Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Whenever someone brings up the superheroes as Westerns comparison, I ask how many independent studios can go out and shoot their own Batman movies to light a fire under the bloated tentpole asses of the world. Superheroes are tied with intellectual properties in a way that negates any that aren't preexisting as illegitimate in the eyes of the buying public. The only successful modern exception (unless you want to go obtusely broad and say that Indiana Jones and Luke Skywalker and all the Campbell protagonists are superheroes like a pedant) is The Incredibles, which was successful on the backs of being a Disney/Pixar film. Dreamworks tried making The Incredibles years later and you got Megamind and everyone knew it was cut-rate before they saw it which is why it... gently caress, it didn't lose money, but I think my argument still holds up that you can't really proliferate the superhero genre without writing a check for beaucoup dollars unless you want to go shoot Nigerian Batman, which we should be so blessed as to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Superheroes as a genre absolutely lend themselves to all of the advantages of huge media conglomerates. They only really work with a combination of existing IP with ideas to draw from and some measure of existing fanbase to lend legitimacy, and a big enough budget to make all the superpowers and action setpieces look good. Even then it's not like you can't have fuckups, but for the most part it works.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowman_McK posted:

Or Westerns.

Oh wait.

And yes, Westerns have stuck around, as smaller, independent, artsy movies rather than the box office dominating monsters they once were.

The Revenant made half a billion dollars, Django Unchained made $400m and The Lone Ranger made a quarter billion dollars. They're not dominating the box office but they've still got a sizable audience when the studios can be bothered putting the effort in.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Revenant made half a billion dollars, Django Unchained made $400m and The Lone Ranger made a quarter billion dollars. They're not dominating the box office but they've still got a sizable audience when the studios can be bothered putting the effort in.

Lone Ranger was a notorious bomb, though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Lone Ranger was a notorious bomb, though.

Only because of its ridiculous budget.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Is Lone Ranger really a western though? I haven't seen it but it looked about as western as Pirates of the Caribbean looks like a period piece.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's basically Pirates of the Caribbean with cowboys instead of pirates. Same director, producer, screenwriter and Johnny Depp.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

starkebn posted:

Is Lone Ranger really a western though? I haven't seen it but it looked about as western as Pirates of the Caribbean looks like a period piece.

It had cowboys and Indians Native Americans and horses and outlaws and six shooters and train ambushes and frontier settlements and cavalry charges and silver mines and railroad companies, it's 100% a western.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

It had cowboys and Indians Native Americans and horses and outlaws and six shooters and train ambushes and frontier settlements and cavalry charges and silver mines and railroad companies, it's 100% a western.

:okay:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

What's your definition of a Western movie and why don't you think that Lone Ranger fits in the genre? I'm not trying to argue, I'm honestly curious.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Alvarez IV posted:

Dreamworks tried making The Incredibles years later and you got Megamind and everyone knew it was cut-rate before they saw it which is why it... gently caress, it didn't lose money, but I think my argument still holds up

Megamind was entertaining and you're talking out of your butt

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The best superhero movie is Lucy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

starkebn posted:

It's the most western a movie ever was, it includes like 80% of all western tropes imaginable.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rango was the best modern western.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Serenity :shepface:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ghost Rider. :v:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's the most western a movie ever was, it includes like 80% of all western tropes imaginable.

How many times to they ride by the same rock while going to completely different places?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Best modern western = Broken Arrow from 1996.

(It's about a train robbery in the desert and it has an abandoned mine, what more do you want?)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

What's your definition of a Western movie and why don't you think that Lone Ranger fits in the genre? I'm not trying to argue, I'm honestly curious.

starkebn posted:

I haven't seen it

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

The best superhero movie is Lucy.

I saw Lucy for free and still wanted my money back

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

starkebn posted:

starkebn posted:

I haven't seen it

Yeah I know that, but I'm still interested to know why you thought it wasn't a western.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alvarez IV posted:

Whenever someone brings up the superheroes as Westerns comparison, I ask how many independent studios can go out and shoot their own Batman movies to light a fire under the bloated tentpole asses of the world. Superheroes are tied with intellectual properties in a way that negates any that aren't preexisting as illegitimate in the eyes of the buying public. The only successful modern exception (unless you want to go obtusely broad and say that Indiana Jones and Luke Skywalker and all the Campbell protagonists are superheroes like a pedant) is The Incredibles, which was successful on the backs of being a Disney/Pixar film. Dreamworks tried making The Incredibles years later and you got Megamind and everyone knew it was cut-rate before they saw it which is why it... gently caress, it didn't lose money, but I think my argument still holds up that you can't really proliferate the superhero genre without writing a check for beaucoup dollars unless you want to go shoot Nigerian Batman, which we should be so blessed as to have.

How much is beaucoup? Chronicle was made for $12M and Lucy was made for $40M and they both earned it back tenfold.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Best original superhero movie: Darkman.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neo Rasa posted:

How many times to they ride by the same rock while going to completely different places?

There's far too much money thrown at the movie to do that even for a gag.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Megamind was entertaining and you're talking out of your butt

Yeah, The Incredibles and Megamind are the two best superhero movies I've seen.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Yeah I know that, but I'm still interested to know why you thought it wasn't a western.
[/quote]

From the little I picked up about it, it looked just like "whacky Johnny Depp in dress up", it's not like I've got some ulterior motive.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I'm sorry dude it's just really amusing how you could see more than a few seconds of THE LONE RANGER (or even just the poster/being culturally aware of it) and not immediately know it's a western. Like I'm pretty sure if I played the trailer for my 2 year old niece she'd probably shout things like "cowboy!" and "horsie!" within moments.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah I wasn't trying to accuse you of anything, I was just wondering how you came to that conclusion.

To be fair if all you knew about it was from watching the first minute of this trailer you'd be excused for assuming it was a supernatural thriller/horror set sometime in the past
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAUjV2hGuW4

If you only saw the first 40 seconds of this trailer you might have guessed it was about time travel and was partly set in the time of Alexander the Great and possibly Paris during the Moulin Rouge era
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9DDCKVrZfU
The line "Imagine time and space under the mastery of man, power that makes emperors and kings look like fools" was a terrible was to start the trailer.

The promotional material for the film had massive tonal issues, they really obviously had no idea how to sell it to audiences.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 14, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Plus it gave us those games from Johnny Depp where the entire character was built around "Yeah I fell in love with this Indian painting with the striped makeup so I based the entire character around it" and "Actually I am part Native American, like 1/4 Cherokee like from my great grandma or some poo poo." And I know that stuff made me and a lot of other folks not even consider seeing the movie way before a trailer was even out.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Is bone tomahawk a western or a horror?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That end train scene is dope as hell though. It’s almost kind of worth it for that.

But not really.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Lobok posted:

How much is beaucoup? Chronicle was made for $12M and Lucy was made for $40M and they both earned it back tenfold.

Chronicle is the product of two scions of successful Hollywood figures, find me someone else without connections who can pull together a tenth of its budget for a movie like that and hope to make a profit. Lucy was Luc Besson's thing, and he's more independent of the needlessly expensive American film industry than most, and even then it was the highest budgeted film in EuropaCorp's history. When a regular person wants to make a movie, they go for something within their financial means, which if you want to make a genre film means horror or very occasionally science fiction.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bone tomahawk is a western horror movie

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wild Wild West is a western horrible movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

It's near the top of both the list of movies I was most excited for as a kid and the list of movies I was most disappointed by.

CelticPredator posted:

Bone tomahawk is a western horror movie

Here's my idea for one of those Star Wars spin-off movies: Bone Tomahawk, except with Tusken Raiders.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

That end train scene is dope as hell though. It’s almost kind of worth it for that.

But not really.

I think the funny thing about it is that I didn't see it coming at all, despite the fact that Verbinski spends 90+ minutes setting up a train chase to the William Tell Overture.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neo Rasa posted:

I had the toy of the cool spider robot as a kid, that's all I remember.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The best thing about Wild Wild West was the giant mechanical spider.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Well, at least when Will Smith made a bad movie back then he'd do a song to go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I... I like Wild Wild West :negative:

It’s just so absurd that it becomes entertaining