Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

chiasaur11 posted:

He didn't just give that speech, but from the flicker it seems like a reasonable guess he was delivering that same speech to a bunch of graduating classes at once by holoconference. Orphans basically exist to die for humanity.

I took this to mean he is broadcasting rather than attending in person because he can’t risk vulnerability to monster attacks. I assumed this is the only parasite training facility, the kids don’t talk about it in a way that suggests there are others, though I guess there could be.

chiasaur11 posted:

(Or 0 Ni, which is not the worst pun I've seen this year.)

:ughh: oh wow, this totally got past me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
O Ni San!

It's the number 23

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
The robot looks cool and I dug how the two main characters had similar but different monologues at the beginning. Honestly it doesn't take me much to enjoy a mecha show, so I'm it it for the long haul and look forward to this being in a Super Robot Wars game in five years.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I wonder what the girl named Ichigo's number is

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Hargrimm posted:

I hope her partner Is 064, just for the pun.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
How's the soundtrack so far? Cause this reminds me of Star Driver, as previously mentioned by others, and a big part of what made that show watchable was the music.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I enjoyed this first episode, hopefully it pans out into a fun little show.

I haven't seen Star Driver, but I have seen Captain Earth and this kind of reminds me of that. Then again Captain Earth had a good first episode too but not very many highs afterwards.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Hargrimm posted:

015, for ichi(1) go(5)

so we had hi(1) ro(6) and na(7) o(0) mi(3).

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the guys' uniforms have a y-shaped tie, the girls' uniforms have an x-shaped tie

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
IT IS THE NINETIES AND THERE IS TIME FOR KLAXOSAURS

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

AnacondaHL posted:

015, for ichi(1) go(5)

:thejoke:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was okay, i guess? good enough that i'll keep watching until i have a reason to stop, at least.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

I voted for Kiznaiver even though it's not the best trigger anime because I still really liked it and it was very fun. I'm sorry.

Also, why does the robot have anime eyes

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if kiznaiver had full arcs for everyone and not just the glasses girl it could have been a great show

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
The only good thing about Kiznaiver was the fun OP.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
ninja slayer is legitimately the best trigger anime

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I liked this show's first episode

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

the guys' uniforms have a y-shaped tie, the girls' uniforms have an x-shaped tie

Fuuuuuck.
I did notice the pilot suits look like wedding garments, though.

So the XX in FRANXX refers to the female look of the robots?

Now the cockpit just has to become a womb.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

nah, they are def talking about hot dogs

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

Fuuuuuck.
I did notice the pilot suits look like wedding garments, though.

So the XX in FRANXX refers to the female look of the robots?

Now the cockpit just has to become a womb.

They’re heavily modelled on NGE entry plugs already. That’s probably close enough.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Come to think of it, they really went all-in on making 002 an explicit hybrid of Rei and Asuka, didn’t they? I mean they even gave her pink hair and named her after zero (rei) and Unit 02.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Is the protagonist of this some dumb guy and not the oni girl?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DisDisDis posted:

Is the protagonist of this some dumb guy and not the oni girl?
It seems more like they're co-leads.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Raxivace posted:

A Simon X Ryuko Matoi pairing.

Well, at least Trigger likes strong female leads.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This show seems alright! The setting is neat, and I hope to see more character work later on. I really don't have much to say, the symbolism is there for sure, but there's not much to say if it'll deliver on any of the interesting parts of it or where it could really go. I will watch. The second episode

basically

dogsicle posted:

this anime isn't gay enough

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Yep. They even both get a take on the same opening monologue.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Cronodoculous posted:

Also, why does the robot have anime eyes

It looks like when the robot fully transforms/activates it's basically full body control. Like when 02 was talking after the transformation completed its mouth was moving as though the robot was 02.

This was a pretty paint-by-numbers first episode for a mecha show, but it had enough interesting stuff like the hosed up mores of the martyr-cult they've got going on, Naomi's speech("I wish you had never been my partner because you're good at this and I'm garbage so I'm dragging you down") which speaks to how hosed up said martyr-cult is, and the world setting in general(our base appears to be a biodome out in the middle of a leveled wasteland). The uniform designs are Diebuster as gently caress and the robot designs are halfway between Diebuster and Gurren Lagann.

Hopefully it can deliver.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 14, 2018

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I found a collection of character and mecha profiles https://imgur.com/a/7fGR0

I'm looking forward to the purple kickrobot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

Interesting how they all fight with those orange blades. Makes me wonder if Strelizia’s ‘hair’ is entirely decorative.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Droyer posted:

it has a bit skirt, too

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Makes me question if they all have an animal mode too, apparently its 'feral' to do so.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I love this robot.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

NotALizardman posted:

I love this robot.

She looks like she'd play in the snow and come in to drink some cocoa

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

She's got mittens. :kimchi:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

After thinking about it for a bit I'm not sure how I feel about the weapons always being orange. On one hand it's neat visual shorthand, but on the other hand sterlizia is the only one where it fits the color scheme. I do like how the Franxxs' faces reflect their female pilots though. Finally for anyone who missed it, all the Franxxs are named after flowers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Droyer posted:

After thinking about it for a bit I'm not sure how I feel about the weapons always being orange. On one hand it's neat visual shorthand, but on the other hand sterlizia is the only one where it fits the color scheme. I do like how the Franxxs' faces reflect their female pilots though. Finally for anyone who missed it, all the Franxxs are named after flowers.

ha ha, aside from strelizia they all have the same hairstyle as their female pilots, too.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ha ha, aside from strelizia they all have the same hairstyle as their female pilots, too.

The strelizia does it too sorta, it has 2 long thin strands of hair on each side of the face just like 0-2, and the five strands coming out the back are probably meant to represent the flowing locks she has in the back.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

NotALizardman posted:

I love this robot.

I like the robot, I hate her gun. Not even the entire gun, since I like most of it from the cylinder where the bullets of a revolver would go forward. I just hate the piddly looking stock/handle hanging off the back and the orange blade, since both of them look out of proportion and don't fit to me because of it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I wonder if the argentea and ginista have their clothing separate from the main body to act as auxiliary equipment, because those two are the only ones that that diverge from the weird school uniform motif the other 3 have. If the genista's coat turns into a shield she'd be something out of Monster Hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i like the one with candy cane stockings

its cute

• Locked thread