Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no that's still quite polite. the cruel and nasty thing to do is to never send the rejection.

i mean you can ask again but i wouldn't expect to hear anything

i don't think i'm going to bother, but to me once you've tried to position yourself as doing more than the bare minimum, I'm going to judge you more harshly than if you had just gone silent. does that make me crazy? possibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you have negotiate pay before agreeing to do it

well i don't really owe them anything. and it seems like code they actually need.

i might demonstrate it working and send them a gif to dangle the carrot

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Emacs Headroom posted:

i've reviewed a shitload of take-homes in my day, and if one I assigned was on the too-long side, I'd appreciate the candid feedback (and the fact that you went ahead and did it anyways) more than I would be impressed by a candidate lowballing their self-reported time estimate. if you can get poo poo done and be honest that's pretty valuable

am I the only person getting actual work as "coding challenges"? 2 or 3 times they have been actually solving tickets of active projects.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

am I the only person getting actual work as "coding challenges"? 2 or 3 times they have been actually solving tickets of active projects.

who are these companies? name and shame

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

never put anything on glassdoor

it can only hurt you

Lol gently caress that. If they really are a bunch of cunts and you care a lot then wait a month and upload. As if they'll ever know as long as you're not ultra specific.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

qhat posted:

Lol gently caress that. If they really are a bunch of cunts and you care a lot then wait a month and upload. As if they'll ever know as long as you're not ultra specific.

sadly the stuff that's annoying tends to BE ultra specific

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

maskenfreiheit posted:

sadly the stuff that's annoying tends to BE ultra specific

Not always. If they're being very unprofessional with you then chances are someone else will have the same complaint. Post at your own risk!

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

qhat posted:

Not always. If they're being very unprofessional with you then chances are someone else will have the same complaint. Post at your own risk!

post away IMO

companies you're applying to aren't about to dig through glass door and try to de-anonymize posts; that's ridiculous. even outspoken drama-trolls like michael o church had to relentlessly make absurd and self-aggrandizing complaints about like 3 companies in a row over a span of years (getting banned from hacker news in the process) before he finally made himself famous enough to be radioactive

Emacs Headroom fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 14, 2018

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Emacs Headroom posted:

post away IMO

companies you're applying to aren't about to dig through glass door and try to de-anonymize posts; that's ridiculous. even outspoken drama-trolls like michael o church had to relentlessly make absurd and self-aggrandizing complaints about like 3 companies in a row (getting banned from hacker news in the process) before he finally made himself famous enough to be radioactive

i think you underestimate the ability of butthurt hr types at small to mid sized companies to get butthurt someone they can't currently retaliate against has increased the hurt in their butt

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

i think you underestimate the ability of butthurt hr types at small to mid sized companies to get butthurt someone they can't currently retaliate against has increased the hurt in their butt

I promise that once you're gone they won't GAF. not only that but hr people are told by legal not to slander ex-employees

good recruiters and good managers do backchannel to each other (if they're in the same social network / same city), so if you're causing an actual problem like sexually harassing people, or punching a client or something, it could potentially get back to you. but they're really, really not going to dig through glass loving door to try to figure out who you are and retaliate.

ive seen people fired for really egregious stuff (like getting into fistfights at work) and come back with >5 offers a little while later after getting their poo poo together. as long as you're not shittalking your ex-employer during your interview, it's never gonna come up

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

PleasureKevin posted:

in the late 90s instead of a “coding challenge” I just did a couple weeks of paid, remote contract work for a company, it worked out great and I made some cash and got a permanent offer (including relocation) at the end

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Emacs Headroom posted:

I promise that once you're gone they won't GAF. not only that but hr people are told by legal not to slander ex-employees

good recruiters and good managers do backchannel to each other (if they're in the same social network / same city), so if you're causing an actual problem like sexually harassing people, or punching a client or something, it could potentially get back to you. but they're really, really not going to dig through glass loving door to try to figure out who you are and retaliate.

ive seen people fired for really egregious stuff (like getting into fistfights at work) and come back with >5 offers a little while later after getting their poo poo together. as long as you're not shittalking your ex-employer during your interview, it's never gonna come up

my threat model is more the hr person remembers me and if we cross paths again DEFFO doesn't hire me / badmouths me to collegues rather than a current employer retaliating

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

maskenfreiheit posted:

we’ve seen repeatedly that, even in well-capitalized startups and established large companies in SV, HR sometimes works for the founders, the managers, or themselves more than they work for the company

properly functioning HR would listen when properly functioning legal tells them not to slander an ex-employee

at a company like Uber, you’d have legal figuring out strategies so HR could get away with it explicitly because a manager wanted to retaliate

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Emacs Headroom posted:

it's a small, small, small world. poo poo gets around. and hr staff definitely watch glassdoor

contributing to glassdoor gets you nothing, and it can potentially hurt you. the safe and sane choice is to not leave snippy notes on a public website

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's a small, small, small world. poo poo gets around. and hr staff definitely watch glassdoor

contributing to glassdoor gets you nothing, and it can potentially hurt you. the safe and sane choice is to not leave snippy notes on a public website

yeah, instead you just add everyone involved to your mental blacklist and shitcan their chances of working anywhere you do next time you're making hiring decisions and they cross your path

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

You're some pretty bitter and delusional nerds if you think this is how normal people's brains work. Lol.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Oh no the geeky software developer said a bad thing about the company, let me just remember their name for the rest of my life so I can gently caress over their careers.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

qhat posted:

Oh no the geeky software developer said a bad thing about the company, let me just remember their name for the rest of my life so I can gently caress over their careers.

yes this is what narcissists (which a large chunk of dysfunctional HR/management are) do

think “what would Michael Scott do”

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

you are so incredibly bad at these things i am astounded you remain employed

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
anyway, don’t do homework assignments that are real work. it should be something that shows your skill but also something obviously worthless or that has already been solved.

don’t do any homework assignments that take more than an hour. two tops if you’re *really* interested.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you are so incredibly bad at these things i am astounded you remain employed

Don't quote bad workmate stymie

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

qhat posted:

You're some pretty bitter and delusional nerds if you think this is how normal people's brains work. Lol.

this times a million. nobody gives a poo poo about you or your snarky takedown of the product culture at pointless seed-round start up xyz on glassdoor

hr are more worried about being fired tomorrow since they're first to go if funding is an issue (maybe second if theres a sales or marketing team), or they're putting out some sexual harassment fire.

they look at glass door, but they're not gonna remember who you are 2 days after you leave, make that 2 minutes if you've been rejected for a job. unless you post something vitriolic with your name on it on medium, and it gets traction, they will have no clue who you are and won't care. anyone that does care (maybe obsessed founder?) is obviously so devoid of work or meaning that they are on a trajectory to obscure failure, so there's no reason to give them a second thought

if you don't want to write something up, don't, we don't give a poo poo either. but it's paranoid and delusional to think it's gonna get back to you

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Emacs Headroom posted:

if you don't want to write something up, don't, we don't give a poo poo either. but it's paranoid and delusional to think it's gonna get back to you

paranoia is a healthy reflex in corporate america. everything can get back to you

it can never, ever, ever help you to have spurt your dumb goop into the world on glassdoor. and it could, in a land of sufficiently paranoid fantasy, hurt you

stay the gently caress away from things with 0 upside and non-0 downside

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

paranoia is a healthy reflex in corporate america. everything can get back to you

it can never, ever, ever help you to have spurt your dumb goop into the world on glassdoor. and it could, in a land of sufficiently paranoid fantasy, hurt you

Pascal’s wager lives

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

maskenfreiheit posted:

Pascal’s wager lives

pascal's wager was a joke, a naked jape at atheists denying the obvious

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pascal's wager was a joke, a naked jape at atheists denying the obvious

there is only one true god and his name is allah?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah i don't know why this is controversial. blasting someone on glassdoor probably isn't going to hurt you, but it definitely isn't going to help you so why bother?

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

jony neuemonic posted:

yeah i don't know why this is controversial. blasting someone on glassdoor probably isn't going to hurt you, but it definitely isn't going to help you so why bother?

because it might help other people deciding where to work? you don't have to be a total mercenary all the time

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Emacs Headroom posted:

who are these companies? name and shame

Modus and Kleros for a start

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The whole point of glassdoor is to identify the good companies from the cowboys, and it's really useful in that regard. It's useless if nobody ever posts negative critique because they are scared some HR type is going to go all Sherlock on their post. If you don't want to post then don't, who cares. It's nice to let the general public know who are the cunts and who aren't though.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Emacs Headroom posted:

because it might help other people deciding where to work? you don't have to be a total mercenary all the time

i just don’t find it useful, i guess. between the hr plants, and no way of knowing if you and random anonymous reviewer #7 want the same things out of a job i haven’t seen much reason to put any stock in it. even the worst companies i’ve worked at manage to keep around 4/5 stars there.

salary info is handy though.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

The whole point of glassdoor is to identify the good companies from the cowboys, and it's really useful in that regard. It's useless if nobody ever posts negative critique because they are scared some HR type is going to go all Sherlock on their post. If you don't want to post then don't, who cares. It's nice to let the general public know who are the cunts and who aren't though.

only clueless losers post on Glassdoor

this is not usually a helpful perspective on a company

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jony neuemonic posted:

i just don’t find it useful, i guess. between the hr plants, and no way of knowing if you and random anonymous reviewer #7 want the same things out of a job i haven’t seen much reason to put any stock in it. even the worst companies i’ve worked at manage to keep around 4/5 stars there.

salary info is handy though.

consistent with the clueless loser user base hypothesis,I have never made less than the maximum value posted to Glassdoor for my job

it is obvious that only idiots are using the site. as a result, salaries skew low

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Emacs Headroom posted:

you don't have to be a total mercenary all the time

im not sure you know how this game works, friend

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

only clueless losers post on Glassdoor

this is not usually a helpful perspective on a company

Lol. Okay.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

qhat posted:

The whole point of glassdoor is to identify the good companies from the cowboys,

speaking of that, reviewing my last employer is almost impossible because these kinds of websites want to attribute it to companies with a similar name. so i have a very scathing review out there of a company i've never worked for.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Glassdoor salary ranges skew low and yes they are mostly written by dummies but that’s because most people are dummies. a review by someone who is obviously not incompetent can be helpful.

lol at being afraid of posting something on Glassdoor. recruiters and HR don’t give a poo poo about you. they care about filling roles. they see thousands of people every week and they forget about you as soon as their business with you is over.

nobody is trolling Glassdoor reviews and matching it up against someone guy they saw a month ago or a former employee, and then keeping tabs on that person so they can gently caress them over in a future role. don’t be paranoid.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i am hoping to jump from $140k after tax to $230k after tax. wish me luck.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
good luck.

post your location / job title -- also how much is base vs. bonus vs stock? I'm at 260 base + 128k rsus in SF (just started new job)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Emacs Headroom posted:

good luck.

post your location / job title -- also how much is base vs. bonus vs stock? I'm at 260 base + 128k rsus in SF (just started new job)

this isn’t the us

current job is basically a fancy security janitor in energy field. hopeful job is a director (!) in a huge local managed service provider.

as u can guess nepotism is involved. i was having lunch at some relatives’ and one of them, a c level at that msp, came to me with the opportunity out of the blue. he was like “hey you are a techie right? we need someone to fill the role of director of xxxxx. whatsapp me ur resume”