Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I really should have added the Orville to my list. I was watching it and thought it was just a guilty pleasure. Heck, I only started to watch it because I expected a train wreck. But by the end of the season it's clear to me, that it's a genuinely good, fun and uplifting show with a lovely cast and lots of passion.

So yeah, I don't mind that this show beat The Deuce. Whatever that is.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok let's put the past in the past and focus on the future. We've still got fifteen shows separating us from the #1 show and there's some really strong contenders in there. We've still got American Gods, we've still got Legion, we've still got Agents of Shield! There's so many great shows and not enough space in the top 10 for all of them. Which one is going to fall by the wayside next?

Jerusalem posted:

The cast was incredible, the visuals were beautiful.

And More posted:

The soundtrack is great, the acting is amazing, and it all looks very beautiful.

Arist posted:

Some of the most gorgeous composition on television.

Spatula City posted:

For me, the beauty of the imagery, the sheer go-for-brokeness of it all made for a rich experience unlike anything else on TV.

achillesforever6 posted:

This show deserves all the stars and money in the world so I can at least get 4 more seasons of it.

Pan Dulce posted:

Tons of Jesuses celebrating Easter with Easter? How was that even allowed?

15. AMERICAN GODS (STARZ)
NEW ENTRY
41 points, listed 8 times, #1 spot 1 time

Yes it's a heartbreaking #15 finish for Bryan Fuller and American Gods. This Neil Gaiman adaptation has been big in the headlines in recent weeks and with the rails fast flying off this could be the only appearance it ever makes in our poll. Based on the strength of its first season, that would be a crying shame.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

There really is nothing a bunch of executives can't ruin.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Joose Caboose posted:

Always hilarious and heartbreaking.

Corte posted:

This show goes from hilarious to heart wrenching better than any other I can think of.

Heavy Metal posted:

I like it's brand of so depressing it's funny type thing.

Problematic Pigeon posted:

TV's best depiction of depression.

cant cook creole breem posted:

It ended on a slightly positive note.

DivisionPost posted:

Asexual axolotls. Clown dentists.

14. BOJACK HORSEMAN (NETFLIX)
DOWN 3
43 points, listed 8 times, #1 spot 1 time

:toot: BEST ANIMATION
:toot:

Man, Bojack Horseman might just be the biggest nearly show in TVIV history. In the last three years it's placed #15, #11 and #14. But it's oddly fitting when you consider the subject matter. If ever there was a show that belonged just outside the top 10 it would be Bojack Horseman. See you back here next year, buddy!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This season was so sick and easily my favourite. This show has ended up at 18 on my personal list 3 years in a row now I think

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

This show has ended up at 18 on my personal list 3 years in a row now I think

That's weirdly specific.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know! I don’t know what’s up with that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

I know! I don’t know what’s up with that.

The weird part to me is that you even have a #18.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

The best show nobody watched.

mancalamania posted:

It's really something special.

fancy stats posted:

This show absolutely wrecked me.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Ended the only way it could have.

nate fisher posted:

Not making this show #1 was the toughest decision I made on this list.

13. HALT AND CATCH FIRE (AMC)
UP 11
52 points, listed 7 times

Back in 2014 Halt and Catch Fire's first season didn't get a single point in our year end poll. Talk about one of your sleeper hits. Despite incredibly low viewership this show has built and built each year and ends with a very respectable finish at #13. I reckon there's a lot of us who should have been watching this one.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh very nice!! This season was truly excellent. Very glad I took a chance on this one.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Senerio posted:

I still genuinely love this show.

Regy Rusty posted:

How this show just keeps getting better I do not know.

Zaggitz posted:

I'm so thankful this show exists.

mancalamania posted:

Not much to say that hasn't already been said.

bou posted:

It gradually and gracefully slipped into very dark waters without becoming unenjoyable.

I legitimately think it might help people who have similar mental problems.

12. CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND (CW)
DOWN 6
56 points, listed 8 times, #1 spot 1 time

This show did a song about faked orgasms on primetime and got away with it, it's amazing. But seriously, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend just missed out on a place in my list and it wasn't an easy decision. The blend of a brutal look at mental health with hilarious song and dance numbers is a winning combination.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This didn’t make my list this year because I felt the second half of season 2 was quite weak, but season 3 has definitely been an upswing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh boy, oh boy we're almost at the top 10! Can you feel the tension building? Every show left is brimming with quality but sadly one of them isn't going to make it in there. Yes it's a sad state of affairs but it's the most devastating position of them all. Let's see which show is going to be crying into its writers arms tonight, it's your #11...

Yer Burnt posted:

This show sets out to be crazy ridiculous and it succeeds.

CeeJee posted:

Why is this show so good? WHY???? HOW?????

Arist posted:

The dumbest show on television, full stop.

I don't actually know if the show is in on the joke.

Lost Season posted:

I'm pretty sure this show is actually terrible.

Shneak posted:

Everyone is hot. Everyone has an unchecked mental illness. Everyone’s an rear end in a top hat. It’s incredible.

11. RIVERDALE (CW)
NEW ENTRY
58 points, listed 12 times, #1 spot 1 time

:toot: BEST ON THE CW

Oof! Archie and the gang are just a step off the pace. It'll be extra large malts at Pops' Diner tonight! Looks like they needed about three more Imagine Dragons songs to really nail it!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Seems appropriate. It's the perfect spot for a guilty pleasure.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Agreed entirely. I love this awful goofy show with its milkshakes and drag races and biker gangs.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I feel kinda bad that Riverdale actually beat CxG.
But it's really quite a fun show. I just don't get why and how.

Take the classical comic book character Archie, who's best known for getting into wacky situations while holding his triangular relationship kinda steady. Now make that a sorta pretentious murder mystery. Also make Mrs Grundy way younger and make her have a sexual relationship with Archie.

By all accounts this description amounts to absolute garbage. This show should not work so well!

Props for the Sex Archie podcast. I randomly listened to their first episode and they where so incredibly enthusiastic about this show that they convinced me to try it.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 14, 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ladies and gentlegoons, it's been a blast up till now but let's get real. Everything up till now has been the preliminaries. Here's the part that we really care about. Here's the part where the best of the best fight it out for ultimate glory. We've reached the TVIV Top 10 of 2017 and there's not a turd in sight. Every entry left to come is a certified banger. But who's going to be able to take it home? Will it be Stranger Things with its Stephen King-inspired blast of 80s nostalgia? Maybe it'll be the distilled quality and intense character drama of Better Call Saul? Or will it be the rapid-fire wit and rollicking pace of The Good Place? We'll find out soon enough but first we've got to see our #10!

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

One of my favorite shows of last year returns with an explosive new season.

Regy Rusty posted:

This show is still as strong as ever.

Rocksicles posted:

No explanation required if you have been watching it.

achillesforever6 posted:

I know its dumb to put this over most of the shows listed here.

Arist posted:

How is this as good as it is, as consistently as it is?

CeeJee posted:

Better then most major Marvel movies.

bou posted:

Still better than any X-Men movie.

Way better than any other Marvel show. (FIght me!)

10. AGENTS OF SHIELD (ABC)
UP 12
67 points, listed 11 times

:toot: BEST ON ABC

After taking a break from our top 10 last year TVIV's perennial favourite returns as Agents of Shield retakes its place to infuriate goons at #10. And once again the world is as it should be.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Goons gonna Goon.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What is that show even about anymore

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

SPACE

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

I think it's now Agents of Shield IN SPACE?

We can't let up now, friends! Time to jump into #9!

mancalamania posted:

A very beautiful and haunting show.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

They doubled down on what worked and gave us more.

ShakeZula posted:

This season delivered more of everything I loved about the first.

Corte posted:

They blew me away again.

Zaggitz posted:

I really appreciated the focus on character development this time around.

Great characters, great hair, bitchin' season.

Pan Dulce posted:

It was the perfect Halloween show to talk about afterwards.

Cart posted:

#justiceforbob

9. STRANGER THINGS (NETFLIX)
DOWN 7
72 points, listed 14 times

That's Stranger Things with it's second top 10 finish in a row. It looks like worries of this show being a one season wonder have been firmly put to bed as this remains one of the few shows around to have reached the status of cultural milestone. At this point it's safe to say Stranger Things will be a mainstay of our polls for years to come.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
*season 3 immediately shits the bed*

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Last season had Ghost Rider and alternate reality portals spawned by an evil book and also a gorgeous android who made a dystopian Hydra matrix. So yeah, this show still rules.

Man I hat that following this live feels actually exciting. I have to wake up in like 5 hours.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Season 2 made me realize I actually like Stranger Things, even if upon reflection the only storyline I cared about was Steve and the kids.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I actually didn't really care for Stranger Things 2. It felt like a redundant rehash.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

cant cook creole bream posted:

Man I hat that following this live feels actually exciting. I have to wake up in like 5 hours.

I need to get to bed soon I've got work tomorrow aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

There's only eight shows left and so many of our biggest names have yet to be revealed. We've still got Mr. Robot! We've still got Legion! We've still got Twin Peaks! Where are they going to end up? It's time to make things a little bit clearer as we reveal #8!

bagrada posted:

It had me captivated.

Cart posted:

Came out of nowhere and was a real pleasant surprise.

Rocksicles posted:

Criminally under appreciated.

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's loving brilliant, basically, and criminally under watched.

Corte posted:

Shows that make my list are usually doing something different and man does this show ever do that!

Arist posted:

Everything good is transient. All victories will be undone. Failure is the only universal constant.

nate fisher posted:

I feel like this show was made for me. It just fits me.

Escobarbarian posted:

The one underrated show moaned about in Couch Chat that actually deserved the praise!

8. PATRIOT (AMAZON)
NEW ENTRY
79 points, listed 10 times, #1 spot 2 times

:toot: BEST ON AMAZON

Yes it's a big big well done to Patriot which has managed to find a home at TVIV and nowhere else. Despite being completely shut out by the big name critics in their year end lists you guys have named it our #8 in its maiden year. A fine result for this underdog show and a fine result for Amazon, which breaks the top 10 for the very first time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hell yes well done everybody

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Never heard of that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Never heard of that.

Watch it immediately

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Never heard of that.

How have you managed to do that while posting in TVIV?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We're getting closer and closer. Don't let your bodies flag now, friends! The end is in sight but before we can get there we've got to reveal your #7!

Arist posted:

It’s kind of a perfect little thing in its own right.

DivisionPost posted:

This was the smartest show I’ve seen this year.

Spatula City posted:

I could write an entire thesis about this loving show.

Gluten Freeman posted:

A compelling mystery that transcends the boundaries of its form.

Rarity posted:

The best mockumentary of the year, the best serious crime fiction of the year and the best coming-of-age story of the year all rolled into one.

Zaggitz posted:

Just happened to be the best portrayal of high school life and the weird cultures that form within it I've ever seen.

Cart posted:

Once they started CSIing claims of camp handjobs I was hooked.

Joose Caboose posted:

Tons of funny dick jokes.

7. AMERICAN VANDAL (NETFLIX)
NEW ENTRY
86 points, listed 13 times, #1 spot 1 time

:toot: BEST ON NETFLIX

That's right, it's a fantastic result for American Vandal! It appeared on Netflix with no hype, no established stars and a premise that's so difficult to sell and it came out to claim a top 10 finish while beating out every other Netflix offering including Stranger Things! And it's no less than the show deserves. I made this my #1 show of 2017 and I can't urge you enough to give it a go. It was the most fun, moving and mesermising four hours of television of my year.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Watch it immediately

That's a really bad idea because

I have to wake up in like 5 hours.
Got a flight to catch.

whowhatwhere posted:

How have you managed to do that while posting in TVIV?
I guess I'm not really attentive and stay mostly in the threads of shows I watch already. That's one of the reasons this thread is always so great!
Thanks again Rarity.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, this is an awesome result. This show was so much funnier and smarter than anyone could have expected.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Again, never really heard of that. But it sounds quite cool. That will probably be my next show to watch.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Again, never really heard of that. But it sounds quite cool. That will probably be my next show to watch.

:woop:

Oof, I tell you what. This is really turning into a nailbiter. The six shows left are all top notch and each one could be a believable winner for our poll. But only one of these shows will take home that accolade and it's time to cross another off our list as we unveil your TVIV #6 of 2017!

Rarity posted:

Another great season from the best drama on TV.

bagrada posted:

I love shows that build suspense with a certain vibe and music.

[quote=fancy stats
Still has the best title cards in TV.
[/quote]

nate fisher posted:

Man does it scratch that 'what the hell is going on' LOST itch.

Jerusalem posted:

It was fun to see so many characters struggle to deal with the paranoia and fear.

Still the most enjoyable anxiety attack I will ever have.

Looten Plunder posted:

The balls on this show are massive.

HorseRenoir posted:

By far the most politically relevant show running on television right now.

6. MR. ROBOT (USA)
DOWN 1
98 points, listed 14 times

:toot: BEST SHOW TO NEVER PLACE AT #1

It's another year and another top 10 finish for Sam Esmail and Mr. Robot despite picking up no individual #1 placings. This year picked up the pace once more as the show rattled through a number of devastating plot twists. Is there time travel? Maybe, maybe not. (No, no there isn't). But no matter how wild this show wants to get the strength of Rami Malek's acting and Esmail's striking cinematography keeps us fully strapped in for the ride.

Prepare yourselves, friends. We're about to dive into the Top 5...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I actually wasn’t expecting this to be so high, but I’m happy about it. This ended up being my favourite season yet.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Oh man, I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but this might be the first year I've actually seen everything in the top 10.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I sort of dropped mister robot somewhere at the end of season 2. Should I change that? It started to really bore me for some reason.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, 2 put a lot of people off but 3 is very much considered a return to form.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Season 3 picks wayyyy the hell up and its midseason kicks any episode of s1's rear end handily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok we're into the Top 5 now and as is tradition this is the point where we drop the bullshit and get down to business. Better Call Saul. Legion. The Good Place. The Leftovers. Twin Peaks. One of these shows is walking away with the crown as TVIV's #1 Show of 2017. Any of these would be a worthy winner but there's only room at the top for one. Which show are we going to lose first? There's only one way to find out!

Yer Burnt posted:

Fascinating.

HorseRenoir posted:

Really enjoying this show.

achillesforever6 posted:

One for the ages.

Cart posted:

Just brilliant all around.

Joose Caboose posted:

Amazing acting and writing all around.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The acting was incredible.

CeeJee posted:

A master class in acting and directing.

Arist posted:

It’s hard to watch. It’s even harder to stop.

Looten Plunder posted:

Can't believe this show exists.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Every single person involved demonstrates master-level talent at TV-making.

And More posted:

I love the deliberate slow pacing, and the intense focus on character development.

Lost Season posted:

Each episode is enthralling in a way very few other shows have matched.

5. BETTER CALL SAUL (AMC)
DOWN 2
112 points, listed 18 times, #1 spot 1 time

:toot: BEST ON AMC

Better Call Saul continues its stunning run of success with it's third Top 5 finish in our poll. But despite this acclaim it's got to be a gutter for Vince Gilligan as he misses out on matching Breaking Bad's success yet again. Will Better Call Saul ever be able to reach that final goal? It's going to be at least another year before we find out.

• Locked thread