Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Beer traders keep getting dumber by the minute

drat, wonder how many mules he needed for that haul?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
that guys cool

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Saw the new batch of FiftyFifty Eclipse at the shop today and it looks like dropped the price from $30/bottle to $24/bottle. Still expensive, but at least not totally ridiculous. Tempted to grab one as some of the variants sound interesting.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Spanish Manlove posted:

Beer traders keep getting dumber by the minute

I review cheap lovely beer as a hobby and Rockdale Light is particularly lovely

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

dphi posted:

Saw the new batch of FiftyFifty Eclipse at the shop today and it looks like dropped the price from $30/bottle to $24/bottle. Still expensive, but at least not totally ridiculous. Tempted to grab one as some of the variants sound interesting.

I've tried like 4 or so variants and they have all been impressively unremarkable. The coffee was most memorable because it smelled more like ashtray than coffee.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
The line for Cycle BA day tickets started 17 hours before they go on sale. There are 100 spots, should I drive more than an hour and a half to sit in line for 14 hours to spend 100 dollars just to drink beer for four hours? Should I instead go to Angry Chair at like 3 AM to get 2 bottles of pastry stout? Decisions.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

The line for Cycle BA day tickets started 17 hours before they go on sale. There are 100 spots, should I drive more than an hour and a half to sit in line for 14 hours to spend 100 dollars just to drink beer for four hours? Should I instead go to Angry Chair at like 3 AM to get 2 bottles of pastry stout? Decisions.

you should try asking GBS!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Skip both and avoid all the neckbeards. Go to 7venth sun tomorrow because it's a good place.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Just get some Yoo-Hoo and cake-flavored vodka, much cheaper

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Anyone tried Epic Triple Barrel Big Bad Baptist? Apparently it's pretty good, yet I feel iffy on spending $18 on it when I know that's 2 bottles of 2013 Mariage Parfait.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

Anyone tried Epic Triple Barrel Big Bad Baptist? Apparently it's pretty good, yet I feel iffy on spending $18 on it when I know that's 2 bottles of 2013 Mariage Parfait.

It's fine. I liked Baptista more.

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Tonight after putting my child to bed, I'm going to drive to Rev and buy a bunch of cans of delicious loving beers without any drat effort other than fighting a little traffic.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

air- posted:

It’s a great beer at a great price. Buy it and the Mariage Parfait and cuvée.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Buy any of these at 7venth sun instead of waiting in line for $25/bottle of pastry stouts or having to wait overnight for BA day tickets

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

danbanana posted:

Tonight after putting my child to bed, I'm going to drive to Rev and buy a bunch of cans of delicious loving beers without any drat effort other than fighting a little traffic.

No way any of that sells out today, tomorrow, or in the next week. Last couple releases took at least two weeks.

mrcowcow
Aug 3, 2006

Too shy to call your name, too high to to play this game.
Grimey Drawer

air- posted:

I thought it was fantastic and worth the money. Baptista is also really good this year.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

I'd skip cycle anyway cause it seems like every release is the same beer over and over. German cupcake is so good though. I like angry chair and their pastry stouts.

Do we have a list of who's going to Huna?

I'll be there with some friends bringing NC SC stuff if anyone has any requests of what to bring

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

No way any of that sells out today, tomorrow, or in the next week. Last couple releases took at least two weeks.

MG sold out at 730 and DBVSOD at 830. loving Dontdrinkbeer...

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

danbanana posted:

MG sold out at 730 and DBVSOD at 830. loving Dontdrinkbeer...

Lol what. Good for Rev. Looks like I'll just try it tomorrow at the brewpub.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

Lol what. Good for Rev. Looks like I'll just try it tomorrow at the brewpub.

I liked DBVSOD more than the double rye Straight Jacket. Those were the only two variants they had on tap left when I got there at 830. Apparently wayyyyy crazier than previous releases.

Of course, none of that matters since Straight Jacket is back.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Lemme ask you guys something since someone started a Facebook slap fight with me about it.

Do combo bar and bottle shops that you frequent typically take six packs of beer and sell them at single bottle markup pricing? And I mean ONLY sell them that way, no six packs unless you wanna pay the markup six times over.

If yes, what kind of markup would you typically expect on a $13 six pack? Is $3.79/bottle reasonable?

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Mahoning posted:

Lemme ask you guys something since someone started a Facebook slap fight with me about it.

Do combo bar and bottle shops that you frequent typically take six packs of beer and sell them at single bottle markup pricing? And I mean ONLY sell them that way, no six packs unless you wanna pay the markup six times over.

If yes, what kind of markup would you typically expect on a $13 six pack? Is $3.79/bottle reasonable?

So some business owner is trying to defend their lovely decision to add a 75% markup to the regular retail price by claiming that all other bar + bottle shops do this? Most bar + bottle shops don't do this, at least not in Oregon.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Every bar + bottle shop in my area charges normal prices for sixers/singles, and charges a corkage fee for drinking in house. Anywhere who does otherwise is trying to rip people off.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Any of them that mark up singles still sell the 4/6 packs from what I've seen

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
I’m watching 5 guys on stage chug SJ cans as part of the don’t drink beer show at Rev.

No one shot gunned it. Very disappointing.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Captain Duvel posted:

I'd skip cycle anyway cause it seems like every release is the same beer over and over. German cupcake is so good though. I like angry chair and their pastry stouts.

Do we have a list of who's going to Huna?

I'll be there with some friends bringing NC SC stuff if anyone has any requests of what to bring

I'll be at Huna, though if you're talking breweries they put a list up on the event Facebook page separated by region.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Apache posted:

I'll be at Huna, though if you're talking breweries they put a list up on the event Facebook page separated by region.

I meant goons :)

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
So I was talking to some random dude at the event I was at. He mentioned going to the Rev release and buying a bunch of beer for "trade and resale." That made me want to talk to him less. Then, as the event was winding down, I watched him steal glassware. Dude looked like he was in his mid to late 40s. What the gently caress.

VSOJ Cherry Rye was ridiculously good at least.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
In my continuing attempt to get my "cellar" down to Expedition, BCBS, and lambic, I decided to open a 4.5 year old Lolita. Fruit is barely there and it's fresh bright red has dulled into a oude brun color.

But Brett is now prominent and it still tastes pretty bright. Some acedic character but not nearly as bad as most old AWAs. Coming off as a pretty drat good Flanders Red with a bunch of funk.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://twitter.com/untappd/status/953318464692916227

Why are people still drinking Punk?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Overseas people. One of my buddies moved to York and BrewDog is the cheapest/easiest to find approximation of a decent American style IPA. When he came back to visit this past summer he ate nachos and drank a six pack of IPA every day.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

It's gotta be at least 2 or 3 years since I've drank anything from Stone and I feel no motivation to change that :silent:

KBS seems to be tremendously easy to find these days too!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I bought a 6x16oz of stones Go To IPA once because it was $10 and less than two weeks old. It was pretty drat good at that price. But hooray cigar city for being on that list!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

gently caress yeah, Michigan supremacy.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Gonna be in Hong Kong, Hanoi, Da Nang, and Tokyo over the next few weeks. I’ve pretty much got Tokyo covered thanks to forums superstar and overall great dude SUPER HASSLER, but I’d appreciate any insights into Vietnam and Hong Kong. That said, I’m not above just drinking Bintang the whole time I’m there.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Nth Doctor posted:

gently caress yeah, Michigan supremacy.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

very stable genius posted:

When he came back to visit this past summer he ate nachos and drank a six pack of IPA every day.

Can you not make nachos in Europe? Is that poo poo illegal?

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

danbanana posted:

I imagine you can't find decent tortilla chips.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

very stable genius posted:

Gonna be in Hong Kong, Hanoi, Da Nang, and Tokyo over the next few weeks. I’ve pretty much got Tokyo covered thanks to forums superstar and overall great dude SUPER HASSLER, but I’d appreciate any insights into Vietnam and Hong Kong. That said, I’m not above just drinking Bintang the whole time I’m there.
I don't know what the best places are in Hong Kong but Coedo Taproom in Causeway Bay was pretty good. It was exclusively populated by expats, backpackers and tourists who all liked to talk about themselves too much but they had a bunch of different interesting stuff on tap.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
it's not even 600am and i'm blasting Grinderman and Shellac at ear-splitting volume and brewing a doppelbock.

today is okay.

(saving the motorik jams for when everyone else shows up)

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

danbanana posted:

Lt_Tofu posted:

I imagine you can't find decent tortilla chips.

Yeah basically this but every ingredient needed for nachos. I imagine it would be different if he were in London as opposed to York.