Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Any recommendations for an electric kettle with a temperature controller on it? I see an Epica on Amazon for $40 which sounds like a good price to me. It has fairly good reviews but I've never heard of the brand. I'd like to keep it under $50 if that's possible. Also, any reason to spend more than $15 on a pour over thing? Sometimes I just want one cup of coffee before work and those things look like they'd be perfect for a quick cup!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
If you don't want to have to babysit a pourover you might want to look into the Clever Coffee Dripper

Loco
Dec 6, 2006

Why is.. Those things?

two_beer_bishes posted:

any reason to spend more than $15 on a pour over thing? Sometimes I just want one cup of coffee before work and those things look like they'd be perfect for a quick cup!

Can't comment on what to spend, but they are perfect for quick cups- Probably faster than any other drip method.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

The Creature posted:

I have a Behmor 1600 Plus that I use for dark roasts all the time. There are preset timers, and I think the longest you can set it to is 23 minutes and something. However, the way around it is to push the "C" button before the time runs out, and it will just start a 3 minute count down. This is supposed to be a "first crack" timer, but you aren't limited to how many times you can start it over. It's kind of a pain in the rear end, but much preferable to the HGDB method that I was using.

Mr. Mambold posted:

It's got 18 minute preset for a pound, and then yeah the C button gets another 3-4 minutes
Plus a 15 second bump button. You go that far on high heat setting, you'll likely have charcoal. You want to pull out before then.
You need to watch the tutes and play with smaller amounts to get a feel for it, as they recommend.
I love mine.

Okay guys, thanks! I remembered reading (I think at Sweet Maria's) that the Behmor is bad at dark roasts for some reason. If I can't move my wrists after I roast today, I may order one.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

a mysterious cloak posted:

Okay guys, thanks! I remembered reading (I think at Sweet Maria's) that the Behmor is bad at dark roasts for some reason. If I can't move my wrists after I roast today, I may order one.

The thing about their dark roasts is the behmor gets the beans so hot, you have to start them cooling a bit before your actual ideal finished state, if that makes sense. I'd think this would be true with all roasters, but I'm only familiar with this one.
The beans keep roasting internally from the fast heat buildup, so they'll get darker and oilier. It also has a timer that will shut it off and go directly to cooling if you're not monitoring (because the beans/chaff can get hot enough to ignite, which is a bad thing)
They tell you about it in their youtubes (it may have been SweetMaria's that I watched), and how to sort of control the cool down so they still get where you like them. It just takes some practice.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
There is also very little lag time between first and second crack with the Behmor that often times you will think it is still in first crack when it is in second crack and you end up starting the cool down after second crack is over. I tend to start my cool down like 30-40 seconds into first crack to be safe.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
A bit late, but Onyx Coffee Lab has free shipping going on this weekend (Code: SPRUDGIES). I ordered some Krampus: https://onyxcoffeelab.com/collections/coffee/products/krampus-holiday-coffee

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I have a Behmor on the way! Can't beat a free 8 pound sampler with the roaster, holy crap. That's a lot of practice coffee.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

two_beer_bishes posted:

Any recommendations for an electric kettle with a temperature controller on it? I see an Epica on Amazon for $40 which sounds like a good price to me. It has fairly good reviews but I've never heard of the brand. I'd like to keep it under $50 if that's possible. Also, any reason to spend more than $15 on a pour over thing? Sometimes I just want one cup of coffee before work and those things look like they'd be perfect for a quick cup!

Echoing getting a clever coffee dripper. Cheap and has the same set up time as a pour over but then you leave it alone while it steeps.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

I have a Behmor on the way! Can't beat a free 8 pound sampler with the roaster, holy crap. That's a lot of practice coffee.

It will go faster than you think. Also, remember that a pound of green coffee does not equal a pound of roasted coffee.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Looks like I'm getting a clever dripper, thanks for the recommendations!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Massdrop has the "Bonavita 1L Gooseneck Variable-Temp Electric Kettle" on sale. Link. I'm not affiliated with them but thought you guys would like to know since it's half price (now $55 USD).

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

VelociBacon posted:

Massdrop has the "Bonavita 1L Gooseneck Variable-Temp Electric Kettle" on sale. Link. I'm not affiliated with them but thought you guys would like to know since it's half price (now $55 USD).

Fair warning, I picked this one up from Amazon a few years back and it rusted so bad I had to stop using it. I had the lid replaced after a year, and the new one again rusted. Eventually the warranty ran out so I threw it away.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

ILikeVoltron posted:

Fair warning, I picked this one up from Amazon a few years back and it rusted so bad I had to stop using it. I had the lid replaced after a year, and the new one again rusted. Eventually the warranty ran out so I threw it away.

I think someone mentioned ages back that they fixed their rust problem? Mine is rocking two years I think with only a couple spots on the lid. A+ on my end.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I wonder what they changed in the lid. I got mine maybe 4 years ago now and I have zero rust on mine and I use it almost daily and keep water in it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Mine has been great, got it for Christmas 3 or 4 years ago, use it every day, no rust or anything.

rockcity posted:

It will go faster than you think. Also, remember that a pound of green coffee does not equal a pound of roasted coffee.

True, but I've got like 4 pounds already, so I'm going to be good for a while! I was just impressed to get $50 beans with it.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 21, 2018

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

rockcity posted:

I wonder what they changed in the lid. I got mine maybe 4 years ago now and I have zero rust on mine and I use it almost daily and keep water in it.

Mine was replaced less than 4 years ago. The lid was replaced sometime in late 2015. So a little more than 2 years ago, I've also read some people getting units that were fine but I just want to point out, not everybody got a good unit.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mine also rusted. I went back to my Hario kettle and while the ergonomics suck compared to the Bonavita, it's actually stainless steel.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Stagg kettles are pretty nice and I think the overpriced Plus version will be available soon (app enabled, compatible with acaia scales). If you're not into the plus the base one is still a pretty good (stovetop) kettle.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Has anyone had a chance to play with the flair espresso maker? It looks neat and 150 bucks to get good espresso at home sounds awesome.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
I've been using the Flair since August and it's awesome. There is a lot more info about it on this thread on home barista https://www.home-barista.com/levers/user-experience-flair-espresso-manual-lever-t44631-530.html

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This might be something you guys are interested in. Ascaso updated the Dream model:
http://www.ascaso.com/div-espresso-coffee-machines-grinders/dream-3pid.html

Before if people asked me about Ascaso I'd say "oh sure it's nice .... but", but this update removes a lot of the quibbles I had. They have:
- Added a PID for temperature display and control. This also includes shot timer, pre-infusion timer, and wake on clock/power saver
- Replaced the existing temp gauge with a pressure gauge (since PID shows temp now)
- OPV pressure screw to adjust pressure
- Wood detailing on portafilter and steam knob
- Finally adopted a standard E61 portafilter

They're pretty new but they're going for $999 on SCG right now, and still haven't launched officially in Canada.

So as of right now, the only quibbles are:
- Still uses thermoblock (which, depending on your stance on them isn't that big of a deal)
- Ascaso uses a lot of non-standard parts which makes them a pain to fix as compared to machines in the Italian parts ecosystem

They're actually quite comparable to the Quickmill EVO 70s I posted about way back when; PID, programmable, thermoblock machines, except the Dream has a pretty popular aesthetic so that might help them out on that.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

First roast with the Behmor: very cool. Roasted a bit lighter than I like, but it's close! A few more roasts and I'll get it figured out.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I did a PID install on a Dream just a couple months ago. They're pretty solid little machines, I mostly only ever see them in for overheating issues (user error). The standard (non-PID) ones are a nice looking alternative to your usual small semi-auto, as long as you don't care too much about temperature control (most people don't). I saw one painted like a ladybug once.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

bizwank posted:

I did a PID install on a Dream just a couple months ago. They're pretty solid little machines, I mostly only ever see them in for overheating issues (user error). The standard (non-PID) ones are a nice looking alternative to your usual small semi-auto, as long as you don't care too much about temperature control (most people don't). I saw one painted like a ladybug once.

Yeah that was kind of the problem with stocking them, they came with >15< different colours, and they're always introducing/retiring special vinyl treatments like The Cow and so on:
http://www.ascaso.com/div-espresso-coffee-machines-grinders/dream-5.html#colores-dream

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I never get pourover coffee when I'm out but I picked up one of those cheap burr grinders to give me a nice coarse grind for french press, got a chemex while i was at it for kicks, holy poo poo this thing brews a nice cup

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Any recommendations for a home nitro system? Im sorry if this has been covered, I didn't read all 278 pages.

Also MAKE SURE you babysit your Behmor. I had one and walked away for 1 minute and returned to find it completely on fire. Another 20 seconds and it would have set the garage on fire. I had used it many times and always stayed with it so I figured I was ok to step inside the house quickly.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Flyinglemur posted:

Any recommendations for a home nitro system? Im sorry if this has been covered, I didn't read all 278 pages.

Also MAKE SURE you babysit your Behmor. I had one and walked away for 1 minute and returned to find it completely on fire. Another 20 seconds and it would have set the garage on fire. I had used it many times and always stayed with it so I figured I was ok to step inside the house quickly.

I had smoke coming out of it when I plugged it in once. I'm pretty sure what happened was chaff got into the electronics housing through the vent on that side and was causing some kind of a short. I unplugged it immediately and blew it all out and it has worked fine since.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

rockcity posted:

I had smoke coming out of it when I plugged it in once. I'm pretty sure what happened was chaff got into the electronics housing through the vent on that side and was causing some kind of a short. I unplugged it immediately and blew it all out and it has worked fine since.

Mine stopped rotating :(

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Flyinglemur posted:

Mine stopped rotating :(

Yeah, thankfully it happened like 10 seconds after I plugged it in and I immediately yanked the cord out. It wasn't even running at the time.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

So I hosed up the hopper on my capresso infinity by dropping it one too many times. The bottom plastic edge that controls the spacing has been chipping away and came off completely making it so I can't even get the hopper seated in anymore. Is there a way to just get a replacement hopper? I didn't come across any online and the only eBay listing I saw was already sold.

If I would have to just buy a whole new unit I'd be looking to upgrade. What's good in the $300-400 area? I have a french press, aeropress, and some different pour-overs. I don't make espresso at home but if I could get a grinder in that price range that would do well and last years while I save up to get a good setup that would be swell. Are the Vario and Rancilio Rocky still good picks in that price range? Any other models to consider?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Behmore: 95% awesome roasts, 5% pyro-terror

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Steve Jorbs posted:

So I hosed up the hopper on my capresso infinity by dropping it one too many times. The bottom plastic edge that controls the spacing has been chipping away and came off completely making it so I can't even get the hopper seated in anymore. Is there a way to just get a replacement hopper? I didn't come across any online and the only eBay listing I saw was already sold.

If I would have to just buy a whole new unit I'd be looking to upgrade. What's good in the $300-400 area? I have a french press, aeropress, and some different pour-overs. I don't make espresso at home but if I could get a grinder in that price range that would do well and last years while I save up to get a good setup that would be swell. Are the Vario and Rancilio Rocky still good picks in that price range? Any other models to consider?

I've had a Baratza Vario for about 7 years and I love it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

On the Capresso site:
http://www.capresso.com/parts-accessories.html?p=1

Your hopper isn't there, but there's a number at the bottom they tell you to call if you're looking for other parts, and I bet the hopper will be among them.

The problem with an upgrade is what you're describing kind of doesn't exist: a grinder capable of espresso but also great at drip methods like pourover/aeropress etc. The Vario is good, specifically at espresso, but because of that is less good at the coarser grinds. The rocky is the same really, but without the quality of life features that have come out in the last 10 years like timed grind and actual control interfaces.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Behmore: 95% awesome roasts, 5% pyro-terror

Yeah. I've had bits of chaff spark up in mine occasionally, but never a conflagration. They recommend cleaning out that ported vent and doing a dry roast every 5 or so, but I'm not quite that anal. Yet.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

On the Capresso site:
http://www.capresso.com/parts-accessories.html?p=1

Your hopper isn't there, but there's a number at the bottom they tell you to call if you're looking for other parts, and I bet the hopper will be among them.

The problem with an upgrade is what you're describing kind of doesn't exist: a grinder capable of espresso but also great at drip methods like pourover/aeropress etc. The Vario is good, specifically at espresso, but because of that is less good at the coarser grinds. The rocky is the same really, but without the quality of life features that have come out in the last 10 years like timed grind and actual control interfaces.
Well poo poo. Thanks for the info.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Steve Jorbs posted:

Well poo poo. Thanks for the info.

For what it's worth the breville smart grinder pro can do pour over and espresso and easily switch from one to the other. It also has a lot of Bell and whistle.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 2, 2018

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

For what it's worth the breville smart grinder pro can do pour over and espresso and easily switch from one to the other. It also has a lot of Bell and whistle.

Yeah, that's really not a bad grinder at the price point. Mine is 4 years old now and runs great. I also went to it from the Capresso Infinity as well and it was a considerable upgrade.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'd still take the Vario over it or the rocky; I'm not saying the Vario sucks, instead saying that purpose built espresso grinders won't be as good at drip/pourover as their own purpose-built equivalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I use my Vario for coarse grinds and it does just fine? No pun intended.

so....no one has any suggestions for home nitro setup? :(