Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Progress update: Data migration from legacy Firefox SALR is about half done; my plan is to have manual migration available in a new settings pane of legacy SALR that will annoyingly automatically open once when it receives said update. At this stage, I already have it building a new Redux settings string based on the Redux defaults and the existing legacy SALR user notes. May or may not go through the tedium of finding all of the individual settings matchups; I'll probably do a few that seem important but I encourage former legacy Firefox SALR users to check out all the new and different options in Redux, anyway.

Before I finish/push that out to the legacy Firefox SALR users, though, I want to look into how easy it'd be to add custom poster backgrounds & avatar hiding to Redux because then we could import all of those in one go. Once everything's available and the version with migration is in place, I'll recommend anyone still hanging onto ESR just for legacy SALR make the jump.

e: I do like the idea of having more control over where the toolbar button links open but at the moment that is going to be lower priority
e2: had some time tonight so I'm more or less done with a quick user background color thing

astral fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

astral posted:

Before I finish/push that out to the legacy Firefox SALR users, though, I want to look into how easy it'd be to add custom poster backgrounds & avatar hiding to Redux because then we could import all of those in one go. Once everything's available and the version with migration is in place, I'll recommend anyone still hanging onto ESR just for legacy SALR make the jump.
While it's probably not too hard to add backgrounds (add a new key 'background' that points to a color in the existing notes structure, then just add additional color picker on notes modal), I want to sit down and rewrite a large portion of how this stuff is handled (especially with regards to the other highlighting stuff). Namely, right now we basically iterate through table.post a bunch of times for all the different highlighting/notes options which is a bit inefficient when we realistically should just loop through all posts on the page once, checking if the post is by friend/OP/self, does the post contain a quote by self, do I have a user note for this person, etc. I also want to combine friendListID into the user notes structure so that the final structure would be:
code:
{
  <user_id>: {
    "is_friend": null|boolean,
    "note": null|string,
    "color": null|string,
    "background": null|string
  }
}

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm having an issue about encoding that's relatively inconsistent. Sometimes when quoting posts it'll look like this:

Darth Walrus posted:

For context, this is functionally identical to Tories getting super excited about Corbyn winning the leadership contest. Only, y�know, morality-flipped (I feel that�s pretty safe to say even if you don�t like the US Democrats).

In case that displays fine for you:

It only happens from certain post(er?)s so I suspect it's a character encoding thing.

On Firefox WebEx SALR Version: 2.1.8.13a2

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

I'm having an issue about encoding that's relatively inconsistent. Sometimes when quoting posts it'll look like this:

In case that displays fine for you:

It only happens from certain post(er?)s so I suspect it's a character encoding thing.

On Firefox WebEx SALR Version: 2.1.8.13a2

Can reproduce, will check into it. That post has smart quotes in it, which is probably what accounts for the inconsistency you're seeing.

e: Found the problem, fixed for next Firefox version of SALR redux. Thanks a ton for the report! ’

astral fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 12, 2018

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Hrm. I just 'upgraded' to 57 and installed Redux, but when I used the quick reply window the server spat out a message that stated something in the post request was malformed, and for security reasons they didn't support third-party add-ons like SALR. Did I gently caress something up (quite possibly), or is this something that just came up?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

Hrm. I just 'upgraded' to 57 and installed Redux, but when I used the quick reply window the server spat out a message that stated something in the post request was malformed, and for security reasons they didn't support third-party add-ons like SALR. Did I gently caress something up (quite possibly), or is this something that just came up?

Dunno. I haven't seen that issue.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren: New Firefox SALR Redux release out on addons.mozilla.org!

Notes:

quote:

• New: Highlight the backgrounds of your favorite (or least favorite) users' posts! Just click "Edit Note" and type in a background color.
  • New: Hide Avatar toggle! Find it to the right of the "Edit Note" button. This lets you banish specific users' avatars to the abyss. They'll still display for a fraction of a second as the page is loading, but we have top men figuring out if we can reduce or eliminate even that. Don't want the feature? There's a setting!
  • New: Settings page now has a favicon in Firefox!
  • Fix: Quick Reply no longer thinks the forums are sending the reply page in UTF-8 encoding (because they aren't). This bug was accidentally introduced in the previous alpha release as part of the boogeyman warding. Rest assured, the boogeyman is still out there but you remain safe for now!
  • Fix: The Misc Commands on the settings page no longer are evil traps designed to break your browsing experience! Clearing local or sync user notes will no longer stop user notes (or those other user-note-migrating buttons) from working.
  • Some more minor fixes

Bieeardo posted:

most common cause: you need to either enable third-party cookies ('from visisted' is enough) or add a cookie exception to always allow https://forums.somethingawful.com (edit: this is fixed in Firefox 58 btw)

p.s. There'll soon(tm) be a migration option from Legacy Firefox SALR where you press a button and get a settings string to bring over your notes and whatnot so I still recommend people hold off for a bit if they're on ESR!

astral fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 13, 2018

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That's probably it! Thanks a lot.

Thanks to everybody who's worked on SALR since the beginning, too. I've got so much use out of these addons, it beggars imagination.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Any legacy SALR users still on Firefox 52 who are itching to upgrade to 57 want to alpha test manual migration?
e: may also work if you're still on 55-56 for some reason but no guarantees/support for using an unsupported version

If so, coming soon is an unsigned dev build of legacy SALR which adds a new "Migrate!" pane to SALR config below the about pane.

e: Here it is! https://bintray.com/salr/salr-firefox/download_file?file_path=salastread_v4.1.4-dev.2.xpi
Make sure to backup your profile before doing anything crazy.

astral fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 14, 2018

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren: Firefox SALR Redux v2.1.8.13a5 is out on addons.mozilla.org!

Notes:

quote:

• Fixed settings backup button injecting some junk from a prototype.

• YOU CAN NOW MIGRATE YOUR NOTES/HIDDEN AVATARS FROM LEGACY FIREFOX SALR (even if you have already updated your Firefox to 57+)!
    First, make sure you're using at least this version (2.1.8.13a5) of SALR Redux for the best experience (older versions will still work, but the settings output button adds in some junk).
    Then, visit the SALR Migration Station and follow its instructions:
    https://salr-firefox.github.io/migrationstation/

Note: Legacy SALR Migration Station, like the Firefox SALR Redux, is considered alpha quality.

edit: if you're still on ESR I recommend waiting for the final version of legacy SALR with built-in migration for more personalized options, but the website works too if you don't want to wait / don't mind re-setting your other settings

astral fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 14, 2018

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

In the old SALR, it was possible to modify keyboard shortcuts through about:config--is there anything like that in redux? Or will there be, in the future?

Thank you guys so much for maintaining this, you're saints.

blackcat12951
Oct 23, 2012

HELLCAT BESTCAT

Doctor Rope
Migration worked fine.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

In the old SALR, it was possible to modify keyboard shortcuts through about :config--is there anything like that in redux? Or will there be, in the future?

Thank you guys so much for maintaining this, you're saints.

No, but it's planned.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Does the image upload extension only work in firefox? Used to be when I dragged images into the reply box in chrome it would upload images, but that doesn't seem to be working for me anymore.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

El Mero Mero posted:

Does the image upload extension only work in firefox? Used to be when I dragged images into the reply box in chrome it would upload images, but that doesn't seem to be working for me anymore.

It's been broken/disabled for a while in Redux, but good news! The next major release of Redux for chrome will have the revamped imgur upload along with more new features/improvements/fixes.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

astral posted:

It's been broken/disabled for a while in Redux, but good news! The next major release of Redux for chrome will have the revamped imgur upload along with more new features/improvements/fixes.

hooray!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Progress update: hotkey fixes are done and will be in the next release; going to look into why quick reply preview isn't rendering emotes next

e: always using this post to test something.
https://gfycat.com/insecurefreeeasteuropeanshepherd

👍😁🎉😎😃

astral fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 9, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Finally updated. There's a weird bar under everyone's posts though, any reason for that?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

axeil posted:

Finally updated. There's a weird bar under everyone's posts though, any reason for that?

Known issue; as a workaround you can temporarily switch to 24hr time

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

astral posted:

Thanks! That appears to have fixed it. Still getting used to the new Firefox in other ways.

Is there a way to mimic the old Quick Reply window behavior where it pops out into a new window?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

axeil posted:

Thanks! That appears to have fixed it. Still getting used to the new Firefox in other ways.

Is there a way to mimic the old Quick Reply window behavior where it pops out into a new window?

Not currently, but I agree it'd be nice to have eventually.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

astral posted:

Gotcha. One last thing, I know the old version had the ability to remove "The Something Awful Forums" from the headers of pages. Any way to do that now?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

astral posted:

Seconded if possible. Sometimes I like to refer to a post that is different than the one I am currently quoting/responding to and/or multi-quoting.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

axeil posted:

Gotcha. One last thing, I know the old version had the ability to remove "The Something Awful Forums" from the headers of pages. Any way to do that now?

Not presently, though it wouldn't be difficult to add eventually.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren: Firefox SALR Redux v2.1.8.13a6 is out on addons.mozilla.org!

Notes:

quote:

• Updated thread links to point to the new SALR thread
  • Fixed hotkeys (quick reply formatting & thread navigation)
  • Fixed emotes not showing up in quick preview pane
Previous notes:

quote:

• Fixed settings backup button injecting some junk.

• YOU CAN NOW MIGRATE YOUR NOTES/HIDDEN AVATARS FROM LEGACY FIREFOX SALR (even if you have already updated your Firefox to 57+)!
    First, make sure you're using at least this version (2.1.8.13a5) of SALR Redux for the best experience (older versions will still work, but the settings output button adds in some junk).
    Then, visit the SALR Migration Station and follow its instructions:
    https://salr-firefox.github.io/migrationstation/

Note: Legacy SALR Migration Station, like the Firefox SALR Redux, is considered alpha quality.
If you're still on ESR I recommend waiting for the final version of legacy SALR with built-in migration for more personalized options, but the website works too if you don't want to wait / don't mind re-setting your other settings.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My r button works again! How I've missed you!

Thanks for the work, astral :buddy:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

astral posted:

:siren: Firefox SALR Redux v2.1.8.13a6 is out on addons.mozilla.org!

Notes:

Previous notes:

If you're still on ESR I recommend waiting for the final version of legacy SALR with built-in migration for more personalized options, but the website works too if you don't want to wait / don't mind re-setting your other settings.

A dumb question: do you need to manually download the update or will it auto-update?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

axeil posted:

A dumb question: do you need to manually download the update or will it auto-update?

It'll auto-update eventually. If you don't want to wait, you can force an auto-update from your addons page or manually download the latest version from a.m.o.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

axeil posted:

astral posted:

I'm on 24 hour time and still getting the bar.

When I click on the smiley, text, or imgur buttons; I get half a pop out on the left side. Is that just me or ?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Oh thank you the formatting hotkeys work again, I hadn't realized how much I missed them.

E: I only get the weird bar beneath posts after I update the SALR; after I refresh the page, it goes away. :iiam:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

wormil posted:

I'm on 24 hour time and still getting the bar.

Hmm, any special zoom level or custom font set or anything? Eventually I'd like to get some CSS in there to widen it either way.

quote:

When I click on the smiley, text, or imgur buttons; I get half a pop out on the left side. Is that just me or ?
I've had that happen on the odd occasion, but haven't had a chance to try to reproduce it/figure out what causes it. In the meantime you can temporarily resize the browser window to make it realize it screwed up.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

E: I only get the weird bar beneath posts after I update the SALR; after I refresh the page, it goes away. :iiam:

This unfortunately happens because of a difference in how chrome and firefox insert content scripts - Firefox adds them to all existing tabs by default with no option to opt out of that, while Chrome doesn't. That means when the extension updates, all the stuff gets added to the page again. A refresh clears it up, as mentioned.

astral fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 15, 2018

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
None of my settings are saving after I close Firefox. What can I do to fix this?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

No. 9 posted:

None of my settings are saving after I close Firefox. What can I do to fix this?

Two possibilities come to mind right away: Do you have Firefox set to clear history when it closes, or are you always browsing privately?

Ultimately this may come down to SALR Redux still using localStorage to store (most of) its extension data, which is vulnerable to a few things. Eventually it'll get migrated to use storage.local/storage.sync which only should get cleared if you uninstall the extension entirely.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

astral posted:

Hmm, any special zoom level or custom font set or anything? Eventually I'd like to get some CSS in there to widen it either way.

Here are all my extensions. Page size 100%. Default font is Tahoma size 16. I tried changing the font back to the default and it made no difference.

astral posted:

I've had that happen on the odd occasion...

The pop out is working fine today and I didn't change anything. :shrug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

wormil posted:

Here are all my extensions. Page size 100%. Default font is Tahoma size 16. I tried changing the font back to the default and it made no difference.

Please right click on the time in a post, Inspect Element, go to the Computed tab, and scroll down to paste what the font-family and font-size say if possible.

Beyond that I really am at a loss; in theory the CSS I intend to add should fix it at least.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

astral posted:

Please right click on the time in a post, Inspect Element, go to the Computed tab, and scroll down to paste what the font-family and font-size say if possible.

Beyond that I really am at a loss; in theory the CSS I intend to add should fix it at least.

font-family sans-serif, Roboto
font-size 11px

astral
Apr 26, 2004

wormil posted:

font-family sans-serif, Roboto
font-size 11px

Everything is as it should; that's really bizarre. I'll try to get a CSS fix into the next update that should help.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

When this happens to me it's always very obviously caused by the second SOAP and 1 buttons

/e and goes away on refresh

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Found a live preview bug:

When submitted, it will actually show up as :haw:, not :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Just curious: since I've been SALR-less for a while, I found that posting a normal YouTube link into the forums proper formatted it so it was embedded. In quick reply, this works as the link just posting as copied and not formatted to the friendly-embedded format. Is there a way to change it so I don't have to fiddle when quick replying?