Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Now Parks and Recreation is ruined too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I’m not sure I’m going to give Runaways S2 a watch. It’s not about the differences between the comic and the TV show, it’s really more my issues with the dialog (at least every episode has at least one instance of a character saying something in an overly pompous, unrealistic way) and the fact that it’s 95% CW drama and 5% CW superhero show, and the 5% is badly done.

If they had did the MCU thing of having two teams to handle the material—big names for the dialog/personal stuff and drama, but talented people for the action stuff—then the show could be a really good superhero CW drama. Like S1/2 of Arrow or S1 of Flash. Those shows had their CW drama stuff, but it balanced nicely with the well done superhero stuff. Arrow has Oliver leaping across buildings and putting arrows in the necks of baddies between love angst stuff, Runaways has... people standing in a line.

I’m pretty sure Runaways is a good CW style drama—the Gossip Girl-loving wife is very happy with the show (especially the costuming)—but I’ve never been a fan of the genre. Which sucks, because I’ve been hyped for a property based on Runaways for ages and they freaking nailed the casting.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Runaways was always nearly entirely teen drama, it just had Punisher sometimes.

Lycus posted:

Nobody else wants to pull a Harmon and just be honest about what you did?

Easier to do when you were just kind of an rear end in a top hat rather than a rapist.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I posted the link about the Aziz story on my Facebook and then a couple people I know came to his defense and said the girl was full of poo poo and was asking for it and was abused intentionally for fame and money and to ruin Aziz's career.

I really loving hate some of the people I know.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

About Aziz's image vs. his actions: people have an incredible capacity for self-deception, and the longer you hold a truth about yourself to be self-evident without actively maintaining it, the easier it is to stray from it with justifications and value drift and plain old denial.

I'm sure in his mind he was ticking off all the gentlemanly consent-approving boxes with his self-depreciating comments and the lack of hearing a definitive "I do not consent to these sexual activities" type statement and her not outright slapping him while he was jamming his fingers down her throat and forcing her head on his dick. (seriously suppressing some :barf: here) His dating routine probably works with bile-churning frequency and it's been a long time since he's had to reconcile the Aziz in his mind's eye with the Aziz in the bedroom.

Please note that none of this is an excusing of his actions, very much the opposite. If you're so good at convincing yourself you're a woke male ally that you can make a living on it while behaving like this, for years, to the point that something like that woman's disgusting and heartbreaking story can happen repeatedly and not make you reevaluate yourself, you hosed up real bad.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I posted the link about the Aziz story on my Facebook and then a couple people I know came to his defense and said the girl was full of poo poo and was asking for it and was abused intentionally for fame and money and to ruin Aziz's career.

Ask them to name the girl.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I went AWOL on social media/Reddit and limited my blog/website checking to once a day at the beginning of this year and my life has been significantly better since.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
TVIV's Show of 2017 is The Good Place :toot:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Truly, this is the real Good Place.

Except Legion beat Twin Peaks so is it actually the Bad Place??

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Leftovers didn't win though so it's all good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Good Place is in the Lodge, and it can't leave. Write it in your diary.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

Truly, this is the real Good Place.

Except Legion beat Twin Peaks so is it actually the Bad Place??

American Vandal came top 10 so it's The Best Place

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Ansari's demeanor in his sets and in candid moments always set off a little alarm that something was off with the guy. He never comes off as sincere to me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah it's not even a little bit surprising that Aziz let his fame go to his head and basically acted like literally every frat boy in America

like "if she doesn't say no, you're good to go" sounds like it could be from his stand-up

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I like how even the dude who wrote the literal book on dating in the modern world and enlisted the help of sociologists and university professors and poo poo and spent years researching to do so couldn't stop himself from being a piece of poo poo to a woman despite her giving clear signals that she was uncomfortable. Way to go, douchebag.

Also I'm on multiple dating sites and I audibly groan every time I see a profile containing his stupid "Going to Whole Foods, want me to pick you up anything?" line, and I see profiles like that often :rolleyes:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
let's face it, sex is gross and ugly

i'm not being ironic, or kidding, and i'm also not saying my wife and i don't have sex, i'm just saying... sex is gross and ugly and weird even when you're doing it right

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HorseRenoir posted:

. I wonder how many else woke male celebrities are going to pull a Louis CK.

I'm starting to believe that if you're a dude and you're incredibly vocal about women's right we should assume you're a piece of poo poo.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wonder if Aziz was always like this or, as he became more famous and powerful, he latched onto PUA bullshit and turned into this monster.

Because that account with sticking his fingers in the girl’s mouth to then finger her sounds like textbook PU bullshit.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rhyno posted:

I'm starting to believe that if you're a dude and you're incredibly vocal about women's right we should assume you're a piece of poo poo.
gently caress, maybe I should talk less then :smith:

I'm a dude and vocal about women's rights but I also know I'd loving hate myself if I ever put a woman in a position of feeling super uncomfortable and scared like that.

Well, more than I already do.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

I wonder if Aziz was always like this or, as he became more famous and powerful, he latched onto PUA bullshit and turned into this monster.

Because that account with sticking his fingers in the girl’s mouth to then finger her sounds like textbook PU bullshit.

Based on twitter rumblings, it sounds like he's pretty much always been this way even before being famous.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

precision posted:

yeah it's not even a little bit surprising that Aziz let his fame go to his head and basically acted like literally every frat boy in America

like "if she doesn't say no, you're good to go" sounds like it could be from his stand-up
I've watched his standup and I really don't think he'd say anything like that.

What's with people in this thread falling over themselves to say they're unsurprised or how they always knew? How is "I was right" your first reaction to a sexual abuse scandal?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Vegetable posted:

What's with people in this thread falling over themselves to say they're unsurprised or how they always knew? How is "I was right" your first reaction to a sexual abuse scandal?

He was a popular minority comedian who did a lot of material about racism and sexism, people who are triggered by that are incredibly happy to have a legitimate reason to finally vocalize hating him. It's very much that "BLM are the real violent thugs", "people who protest sexism are the real sexists" school of rear end in a top hat.

Rhyno posted:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy Mann posted:

He was a popular minority comedian who did a lot of material about racism and sexism, people who are triggered by that are incredibly happy to have a legitimate reason to finally vocalize hating him. It's very much that "BLM are the real violent thugs", "people who protest sexism are the real sexists" school of rear end in a top hat.

I loving loved the dude, him and Louis were among what I considered the best of modern comedy.

Also if Donald Glover is outed as a monster I will blow this motherfucker up.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Holy poo poo, I know reddit is considered a toxic place, but I always just thought that meant the subreddits that were blantantly misogynist, racist, creepy, whatever. I typically only read the front page or all as a news/video/gif aggregator. The news reddit had the Aziz story and holy loving poo poo every loving commemt is about how this "millenial" woman is really the one in the wrong for retroactively withdrawing consent.

Like its not a few comments, but literally all the top ranked ones with no dissent. What. The. gently caress.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Reddit is just bad. I once commented that high school kids playing football needs further study because of CTE and I got downvoted to hell. Those mass votings have to be coordinated, or people just blindly upvote whatever is at the top.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I loving loved the dude, him and Louis were among what I considered the best of modern comedy.

Also if Donald Glover is outed as a monster I will blow this motherfucker up.

I agree with everything you just said. Seen them all perform live, love everything they've done, and it's so disappointing -- especially given what outspoken, intelligent, articulate, funny feminists Louis and Aziz are/were.

Donald Glover would break my heart. Same with John Mulaney.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I wasn't dogging on Ansari in general, i think he's often hilarious and master of none is legit amazing, but he always struck me as more than capable of being a douche bag. Like you're basically using the "virtue signaling" argument without explicitly using that term and that's just not cool or interesting. Nobody sane is happy or thinks they're getting Internet cred for being unsurprised at news like this.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mu Zeta posted:

Now Parks and Recreation is ruined too.

Hey hey hey.... tom was always an rear end in a top hat creep in P&R too. He's a mean little dwarf in the later seasons especially. Now you can hate him properly

It's not an amazing show but I like it anyway but goddamn no new ghosted until like March

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Mann posted:

Man who dedicated his life to whining about the stereotypes surrounding Indian men winds up perpetrating the worst stereotype of all by being a rapist.

Indian men are the worst sexual assaulters in my area, it's a well known problem. But... you can't stereotype. I personally know one guy i work with who accused of rape and i wouldn't put it past him at all. He got caught by my boss on site after hours setting up for a bit of a skulk n jerk watching the neighbour.

Then went back to India and got married to a woman none the wiser.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

http://people.com/tv/aziz-ansari-statement-report-sexual-encounter/

quote:

In September of last year, I met a woman at a party. We exchanged numbers. We texted back and forth and eventually went on a date. We went out to dinner, and afterwards we ended up engaging in sexual activity, which by all indications was completely consensual.

The next day, I got a text from her saying that although “it may have seemed okay,” upon further reflection, she felt uncomfortable. It was true that everything did seem okay to me, so when I heard that it was not the case for her, I was surprised and concerned. I took her words to heart and responded privately after taking the time to process what she had said.

I continue to support the movement that is happening in our culture. It is necessary and long overdue.

Well, at least there isn't any doubt about it anymore. :smith:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Donald Glover would break my heart.

Considering what he has spent the last decade rapping about I think it would have happened already if that was the case.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If Tom Hanks or Denzel Washington turn out to be sex criminals, I give up on Hollywood.

Napalm the whole town and start over from scratch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Worst thing about that crappy apology is that the story is such that he can likely get away with just that

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Worst thing about that crappy apology is that the story is such that he can likely get away with just that

One of my female friends was doubting the authenticity yesterday (something about how the way it was re-counted didn't seem plausible to her(???), how he doesn't look like a rapist, how the finger thing sounded too ridiculous to be real) but his response crushed all her doubt so who knows.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Rhyno posted:

This is the lefty version of homophobes who turn out to be gay.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

am0kgonzo posted:

This is the lefty version of homophobes who turn out to be gay.

Lol. That is hilarious.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rhyno posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTMow_7H47Q

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Let me be honest, as a teenager back in the 80's good chance I did things as bad as described by his victim. Several times I tried to pressure girlfriends into sex or when I was told they didn't want to go any further I used the 'back off and try again strategy' (which never worked). Also as a male I was in a presumed position of power. Not proud of it, and while I was a young and dumb its not an excuse. Still I was a teenager, and once I matured I came to realize I should have stopped at the first hint they didn't want to go any further. Still it is hard for me to understand how a thirty-something male who claims to be 'woke' can make those mistakes. It is creepy and complete abuse of power. That said I was reading on another forum where people were using terms like 'rape' and saying that his life should be ruined for what he did. While I am pretty sure we can all agree it wasn't rape, but should his life be ruined over this incident? Or am I allowing the mistakes made by a 15-16 year old me influence me when it comes to judging a 34 year old man?

Edit: It is funny how much of the media I consumed during the 80's I thought condoned my own behavior. Everything from misogynistic rap and 80's hair metal to the sexism of movies like Weird Science, Revenge of the Nerds, and even MASH (which I watched reruns daily). As a teenager I felt like this was how a guy was suppose to persuade a girl. Thankfully such bullshit has been left in the past (well mostly).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 15, 2018

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Vegetable posted:

I guess I might be the only one, but this one actually did surprise me. I will say that he seemed a bit up his own rear end in Master of None but I really didn't think he'd turn out too be a sex monster. And I've seen far too many people be like "oh that just sounds like a bad tindr date."

I'm just going to move to the middle of the woods with some cats and dogs.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

nate fisher posted:

Let me be honest, as a teenager back in the 80's good chance I did things as bad as described by his victim. Several times I tried to pressure girlfriends into sex or when I was told they didn't want to go any further I used the 'back off and try again strategy' (which never worked). Also as a male I was in a presumed position of power. Not proud of it, and while I was a young and dumb its not an excuse. Still I was a teenager, and once I matured I came to realize I should have stopped at the first hint they didn't want to go any further. Still it is hard for me to understand how a thirty-something male who claims to be 'woke' can make those mistakes. It is creepy and complete abuse of power. That said I was reading on another forum where people were using terms like 'rape' and saying that his life should be ruined for what he did. While I am pretty sure we can all agree it wasn't rape, but should his life be ruined over this incident? Or am I allowing the mistakes made by a 15-16 year old me influence me when it comes to judging a 34 year old man?

Edit: It is funny how much of the media I consumed during the 80's I thought condoned my own behavior. Everything from misogynistic rap and 80's hair metal to the sexism of movies like Weird Science, Revenge of the Nerds, and even MASH (which I watched reruns daily). As a teenager I felt like this was how a guy was suppose to persuade a girl. Thankfully such bullshit has been left in the past (well mostly).

I don't know that anyone thinks he should have his career ruined. I think there's one or two pieces in her account that gives me some pause (Though the article seems to leave this out, it seems as though after she emerges from the bathroom she sits naked with Ansari for a while. In no way does it excuse him, but at the very least I think it might send someone a confusing message) but I think it's to highlight that at the very least he has real problems seeing or respecting boundaries.

As you note, I think for a long time men were encouraged to believe that women just want chasing and that persistence pays off. Think of all the movies we see where the guy is a horndog and the woman says no but relents.

I've never done anything to the extent that Ansari has (how do you not pick up on a woman pretty much going limp when you're kissing her) but I'm sure that in the past before I knew better I may have pressured someone in a similar way, all while thinking hey this is what you do sometimes. But that came from a place of utter ignorance and by the time I was well into my 20s I learned to read situations better. I just think from the few stories there are about Ansari, he's still in that 'you just gotta persist' mindset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Van Helsing continues to be incredible. Was watching last night when MIssy Perygrym showed up and now my fiance (who adores her) is also hooked.

And the team just got pulled over by police cars. I love this loving show.

Edit: OMG THEY'RE GONNA BE CANNIBALS

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 15, 2018