Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

tyblazitar posted:

And finally, the "probably don't watch these runs even if you're interested in the games, they were pretty bad" list:

inFAMOUS First Light
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Secret of Evermore

LittleBigPlanet2 should be here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

get that OUT of my face posted:

but they shouldn't race it next time.

I understand the sentiment, but where is any of the excitement then? No one ever really shares the one sided races.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
That randomizer race ruled hard, so I don’t know what y’all are talking about.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Even outside of GDQ, LTTP rando is primarily run via races because that's how you get an apples-to-apples measure of your run. There isn't really anyone trying to individually grind out the world record or anything like that. Presenting a solo run of it at GDQ would be weird.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I think next time, they should have a solo rando run where somebody who's knowledgeable and can explain things well goes over things, so that future races can have something people can watch if they're not familiar.

That, or just get better announcers who can explain things. They weren't good.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

beep by grandpa posted:

I want to see how the donation rates looked during the (rando) run.
http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq18/ shows about $121k donated for LttP. Going backward: FF4 was $101k, Bloodborne was $83k, Dark Souls 3 was $144k which is when the anime prize opened up. Of course this isn't really a great way to measure things because donations during runs aren't necessarily for that run

Viewers: Bloodborne peaked at 203k, Dark Souls 3 at 183k, LttP 163k

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
What's the deal with the anime prize anyway? I'm not clear on whether it's a "$120 donated all at once" or "$120 donated throughout the marathon" thing yet. Or for that matter, on how they keep track on if you met the $150 minimum donation for the 8th generation bundle across the marathon.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

fishmech posted:

What's the deal with the anime prize anyway? I'm not clear on whether it's a "$120 donated all at once" or "$120 donated throughout the marathon" thing yet. Or for that matter, on how they keep track on if you met the $150 minimum donation for the 8th generation bundle across the marathon.

120 at once. The 150 one is total across, and they can track that based on donor and donation pages

https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/donors/agdq2018

https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/donations/agdq2018

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
That was the first rando I've watched and I thought the commentary was fun and informative and the race was super interesting. I'm actually really surprised to hear that apparently people didn't like it, everyone I was talking with in IRC was interested.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
given how hard a lot of runners have to work to get their one shot at a GDQ performance I would be kind of salty if rando just kind of got a pity second chance after a decidedly unimpressive showing but that's me having a stake in the internal politics of it all.

had your shot, blew it

try super metroid rando or something lol it's not like there's a shortage for kinds of randomizer

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

flatluigi posted:

That was the first rando I've watched and I thought the commentary was fun and informative and the race was super interesting. I'm actually really surprised to hear that apparently people didn't like it, everyone I was talking with in IRC was interested.

I know that rando was apparently a...uh..."controversial" subject beforehand, but as a casual who didn't grow up with a SNES/LTTP I had a lot of trouble even remotely following what was going on. Normally I love Pat as a commentator but the continual "Yep, that'll be super important and they'll have to come back for that :geno:" about every rupee drop/arrow upgrade/etc was confusing as poo poo (before he did it so frequently that it was a "oh okay he's just beating a dead horse of a joke, okay cool")

And then managing to catch up to what was going in just in time for "they're actually really close to each other-- oh, andy went left and chris went right, okay andy wins" was kind of a :flaccid: ending, actual skill notwithstanding.

e: I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more if the exhibition was "a dude running it and explaining his thought process/what he was doing", but even then it looks like a lot less "oh poo poo they're doing weird cool poo poo I've never seen before" and more "unstated/unseen strategy" that's more fun to play than watch. But that's just my two cents.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 14, 2018

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

And then managing to catch up to what was going in just in time for "they're actually really close to each other-- oh, andy went left and chris went right, okay andy wins" was kind of a :flaccid: ending, actual skill notwithstanding.

This happened at Harvey games done quick as well and I'm not sure how many times it rando has to be kind of a wet fart for the pattern to start being evident.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

get that OUT of my face posted:

I think next time, they should have a solo rando run where somebody who's knowledgeable and can explain things well goes over things, so that future races can have something people can watch if they're not familiar.

That, or just get better announcers who can explain things. They weren't good.

It was just the announcers that were bad. Also I don't think it should have been a "swordless" run because that requires a good number of changes and caveats even from the base game. They also should have probably done a custom seed that would have required the pedestal (but obviously don't tell the runners in advance, or maybe do?) that way more of the game is shown off and there is a lot more opportunity for the runners to show off their skill at some of the harder dungeons like Turtle Rock.

In any case I don't really know where the complaints about the randomizer run are coming from? Is there a AGDQ thread of tears or something?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Random games in general don't work too well for speedruns. Look at how many bad Binding of Isaac runs appeared in GDQ in the past?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
A "spoiled" random seed might be pretty cool. v:shobon:v

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Seeded runs of random games are fun to do and not so much fun as a spectator event.

I do that stuff with Monolith but I don't think I would waste everyone's time with a seeded run as a marathon submission. Wouldn't be fun for the audience.

Unseeded can be totally fine I honestly think the ish with ALttP rando is the length because it's goddamn long and for a race that long to wet fart as an ending is pretty blue balling. If the run is like 15 minutes then it's more decisive.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Seeded runs of random games are fun to do and not so much fun as a spectator event.

I do that stuff with Monolith but I don't think I would waste everyone's time with a seeded run as a marathon submission. Wouldn't be fun for the audience.

Unseeded can be totally fine I honestly think the ish with ALttP rando is the length because it's goddamn long and for a race that long to wet fart as an ending is pretty blue balling. If the run is like 15 minutes then it's more decisive.

There's a risk with all the races for one team to run away with it, though. I still think it's worth it to have a chance at the ones that are exciting.

I do think ALTTP might be just too long for rando races, though I think Super Metroid could be a whole lot faster and more exciting. Super Metroid also has fewer items to collect, and fewer needed for "go mode", so it's easier for the viewers to follow. ALTTP is a huge game with a lot going on and a lot of items, each with a ton of intricacies.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Remember when everyone was all "NO SUPER METROID WILL KILL DONATIONS."

*ahem*

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Pretending Super Metroid mattered was holding the marathon back.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Edit; Oops, wrong thread, but I do not miss Super Metroid

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
At least if Super Metroid returns, this probably shows they don't need the "kill or save the animals" as a money maker. Probably not having that there also means it easier to do other donation incentives as people not just adding money to the pot at the last day instead of focusing on the stuff happening in a few hours.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Rirse posted:

At least if Super Metroid returns, this probably shows they don't need the "kill or save the animals" as a money maker. Probably not having that there also means it easier to do other donation incentives as people not just adding money to the pot at the last day instead of focusing on the stuff happening in a few hours.

Also they can slot better games in its place instead.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

New Concept Hole posted:

Pretending Super Metroid mattered was holding the marathon back.

This but "non-sub-mode twitch chat"

Max Coveri posted:

Also they can slot better games in its place instead.

I would take 10 super metroid runs over another metroid prime

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Infamous First Light was a snooze but not offensive. What happened in Prime 3 and Secret of Evermore?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Rando was fine. Swordless made some parts a bit bleh, and the commentators could have done a better job explaining things. But the same can be said of most swordless runs and multiple runs commentary for explanations.

There were awesome tricks done (Andy's MULTIPLE hovers alone), the race was just as close as most GDQ races turn out to be, and while they didn't explain things well, they at least entertained well and there were good donation amounts. This is a silly run to choose to poo poo on as harshly as some have.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Infamous First Light was a snooze but not offensive. What happened in Prime 3 and Secret of Evermore?

The Prime 3 run ended up being like an hour over WR time so wasn't really all that interesting. I love Secret of Evermore but it was just a boring run that had the runner relying on random poo poo for like 15 minutes to get a skip, I stopped watching at that part so I don't know if it got any worse.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Oh wow, that donation total so far before the final run compared to earlier today ($1,000,000 to $1,800,000). What was our 'anime is real' moment?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

LuiCypher posted:

Oh wow, that donation total so far before the final run compared to earlier today ($1,000,000 to $1,800,000). What was our 'anime is real' moment?

Uhhh, it was when the Anime became Real again (Bandai prize pack again)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

mango sentinel posted:

Prime 3 was the same as most primes, a lot of attempt-to-get-OOB-fail-curse-repeat-10-times trainwreck with no real redeeming entertainment value

Skyrim and MSG3 were trainwrecks but entertaining trainwrecks

WRONG DRAGON

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
Super Dram World 2 Tasbot is the most concentrated must watch 4 minutes. Holy poo poo was that cool

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Banzai 3 posted:

Super Dram World 2 Tasbot is the most concentrated must watch 4 minutes. Holy poo poo was that cool

Super Dram World 2 to begin with, because Grandpoobear is a wonderful guy and he just kills it. Hes cracking jokes, keeping up with the crowd, intentionally getting people to yell out how many times he dies, and laughing the whole time. Its a great breath of fresh air compared to some of the super serious people, and hes such a drat good mario player.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

mango sentinel posted:

The runner of Secret of Evermore tried WAY too hard to be funny. He was extremely obnoxious.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Pakled posted:

The runner of Secret of Evermore tried WAY too hard to be funny. He was extremely obnoxious.

Do find it fitting his donation incentive to sing some unfunny song failed.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug

Lobsterboy posted:

Super Dram World 2 to begin with, because Grandpoobear is a wonderful guy and he just kills it. Hes cracking jokes, keeping up with the crowd, intentionally getting people to yell out how many times he dies, and laughing the whole time. Its a great breath of fresh air compared to some of the super serious people, and hes such a drat good mario player.

Yeah, I totally second this. His reactions during Tasbot become that much better watching him do that absurdity for the prior 50 minutes

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rirse posted:

Do find it fitting his donation incentive to sing some unfunny song failed.

In case you feel like you're missing out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FVTx6tQ-Dk&hd=1

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

:drat:

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Welp, dodged a bullet there.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Man this has been a good week. Every year I watch the opening and wonder if this will be the year that it starts to decline, and every year I'm proven wrong.

Already looking forward to SGDQ.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Did the Nuke into Crazy town glitch in FFIV live up to the hype?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did the Nuke into Crazy town glitch in FFIV live up to the hype?

It was neat, but I didn't really see what the big deal about it was.

• Locked thread