Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Gerrit Cole bay-bay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Kirios posted:

Gerrit Cole bay-bay!

Hahaha

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/jimbowdengm/status/952571152483913730

Thanks for preferring our mediocre package over well regarded Clint Frazier!

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
If Gerrit Cole turns out even as well as Charlie Morton, that's a steal for the Astros. Musgrove and Feliz could be good starters, but they're too inconsistent right now, and Moran has no chance of staying on the major league roster as long as Bregman is alive. Bullpen depth will need to be addressed at some point, but you added a quality starter while keeping better prospects at every position they traded (Martes, Whitley, White)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
That Gerrit Cole trade is the kind of pie-in-the-sky, doesn't-hurt-us-at-all, why-would-they-do-that trade that you see superfans on team forums post as hypothetical trades except this one was real

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The sold Moran at his tip top in value since being an Astro and somehow didn't sell low on Feliz and Musgrove after failing as starters.

To me the most value is Musgrove of the four, and at best he's probably a #3 starter (I personally think he has an excellent chance at being a #4 starter). I don't think Feliz will be anything more than a lower end reliever, he's been way too inconsistent and got demoted to AA last year for a reason. Plus, he's 24...it's not like he's as young as Martes. I don't think Colin Moran will be anything more than a backup corner infielder and pinch hitter. Jason Martin is a fourth outfielder.

This is a trade you make 100 out of 100 times for Gerrit Cole. I haven't seen the Astros fleece a team so badly since the Cosart trade. As a joke I tried to make that trade on MLB The Show and the Pirates basically laughed me out of the room. The gave up a 24 year and two 25 year olds, all of whom have had failings in the major leagues, plus Jason Martin, a 22 year old who played good but not great in AA and doesn't field well enough to play in center. He's the classic #4 outfielder.

Like...holy poo poo, how did they get away with this?

Kirios fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 15, 2018

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Kirios posted:

Like...holy poo poo, how did they get away with this?

I mean, for starters, it's the Pirates.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I think Kirios is underselling Feliz and Musgrove personally, but I make the trade all day every day

e: apparently Alvarez was off limits in the Cole trade as well which I find shocking

Intruder fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 15, 2018

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
How do you underrate a guy who gave up 117 hits and 71 runs in 121 major league innings and earned an ERA+ of 77? He had a WHIP of over 1.3 for god's sake

Feliz was bad and I am not sad to see him go

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
It's a testament to how loving cold the hot stove has been of late that this trade is still being talked about everywhere.

Honestly the most astonishing thing about everything from last season to now is how the Astros are an actual topic of conversation in the baseball world as something other than "oh and those guys exist, yeah".

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Feliz is, what, 22? He’s probably the lotto ticket that’s most likely to pay out. Musgrove, OTOH, is a #4 starter at best on this Astros team, and that’s only if we have a situation like last year where 4/5 of the starting rotation gets injured at the same time.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

How do you underrate a guy who gave up 117 hits and 71 runs in 121 major league innings and earned an ERA+ of 77? He had a WHIP of over 1.3 for god's sake

Feliz was bad and I am not sad to see him go

Martes looked bad too but like Feliz has the youth and stuff to make something of a career

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Michael Feliz is 24 and has a career ERA of 5.13 in the majors with a WHIP of 1.364. Yes, he strikes people out a lot, but he gets hit quite hard.

He...could pan out I suppose, but he's had nothing short of a horrible track record on three separate stints in the majors.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Feliz is the ultimate "great stuff, no command" type pitcher. Maybe a different coach could fix that, but he's been back and forth through the Astros system to no avail.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

At age 25

Michael Feliz: 121 IP, 5.13 ERA, 77 ERA+, 3.67 FIP, 1.364 WHIP, 12.8 K/9, 3.6 BB/9
Dallas Keuchel: 239 IP, 5.20 ERA, 78 ERA+, 4.78 FIP, 1.54 WHIP, 6.1 K/9, 3.4 BB/9

:v:

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Fair enough but I'm content to let someone take a lottery shot with him for the chance to fix a guy who's already had a really good season

e: "The Houston Astros are world champions for the first time in franchise history" will never get old

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 16, 2018

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I remember back in 2013, I would occasionally search the news for ‘future dynasty’ in hopes someone believed the Astros were one. All I got were 49ers articles espousing the virtues of Kaep.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'd trade Tucker, Paulino and Bukauskas for Yelich.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I believed the Astros could win it all when last season started. Going into 2018, they have essentially the same team, except with Mike Fiers and Collin McHugh replaced by Justin Verlander and Gerrit Cole

This is unreal. I still can't believe it

e: replaced in the rotation, obviously McHugh is still on the team

Intruder fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 20, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Hey Intruder, I was watching The Candy Tangerine Man and something caught my eye

Just think, there once was a time when that gastronomic disaster was easily available in freezers across the country.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That would have saved me some effort

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

I believed the Astros could win it all when last season started. Going into 2018, they have essentially the same team, except with Mike Fiers and Collin McHugh replaced by Justin Verlander and Gerrit Cole

This is unreal. I still can't believe it

e: replaced in the rotation, obviously McHugh is still on the team

Bullpen SHOULD be a bit better too. Just have to hope our guys stay healthy and we have a real shot of winning 100 games again.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Still no reliable lefty though. Wonder if Devo can keep up his weird dominance of left handed batters

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Why not toss a 2 year / 10 million dollar deal at Watson to round the bullpen up?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Jonathan Singleton suspended 100 games; Dean Deetz suspended 80 games.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22191369/jonathan-singleton-houston-astros-suspended-100-games-third-positive-drug-test

Dean Deetz showed promised in AA this year but floundered in AAA. Still he has decent stuff and projected as a long reliever / #5 starter in the majors...but this puts a huge damper on him having any chance of contributing anytime soon, if ever.

Singleton is a busty rear end bust who broke my heart as our long term first baseman. Did I mention he is a bust?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Jonathon “:420:” Singleton

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

After this season, in which he would have made $2 million but now will obviously make significantly less, Singleton is under contract for three more years for a total of $20.5 million. It's literally all team options though so he won't see a dime of it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm currently rewatching the 7th inning of game 5 for like the 20th time lol

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I’m going to watch Game 3 today, because it’s been a while. It’s the Fox feed, so no racism on-screen.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I have watched this something like 100 times and the thing I love every time is the air getting sucked out of the building. The crowd reaction is an all-time "oh poo poo."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bPVZdoOFxI

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 31, 2018

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

I have watched this something like 100 times and the thing I love every time is the air getting sucked out of the building. The crowd reaction is an all-time "oh poo poo."

Almost every reaction from the fans behind home plate is magical. Can you spot the one Astros fan?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

I never get sick of watching games from this series. My favorite moment is still Springer hitting the fireworks, though. It's just so loving perfect

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

You can literally hear the moment all hope evaporates from the crowd

If you told me they would score no more runs after this I'd say it was going to be at best a dicy game, but Peacock and Morton were up to the task and that is not a sentence I expected to utter at the beginning of the season

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I never get sick of watching games from this series. My favorite moment is still Springer hitting the fireworks, though. It's just so loving perfect

The moment the dinger hit the fireworks is the exact same moment I jumped out of my seat and accidentally flung my phone across the row where it shattered into a hundred pieces

:hehe: n o r e g r e t s :hehe:

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Mark Appel retired today. I guess not so much retired as washed out. He's now just some guy living in west Houston.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2757009-why-mark-appel-perhaps-the-biggest-bust-in-mlb-history-is-retiring-at-26

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Poor guy

Well not poor if he was smart with his signing bonus, but man. Could have had Kris Bryant

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
it's nuts to think that this team is probably going to be better than it was last year. Whether that means we'll have success again, I have no idea but man is it a good feeling going into the 2018 season

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
14 Days until spring training opens. :hfive:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

spaced ninja posted:

14 Days until spring training opens. :hfive:

Can't wait to kick some rear end once again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Verlander - Keuchel - Cole - McCullers - Morton is probably the best rotation in baseball. Combined with what is indisputably the best lineup in baseball, and I look forward to watching this team day in and day out.

This is peak Astros - enjoy it while it lasts friends.

• Locked thread