Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The crime stuff in this show is good but nothing special a lot of the time. The lawyer and character development stuff is loving unreal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
This is the most bizarre top 5 show because it's a ghost that disappears between top-5 entries on the best-of lists.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I guess I really don't share most of the taste of this subforum. Of those 5 shows I love one of them a lot, while I know about the other four and have no interest to start them at all. But I hope my vote will be a deciding factor.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Glad I woke up just in time to see the top five unveiled! Rarity you have done such an amazing job with all this, thank you so much!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just four shows left now and you know that a win would mean so much to each of them. The Good Place has the chance to be the first show to ever break the comedy curse that keeps them from taking the top spot. Noah Hawley knows what it's like to taste success before with Fargo and he would love to be back there again with his new baby. Fans of The Leftovers have been rabid about this show for years and a #1 result would be validation for their years of dedication. David Lynch took eighteen years to create the third season of Twin Peaks and taking home the prize would mean that all that effort and all that time would be truly worth it. But only one show can have its dreams fulfilled and it's not going to be this one...

Corte posted:

Emotionally wrenching.

GobiasIndustries posted:

A beautiful, sad, confusing, sometimes goofy show.

nate fisher posted:

This is one of the best shows of the last 10 years.

ShakeZula posted:

No other show had a chance at this spot this year, and for that I will make no apologies.

karrethuun posted:

Great finale.

Looten Plunder posted:

The finale will go down as an all time great.

bagrada posted:

The ending sat right with me.

CeeJee posted:

The bar was set high for this to pull off a satisfying end and they succeeded admirably.

Yer Burnt posted:

Excellent service in concluding the emotional journeys of its main characters.

fancy stats posted:

I would have put this on the list solely for giving me the opportunity to sell them on lion sex boats.

Escobarbarian posted:

Like it was gonna take a minor miracle for this to be not 1 on this list, no question.

4. THE LEFTOVERS (HBO)
RE-ENTRY
113 points, listed 14 times, #1 spot 5 times

:toot: BEST ON HBO :toot:
:toot: BEST ENDING SHOW
:toot:

Oh no! It's all gone horribly wrong for Toxxupation as The Leftovers crashes out a distant fourth! And with the show wrapping up its final season it will never have another opportunity to make that challenge. But a #4 finish is not to be sniffed at by any means, especially with the limited extent of its fanbase. Be proud, guys. You did good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This was such a wonderful and perfect final season. But also OMG TWIN PEAKS IS IN THE TOP 3

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't know about you guys but my heart is in my mouth at this point. We've only got three possible contenders left. Twin Peaks, The Good Place and Legion are in an absolute battle to see who gets to bring this one home. You almost wish that they could all win but that's just not possible. Oh what cruel world we live in where one of these shows must settle for being the runner up to the runner up. Here's your #3 show of 2017!

Escobarbarian posted:

A minor miracle.

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's an art film.

fancy stats posted:

I feel like I'm still digesting this show.

CeeJee posted:

Nothing is like it or will ever be like it again.

Jerusalem posted:

I've never seen anything this good. It's television at a whole other level.

Problematic Pigeon posted:

It happened again. It happened...again.

achillesforever6 posted:

I loved solving the rubix cube of a plot with each episode adding a new wrinkle to figure out.

Heavy Metal posted:

Thrilling, engaging, really funny, affecting, earth-shattering, captivating, dream-weaving stuff.

HorseRenoir posted:

Some moments of this season feel game-changing and redefine what a television show can be.

bagrada posted:

We got a lot more answers than I expected.

And More posted:

An 18-hour masterpiece.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Just the fact that it came on TV for a few months of Sundays made everything a little better for me.

3. TWIN PEAKS (SHOWTIME)
NEW ENTRY
119 points, listed 13 times, #1 spot 8 times

:toot: HIGHEST AVERAGE :toot:
:toot: MOST #1 PLACEMENTS

Well, drat. I don't think the bookies would have given you good odds on this one. David Lynch's return to television has been one of the talking points of the year with critics being as bold as to list it as one of the best MOVIES of 2017. But despite all that Twin Peaks is going to have to be content with a third place finish. I'll tell you what though, on average Twin Peaks received over 9 points from each person who named it on their lists which is a phenomenal figure. No show in the history of our poll has ever done so well and no show is likely to do so again.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
did the people who put Legion over even WATCH Twin Peaks?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I didn't put either on, but Twin Peaks didn't grab me, honestly.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not just my favourite show of the year, but one of my new favourite pieces of work in any medium. There aren’t words to express my love and admiration for what Lynch, Frost, and MacLachlan created here.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
Twin Peaks is the show Legion wishes it was, and I loved Legion.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Yeah, I don't think I'll ever love any other TV show as much as Twin Peaks. Season three was perfection to me.

edit: I actually watched more shows this year just so I could vote for Twin Peaks.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Y'all are really putting Legion over Twin Peaks?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I bet even Hawley would be like “what the gently caress guys”

e: everyone yell at whowhatwhere for not making a list

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 15, 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

whowhatwhere posted:

did the people who put Legion over even WATCH Twin Peaks?

Twin Peaks is the show Legion wishes it was, and I loved Legion.

HorseRenoir posted:

Y'all are really putting Legion over Twin Peaks?

Escobarbarian posted:

I bet even Hawley would be like “what the gently caress guys”

OH GOD I WAS WRONG HERE'S THE CONTROVERSY :derp:

Escobarbarian posted:

e: everyone yell at whowhatwhere for not making a list

It wouldn't have helped. Unless he named Twin Peaks #1 and ignored Legion completely but what are the chances of that...

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Actually pretty good. I didn't see The Leftovers though so maybe TP would have been #2....

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
And so we stand, friends, here together at the end of all things. It's The Good Place vs. Legion and you've heard far too much from me so let's just get the gently caress on with it.

Gluten Freeman posted:

Super fun, super engaging.

nate fisher posted:

It works even better than I thought it would.

Jerusalem posted:

I'm really enjoying the ride.

adhuin posted:

This show is simply beautiful.

fancy stats posted:

A really fun and creative twist.

DarklyDreaming posted:

A story unafraid to go completely bugfuck.

DivisionPost posted:

This was the smartest show I’ve seen this year.

karrethuun posted:

Not quite sure what I watched.

ShakeZula posted:

Offbeat storytelling.

Spatula City posted:

Okay, my brain is breaking trying to talk about this.

achillesforever6 posted:

Just a mindfuck.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Very interesting plot and again a real mindfuck.”

Andrew_1985 posted:

A brilliant mind-gently caress. All aboard!

Pan Dulce posted:

Way too much of an acid trip to spend a minute of it with your eyeballs offscreen.

Rocksicles posted:

My fav show of the year that was an acid trip.

bagrada posted:

X-Men on acid.

2. LEGION (FX)
NEW ENTRY
128 points, listed 20 times, #1 spot 3 times

:toot: BEST ON FX :toot:
:toot: BEST DRAMA :toot:
:toot: BEST NEW SHOW

He's done it again, folks! Noah Hawley has played an absolute blinder in this show of insanity about insanity. It's come to storm our charts like an elder statesman except actually maybe it's next year's season that finished #2 in our poll and it did it all while doing a Bollywood dance. Who the gently caress knows, it's Legion.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

YEAH I GOT WHAT I WANTED

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
While I don’t think it’s as good as the other shows in the top 5 (and man did that finale stink), Legion had enough absolutely superb cinematography, surrealist set pieces, and fun writing to deserve a high placement. And holy gently caress were Dan Stevens and Aubrey Plaza good.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok it's just about time to celebrate TVIV's #1 Show of 2017 but before we do we'd better clear up the bits and pieces. First here's the countdown of this year's Top Networks!

10. ABC (77 points)
9. USA (112 points)
8. Showtime (127 points)
7. Amazon (135 points)
6. The CW (153 points)
5. AMC (173 points)
4. NBC (177 points)
3. FX (201 points)
2. HBO (285 points)
1. Netflix (419 points)

In the ongoing clash of the titans between HBO and Netflix we saw Netflix steal back the crown through sheer virtue of volume. While none of their shows broke into the triple figures they were responsible for over 20% of all shows listed. Meanwhile NBC returns to the top 5 and takes the title of best basic channel despite only having one show listed. That show just happened to be the overall number one. And Amazon have broken into the top 10 for the first time! Perhaps there's a new threat on the horizon for next year.

As is tradition we also have our two goon awards to give out. The prize for 2017's Sharpest Clairvoyant is given to the goon who named the most of this year's top 10 in their list. And this year the one who most represents the masses is... Arist!

And of course we can't forget the title of 2017's Biggest Hipster, awarded to the goon who ignored the most of this year's most beloved offerings. This was a close one, folks. It went all the way down to a tie-breaker and Senerio put in a good effort but claiming the prize for a record second year in a row it's BSam!

But it's put the attention where it matters, on our #1 Show of 2017. Let's take it away...

Tiggum posted:

This show doesn't sound very good and I think it's pretty much impossible to sell it effectively.

Joose Caboose posted:

Simply the best show on television.

Pan Dulce posted:

The hype is real.

bagrada posted:

Funny and touching and often surprising.

karrethuun posted:

Constantly surprising me.

Regy Rusty posted:

I look forward to it more than anything every week.

GobiasIndustries posted:

They've nailed everything pretty flawlessly so far.

Cart posted:

An absolute triumph of ambition.

Looten Plunder posted:

This season could have gone of the rails so easily but it only got better.

Spinning off in directions with such great speed yet never feeling rushed or out of left field.

fancy stats posted:

They found a way to not only keep the show fresh, but they also managed to make it even more entertaining.

adhuin posted:

Hijinks ensued.

cant cook creole breem posted:

They basically crammed a whole season into the first episode. And then things get fast.

Spatula City posted:

The plot moves like an ostrich with its butt on fire.

Rarity posted:

Balls to the wall pacing.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Rushing through story at an insane pace.

Arist posted:

How can a show be so willing to blow itself up in so many different ways?

Escobarbarian posted:

“HOLY CRAP THEY BLEW UP EVERYTHING!

DarklyDreaming posted:

Wrote a check no one expected the show could cash, then cashed it and wrote a dozen more.

Zaggitz posted:

Partly because it's near perfect tv. Partly because Occ hates it and I hate Occ.

:siren: DO NOT watch this clip if you're intended to start watching the show :siren:

1. THE GOOD PLACE (NBC)
UP 9
177 points, listed 25 times, #1 spot 6 times

:toot: BEST ON NBC :toot:
:toot: BEST COMEDY :toot:
:toot: MOST LISTED SHOW :toot:

It was a close-run race for much of the voting with all of the top four taking their turn at the top but as the deadline approached The Good Place really took over to emerge as a clear and decisive winner. Michael Schur's latest offering blends a feel-good tone with acerbic jokes and a plot that moves like a runaway train and is a very worthy show to be named not just TVIV's Show of 2017 but also [b]the first comedy to ever be TVIV's #1
. Goongratulations!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

While I don’t think it’s as good as the other shows in the top 5 (and man did that finale stink), Legion had enough absolutely superb cinematography, surrealist set pieces, and fun writing to deserve a high placement. And holy gently caress were Dan Stevens and Aubrey Plaza good.

Wait. Aubrey Plaza is in that show? I was actually sort of wondering what she was up to these days.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I can't stop rewatching the Legion bolero sequence from episode 7 on youtube. Good stuff.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
RE: Legion: It had great setpieces and Aubrey Plaza was amazing, but Syd was just terrible.

Also Good Place is a deserved win. Truly an amazing comedy.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Was Legion better than Fargo? I haven't gotten around to watching it because Fargo S3 left such a sour taste in my mouth and I'm not sure if Hawley could adapt one of my favorite comic runs ever without disappointing me.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Wow. Good Place won by 49 points. That's a massive lead.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'll be waiting in the lobby if anyone wants stock market tips

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The Good Place would have been very high on my list if I didn't wait a week after submitting my list to watch it :eng99:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

Wait. Aubrey Plaza is in that show? I was actually sort of wondering what she was up to these days.

Yeah and it’s her best work ever.

The Good Place is the best network sitcom running by a country mile and very possibly Michael Schur’s finest work, which is saying a hell of a lot. It’s ambitious as hell and races through plot like its running out of time while also being absolutely hilarious and having an incredible ensemble cast. An entirely deserving first place.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I woulda been happy with Leftovers not winning, I woulda been happier with the Good Place getting higher than the Leftovers. but this? This is true bliss.

Thank you TVIV.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Thanks for your efforts Rarity, this was fun.

And I guess I need to get around to watching Better Call Saul, there was a top 10 I hadn't seen after all. Maybe after I get through Breaking Bad.... I watched season 1 from netflix dvd back in the day but haven't gotten back to it yet. Meanwhile I think my father is on his fourth pass through a Breaking Bad Marathon. He was genuinely torn because they ran BB and GOT marathons at the same time a few weeks ago.

Good Place is amazing but I'm curious how long they can keep it up. And Danson and D'Arcy Carden (Janet) are on a league above the rest of the cast, who aren't as good as the P&R and B99 casts characters imho. Though to be fair they are restrained a bit by story necessities.

edit: I meant characters

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah I was surprised when The Good Place took a lead in the closing stretches but I can't say I'm unhappy. The show is loving relentless in its pace and you never know where it's going next and it's really funny and I want Tahani to be my soulmate. I guess it turns out the way for a comedy to win our poll is to have better storylines than most dramas.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Thanks to Rarity and all the posters who made Top 10 lists. A lot of effort and TV watching well spent!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok, a few gushy parts.

Thanks to Occ for organising this and making an OP and then only linking to three of the lists before going off to make a comic thread instead.

Thanks to the goons who commented along both in the thread and in Discord, which has been a riot the past hour or two.

Thanks to all the voters for adding to the excitement. While I have that reputation as the elitist guy at times I gotta say this is just a loving awesome list. Man we were blessed with great TV this year. Special NO-THANKS to www of course for helping his stupid parents move instead of writing about television on the internet

And of course, thank you so much to Rarity for sorting through our lists, making up the results, and doing this awesome and exciting countdown. it got especially fun when i smoked right before the deuce/orville thing

I love you TVIV!!!!!!!!! except Zaggitz

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Yeah, this was a blast. Thanks for making it happen, Rarity!

I'll make sure to check out The Deuce and The Good Place.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Good Place deserves it

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
A yeoman’s work as usual, Rarity. Thanks for doing this.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
By the way for the results reveal do people prefer the fast one-by-one method I used this year or the more measured dump-a-bunch-at-once way I did it in years past? Asking for next year.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I liked this way but I think it could be good to organise the posts ahead of time and then have specific like 3-ish minute breaks between each reveal.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

This way was good so each show in the top 20 gets a brief time for comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rarity posted:

By the way for the results reveal do people prefer the fast one-by-one method I used this year or the more measured dump-a-bunch-at-once way I did it in years past? Asking for next year.

I liked the way you did it this year, but I also didn't get to read it till AFTER you were all done so maybe I would have been frustrated having to wait otherwise? I did also really enjoy the running commentary being posted as people waited for the next on the list, it was like a GDT.

Thanks Rarity, and thanks TVIV because there are a lot of interesting shows I have to make sure to check out when I get a chance that I'd never have known about if it wasn't for all your lists. I mean, sure you all hosed up by not making Twin Peaks Number 1 but I can't complain about Legion doing so well because it really is an exceptional show.

Also I loved The Orville a lot but holy gently caress it beat The Deuce? :psyduck:

• Locked thread