Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Shageletic posted:

Yeah I wouldnt be rushing in to defend Ansari esp since this feels like the calm before the tide rushes back in. The account made it seem like he's def a predator.

On that note:

https://twitter.com/RaySiegel/status/952399300687953921

A few people have noted that it's likely not the first story that's going to come out about Aziz either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Lycus posted:

It just hit me that Matt Lauer is in that Kimmy Schmidt scene about women doing anything to avoid being rude.

I finally got my roommate to start watching Kimmy and let out an “oh holy gently caress” at that one

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
For those of you aren't following the thread/don't care about results I'll be doing a live reveal of the Top 40 TVIV Shows of 2017 starting at 1pm EST. Come join the party!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPos66MpHe8

I'm assuming this is going to be good solely because I like all those actors but we'll see.

I'm surprised this is finally actually coming out. This has been one of those in development forever shows.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPos66MpHe8

I'm assuming this is going to be good solely because I like all those actors but we'll see.

This looks terrific. But I'm also a sucker for this sort of thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm interested in Franklin's lost expedition but I haven't read the book that's based on, though. Is it worth checking out?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, it's pretty good. One of the last books Dan Simmons wrote before going completely broke brained. It's kind of an odd duck though as it is meticulously researched and historically accurate and then a giant monster shows up.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DrVenkman posted:

On that note:

A few people have noted that it's likely not the first story that's going to come out about Aziz either.

That's a shame. If all this poo poo is true he really went to great lengths to cultivate an image of a good guy. Like to a weirdly large degree.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

IRQ posted:

That's a shame. If all this poo poo is true he really went to great lengths to cultivate an image of a good guy. Like to a weirdly large degree.

It's probably true and his image is his brand. It's not really weird for a celebrity to cultivate a brand even if it bares no resemblance to themselves.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
All this just reinforces what a pain in the rear end straight relationships are. Like you have no idea how much easier and better things are when you don't have to approach every relationship from a bad-faith dance of going out of your way to prove that you're not a serial killer rapist to a person who still might not have enough agency to ever say no.

DrVenkman posted:

On that note:

Kind of lovely for the dude to spread rumors on the victim's behalf rather than letting her accuse Ansari herself imho.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Guy Mann posted:

All this just reinforces what a pain in the rear end straight relationships are.

This stuff happens in same-sex relationships too. Perhaps not as often but you shouldn't just shrug it off as an impossibility.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Aziz Ansari being a creep is possibly the least-surprising news ever. He's intolerable on both Scrubs and Parks & Rec and his stand-up has always come across as phony "white people you so crazy" stuff.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Timby posted:

Aziz Ansari being a creep is possibly the least-surprising news ever. He's intolerable on both Scrubs and Parks & Rec and his stand-up has always come across as phony "white people you so crazy" stuff.

I think Master of None is hugely responsible for how people perceive him these days.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Aziz Ansari being a creep is possibly the least-surprising news ever. He's intolerable on both Scrubs and Parks & Rec

hmmmm i wonder if there's any bias here

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Steve2911 posted:

This also apparently went down just a few months ago. Have any of the other recent accusations been so recent? It's shocking that this would've happened literal days before #MeToo started.

Also pretty goddamn ironic in his case, considering part of season 2 of Master of None was about this very thing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's really goddamn weird to assume someone's a creep because you find their character grating on a loving TV show.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

raditts posted:

Also pretty goddamn ironic in his case, considering part of season 2 of Master of None was about this very thing.

Maybe he is just completely unaware, and that's being very kind to him. But given that, at least in this account, he was in no way phased by the woman's reluctance or attempted escape I would say that it isn't the first time it's happened.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

It's really goddamn weird to assume someone's a creep because you find their character grating on a loving TV show.

"no but, you see, i don't like him, so"

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

IRQ posted:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus if that were a rule Craig Ferguson is Hitler.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Craig Ferguson owns though and his late late show was the best late night show I ever watched

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yo, all fifteen seasons of ER hit Hulu this morning, marking the first time it's ever been on a streaming service.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
This is your chance to watch "Hell and High Water," one of the best episodes of TV ever.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Jesus, I was wondering when that was gonna happen. Wonder why they held out so long.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Real Name Grover posted:

Jesus, I was wondering when that was gonna happen. Wonder why they held out so long.

Complicated ownership issues (as it was a co-production of Amblin and WB).

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Ah, OK.

It's far from perfect TV and the shark-jumping toward the end was epic (hot takes, I know), but I haven't had cable in years and therefore haven't gotten the fix from syndication. Gonna binge it, why not, it's cold out

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Rarity posted:

The thing is it's not like she didn't want to have sex with him, she just didn't want to have sex with him then. So he has the power of deciding whether a second date happens or not and that means she would feel like just being 'gently caress you, I'm out' takes that off the table.

This is pretty ludicrous. The power to decide whether to have a second date is not a 'power' one holds over another person.

For a choice to be coerced/pressured, the constraint/alternate option must be sufficiently damaging that the person has no choice but to comply. 'I won't go out with you again' is a perfectly reasonable option to 'you must have sex with me right now' because it doesn't even begin to constitute harm. It is about as harmful as It is also a legitimate use of 'power', because it is not a 'power', it is a basic freedom: everyone has the right to choose who they pursue or not pursue romantic and sexual relationships with (within legality).

Sorry but if you think 'this person is famous and I want a second date with them' constitutes enough pressure to even begin doubt someone's autonomy over their decisions, you might as well just admit to yourself that you think women should be legally considered children.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 14, 2018

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Real Name Grover posted:

Ah, OK.

It's far from perfect TV and the shark-jumping toward the end was epic (hot takes, I know), but I haven't had cable in years and therefore haven't gotten the fix from syndication. Gonna binge it, why not, it's cold out

It had an episode where one of the doctors lost his hand in a helicopter accident, and then months later ended up being killed by a falling helicopter. This was years before the end.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Arist posted:

From the mental titans who brought you "I fell for a hoax but the fact that I believed it was possible that it could be real proves I was right all along" comes an exciting new paradigm in sexual assault.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

I feel like society is losing sight of the fact that people can be, generally and mostly, "good people" and still do "bad things". People are complicated and even the best of them are often at most halfway in control of their actions. I've known a lot of people who "couldn't" resist yelling and saying hurtful things in anger, I'm sure we all have. It's been a really long time, more than a decade, since I let myself lose my temper and speak hurtfully in anger. You know how difficult that is? It's really, really difficult. Especially with my wife, who has anger issues and NVLD, it's incredibly difficult to stay calm and tell her I love her even when she's yelling at me. In my experience most people just "can't" stay calm like that.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/952415971070828544

https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/952421522886426625

I liked Aziz and this really sucks. Regardless of whether you want to be a rules lawyer about whether that story constituted rape or not, Aziz came off as massively desperate and pathetic in a really gross way. It's doubly gross that he does this stuff while trying to maintain his "brand" as a woke male feminist. I wonder how many else woke male celebrities are going to pull a Louis CK.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Man who dedicated his life to whining about the stereotypes surrounding Indian men winds up perpetrating the worst stereotype of all by being a rapist.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guy Mann posted:

Man who dedicated his life to whining about the stereotypes surrounding Indian men winds up perpetrating the worst stereotype of all by being a rapist.

Christ.

I'm surprised he/his reps haven't said anything at all in response yet. Maybe they're trying to avoid pulling a Spacey but it doesn't look great.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Guy Mann, everybody.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Guy Mann posted:

Jesus gently caress

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Guy Mann posted:

From the mental titans who brought you "I fell for a hoax but the fact that I believed it was possible that it could be real proves I was right all along" comes an exciting new paradigm in sexual assault.

Hey guys Guy Mann is actually a good post---

Guy Mann posted:

:smith:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Nobody else wants to pull a Harmon and just be honest about what you did?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

So... are you all actually surprised by this news?

I liked him and Master of None is great but as soon as I saw the accusations I just thought "yeah, of course."

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Escobarbarian posted:

Guy Mann, everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

HorseRenoir posted:

https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/952415971070828544

https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/952421522886426625

I liked Aziz and this really sucks. Regardless of whether you want to be a rules lawyer about whether that story constituted rape or not, Aziz came off as massively desperate and pathetic in a really gross way. It's doubly gross that he does this stuff while trying to maintain his "brand" as a woke male feminist. I wonder how many else woke male celebrities are going to pull a Louis CK.

Priscilla used to tweet about Franco and Louis too. In addition to not being massive creeps, dudes should probably learn that women do talk to each other.