Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Going to put in a claim on Tiger Bite/Son of a Bitch Sauce. I have no idea what it is, but have some ideas for a hot sauce to make.

Going to be a while, though, as I want to do a fermented sauce.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Going to put in a claim on Tiger Bite/Son of a Bitch Sauce. I have no idea what it is, but have some ideas for a hot sauce to make.

Going to be a while, though, as I want to do a fermented sauce.

We can't wait, even though we will have to.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Samizdata posted:

We can't wait, even though we will have to.

I'm picking up the last of the stuff for it tomorrow, already got a bunch of nice bright orange peppers ready to go...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm picking up the last of the stuff for it tomorrow, already got a bunch of nice bright orange peppers ready to go...

[ears perk up like those of the dog on the dog food can]

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Samizdata posted:

[ears perk up like those of the dog on the dog food can]

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Looking good, Billy Ray!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It has begun!

Peppers, garlic, ginger, and a little star anise for the ferment. Updates in a couple weeks once this is ready to have the rest of the spices added and be smoothed out. :v:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

It has begun!

Peppers, garlic, ginger, and a little star anise for the ferment. Updates in a couple weeks once this is ready to have the rest of the spices added and be smoothed out. :v:

Would!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My families personal misfortune is the threads gain. Tonight I make bollocks monkey in my mom's kitchen. After I get flour from WinCo.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Liquid Communism posted:

It has begun!

since it's going to be a couple weeks, if you want to post now about the rest of what you're going to put in it, i can post some explanations of the real thing. but if you want to wait for that, that's cool, too :)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Phone posting, bollocks monkey cookie dough worked well in a pizzelle maker, just waiting for oven ones to finish.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
COOKING CHALLENGE: Bollocks Monkey
INTERPRETATION: Nutty, spicy cookies.

The past few days have been long and rough. So much so that I decided to confiscate my mom's kitchen while she was in the hospital. And do my laundry since my apartment blocks washers and dryers are on the fritz pretty often.

I used a generic “Mexican” chocolate cookie as a template, one that didn't actually use any Mexican chocolate. That could not stand! My Mexican chocolate cookie would use over 90% Mexican chocolate even if that meant googling how to melt blocks of Mexican chocolate!

Instead of getting a nice, thick, dense cookie from the generic recipe I got a cookie that spread thin and melted in the mouth. I don’t know if the chocolate substitution was that big a deal or if I forgot another ingredient along the way.

I know this cookie can be improved, I’m just not sure how right now. Unfortunately, the photos can’t be improved.

Bollocks Monkey ingredients and recipe posted:

1st set of ingredients: Chocolate
1 brick of Mexican hot chocolate like Abuelita’s
(Makes 1/4th a cup of hot chocolate powder after it’s hit with a hammer repeatedly. A much more efficient, effective, and satisfying experience than buying and using a micro-grater)
2 tablespoons worth of milk chocolate.
1 stick unsweetened butter (8 tbsp)

2 set of ingredients: Flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (I forgot to add this)

3rd set of ingredients: Sugar
½ cup of packed light brown sugar (I almost added 1 cup by accident, so I eyeballed half of that.)
¼ cup of sugar (Eyeballed this too)
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
2 large eggs

Optional ingredients for an authentic bollock of a monkey:
6(?) tablespoons of coarsely chopped and roasted almonds. (I only used three tablespoons and that wound up not being enough.)
Those big grains of sugar to simulate lice (did not attempt, too unsure of the texture)
Chocolate sprinkles to simulate hair (did not attempt, too cheap to buy them)
White chocolate drizzle to simulate bollock juice (did not attempt, too tired)

Part 0: Prep

Preheat oven to 325 degrees, or get out your pizzelle maker.

Part 1: Chocolate

Put the Mexican hot chocolate brick into a few plastic bags and wack a hammer against it until it’s mostly powdered.

Melt the powder and 2 tablespoons of milk chocolate wafers together in a double boiler or a microwave, stirring frequently

If you're nuking the chocolate, nuke it for 15-30 seconds at a time, stir, and nuke it again until you get the desired results.

The chocolate is melted enough when it easily drops off a fork.

Then add a stick of butter to the chocolate, stirring it until the butter is completely melted.

Put to the side and let it cool.

Part 2: Flour

Sift the flour, chili powder, baking soda, salt, and cayenne pepper together in a bowl.

If you don’t have a sifter then hope that your idea to improvise with a slotted spoon works.

Put it to the side.

Part 3: Sugar

Add brown sugar, sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs to a large bowl, beat on slow until well blended.

(I forgot to take a pic)

Part 4: Blending

Pour the melted chocolate into the sugar batter and blend them well.

(forgot to take a pic here too)

Then add the flour to the combined batter. Blend together on low until all the flour is gone.

Then add the toasted almonds.

Part 5: Baking

Chill the batter half an hour in a fridge.

Scoop the cookie dough onto a baking sheet using a cookie dough scooper. One cookie dough scoops worth of batter will expand to the size of a CD, so plan accordingly.

Then bake the cookies.

For a chewier cookie, bake for a total of 14 minutes. Rotate the cooking tray at the 7 minute mark.

For a crispier cookie, bake for a total of 18 minutes. Rotate the cooking tray at the 9 minute mark.

For a pizzelle maker, set yours to 3, add a cookie dough scopes worth of batter, and cook for 40-45 seconds.

If everything goes well you get copper colored pizzelles and big cookie disks.

Both types of cookie had a spicy, nutty taste to them that complemented the chocolate. And their thin nature gave the cookies a nice firm crunch. But the high amount of sugar and butter resulted in cookies that would melt in the mouth with every bite. The closest comparison that I can think of would be if someone turned cotton candy into a chocolate cookie.

The cookies seemed to taste the best as pizzelles. They had a light, crispy, airy quality that I never experienced in a cookie before. I honestly regret not being able to photograph the many air pockets that filled the pizzelles. With that said, getting the batter portions and the timing right is very difficult.

If you decide to bake them in an oven, try pairing the finished cookies with something like ice cream or cheesecake.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 11, 2018

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
RandomPaul, that was fantastic. I especially like the optional ingredients, and if I ever make your monkey bollocks I'll need to include them.

I'm back home from travelling, and this weekend is free for kitchen shenanigans so I'm stepping on toes and other body parts and claiming:
Doom Rooster
Funeral Potatoes
Small Fry Dirt Bean

I've got a kind of a theme going on, clearly. I saw in the OP that others have claimed Doom Rooster and Funeral Potatoes but I'm quite happy to see other's interpretations of these delightful names if they're OK with me unleashing my (foolish) thoughts onto a plate as well.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

All right let's talk about cocktails.

Actually, first, let me get my pride out of the way:

There. That's what I should have done all along. (apple pie with cocoa powder stenciled on)

Now, on to drinking. I would like to begin with a disclaimer that I do not drink as much as all these half empty liquor bottles will make it seem like I do, I live with a handful of other people and it's a collective liquor cabinet.

First up, Charles Dickens' Own Punch. The first thing I thought of when I read this name was the Zombie Hemingway, a drink I used to order at a downtown Seattle bar which has since closed - it was 2 shots each of 3 kinds of rum and pineapple juice. They had a two-per-customer limit. So this drink is inspired by that - I decided gin was the right spirit for a Dickens drink, and coincidentally I really like gin so we've got a solid four gins on hand.

Oh, side note, these photos are all courtesy of one of my roommates, who is also a goon and who has been lurking in this thread.

I decided on a lemon infused gin, the whiskey barrel aged gin, and the Costco gin, since the fourth one was lavender infused and the flavor didn't seem right for a punch. Punches have fruit juice, so the drink is one part of each of the gins and three parts apple juice. (pictured farther down, but it doesn't look like much.) Honestly it was delicious, surprisingly so. I might make this again.

Next up: the Prairie Fire. Now, my first thought here was a bourbon and some Fireball. But my roommate (who is from the Midwest) convinced me that instead the thing to do was mix the most Midwestern things we had on hand, and then set it on fire. Since we don't keep economic depression or opioid addiction on hand, this is what we've got:

The Sam's club vodka is substituting for the grain alcohol that he informs me would be more traditional.

So, this "cocktail" starts with corn, just, uh, dropped in the glass, and then a couple shots of vodka, and then a float of bacardi 151 and some fire.

We did not drink this. It also stayed on fire way longer than I anticipated, so we kinda couldn't.

The last drink was a Between The Sheets. My first impulse here was to make a Sex on the Beach, which I thought was a rum drink and I could just substitute the rum for vodka and claim I'd taken out the beach. But it turns out to be peach schnapps, vodka, cranberry juice, and orange juice, so... I just made a cocktail kinda like that, with blackberry juice, vodka, and Chambord. It was pretty good, nothing to dislike there.

The Prairie Fire is still on fire.

So I guess technically I've made these three cocktails, but the night is young.

For a more exciting Between the Sheets, we research layered shots and try to make something that's white-something else-white. We can't quite get the densities to work, and we stop when we curdle the milk in the blackberry juice.

Just to be thorough, I also mix up a Prairie Fire according to my original idea (bourbon and fireball).

Wait, poo poo, that's Seahawks bourbon, that won't do at all.

There we go.

This drink was... Unremarkable. It's just less cinnamon-y and slightly sweeter fireball.

The Prairie Fire has finally gone out! We agree that we still don't want to drink it.

legendof fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 11, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you could do an infused corn, instead of despair-flavored corn packet. replace both the bacardi and the vodka with just a straight grain alcohol, then do the flambe to reduce alcohol content

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Discussion > Goons With Spoons > Culturally Ignorant Cuisine: The Prairie Fire is still on fire.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

RandomPauI posted:

COOKING CHALLENGE: Bollocks Monkey
INTERPRETATION: Nutty, spicy cookies.

Both types of cookie had a spicy, nutty taste to them that complemented the chocolate. And their thin nature gave the cookies a nice firm crunch. But the high amount of sugar and butter resulted in cookies that would melt in the mouth with every bite. The closest comparison that I can think of would be if someone turned cotton candy into a chocolate cookie.

The cookies seemed to taste the best as pizzelles. They had a light, crispy, airy quality that I never experienced in a cookie before. I honestly regret not being able to photograph the many air pockets that filled the pizzelles. With that said, getting the batter portions and the timing right is very difficult.

If you decide to bake them in an oven, try pairing the finished cookies with something like ice cream or cheesecake.

I'm flattered to have something so tasty-looking associated with me :hfive:

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 11, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm going to check if the strawberry soda water I have at home is still good. If so, I'm going to make my own Prairie Fire before we learn the real recipe.

It's, uh, not going to be pleasant.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I would like to submit Frog Eye Salad :frogc00l:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

since it's going to be a couple weeks, if you want to post now about the rest of what you're going to put in it, i can post some explanations of the real thing. but if you want to wait for that, that's cool, too :)

I'll wait. I'm not 100% on the spices, as they're going to be a 'to taste' thing to get the flavor right.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Prairie Fire of Doom

The Prairie Fire, in my mind, evokes two things: the harsh life out in the wilderness, and burning.

* 2 ounces of 190 proof alcohol
* 1 big drop/squirt of hot sauce
* Strawberry soda water to fill the glass

As you can see, this is indeed 95% ABV Everclear. As this is illegal to sell in my native Florida, I bought the bottle on a trip to New York City. It feels very, very cold when you spill a little on your hand.

I actually have a video for my reactions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPSjeu-LUpw

Surprisingly, it's not as bad as I expected. Despite being equivalent to around 4 shots of whiskey in this glass, the soda water does such a good job concealing it that you could be forgiven for thinking this was non-alcoholic. Everclear is incredibly insidious in that way, and I can see bad things happening from it.

The hot sauce was perhaps a bridge too far. It doesn't really add spiciness in the amount I used (though admittedly it's not incredibly hot), but adds enough flavor to make this taste odd. Strawberry and hot sauce don't mix very well.

Amazingly, I actually got quite close to the real thing! It seems my big mistake was bothering to water it down.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Either you guys don't understand that a major part of making drinks is chilling them or you're content drinking room-temp cocktails without ice, and I cannot decide which is weirder.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I want to bake an experimental recipe again, but don't know which suggestion to take. Can anyone recommend something?

Edit: I'll also need to work on the consistency of the pizzellles when I revisit Bollocks Monkey, their density and crispiness really varied between the first successful three and the last successful three.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 12, 2018

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

poop dood posted:

Either you guys don't understand that a major part of making drinks is chilling them or you're content drinking room-temp cocktails without ice, and I cannot decide which is weirder.

Really don't think a Prarie Fire is supposed to be a chilled drink, seeing as it is whiskey, and often served flaming.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

poop dood posted:

I didn't mention this, but the strawberry soda water I actually pulled straight out of the fridge so the drink was cool by the time I actually got to swigging it. That being said, a legit Prairie Fire is almost identical to my drink but without soda water and a higher proportion of hot sauce and I can't imagine that being on ice.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Yeah, a real prairie fire is basically just a 21st birthday shot, so warm rail liquor is pretty appropriate. I usually see it as cheap tequila with a bunch of tabasco.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Alberta Premium and Tabasco, accept no substitutes.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Invisible Ted posted:

I will take the Hot Brown!

I'd also like to suggest the Cheese Ball and Minnesotan Sushi.

E: Also suggesting Sloppy Joes.

Have we done the loose meat sandwich yet? I like mine on the whitest white bread possible.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Doom Rooster posted:

Oh I know that you suggested it, I was just calling you out for complaining when you have not completed anything yourself.
But I didn't claim anything! Also there's nothing in the OP that says you have to do something before yelling at other people :colbert:

Having said that I'll look over the list, I know a lot of this stuff either through osmosis or because I looked it up when it was posted out of curiosity and see what weird poo poo I can come up with.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
remember the disgusting mug of ridiculous bullshit that that one low-carb goon ate and actually posted a picture of (I think it was the same goon who needed lipitor at 23 or something)? my imagination of fat gravy was exactly that, although i can't find the drat picture. so i aimed to replicate it

some, but not all of the ingredients, excepting tarragon which I made an executive decision not to add

i started with a piece of salt pork. the aim was to get as many possible variations of fat into this thing

cut it up a little bit, let it render with water added

cream and oil

special secret colored ingredient

whereupon it all went to poo poo. you see, i had neglected to think of the fact that cream, in fact, has a lotta loving water in it. also, i added way too much flour. so instead of turning into a proper loving roux for a gravy, this loving thing turned into a dough literally on the pan

i tried to save it by adding oil, but just loving lol

give up try again

oil roux. sorry, no more salt pork left. you will note that it's oil and flour only, and a noncrazy amount of flour this time

wait for it to brown a bit properly before adding the drat cream

the secret ingredient is soy lecithin. you see, i wished to replicate the disgusting slimy scum on top of the gravy. that means it foams beautifully and unhealthily. edible soap, what a miracle heaven-sent

after the foaming

in the mug. ironically, this mug has a pic from my college major, which was full of a bunch of smarty smarty pants. learned how to optimize neural nets in in-major classes, poo poo like that. great mug for use as a monument to bad decisions

you may ask, "where is butter, the glorious king of fats?" well, a certain something needed to be done a la minute

after i poured it out onto a plate

on some bread with jam on the side

taste-wise, this was basically a roundabout way of making something that tastes exactly like 40% oil, 60% browned butter. can't taste the cream but i bet that's part of the butter taste

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Why not just use the fat dough to make a pancake or something?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

RandomPauI posted:

i'd already ate dinner
no leaven (altho does the soy lecithin make a quick leaven? don't actually know about that)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

That you slather in the fat gravy! Don't care if you already ate. LIPITOR NOW!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

<shameful order of gravy operations violation>

Fat, then flour, then liquid. Always.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Liquid Communism posted:

Fat, then flour, then liquid. Always.

I knew that, i just figured that the cream was fatty enough to not count as liquid

That was not the case

E: upon investigation, i figured out that i wasnt using my usual dehydrated double cream, which turns to butter if you look at it wrong

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Doom Rooster
I can't be sure of the sex of the chicken I bought, but I'd be surprised if it was male. My guess is 100% of the whole chickens for sale at Quebec Metro stores are hens, but whatever. I don't know anybody who owns a rooster, never mind one they want to sacrifice to the Internet (which makes you stupid, remember).

I've roasted a few birds before, but not for a while, and never after (half) marinating, but I found an internet recipe that instructed me to break the sternum and ribs to facilitate submergence in the marinade.
I've taken a great deal of first aid training, and they usually remind me that CPR will break ribs. So I used the same technique.
Doom Rooster Vid by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

The marinade is what gives this basic roast chicken the veneer of Doom Rooster:
Doom Rooster Robe Noire by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

"Doom" is old-English for Judgement, so I put together a kind of theme based around an execution. Or something. I marinated the bird in half of the big bottle of beer:
Doom Rooster Marinating by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
... and drank the other half. 7.5% alcohol by volume gives a decent buzz and helps remove any hesitations associated with blatantly applying a stupid theme to a simple recipe.

After around 20 hours in the beer in the fridge, I pulled out the ersatz rooster:
Doom Rooster Raw by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Doom Rooster Marinated by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
You can see the cuts I made to help the beer penetrate, and the high-water-mark (I wanted to drink the beer, not just use it for marinade, so the bird didn't get completely submerged. I'd beg you not to judge me, but that's the theme here so go ahead and give me the stink-eye).

Small Fry Dirt Bean
Bird in oven, I turned to the beans. I have no idea what Small Fry Dirt Bean is really supposed to be, but I just threw together a bunch of different beans, along with a small onion. I have too many dry black beans, so I soaked those last night and simmered them today. I have no pictures of this - it's just a pot of beans.
The other ingredients for this are
1/2 can of 6-bean mixture, leftover from last night.
1 can of "Old Fashioned" style baked beans with (a miniscule amount of) pork
1 small onion
1/2 cup (dry) black beans
and a bunch of stuff from the spice cupboard, I've got some old, boring black pepper I'm trying to use up. I know I put in thyme, and some garlic powder, too, but I can't remember the full list.
Then I fried it all together - for the "fry" in the name.
Doom Rooster Small Fry Dirt Bean by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Funeral Potatoes
In my more lucid moments, I suppose this is the name for a potato recipe that is brought to funerals / the home of the family of the deceased in the US Midwest as one of those neighbourly things. Kind of an alternative to a casserole, just something mostly made out of spuds to save the grieving widow or whoever from the need to cook. That sounds either terribly boring or horrifying, if the actual funeral potatoes are some kind of gelatin salad thing the US Midwest invented in the 1950's.

Either way, beyond my ken. So I decided to carve potatoes into coffin shapes.
Doom Rooster Potatoes Before by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Lots of oil, some more of that old ground black pepper, and some tarragon mainly for colour.

Doom Rooster Potatoes After by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
After 30 minutes in the oven, when I flipped them - they got 1 hour total.

At this point the bird was done, so I cranked it to broil and gave it a couple of minutes to blacken. I probably should have let it go longer for that real Doom-y effect. Oh well.
Doom Rooster Crispy by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Doom Rooster Done by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

I live alone so there's nobody but me to judge this.
Doom Rooster Meal by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

and I ate it while watching the Halloween episode of Best of the Worst
Doom Rooster Halloween in January by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Judgement
It's a roast chicken, it's good. Plus crispy roast potatoes, so 2/3 of this are basically fool-proof (go ahead and prove me wrong, I want to see you burn your kitchen down with some crazy blackened bird).
The beans turned out surprisingly good - I was expecting just a boring mush of tasteless bean goo, but they were pretty tasty. Overall, would do Halloween in January again.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
:bisonyes:

That looks loving delicious.

Your potatoes made me think of a dish that I make all the time but is not specific to a country and still isn't exactly obvious from the name: Fondant Potatoes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yay one of mine got done. Small fry dirt bean is literal translation of 小炒土豆, small fried potatoes. Basically just very small potatoes fried crispy with Chinese bacon, peppers, garlic, ginger, etc.

This is the real thing, imgur isn't loading to rehost: http://www.zhmc123.com/uploadfiles/11520_2016423174655179.jpg

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
coq a vin is disgusting because it's made with roosters. the cook time is designed to make it edible, but it's still pretty disgusting
you see ancient recipes calling for 6, 10 hours cooks with rooster. lol at doing that with a hen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bob dobbs is dead posted:

coq a vin is disgusting because it's made with roosters. the cook time is designed to make it edible, but it's still pretty disgusting
you see ancient recipes calling for 6, 10 hours cooks with rooster. lol at doing that with a hen

I've only had coq a vin once, at Balthazar in NYC. It was absolutely delicious and even had a distinctive red wine taste to the chicken.

• Locked thread