Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
I've come back to my old addiction, WitP.

First - where can I get mods to make the map look less heinous? Is there a directory somewhere - the Matrix forums are kind of a mess.

Second - on December 7th, like a smart guy, I sent my carriers towards Wake to ambush the invasion force. That night the Saratoga stumbled in to Kido Butai and they had a night surface action. The Sara actually managed to tag a destroyer with her 8 inch guns before they broke off. Finally, those guns came in handy.

This encounter also threw off the timeline, because there was no Pearl Harbor attack at all!

This game is awesome, too bad it's a bitch and a half to actually play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3696410 has the best map mods imo

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

CMANO question, what AA unit would/could shoot at the most stuff the furthest away without a positive id on its targets, like a drink guy at night shooting at shapes on the horizon

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

The Chad Jihad posted:

CMANO question, what AA unit would/could shoot at the most stuff the furthest away without a positive id on its targets, like a drink guy at night shooting at shapes on the horizon

Maximum comedy would be an S400 with it's WRA set very loosely.

http://www.cmano-db.com/facility/2029/

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
Thanks for the words on AT:G, decided to refund it seeing as I don't play multiplayer strategy games all that much (because I'm useless and die). Designing an army from scratch does get me oddly excited though so I may dip back into it later. I think I'm still nursing Stockholm syndrome from organising OOBs in HoI3 for hours on end.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
http://www.cmano-db.com/cw/facility/1671/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIM-10_Bomarc

http://www.cmano-db.com/cw/facility/402/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIM-14_Nike_Hercules

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

I saw Children of a Dead Earth pop up in this a few times and I guess the thread for it is closed.

Uhh, what the gently caress am I doing? I managed to mash on the sliders and make a 25mm railgun go 11 km/s bit it seems to shoot pretty wimpy slugs.

That's not even counting how lasers work or how to make a ship not cost more than a fleet of stock ships. If someone has a how to guide on how to start making stuff somewhat competently that would be neato.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Reading an article about the Cuban intervention in the Angolan civil war and came across a passage that made me realize: the Soviets were grognards.

quote:

As a last resort the Cubans would argue that they had historic experience as insurgents. ‘We haven’t always agreed with Comrade Konstantin,’ Castro remarked at a meeting in Luanda, where Konstantin Kurochkin, the head of the Soviet military mission, was present. ‘He is more the academic type, we are a little more, let’s say, “guerrillas”.’ The Cubans poked fun at the Soviet posture in Angola, arguing that Russian war plans were drawn up for another era and another place. Castro ridiculed a scheme to retake a one-horse town held by Unita as a rerun of the Red Army’s ‘operation against Berlin’. A few years later he told the Soviet foreign minister Anatoly Adamishin what a bombastic distraction the Soviet effort to train a prestigious African army had been: ‘You underestimated the bandits [Unita] and concentrated on creating a big army with many tanks, guns, and artillery … troops who knew how to parade. It was a great army for parades.’ Soviet campaign maps, with lots of wishful arrows scrawled in, were a running joke among the Cuban officers. ‘You always criticise us,’ Kurochkin replied to his tormentors, ‘saying that we draw too many arrows.’

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v38/n06/jeremy-harding/apartheids-last-stand

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

BillyJoeBob posted:

I saw Children of a Dead Earth pop up in this a few times and I guess the thread for it is closed.

Uhh, what the gently caress am I doing? I managed to mash on the sliders and make a 25mm railgun go 11 km/s bit it seems to shoot pretty wimpy slugs.

That's not even counting how lasers work or how to make a ship not cost more than a fleet of stock ships. If someone has a how to guide on how to start making stuff somewhat competently that would be neato.

the way i play coade is i delete all the existing ship designs and module designs then design my own and get frustrated that i can't make a gun that shoots more than 1km/s or a generator that generates power and then i rage quit

its pretty tricky deleting all the existing built in designs, but its quite fun to live in your own 'technological universe' so to speak

the only thing i can design good is nuclear warheads :getin:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Reading an article about the Cuban intervention in the Angolan civil war and came across a passage that made me realize: the Soviets were grognards.

Soviet Deep Battle is basically all about turning those fanciful arrows into reality.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Virgin Red Army officer vs. Chad Cuban volunteer

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Soviet scientific warfare is essentially professional grognardism

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Phi230 posted:

Soviet scientific warfare is essentially professional grognardism

This, absolutely.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

BillyJoeBob posted:

That's a pretty standard gun you've made there. That's a good start. It won't go through anything armoured but most of the stock ships are made of paper. It'll also handily take out most hard points. Rate of fire is important for small mass firing railguns.

Some people min max and get really over powered rail guns that fire a 5kg slug every millisecond at a range of 500km. This is generally done by exploiting math errors in the engine. I think a lot of the errors have been fixed by patches so making guns became a lot harder.

You should try the official forums. They have threads dedicated to component construction and analysis.

http://childrenofadeadearth.boards.net/thread/1624/ae-catalog-standard-modules
http://childrenofadeadearth.boards.net/thread/491/solar-system-organization-standardization-2017

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009
Is there a way to tell the frequency of a radar in CMANO? The database entry for each unit gives its RCS in two different frequency bands, but the description for most radars doesn't actually tell you which bands it operates in.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

and how do you actually tell if when a radar is going to spot you.

e: with low rcs aircraft i mean

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

The Geoff posted:

Is there a way to tell the frequency of a radar in CMANO? The database entry for each unit gives its RCS in two different frequency bands, but the description for most radars doesn't actually tell you which bands it operates in.

This is coming in the next update, out soon.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

and how do you actually tell if when a radar is going to spot you.

e: with low rcs aircraft i mean

You can't really be certain. The detection process is very complex and involves a large number of variables, some of which are outside your immediate knowledge and control at the scene. It's like in sub-sims when you're being hunted down; you hear the active pings, do what you can to stack the odds, and pray they don't get you.

What you CAN do, is practice with the specific emitter-target pair in ScenEdit in a range of different circumstances, so you can get a "feel" of the spectrum and which setups give you the better and worst results.

Dimitris fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 14, 2018

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dimitris posted:

You can't really be certain. The detection process is very complex and involves a large number of variables, some of which are outside your immediate knowledge and control at the scene. It's like in sub-sims when you're being hunted down; you hear the active pings, do what you can to stack the odds, and pray they don't get you.

What you CAN do, is practice with the specific emitter-target pair in ScenEdit in a range of different circumstances, so you can get a "feel" of the spectrum and which setups give you the better and worst results.

This is an area where wargame developers really need to get their head around the fact that the average player does not spend their days furiously absorbing statistics on radar wavelength emission/returns, or has anything like the knowledge that an operator in a real-world scenario would have, nor is there generally fair appreciation for the fact that the player is often asked to do the work of an entire operational headquarters. No reason (other than dev resources) not to give the player a bit more of a helping hand.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Alchenar posted:

This is an area where wargame developers really need to get their head around the fact that the average player does not spend their days furiously absorbing statistics on radar wavelength emission/returns, or has anything like the knowledge that an operator in a real-world scenario would have, nor is there generally fair appreciation for the fact that the player is often asked to do the work of an entire operational headquarters. No reason (other than dev resources) not to give the player a bit more of a helping hand.

That's not really what CMANO does- it's not about game abstractions, it's about all these neat weapons systems and stats.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

all I want for cmano is a strike planner so I don't have to manually piss about with planes so much in real time

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

cool new Metroid game posted:

all I want for cmano is a strike planner so I don't have to manually piss about with planes so much in real time

But you have one?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

meh the mission editor doesn't let me set up custom waypoints in advance or coordinate various elements of a strike package

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I've set waypoints, mission layouts, and all that jazz via lua but it's definitely more work that way.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Nobody wants to copy it but falcon 4.0's method of editing and creating strike packages was perfect. It cannot be done better just copy the drat thing imo.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Just someone make Falcon 5.0 and cash out. Allow modules of planes being sold like DCS. Congrats you won the sim world.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
It is embarrasing how much i would pay for that.

ttam
Sep 25, 2004

If Falcon 5.0 existed as you describe I would pay a monthly subscription fee ala Adobe or Microsoft Office without hesitation.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Does anyone have tips for planning manuevers in children of a dead earth? I'm having difficulty doing it with any finesse.

e: doing a retrograde intercept with a swarm of nuclear missiles while your actual fleet just watches from afar is very satisfying.

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 15, 2018

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

ttam posted:

If Falcon 5.0 existed as you describe I would pay a monthly subscription fee ala Adobe or Microsoft Office without hesitation.

So long as they used proper editors for the in-game encyclopedia. The one in every version of Falcon 4.0 I've played was a mess to read, and usually failed to give any useful information on how the weapons and aircraft were modeled in-game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

Panzeh posted:

That's not really what CMANO does- it's not about game abstractions, it's about all these neat weapons systems and stats.

You're both right.

CMANO does all this precise modeling so that "real-life tactics" can and will work ...

... but you also need a facility to teach a player what those real-life tactics actually are.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

There was an old guide passed around on falcon 4.0 forums that was basically an encyclopedia of every known weapon and the known stats. Everything. You basically read that and memorized it along with a cheat sheet for sam ranges. I cant think of an easier way to do this than reading that material and at least being familiar with all this stuff. I guess in game should link to all that but if i remember correctly it was an airforce doc so im not sure thats even legal even if it was legal to distribute it.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

DogonCrook posted:

There was an old guide passed around on falcon 4.0 forums that was basically an encyclopedia of every known weapon and the known stats. Everything. You basically read that and memorized it along with a cheat sheet for sam ranges. I cant think of an easier way to do this than reading that material and at least being familiar with all this stuff. I guess in game should link to all that but if i remember correctly it was an airforce doc so im not sure thats even legal even if it was legal to distribute it.
if it was us airforce then it would be public domain like almost everything made by a us government agency. unless it was classified of course :ninja:

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

I've developed a passion for making payloads and warheads in CoaDE. I've got this 160mm cannon fired nuclear HEAT missile I've cooked up. I'm trying to make space Shillelaghs. I'm still working out how to actually make the gun that fires a 16kg rocket out.

I have gone the lazy route in the meantime and stuck them in a carrier bay. Holy crap can I spam them for cheap.

I got one clean hit to the reactor on a gunship with it and it punched through both sides of the ship.

I've found my calling.

Edit: Dang! It's about the same dimensions and almost half the weight of a Shillelagh.

BillyJoeBob fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 15, 2018

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

ttam posted:

I'd install StarForce for a modern Falcon game.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
This isn't related to wargames in any way, but I figured some of you might find it interesting. I am currently running a sci-fi government sim in The Game Room subforum. It takes place after a revolution that overthrew a decades long corrupt dictatorship, and focuses on the recovery of the country from the dire state it was left in. The sim includes elections, legislation, executive actions, direct democracy and local government, dealing with the various factions in the country, etc. We are currently accepting candidates for upcoming municipal elections and could really use some players willing to run independently/create a new party/join a minor party. If any of this piques your interest, feel free to head over!

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 15, 2018

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

This isn't related to wargames in any way, but I figured some of you might find it interesting. I am currently running a sci-fi government sim in The Game Room subforum. It takes place after a revolution that overthrew a decades long corrupt dictatorship, and focuses on the recovery of the country from the dire state it was left in. The sim includes elections, legislation, executive actions, direct democracy and local government, dealing with the various factions in the country, etc. We are currently accepting candidates for upcoming municipal elections and could really use some players willing to run independently/create a new party/join a minor party. If any of this piques your interest, feel free to head over!

drat, you're really casting that net wide, aren't you?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Desperate times call for desperate measures. I hope this sort of thing isn't too frowned upon here?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I don't know if it's formally frowned upon, but after seeing you pop up saying the same thing more or less in like three different threads I follow I am mildly irked.

Emphasis on mildly, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Fair enough. There aren't really any other places that might be interested in it though. This isn't exactly the sort of thing most The Game Room regulars would get involved in.