Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I'm late to this but I think LTTP Randomizer was fine, but maybe shouldn't have been a race and maybe could've been explained better.

I think the time was right to give Super Metroid a break, it's a classic and I genuinely love the Save / Kill the Animals event, but it's gotten played out and I really don't feel so hot on the last two races from AGDQ and SGDQ 2017 (bus guy notwithstanding). LTTP Randomizer was a good idea, and I think it had good workings, but it didn't really play out for me. I'd be interested to see it get a second crack.

I really think that whatever they do for the "main event" game should really have a Save / Kill donation war equivalent, even if this year has proven that's not necessarily crucial to donation success. I just think it's fun to have that recurring theme throughout the event. It's like Splatfest. It's not an important thing to argue over, which is exactly what makes it fun to argue over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I’m pretty new to gdq stuff, but I remember there being a lot more crowd during the finale last year for undertale. Watching BotW with only a handful of audience make it kind of a lackluster send off. Is it just cause it’s projected to go till 5am?

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

meanolmrcloud posted:

I’m pretty new to gdq stuff, but I remember there being a lot more crowd during the finale last year for undertale. Watching BotW with only a handful of audience make it kind of a lackluster send off. Is it just cause it’s projected to go till 5am?

Yeah, GDQ seems to be running a lot later than usual. People are probably in bed.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
SGDQ last year ran til 6 AM just about

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I imagine there's a few alarms set so people can be there for the actual end of the marathon (which still has like an hour and a half to go)

It's been a long week!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

meanolmrcloud posted:

This is a really low energy run to end it on, yeah. Kinda odd.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I think this run is really fun to watch.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The run started out pretty hype, and there's a lot of neat technical stuff here but yeah, a 4-hour run is hard to keep the enthusiasm high even if it's a good run.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Don't they usually end on fairly low energy RPG runs or am I broke in the head?

I mean Zelda isn't an rpg but you get my gist

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yes almost exclusively.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

Well, awful block was overall the best part of this AGDQ for me, super broken games mixed with non awkward runners lead to some good times. My single favorite part by far was the link to the past race simply because I had no something like that could be done. I ended up sitting and watching the whole thing, it was really cool. That said, my god is this BotW run may more boring than i thought it would be. Also I have to laugh at this 250k mystery incentive, aimed a bit too high with that one i think guys.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Huh, SGDQ is going to be in Bloomington this year. That's...odd.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Well speedfriends, that was a good AGDQ, I hope to see you again come June.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

https://pastebin.com/hZhwfuhX

I hastily wrote a bunch of words giving info on attending gdqs. I probably won't update this until at least Tuesday, so I figure I should post this now instead of later

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/GamesDoneQuick/status/952480827446833152

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

All right, here's my updated list of recommendations too: (from what I have seen, haven't watched any VODs yet!)

Skyrim - it's a marvelous trainwreck, funny tricks and glitches) <- Best Run candidate
Contra co-op - how much in sync two runners can be)
Aladdin - great movements, singing: the EU edition
Donkey Kong Country 2 race - a very good race
DKC1 reverse boss order - this is insanely good and glitchy run
Mega Man X4 - HE BETRAYED THE MARATHON AND HID IN THE MEMES
El Matador - spinning and sliding, physics and walls optional) <- Best Run candidate
Silent Hill - Punchy's guide on How to open Doors
Batman - A real exciting race once again
Battletoads - TMR pulls through, blindfolded Turbo Tunnel at the end
Battletoads Arcade - PJ breaks something once again and it's glorious
Dragon Warrior - a human TASbot destroys a game (Dragonlord -> :| ) <- Best Run candidate
Strider - How a person is taught to speedrun a game in 30 minutes
Superman 64 - It's as broken as you think. START OF THE AWFUL BLOCK
Arabian Nights - We the chat thread transcended to another plane by viewing it. Sparked numerous memes. <- PERSONAL BEST RUN OF THE EVENT
Enviro-Bear 2000 - EAT THE FISH
Titenic - Based on a somewhat obscure James Cameron movie
Jedi Academy - Open your heart and let Covertmuffin in
Cat Quest - It's ameowsing
Densha de D - MULTI-TRACK DRIFTING and eurobeat
Diablo - I KNOW THAT GUY FROM MY DISCORD! WOW!
Dark Souls 3 - Apart from small hiccups at the start, the runner destroys all the bosses you had trouble with - and even blindfolded at the end
Bloodborne - Even if you don't know the game (I didn't), the energy from the runner is awesome

Also, some longer runs for general good chilling out by watching, they had great commentary:

Rayman
Mass Effect

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

given how hard a lot of runners have to work to get their one shot at a GDQ performance I would be kind of salty if rando just kind of got a pity second chance after a decidedly unimpressive showing but that's me having a stake in the internal politics of it all.

had your shot, blew it

try super metroid rando or something lol it's not like there's a shortage for kinds of randomizer

There would be a lot of games that would be left off the list if they did one shot never again.

I agree on sm rando though, there are less items and it’s a bit easier to explain on the fly to casual viewers.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Hello, speed friends. New donation record - niiiiice. I am probably later today going to scrape the thread for the second round of suggestions, past the ones that are already on the list, and update that.

In the meantime, may I perhaps bring your attention over to the general speedrunning thread? The current thread is quite outdated, and with it not being terribly unlikely that a GDQ would start bringing in new speedrunning fans, I am currently in the process of writing a new one. There's some sections of that new thread that I want some input for, so feel free to add your thoughts.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This was a great event, I really enjoyed it. Much love to all the event and tech staff.

Minimal problems, no total buzzkill drama nonsense, only a few dud runs, some really really fantastic runs, and a god tier awful block.

I think RE7 and Bloodborne were probably my favorites, but there were a lot of good-to-greats.

Recommend Sunshine if you want a super chill background run (with the dude casually executing at an insane level for hours).

DKC runs are great if you're a DKC fan.

Both Castlevania runs are awesome.

Dragon Warrior is deconstruction of a video game live on screen.

Hyper Light Drifter is another good chill run, I'm biased since I think it's a super cool game, but give it a look.

Megaman 1-3 relay was pretty great.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

axeil posted:

Runs I saw that were Cool And Good. Bold are candidates for best run.

Blaster Master Zero
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Donkey Kong Country
Sonic Mania

Mega Man X
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Resident Evil 7 biohazard
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Superman 64
Arabian Nights
Enviro-Bear 2000
Dog's Life

Prey
Mega Man 1 - 3 Team Relay Race
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! + Super Punch-Out!!
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mass Effect
Diablo
Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition
Dark Souls 3
Super Mario World
Super Dram World 2
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Banzai 3 posted:

Yeah, I totally second this. His reactions during Tasbot become that much better watching him do that absurdity for the prior 50 minutes

Yeah, watching somebody who's demonstrated that he knows a whole lot about this game act as essentially a straight man to react like "wait, what's happening? that was crazy, oh my god you just warped back to world 1 how did you do that" was excellent.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

King of Solomon posted:

Huh, SGDQ is going to be in Bloomington this year. That's...odd.
I missed this announcement. Were there any other details about SGDQ?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just finished that Zelda run. Unfortunately tons of problems with launches, I think that 250,000 in such a short time for "mystery incentive" was a bit unrealistic.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Gilg posted:

I missed this announcement. Were there any other details about SGDQ?

June 24 through July 1 this year instead of being the first week of July.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Cory in the Blouse posted:

Does that mean it doesn't overlap with evo?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

CJ posted:

Does that mean it doesn't overlap with evo?

Evo's August 3-5.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Unfortunately it means it will overlap with the football world cup 2018 which means my attention will be spread even more during those days.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bloomington Illinois?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

We need an SA-master-watch-this-run list, there are times where I want to go back and check a vod of a game from some previous gdq that I haven't seen, but without speedfriends to guide me I might get this years Secret of Evermore run instead of RE7

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I wish these events would overlap with holidays so I didn’t have to sneak watch at work.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

victrix posted:

We need an SA-master-watch-this-run list, there are times where I want to go back and check a vod of a game from some previous gdq that I haven't seen, but without speedfriends to guide me I might get this years Secret of Evermore run instead of RE7

A pretty good bet is to put PJ as the runner and go from there.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Bloomington Illinois?

Minnesota, since SGDQ is basically a Minnesota event now due to the fact that their primary tech people are located here so it's easier to get equipment and support. Or at least that's what they said a couple years ago.

Also god dammit I was going to try to go to it this year but that's the last week of our fiscal year :negative:

Also also I thought the lttp randomizer race was really fun and I hope they do it again next year.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They really needed to actually explain what was going on during randomizer since even people who played LTTP probably played it so long ago they don't remember what the items do and which really matter. I know I don't.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TeaJay posted:

A pretty good bet is to put PJ as the runner and go from there.
The only run I've watched so far from this agdq is PJ's and it's great and broken as usual. though after watching like a hundred hours of team poor life choices duck game/ultimate chicken horse, I think some of his glitches/bugs are manufactured/imaginary rather than actual issues. This one, obviously, not so. Still, always love to see him on stream, and it's a shame he or the other members of Team PLC weren't involved in more runs this year. Dunno if that's due to their own choice or the event's, but I would've loved to see him get Robotrek or something else into AGDQ, his RPGLimit 2016 Robotrek run is a loving blast to watch. Robotrek is such a weird, unique game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdjjrMa3VvU&hd=1

Or his run of Drakkhen, which is loving baffling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg_RM2R8BHE&hd=1

also, I will use this opportunity to plug Team PLC's duck game and ultimate chicken horse videos because they are all an absolute joy to watch and like I said, there's almost a hundred hours of the drat things.

Duck Game
Ultimate Chicken Horse

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

victrix posted:

http://gdqvods.com/ front page is a curated list of good videos.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Here's my personal rambling list. I have plenty that I missed myself! The other lists given already are reliable recommendations.
:coffeepal: Go to http://gdqvods.com/event/agdq-2018/ and watch it all. All of it.
Part of the experience are the quieter moments and being pleasantly surprised.

Have a drink and watch the Awful Block. It starts with Superman64 and ends at Deadly Towers.
El Matador is a glitchy mess that shoulda been in the Awful Block.

Dram World 2 was a blast, and is followed up by a TAS play of it with the runner being baffled by what the computer-played superplay does.
Bloodborne owned, and you won't be sure where the hype starts and where the beard ends.
Resident Evil 7 and Resident Evil 3 were good fun. Many suspenseful moments and absolutely lovely atmosphere.

A lot of recommended runs have good performance, but it's more that they have great energy and atmosphere, too! Didn't wanna make an exhaustive list here, so these are some of the runs that stuck out the strongest in my memory.

Strider tutorial and the followup run were fun, Final Fantasy 4's commentary is on point with a calmer atmosphere, but hardly ever dull. Mario Sunshine was too long for a lot of people, but also good.
Battletoads (both Arcade and NES) were fun, as was Contra's co-op run.
Metal Gear Solid was cool to see broken, and MGS3's Snake Eater singing was amazing.
Halo 5 was kinda long, but it was a good Halo run. Plenty of screwy physics that the series is known for.

DKC: Reverse Boss Order was cool to see, well commentated as well and I guess the last thing I'll mention is Ratchet and Clank. Day 1 and Day 2 runs are hard to remember sometimes, but Ratchet and Clank was a spectacular opener with an absurdly glitchy game.
See you at SGDQ!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Minnesota, since SGDQ is basically a Minnesota event now due to the fact that their primary tech people are located here so it's easier to get equipment and support. Or at least that's what they said a couple years ago.

Also god dammit I was going to try to go to it this year but that's the last week of our fiscal year :negative:

Also also I thought the lttp randomizer race was really fun and I hope they do it again next year.

Naw, World 9 is in Eau Claire, but not tech/staff lived there (I did for a bit)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Studio posted:

Naw, World 9 is in Eau Claire, but not tech/staff lived there (I did for a bit)

Ah, gotcha. That's still a relatively short drive to get equipment out to the event.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks for posting recommendations, goons! I had to spend all Saturday driving so I have a lot of catching up to do. This event was awesome.

Also, if the stars align and I'm able to save up for it, I'm seriously considering doing a MAGFest & AGDQ double header next year, assuming they run one after the other. I may be insane, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice

Kennel posted:

http://gdqvods.com/ front page is a curated list of good videos.

Yep and SA threads are one of the sources I use to help me figure out what to put on there!

• Locked thread