be repaired up to at least partial (yellow) capacity in the following order: red zones are top priority, followed by blue, and finally purple. This should first get every single station connected to at least yellow capacity so nobody is isolated anymore, then focus on restoring Opal's network before moving on to less critical links.

As for the workers/contractors who will actually be executing this plan, the Ministry of Infrastructure has prepared a starting list of qualified engineers and workers to be hired as the core of the project, and in addition is opening further recruitment to any qualified unemployed personnel who would like to apply.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Official Orders Comrade Hill, Minister of Defense

Because of the rise of organized crime within Sirta, the Ministry of Defense has declared that all items and munitions used by the SDF must be inventoried to the most of the SDF's ability. This must be done to the greatest extent possible, criminals cannot be allowed to gain access to military fire power and if they have, we must know what has gone missing and track it down.

Furthermore, after the munitions have be inventoried some are to be sent to the NPF in order to help them better get up to the task of tackling crime on Sirta. To this end the Ministry of Defense will be starting interviews in order to decide what men will be going to help the police and to guard Parliament. The police need training and with the dissolving of the presidential guard our officials need to be protected.

After the inventory is done the construction and expansion of orbital infrastructure will begin. Shipyards, orbital defenses and habitats shall be constructed by the SDF. Sirta's orbit must be defended and a space fleet must be made if we are to protect our borders.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Hey AFQM, could we get a brief overview of what Sirta's climate and biosphere (if it has one) look like? It's not super pressing or anything but everyone seems to have a different idea of where we're living.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
The deadline for the end of the month and municipal elections registration is extended again, this time until Tuesday - the 16th of January - at 8:30 UTC.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
On the 24th of May, the Guardian Council issues a press release:

"After a brief period of deliberation, we have decided to confirm all of the Minister of Interior's nominees for the Property Appropriation Committee. The vote was unanimous with two abstentions.

The mater of property appropriation can be a sensitive and divisive issue at times. We agree with the Minister's judgement - a wide variety of viewpoints on the process must be considered when weighing requests and determining compensation amounts.

We have every confidence that the newly-appointed members of the Committee will give due consideration to every delicate aspect of the requests that come before them."

The first task that stands before the new committee is determining what compensation is owed to the businesses and individuals that haven't voluntarily handed over their property to the newly-established Panorama Regional Government. According to the PAP Act, their property can't be appropriated until the PRG pays out this compensation in full to all the relevant parties, in accordance with the committee's decision.

Since tatankatonk is the only player on the committee, this and all future decisions will be made through Discord direct messages. I will post any decisions reached, as well as the transcripts of the meetings themselves.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Municipal Elections:

The 2nd of June 3062 is the date picked for the municipal elections taking place in Opal, Topaz, Sapphire, Amber and Peridot. Since the role of local government is left highly ambiguous in the constitution, the elected governments will likely be the ones that form the basic structures of the municipal governments’ powers and responsibilities in each city.

All of the parties represented in Parliament, save for DAL, KNK, the UCS and the anemic verumMediae are fielding candidates in all of the cities. In addition, some local parties were created just before the elections.

The City Council elections work exactly the same as Parliamentary elections, including counting the members of the party residing in that city as votes.

The Mayoral elections work in a Single Transferable Vote system – all voters, including the candidates themselves, must present a ranked list of all candidates, from most preferred to least preferred. If no candidate gains a majority of first place votes, the candidate with the least amount of votes gets removed and the votes of their voters’ go to the candidates placed second on their lists. The process continues until a candidate gains an outright majority of votes.

Only the residents of each city may vote in its’ elections. If you are reading this thread without having participated yet, now is a great time to jump into one of these cities and start voting. The municipal elections will last until Friday – the 19th of January – at 12:30 UTC. The drafting phase for June begins now and will last until the same time on Sunday - the 21st of January.

Opal:

Mayoral Candidates:

* [SRLF] Michael Saint-Just (paragon1) - Former national investigator turned underground militant and resistance coordinator.

* [Dawn] Cynthia Grimmet (26) – Popular Resistance activist, heavily involved in organizing and leading the protests in Opal.

* [FDG] Sisay Cardoso (52) - Head of the local Safe Place office, a charity dedicated to helping victims of human trafficking.

* [Unity Coalition] Harold Matteson (35) – Populist.

* [The Community] Revlo Ansin (38) - Former accountant, now helps run several soup kitchens in Opal.

* [FSP] Agnes Cash (57) – Opal City Councilor during the Vallstein administration.

* [Independent] Claudia Barnes (32) – Theater actress, unpaid contributor to the post-revolution weekly political magazine “Hope Watchers”. Runs on a platform of turning Opal into a community conscious city based on mutual reliance.

Local Parties: None.

Topaz:

Mayoral Candidates:

* [SRLF] Conrad (ThatBasqueGuy) - ???

* [Dawn] Isabella Correia (24) – Popular Resistance activist, was among the leaders of many protests, even after being nearly beaten to death in a confrontation with the PSF.

* [FDG] Omar Guo (61) - Sales manager of a major SDF contractor. Informant for the anti-Vallstein underground press during the Old Regime.

* [Unity Coalition] Waneta Lambert (35) – Populist.

* [The Community] Inner Fire (42) - former CLF soldier and veteran of the revolution.

* [FSP] Mark Broughton (61) – Former Topaz Mayor, resigned in unclear circumstances after Greene’s assent to power.

* [Independent] Mia Robertson (39) – Prolific romance fiction author. Runs on a platform of devolving local rule to each neighborhood.

Sapphire:

Mayoral Candidates:

* [SRLF] Albert Hammon (44) - Former lab technician, activist and political prisoner.

* [Dawn] Alaine Couet (30) – Popular Resistance activist, author of the best-selling book Tunnel’s End which details her experiences leading up to and shortly after the revolution.

* [FDG] Amina Cook (47) - Daughter of former Opal police chief Mohammed Cook, a political martyr of the Vallstein regime. Professor of Bioelectromagnetics at Sirta Biotechnology Institute.

* [Unity Coalition] Walter Noe (35) – Populist.

* [The Community] Marco Silvas (49) - Railyard worker, helped organize his coworkers to demand better compensation and fair treatment, jailed by the Vallstein regime.

* [FSP] Joseph Stevens (64) – CEO of Extraordinary Devices, a weapon manufacturer.

* [Restoration] Professor Melanie Bak (67) – Well known researcher in the fields of Protein Design and Genetic Engineering.

Local Parties: Restoration – A party that aims to make Sapphire the center of a restored Sirtan biotechnology industry.

Amber:

Mayoral Candidates:

* [SRLF] Nicole Tullia (37) - Community organizer.

* [Dawn] Tracy Herring (27) – Popular Resistance activist, runs a local charity dedicated to helping the orphans of those killed by the regime.

* [FDG] Soo-min Rivlin (55) - Rail technician and sci-fi novelist.

* [Unity Coalition] Lynda Curtis (35) – Populist.

* [The Community] Unity (63) - Once was a wealthy stock trader, sold most of his possessions and became a Community preacher.

* [FSP] Carol Downey (68) – Owner of Vital Media, a failing SCN entertainment company.

Local Parties:

* Industrial Resurgence Party – A party intent on revitalizing Amber’s manufacturing and research sectors. Endorses Soo-min Rivlin for Mayor.

* Social Liberation List – The political wing of a fringe cultural movement advocating the removal of all interpersonal boundaries in society and turning Amber (and eventually, Sirta) into “one big family”. It’s members are known to hold long personal conversations with random strangers on the street and for going to extraordinary lengths to help people in need. Endorses Tracy Herring for Mayor.

Peridot:

Mayoral Candidates:

* [SRLF] Elijah Theodotos (66) - Former professor of economics.

* [Dawn] Cheryl Ruiz (40) – Former political prisoner.

* [FDG] Kyra Petrov (41) - National park ranger, became Popular Resistance organizer after losing job due to Greene administration funding cuts.

* [Unity Coalition] David Brown (35) – Populist.

* [The Community] Thomas Ecklemore (50) - University Philosophy teacher, author of "Flesh to Silicon: Ramifications of Robotization".

* [FSP] Myrtle Franklin (52) – Wealthy landlord.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 16, 2018

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Danube, Minister of Interior

My ballot in Opal:

1. [FDG] Sisay Cardoso
2. [Dawn] Cynthia Grimmet
3. [Independent] Claudia Barnes
4. [SRLF] Michael Saint-Just
5. [Unity Coalition] Harold Matteson
6. [FSP] Agnes Cash
7. [The Community] Revlo Ansin

In addition, I'm voting FDG for city council.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 17, 2018

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Comrade Radek
Minister of Security

Excerpted from a speech delivered in Topaz, one of several delivered across Sirta during the election season

quote:

And so my friends who have been so gracious as to come out to show their support today, let me remind you what we've been able to accomplish in only a few short months. We've swept away the corrupt and oppressive police, replacing them with genuine public servants who are there for your protection! We've started to rebuild the transit links that bind our nation together, soon ensuring that vital food and goods will be able to speed their way wherever needed across our great land! Every day we work to construct a system that will give you, the people, the tools you need to resist the next Vallestein or the next Greene - to resist any who would see you their slave, be the chains iron or gold! A new day for a new Sirta!

But we cannot do it alone. That is why I am calling upon you all to elect people here at the local who will be willing to work with your national government hand in hand to achieve the future you so richly deserve. This is our time, this is our moment, this is our opportunity to build a lasting society of equality and prosperity for all its citizens!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Rutherford Vanderbush, Minister of Foreign Affairs

My ballot in Topaz

* [FDG] Omar Guo
* [Dawn] Isabella Correia
* [FSP] Mark Broughton
* [Unity Coalition] Waneta Lambert
* [SRLF] Conrad (ThatBasqueGuy)
* [The Community] Inner Fire
* [Independent] Mia Robertson

I'll be voting for the FDG in the City Council elections.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 16, 2018

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
The Freedom and Stability Party issues an unexpected press release on the 30th of May 3062:

"It is with great sadness and surprise that we must announce the death of Micheal Janstin in the early hours of the morning from an undiagnosned chronic illness. He was a dignified and irreplaceable leader to both our party and the broader opposition, as well as a great inspiration to us all. He will be sorely missed. May he rest in peace, knowing that we shall carry on his vision of a freer and more stable Sirta. His funeral will take place tomorrow at noon. As Micheal would have wanted, we will not let his death discourage us from making strides towards bringing his vision into reality. Let the upcoming elections be the first step we take towards that lofty goal without his invaluable guidance."

So, player nothingtoseehere has announced that they are dropping out from the game. In their character's place, a new character will get to enter into Parliament (in-narrative, the fourth person on the FSP's list). I would not do this ordinarily, but since he was Leader of the Opposition and his own party is Leader Oriented, I am going to make an exception - I am willing to hand over control over this new character to any new player. Any player that doesn't already have a character in the game may present a new character, and so long as they fit reasonably well with the nature of the existing FSP, I am going to hand them control of the entire party and likely the position of Leader of Opposition as well, unless unwantedplatypus or CourValant make a spectacular argument to convince me otherwise. You have until the end of the municipal elections to present an appropriate character, and I will select the one I like best. If no one comes forward, I will control the party myself.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 16, 2018

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Michael Saint-Just in Opal votes SRLF for city council

For mayor:
1.[SRLF] Michael Saint-Just
2.[Dawn] Cynthia Grimmet
3.[Independent] Claudia Barnes
4.[Unity Coalition] Harold Matteson
5..[The Community] Revlo Ansin
6,.[FDG] Sisay Cardoso
7. [FSP] Agnes Cash

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 17, 2018

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Amnesty, Member of Parliament votes for The Community for city council in Opal

for Mayor

1) Revlo Ansin (The Community)
2) Claudia Barnes (Independent)
3) Cynthia Grimmet (Dawn)
4) Michael Saint-Just (SRLF)
5) Harold Matteson (Unity Coalition)
6) Sisay Cardoso (FDG)
7) Agnes Cash (FSP)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Emily van den Haag votes SRLF for city council in Topaz

* [FDG] Omar Guo
* [FSP] Mark Broughton

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Emily van den Haag votes SRLF for city council in Topaz

* [FDG] Omar Guo
* [FSP] Mark Broughton

I'd like to shake your hand comrade, and certainly invite you to join our party chat on discord should you so choose. Link should be in the OP.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Michael Saint-Just's campaign consisted of first identifying the parts of the population likely to place him halfway up or higher in their voting list, and then making sure those who do not have easy SCN access will have transport and protection to safe places to vote. These refuges are also open to anyone who fears retaliation from those who might disagree with their choice of candidate. That work done, he spent the rest of his campaign making a personal tour of Opal's public and semi-public places, encouraging the people he meets to vote for him, sometime's explaining SRLF's platform, sometimes debating with those who disagree, and often giving a brief stump speech where people seem interested. This tour culminated in a speech to a crowd gathered out in front of Opal's shutdown university.

"Friends, comrades, citizens, thank you for being here. I stand here before you in front of a monument to the depths to which our city has sunk. A shutdown university, of value to no one except those desperate enough to use an abandoned classroom as a roof over their heads. A battleground for the gangs and cartels that have so thoroughly poisoned our society. During my time campaigning, I've often been asked two questions. The first is why I so often campaign on the eradication of crime in our society when my party prefers to focus on other things? The second is "What the hell happened to your arm man?" At this, Saint-Just takes off his coat to show the extent of his cybernetic prosthetic, which consists of his entire left arm and parts of his upper torso. After ensuring everyone gets a good enough look, he puts the coat back on. "Pretty nasty, right? The answer to both questions is the same comrades. It's personal. Deeply personal. Just like every crime one person in Sirta visits on another. Some will try to brush away the personal awfulness of those crimes. I'm sure you've all heard the common excuses, 'It's just business. It's just politics.' and on and on. And I know you all know that that's a giant pile of bullshit. So let me tell you how I got my arm."

"I became a national investigator somewhat late into Vallstein's regime. Oh yes! What you've read is true! The militant regime hater used to be part of that very same regime! I was a foolish young man who believed that it didn't matter if the people around me were corrupt. If the government was corrupt. I believed that so long as I did my job honestly and well, that justice would be served. I couldn't have been more wrong, and many people tried to tell me just how wrong I was. I didn't get the message until about a year into the job, when a cartel goon tried to put me in the ground for asking the wrong questions. I somehow survived. My career didn't. It wasn't long after that I joined what was becoming known as the popular resistance, and some very good friends showed me the way."

"Those same criminals, inside the regime and out, the ones responsible for this he points at his own arm and this he waves to the university building, for the mangling of our great city. They still walk among us. They believe that they are untouchable, that they'll be able to go right back to how things were soon enough. Only you can change that, and you can start by voting for the SRLF."

"So you may ask yourselves, why the SRLF then? Why not one of the parties that run on law and order, or some of our friends who favor more direct action? Because you must ask not just ask where these criminals come from, or how we can stop them, or we'll just find ourselves back here in just another few decades, fighting the same fights. You must ask why these criminals exist. Only the SRLF has truly answered the question, has truly sought to strike at the root of corruption. Criminality originates from capitalism. It is that simple. Ambitious, violent men see that wealth has been hoarded and denied to us all, and they think 'Why not me?' So they take it by any means, in total disregard of the law."

"So I ask that you join with me, as comrades and citizens, in voting to strike at criminality, root and branch. Vote for the SRLF, and see your city made safe! Vote for the SRLF, and see your city made whole, your university reopened! Vote for the SRLF, and see honesty and prosperity return to your city! Vote for the SRLF, and see those who would disregard the law for their own gain put in chains, whatever they might call themselves to excuse their crimes! Vote for the SRLF to see true justice done!

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 18, 2018

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Conrad Tokyo votes SRLF for city council in Topaz

* [FDG] Omar Guo
* [FSP] Mark Broughton

Bio: A 27 year old veteran labor organizer, Conrad spent most of the late Greene administration cycling between helping to seed new unions in Topaz, the streets, and jail. Freshly out, he seeks to bring together all in Topaz in common prosperity.
Platform: Progressive taxation, targeted welfare and community relief programs, local infrastructure, and experimental community and workplace organization.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

From a speech given at the University Rally in Opal

"I will be brief, for Comrade Saint-Just has arrived directly at the very heart of the matter in a most admirable fashion. The SRLF is not here to restore things to the way they were before the dictator, as so many of the other parties wish. That way was broken! That way was rigged! That way was indeed servitude, the chains of gold I have so often referred to! The SRLF does not wish to return to this stagnant past, but rather to push forward to a new and prosperous future! We are even now working to the best of our abilities to do so nationally, but we need your help. Vote for Comrade Saint-Just! Vote for the SRLF candidates for Council, and every other office we contest! Let us join hands in this great effort to push forward as one Sirtan society, united in our desires for a future that works for the many, not the few!"

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Rutherford Vanderbush, Citizen Seat

At the groundbreaking for the Vanderbush Center for Engineering and Material Sciences at the Charlotte Pierro Memorial University

"...and in conclusion, I believe that the VCEMS will enable the teachers and students of CPMU to not just regain the heights that were lost to the mismanagement of the Greene administration, but to far surpass them. Truly, I am honored to have been able to make this contribution to our fine city.

Unfortunately, I have been informed that the reporters in our audience will be going home quite unsatisfied if I do not comment on the upcoming elections, so I ask that you bear with me as I take this opportunity to humor them with a few words. Please do not allow this unfortunate intrusion of politics to taint your memories of this tremendous day. Several months ago, the SRLF, after spending a great deal of time stressing the importance of local governance, attempted to unilaterally impose a radical reformation of all such governments, and opposed the Self-Determination Act to allow our cities to decide for themselves how they should organize. As you all know, the Self-Determination Act passed without their support, and a month ago, we held the referendum, and you, my fellow citizens, decided that the traditional system of representative democracy was the proper way forward--a belief that I myself share.

Now, election season has come to us once more, and the SRLF has campaigned heavily for your favor. They condemn the old systems as irredeemably broken, and declare that now is the time not merely for change, but for radical change. In Sard, which chose to try their new system of People's Assemblies, their immediate proposal was the immediate abolishment of all private property, with any compensation being nebulously defined at best. When Parliament expressed its concerns over this measure, they resisted any attempt to create guidelines as to how such a thing should be carried out. Their candidate for mayorship has declared his intent to impose 'experimental' forms of community organization, with little provided in the way of detail. The SRLF, it must be said, does not content itself with small promises.

This is, in my frank opinion, because they know no other way to approach a problem then to rip it out wholesale and replace it entirely, with a solution that they promise, based on no particular evidence but their own convictions, will face no issues. If something does not fit into their preconceived worldview, they cannot concede that it could work. Yes, the Greene years--and the Vallstein Administration--were bad. Clearly, the rot had been allowed to set in. But Topaz persevered. When Vallstein favored biotechnology over our own industries, we continued to innovate. When unions--which the SRLF now seems to believe inadequate--were stamped out around much of the rest of Sirta, the industries of Topaz continued to work with these organizations to ensure prosperity for all--and I take particular pride in having participated in these negotiations from the industry side, and in pushing my partners in industry to accept a better deal for the workers. Now, the SRLF would have us ignore that history, declare it insufficient, and charge blindly into an unproven future to satisfy their own ideology. Now, when we have the chance to use our knowledge and experience to fix the flaws we have observed, to patch the holes, to replace the parts that are worn down, and to make the system work to the capacity that we know it can, they would have us throw it away. I cannot accept that. I firmly believe that it can be made to work. I believe that if any city has the commitment to make it work, it is Topaz and its citizens. And I believe that Omar Guo is the man for the job, and that the FDG are more than up to the task of ensuring prosperity for the people of Topaz.

That went on rather longer than I expected, but I hope you can all see that I speak on this matter with true conviction. Thank you, Topaz, for your patience just now, and for far more than that. There is no thanks I could possibly give that would match up to all that you have done to help me to achieve and accomplish. But today, with the VCEMS, I hope to at least make a start. Again, thank you.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Excerpt from a rally held by mayoral candidate Unity

...yes indeed I saw the corruption and graft held at the top of society. Each and every day I was confronted with the wealth that the elites and the old regime stole from the Sirtan people. I saw the moral and personal degradation that befell our citizens. The pleasant lies of upward mobility, of nationalistic unity, are mere distractions in the face of massive wealth inequality and moral decadence that grips our society. Brothers and Sisters, I ask that you assist me, I plead with you as a peer, as a friend, as a member of our Sirtan community. We must come against this filth like a tidal wave. A wave of honesty and virtue that will sweep aside the muck of yesteryear, and deliver us towards a new era of prosperity and love.

Look not upon someone's experience, their outward demeanor. Ask not their net worth, their generous vanities. Desire not their power or positions. Rather, look at the inner character of our leaders. For our mayor, choose a candidate who is pure in spirit, and in deed. And, brothers and sisters, I ask that you make your voices heard in the homes, in the streets, on the soap box, and in the ballot box.

Thank you, each and every one of you. Be excellent, and be kind.

unwantedplatypus fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 18, 2018

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Expected Government Income and Expenses for June 3062:

All amounts listed are in millions of New Sirtan Credits.

Items that are one-time only (aren’t recurring on a monthly basis) are marked with square brackets.

Income Breakdown: Entries are listed in the “income source – income amount – algorithmically estimated loss from tax evasion and other relevant forms of crime” format.

Meaning that, in a crime free world, you would have both of them combined.

* Income tax, bottom bracket – 75 – 20

* Income tax, lower middle bracket – 86 – 17

* Income tax, upper middle bracket – 100 – 7

* Income tax, top bracket – 148 – at least 120

* Sales tax – 60 – 25

* Personal Vehicle Tax – 13 – 12

* Legal Addictive Substances Tax – 0.4 – 3.8

* Corporate Tax – 97 – too many factors for remotely accurate estimation, but at least 50

* Foreign Aid – 13 – 0.8

* Trade Tariffs – 14 – 9.7

* [Outstanding Tax Payments – 17 – at least 80, likely much more]

* [Punitive Fees for Tax Evasion – 3 – 0]

* [Government Bond Purchases – 3 – 0]

* Other Sources – 1.9 – 1.1

Overall Income: 631.3

Expenses:

Extra-Budgetary:

* [Municipal Elections – 3]

Leftover Income: 628.3

Budgetary:

* Prime Minister’s Office – 6

* Ministry of Justice – 75.40 (12% of income)

* Ministry of Defence – 69.12 (11% of income)

* Ministry of Internal Security – 84.82 (13.5% of income)

* Ministry of Foreign Affairs – 20.42 (3.25% of income)

* Ministry of Interior – 36.13 (5.75% of income)

* Ministry of Finance – 61.26 (9.75% of income)

* Ministry of Education – 67.54 (10.75% of income)

* Ministry of Infrastructure – 87.96 (14% of income)

* Ministry of Health – 69.12 (11% of income)

* Office of the Attorney General – 4

* Sirtan Budgetary Office – 1.2

* Regular Court System – 17

* Truth and Reconciliation Commission - 4

* Parliament – 10

* Guardian Council – 8

* Government Bond Payments - 4

* Other Expenses – 2

* Emergency Fund – 0.35 (total – 6.83)

Overall Expenses: 631.3

Remaining: 0

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 18, 2018

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
After months of wide-ranging recruitment programs, thorough training, administrative efforts and organizational work, the New Sirtan Police and New Federal Police are finally ready for regular operation. Already, NSP officers can be seen patrolling the streets of the cities, in addition to the SDF soldiers who are expected to leave by the end of the month. Their uniforms are a welcome sight to many citizens, who hope that the NSP's "new attitude" towards organized crime will make them a bit safer. However, while the NSP and NFP are filled to the brim with motivated officers, they lack experience in the field, with some analysts speculating that they would be easily outmaneuvered and overwhelmed by the veteran criminal establishments.
The NFP in particular has been criticized for "valuing revolutionary spirit above actual capability", and the dismal track record of the former Investigative Agency certainly doesn't help their public image.

Regardless, policing has fundamentally changed in Sirta. Considering it's prior state, this change is guaranteed to be for the better. The only question left to answer is - how much better? Can these new organizations really do what their predecessors couldn't even come close to achieving in the past 38 years since Sirta's independence?

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 18, 2018

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

The updated education budget aka We Could Have Education Fully Funded If The Rich Paid Their Fair Share of Taxes budget:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Comrade Radek
Minister of Security

A proposal for debate and discussion.

The Parliamentary Confirmation Act

Whereas, many critical nominations are now being decided by committees comprised of members of the bodies so involved
Whereas, the larger parliamentary body, duly elected and empowered by the people, is thus frozen out of the process
Whereas, the discussions surrounding these nominations deserves the transparency and discussion accordant with their importance

Let it be resolved,

Instead of directly and independsntly confirming, all Special Committees may submit names to the Parliament at large for discussion and confirmation.

I have been informed that this must be an amendment, so let it be so. These appointments should be agreed upon by 41, not 3.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 18, 2018

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

From a speech given at the University Rally in Opal

"...And now, to answer some criticisms. Apparently I and the SLRF are tyranny incarnate! That we would take away your freedoms of choice and leave you no better than under Vallstein or Greene. The premise is so preposterous, but it is true that we are taking away power: Power from heirarchy, power from exploitation of the land and of your labor. Through my direct efforts we have a government commitment to fully fund all education, including the trades within 5 years. We have already established one new CEC and have all of the trade schools fully funded. We would have more done, like re-establish the university here, but it seems those who make those claims of us being tyrannical should be far more focused on filing their tax returns, for it is the richest of Sirtans who are failing to provide their fair share compared to all of you. Your freedom to educate yourselves without paying an arm and a leg is due to those who took too much to begin with and now don't feel like sharing. Or your freedom from starvation and homelessness. This is why you should Comrade Saint-Just, to be a strong advocate for you until you can advocate with Comrade Saint-Just together.

We, also in our "tyrannical governance", have pushed for the people to rule themselves at the local level directly. In your democratic rights you have rejected such a model for now - but you made the choice, and that is what was of most importance to me and the other fine members who voted on the law. I wish I could see more of that in our governance at the national level. It is of my belief and that of the SLRF that any military force created for our nation must be inferior to the People of Sirta and it's representatives in Parliament. I ask all of you simply for vigilance and be protective of your rights. If you are looking to be vigilant for others as well, then I ask that you go bother my old friend Comrade Radek skulking behind the curtains over here, who's program is just about to start...."

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Denver Axo

Excerpts from remarks delivered on May 29th, as part of an Opal speaking tour promoting tourism in and emigration to Panorama

It is true that there are kind members of the master class, good souls among the bosses. The esteemed Foreign Minister is one. While others reveled in the misery of their workers, he nobly defended the vulnerable as best he could in a system that preys on the weak and wounded. I serve with another on my government Committee -- an AMR, made for the cold calculations of business and profit. Nonetheless, he tore himself from the brutish world of finance to serve the people with a sober and wise mind. Yes, there are good masters! But there can never be a good master class! They stand for one thing, and the mass of people stand for another.

What does the SRLF stand for? It is true that we are radicals, that we are committed to a new vision of society. A society that is orderly, just, and free. No SLRF member will or could deny this. But what is radical about our politics and our vision? For the first time in Sirtan history, there is a movement of the people, by the people -- no longer content to be the tools of rulers, generals, bureaucrats, priests, or gangsters. Therefore, we should never ask 'What does the SRLF want', but 'What do the people want?' We are radical in the sense that our platform is constituted entirely of the things that the people desire, the things that make up a good life, the things formerly denied us by a ruling class in the name of their god. Their god has had many names over the years: the divine right of monarchs; security; the market; contracts; private property; capital. All names for the same thing, the same instinct to hierarchy, the same instinct to rule over us, the same instinct to divide society into the laborer and the one who directs the labor and lives well off the poverty of the laborer. This is the force that the SRLF opposes, the god we seek to overthrow in the name of human freedom!

What does the SRLF stand for? It stands for order! You, the people of Opal, live under a tyranny of gangs and gangster capitalists -- anarchists and thugs who wish only to drag us back into the primitive law of the jungle, into the pure hell of natural anarchy, where the strong do what they like and the weak suffer what they must. Their influence extended even into the highest reaches of the government, into the courts, into the political parties, until the face of the gangster and the forces of the politician blurred into one. No more! Never again! You want order, a life free from crime, free of corruption, free of anarchy and the savagery of the jungle. You want a society of laws, of calm, of peace, of being able to walk down the street free of fear, to be able to not worry about your children falling into the hands of the criminal element. This is what the SRLF wants, too. Look no further than Michael Saint-Just, running for office in your city. If you want these things, this life of order and safety, look no further than this tireless foe of corruption and gangster anarchy. Vote for him, and drive a spear into the heart of the crime stalking our society!

What does the SRLF stand for? It stands for freedom! You, the people of Opal, live under a tyranny of bosses and creatures of the bosses. You work for a living, long hours and under the constant threat of unemployment. Yet when you put down your tools, by some sorcery the boss informs you that you do not own the fruit of your labor, that he owns what you made, that he decides what you make, that he decides what kind of life you live, what kind of life your children will live, what kind of freedoms you are able to enjoy. Never forget that when the boss says you are free and that he loves freedom, he means this peculiar kind of freedom - the kind where you may do whatever you please, as long as you don't cross him, as long as you don't forget your place, as long as you don't desire to change things! But what do you want? Do you want to determine how much you earn? Do you want to decide what you do, where you go, how you are addressed, how long you work, what kind of place you live in? Do you want to work less and enjoy life more? You want what everyone wants but what has heretofore only been available to the bosses: lives of peace, of freedom, of deciding to read poetry for nothing besides sheer enjoyment, to spend time with your families! To be free from want, to be free from hierarchy, free to choose, free to travel, free to live! This is what the SRLF wants, what it stands for - this kind of freedom, real freedom!

What does the SRLF stand for? It stands for democracy! You, the people of Opal, have lived under a cruel regime, a police state where you cannot vote, you cannot express your opinion, where you are not equal to the man with a gun, a title, or a factory! By the grace of God, Sirta has overthrown this regime and stepped boldly into a future with one blazing demand: Democracy! Now, forever, Democracy! Rule by the people, for the people! Where the lowest worker has the same input in her life, in her society, as the man with the gun, the title, or the factory. The SRLF represents the purest portion of this demand, for we will take Democracy into the places the regime barred in fear. Democracy in the family. Democracy in the workplace. Democracy in your neighborhood, on your block and in your shop. Civilian control of the military, of the police, of the economy. We are no longer things to be acted upon, but people, acting in our name and our desires! This is what the SRLF stands for -- Democracy! Freedom! Order!

In the elections, vote for what you truly want. Vote for dreams and more than you are used to, more than you think you are capable of. All of Sirta, all of society, all of us have been dreaming, trapped in a nightmare. Now the people have woken up, and for the first time they speak in their own voice.

Let me tell you of my home, Panorama, where we have heard that voice...

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 19, 2018