Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
if I didn't misunderstand it also runs the stylus backwards, which is just :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Maybe the dude just wanted to invent something to destroy vinyl records. I can appreciate that.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

grack posted:

Maybe the dude just wanted to invent something to destroy vinyl records. I can appreciate that.

he wanted to get rich quick by adding bluetooth to a toy from the 70s to cash in on nostalga and vinyl and it worked.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

are you all honestly saying you weren't waiting to listen to your LPs through a tiny rotary speaker??

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Jago posted:

The soldering on that piece of poo poo look worse than what I do, huge bubbles, the wire came off the motor, lots of patch cables. What trash. It looks like there was a through hole for the other ground wire, but it just wasn't used. Is a 3 wire stylus likely to cause some of the performance issues? It seems pretty clear that the thing is way too heavy on the groove, wow what a piece of junk. I don't think you could trick an audiophile into buying one of these.

My wife insists on having a turntable and buying vintage records that she barely plays. No big deal. The turntable we have is definetely crummy. I just took a scan through amazon, and I have no idea what is good. Any recommendations on a compact size player?

The AT-LP120 and AT-LP60 are the easy default choices, depending on how much you want to spend. Welcome to the hoarding wife club.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

grack posted:

Yeah anyone dumb enough to buy that doesn't deserve to have vinyl anyway so doubly good on him.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

yeah, you have to earn the right to flip through this crate of scratched up donna summer singles.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

yeah, you have to earn the right to flip through this crate of scratched up donna summer singles.

More like, shitstains that don't understand how to take good care of the things they own don't deserve to own nice things.

Also, as a vinyl enthusiast, flipping through this crate of scratched up Donna Summer singles is my penance.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

...but a crate of scratched up Donna Summer is still better than the crap most audiophiles listen to.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Olympic Mathlete posted:

...but a crate of scratched up Donna Summer is still better than the crap most audiophiles listen to.

What do they listen to anyway?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

iospace posted:

The wailing of their starving children and Yello

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

GutBomb posted:

The wailing of their starving children

this is v. unlikely

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

i...wat?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:psyboom:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"timing" and "rhythm" are the ones that get me the most, maybe with speakers it's almost acceptable because time alignment for drivers does matter [and is pretty much a solved problem thanks to modern computer modeling] but for sources, players, amps, etc. it's loving mind boggling that people would think parts of the signal would arrive in a different order somehow

there's a point where you need to know less about audio to engage in this kind of insanity

edit for awesome CES news:

This passive, 3-way bookshelf loudspeaker measures approximately 25.5″ H x 15.5″ W x 13.75″ D and can be oriented either vertically or horizontally. Optional black metal floor stands are available with included adjustable carpet spikes. The walnut wood frame grille is available with the iconic Quadrex foam insert in a choice of black, orange, or blue.

The L100 Classic will be available in Spring 2018 at an MSRP of $4,000 per pair.

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 9, 2018

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

iospace posted:

https://www.wired.com/2015/03/hot-stampers/amp

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

iospace posted:

Sting, Prince, and as has been mentioned, Yello.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

qirex posted:

"timing" and "rhythm" are the ones that get me the most, maybe with speakers it's almost acceptable because time alignment for drivers does matter [and is pretty much a solved problem thanks to modern computer modeling] but for sources, players, amps, etc. it's loving mind boggling that people would think parts of the signal would arrive in a different order somehow

there's a point where you need to know less about audio to engage in this kind of insanity

edit for awesome CES news:

This passive, 3-way bookshelf loudspeaker measures approximately 25.5″ H x 15.5″ W x 13.75″ D and can be oriented either vertically or horizontally. Optional black metal floor stands are available with included adjustable carpet spikes. The walnut wood frame grille is available with the iconic Quadrex foam insert in a choice of black, orange, or blue.

The L100 Classic will be available in Spring 2018 at an MSRP of $4,000 per pair.

I got really excited until I saw the price.
gently caress that.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

qirex posted:

This passive, 3-way bookshelf loudspeaker measures approximately 25.5″ H x 15.5″ W x 13.75″ D

Just how big are their bookshelves?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Clarence posted:

I recently bought a pair of JBL S310s that are 3 way speakers including a 10” driver, and saw someone refer to them as bookshelf speakers. My mind boggles sometimes.

Also for the people who think SD cards affects their music, what about photos taken with high resolution 36mp DSLR cameras? Do the pixels end up in different orders depending on the brand?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Clarence posted:

they're definitely floorstanders, I don't know why they're referred to as bookshelf speakers.

Maybe if you compare them to the rest of JBL's 'floorstanding' options they look small enough by comparison?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Oh yeah, nothing is more neutral sounding than early transistor amps :psyduck:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Clarence posted:

If you need a stand to bring the tweeter to ear height, then I guess it's a bookshelf.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I got really excited until I saw the price.
gently caress that.

They were $546/pair in 1970, which works out to about $3500 today.

I'm not saying they're a good value or anything, because I've never heard them. But I do like that companies are starting to release speakers with the 1970s styling to them -- large boxes with forward-facing 10"+ woofers. Now we just need Marantz or somebody to start re-releasing their classic receivers.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 9, 2018

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EL BROMANCE posted:

I recently bought a pair of JBL S310s that are 3 way speakers including a 10” driver, and saw someone refer to them as bookshelf speakers. My mind boggles sometimes.

My JBL 4410s were also advertised as bookshelf studio monitors, and those are similarly 3-way speakers with 10" woofers (and 20kg each).

Those were some kickass speakers, I sort of regret selling them, but they were simply way too loving big for my apartment (plus, I already had a better active monitor+subs setup).

stevewm
May 10, 2005

no... words....

grack
Jan 10, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Also for the people who think SD cards affects their music, what about photos taken with high resolution 36mp DSLR cameras? Do the pixels end up in different orders depending on the brand?

This is actually a bad comparison because different manufacturers use different microlens (colour filter) arrays to capture chromatic info.

I seriously hope this person never breeds.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I meant more if you put one brand of SD card in Slot 1, and another in Slot 2 and have them both saving the same image from the buffer. Either as raw or jpeg, the results should be exactly the same between the 2 files as the basis that SD cards work this way is nonsense.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ah, okay, that makes more sense.

Audiophiles dumb, got it.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Someone please re-release magnetic core memory for these folk to test.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Too bad for audiophiles that digital storage is well out of the realm of expertise of "revolutionary audio experts" who did the immense work of sending a Texas Instrument reference design PDF to the lowest turnkey solution bidder in China, which is then "proudly made in USA" just because of some Mexican screwed in the finished Chinese PCB into the "aircraft grade aluminium case" which also happens to be made by the dirty commies.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

CES was a fun year for poo poo pr in audio.

Although I will say the Creative Labs proof of concept "tuning to your head" thing was interestingly not woo woo bullshit, but rather a feature of dubious market value

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
I like those L100, but you can go the alternate route as I did and get some JBL 4319 and get some custom made Quadrax grilles. Will not cost you 4 grand.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

iSimian posted:

I like those L100, but you can go the alternate route as I did and get some JBL 4319 and get some custom made Quadrax grilles. Will not cost you 4 grand.

... but JBL 4319 are selling for 4 grand?
https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/JBL-4319-Bookshelf-Speakers

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

I bought mine brand new from a store for slightly under 2K, then later sold and rebought them used for $1500. It seems they didn't do so well, so it's very possible to get heavy heavy discounts on them (if not even cheaper used). In Europe tho.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I thought we were making fun of people that bought things like that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

I thought we were making fun of people that bought things like that.

People who buy things like that are extremely stupid and easily confused, which is why they think this is the "stupidly expensive audio gear general chat thread".

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Dear God in heaven, what have I done? After literally several years, I've bought uncompressed audio again. I was looking for an extended version of a newly released song that Spotify doesn't offer, so I went to beatport getting the EP. Figured to shell out the small premium for the WAV version, and loving hell, I swear I can hear a difference in the high frequent content like hihats and poo poo between the uncompressed and Spotify version of the normal mix (sharper transients, clearer sounds). I mean, electronic music is generally considered a little more problematic, but gee, now I'm not sure I'm actually hearing something or whether it's placebo (using headphones). :pseudo: :saddowns:

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Blame Spotify

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Dear God in heaven, what have I done? After literally several years, I've bought uncompressed audio again. I was looking for an extended version of a newly released song that Spotify doesn't offer, so I went to beatport getting the EP. Figured to shell out the small premium for the WAV version, and loving hell, I swear I can hear a difference in the high frequent content like hihats and poo poo between the uncompressed and Spotify version of the normal mix (sharper transients, clearer sounds). I mean, electronic music is generally considered a little more problematic, but gee, now I'm not sure I'm actually hearing something or whether it's placebo (using headphones). :pseudo: :saddowns:

You probably do hear the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Maybe. But Spotify Premium is what? 320kbit Vorbis? That sure ought to be transparent.