Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pagancow posted:

dark knight rises was bomb rear end poo poo it was great i loved it and you should know that CHRISTOPHER NOLAN loves film and you should too

i love inception

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/948190000297979904

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

omg guys gusy guys

i just got back from watching star wars 8 in 70mm imax film print

film is dead

only ten theatres left lol

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

h8ful 8 owned in 70mm ultra panavision

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

FoldableHuman posted:

At VidCon this year I saw some doughy wannabe vlog superstar running around recording their vlog on a RED Helium 8K, and at least three others with Scarlets and Weapons.

(i saw that and knew i had to share with this thread)

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

spankmeister posted:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Mr.Radar posted:

(i saw that and knew i had to share with this thread)

they know they are content will be watchable for the next 2 years

ASSUMING THEY GO BACK AND REMASTER IN HDR

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

spankmeister posted:

except they didn't adr the super slow mo during the shootout near the end and it sounded so loving bad just stretching out those syllables lol

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
if your tv doesn't have displayport just gtfo

65" 4k HDR 120Hz gsync TV's are a thing now

https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/bfgd-big-format-gaming-display

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Perplx posted:

well, everyone was wondering what they were going to do regarding hdmi 2.1 supporting variable refresh

i don't think that people expected them to go "gently caress it, we'll make our own large gsync displays" though

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Perplx posted:

i have no idea what a 'direct array backlight' is but their choice of language most likely means there's no chance this does anything approximating hdr

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
apple has joined the association for open media as a "founding" (:lol:) member. this bodes will for the adoption of av1.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

The_Franz posted:

well, everyone was wondering what they were going to do regarding hdmi 2.1 supporting variable refresh

i don't think that people expected them to go "gently caress it, we'll make our own large gsync displays" though

TV taxes can be weird in some areas. Like, it has an HDMI port = it's a TV, but DisplayPort = it's a monitor (and a computer peripheral and thus taxed lower). There can also be taxes based on screen size, which is why you'll see HDMI ports on EU SKUs (watching TV on a smaller-sized computer monitor more popular there) but not US, since you're paying a per-port licensing fee and everyone watches on their 65-inch class Vizio they got from wal-mart.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i'm wondering how this is going to handle audio. receivers don't do displayport and most don't have multi-channel analog inputs anymore. you either need to do a dual-display setup with the displayport going to the tv and hdmi going to the receiver, which gets messy since you either have a dual-display setup with one invisible desktop or use mirroring and end up limited by whatever resolution and refresh rates the lower display supports, or have the monitor equipped with an hdmi output to carry the audio to the receiver.

i'm sure a company like gefen will make a device that splits the audio from a displayport signal and sends it out via hdmi if there's a market for it, but those things get expensive.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

The_Franz posted:

i'm sure a company like gefen will make a device that splits the audio from a displayport signal and sends it out via hdmi if there's a market for it, but those things get expensive.

A DisplayPort audio extractor seems like such an obvious product to make at this point, but I went actively looking for one some time back and such a thing simply doesn't exist near as I can tell. HDMI audio extractors, however, are stupidly common and cheap.

Only technical hangup I can think of is that audio is interleaved with video in the HDMI protocol, so the extractor would need to generate a blank video signal to mix the audio into for a HDMI output.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Mr.Radar posted:

apple has joined the association for open media as a "founding" (:lol:) member. this bodes will for the adoption of av1.

:gizz:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Perplx posted:

65" 4k HDR 120Hz gsync

i'm also going to :gizz: at this, please don't ruin it with your "reality" and "facts"

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I have a Thunderbolt 2 -> HDMI 2 dongle that plays audio through it just fine so I can’t think why there couldn’t easily be a version to just convert / strip the audio and leave the video signal

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Mr.Radar posted:

nooo turn left

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Linguica posted:

I have a Thunderbolt 2 -> HDMI 2 dongle that plays audio through it just fine so I can’t think why there couldn’t easily be a version to just convert / strip the audio and leave the video signal

surprise! the pins can shoot out HDMI

do not pass 60hz, do not collect 200 lines

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
if you're truly a hardcore video user, your NLE is going to be an install of FFMPEG and a hand-crafted bash script.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jimmy Carter posted:

if you're truly a hardcore video user, your NLE is going to be an install of FFMPEG and a hand-crafted bash script.

amateur hour

the real deal is edit display lists in GNEVE. an emacs ide for your video needs

http://1010.co.uk/gneve.html

click through for screenshot

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

there was a brief period when i made a handful of small videos by handwriting avisynth scripts

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
man i wish i was a single dude in my 20s again so i could spend time figuring out how to use emacs because it can do so many sick things

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Corla Plankun posted:

man i wish i was a single dude in my 20s again so i could
:buddy:

Corla Plankun posted:

spend time figuring out how to use emacs because it can do so many sick things
:byodame:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Corla Plankun posted:

man i wish i was a single dude in my 20s again so i could spend time figuring out how to use emacs because it can do so many sick things

it only takes about five minutes to get the basics of emacs man. it has a tutorial. it's well-documented. it's optionally mouse-driven, making obscure things discoverable in the menus. almost every extension/plugin/whatever has a cool readme to help you use it.

the hard and lovely part of emacs is learning to work on its internals.

so just don't do that

contributing to emacs is a young man's game. or a retired man's game. dealer's choice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so i watched xmen first class on a tv thru apple tv bought off itunes and tell me what was it about it that made it look soooo poo poo
compared to what i saw at home when i downloaded a pirated blu ray 1080p rip

something to do with the motion, not so much the quality of the encode as such ...

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

your tv has motion smoothing turned on

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that movie has aged pooooooorly

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lmao

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it only takes about five minutes to get the basics of emacs man. it has a tutorial. it's well-documented. it's optionally mouse-driven, making obscure things discoverable in the menus. almost every extension/plugin/whatever has a cool readme to help you use it.

the hard and lovely part of emacs is learning to work on its internals.

so just don't do that

contributing to emacs is a young man's game. or a retired man's game. dealer's choice

yes, you should definitely learn emacs and then use it to edit video.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
it has menus, just like other video editing software!

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

I edit video using a custom doom port where each second of video is an enemy and i kill the parts i dont want

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

I edit video using a custom doom port where each second of video is an enemy and i kill the parts i dont want

"i call this gun the FRAMERIPPER"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

that movie has aged pooooooorly

it was never that great to begin with imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

it was never that great to begin with imo

i had fond memories of parts of it and I like the general start of the xmen part, but the gimmick children are tragic

the vfx on the bat boy were trerrible

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

i had fond memories of parts of it and I like the general start of the xmen part, but the gimmick children are tragic

the vfx on the bat boy were trerrible

I think X-men 2 is still the best one.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
days of future pants is pretty good

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
all the young x-men in X-Men First Class seem like the B team IMHO

LOL that every new x-man movie except Logan takes place in the past so they can use younger actors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Doc Block posted:

all the young x-men in X-Men First Class seem like the B team IMHO

LOL that every new x-man movie except Logan takes place in the past so they can use younger actors

i mean securing a role in an x-men film is probably less contingent on your screen presence and more on your ability to take bryan singer's dick

• Locked thread