Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Republicans posted:

Upsell healthy poo poo.

Can I add some gluten free lettuce to that Mac & Cheese for you for just $2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Naelyan posted:

Can I add some gluten free kale to that Mac & Cheese for you for just $2?

FTFY. Jesus, after working for that co-op deli, I never want to see kale again. I am so happy to work at a place that takes pride in the fact that our biscuits are made with lard. If we ever got kale (which would happen solely because our produce guy hosed up and delivered it by accident), I guarantee my boss would do something like wilt it in bacon fat. 'Swhy I love her.

Yeah, I don't know if it's post-holiday slump, people swearing off lard biscuits for New Year resolutions, or the fact that it's cold as gently caress (our outside walk-in feels downright toasty compared to the ambient temps), but today was the slowest brunch in my store's history. drat shame, this week's menu was awesome, but hey, more mussels in wine for me!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I had three tables in a row tip me almost exactly the same despite each successive table ordering half as much food, I guess it sorta evened out.

The one that tipped way under average was also way more work than the over tipper because of loving course it is.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Republicans posted:

Upsell healthy poo poo.

Screw you, the panna cotta is gluten free, high in calcium, and the raspberry sauce is full of vitamin c and antioxidants. Healthiest thing I'll bring to the table that isn't red wine.

edit: so almost everything in our walk in froze solid this week, including all the water in the flower vases and holy hell did that stink while we waited for the ice to melt enough to yank them out and toss them. Tossing all that produce was sad but at least it was out in the dumpster and not reeking in the dish station all night.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 8, 2018

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Hi all, as always I appreciate everything you all do in the day to day life of the restaurant industry (my two years in the industry were enough to tell me this wouldn't be my career path); I have a question: what are your typical interview questions? I'm a teacher and at the beginning of the next quarter I'm teaching a class on career readiness. My students are currently seniors who are most likely joining the work force, and I figure that food is one of the options that will be widely available to them when they graduate in June. As such, I figure that the least I can do for them is to have some knowledge of questions employers will ask them so they can get their foot in the door and start on something.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Do you have any criminal convictions? (no)

Who is the most important person in the restaurant? (the guest)

Are you drooling on yourself right now? (hope not)

When can you start? (immediately)

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Carlosologist posted:

Hi all, as always I appreciate everything you all do in the day to day life of the restaurant industry (my two years in the industry were enough to tell me this wouldn't be my career path); I have a question: what are your typical interview questions? I'm a teacher and at the beginning of the next quarter I'm teaching a class on career readiness. My students are currently seniors who are most likely joining the work force, and I figure that food is one of the options that will be widely available to them when they graduate in June. As such, I figure that the least I can do for them is to have some knowledge of questions employers will ask them so they can get their foot in the door and start on something.

I hire a lot of high school servers and early university students at a upscale retirement home. After summarizing the applicants job experience (so I can try to tell if they're lying before wasting my time calling around) I usually ask if they like food as a jumping off point. Yes it is a dumb question but I use it to gauge their communication skills and ability to be enthusiastic. A one word yes or no tells me they don't care that much about the job or don't have the soft skills to express it. Unless they're trying to be mega respectful (kids from Latin families do this sometimes), which will melt away later in the interview if you make it a conversation.

I try to turn it into a conversation from there striking all the bullet points I have in my head. I also have to avoid all the anti discrimination pitfalls. I can't ask "do you have a car" but I can ask "do you anticipate any transportation difficulties in making it to work on time?" This is why corporate conversations are so weird.

We want someone who will show up, work well with others and basically give a drat. Any questions about their extra curricular activities (bands, sports, etc) translate to "okay but this job is going to be your priority right? RIIIIIIGHT?!? You may not pay rent yet but you're working alongside people who do and we count on you, GOT IT!?!?!?"

Hope that helps.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

most places i don’t think you can ask about criminal history anymore, it counts as discrimination

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Federal law allows it though you are not supposed to make discriminatory hiring based on it. Like you can't ask everyone whether they have a felony conviction, then refuse to hire all the black people with convictions while you hire white cons.

e. but my response was a joke one, BBQ Dave's is much better.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 8, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That's not discrimination based on criminal history, that's discrimination based on race, which duh is mega illegal

Recent state law is more restrictive in terms of what you can ask, when, and what decisions you can base on criminal history. Definitely check that out if you're hiring.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

That's not discrimination based on criminal history, that's discrimination based on race, which duh is mega illegal

Yeah it's more complex than that and involves burdens of proof, constitutional standards, etc. But you can require people to answer the question and you can use it to make hiring decisions under certain circumstances. Your facially-neutral decisions just can't have a discriminatory effect on protected classes like race.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
A week in, any Ontario folks in here- how are your restaurants handling the wage transition? Work for a sorta chain and they focus primarily on speed of service and penny pinching, so they cut the hours of my staff by a disgusting amount, all managers in-store lost the ability to schedule, and now a guy who doesn't know our staff is handling the entire store schedules.

Three of our stronger servers are looking for new jobs, our cooks that were making higher than minimum didn't get a pay bump to match so are looking for new jobs with less responsibility for same wage-

It's a mess.

Please tell me other places still treat their folk with dignity.

Also just found out that they haven't paid our plumber in six months so he's straight up refusing to come in to repair my dish pit.

I feel like this ship is made of red flags.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

virinvictus posted:

A week in, any Ontario folks in here- how are your restaurants handling the wage transition? Work for a sorta chain and they focus primarily on speed of service and penny pinching, so they cut the hours of my staff by a disgusting amount, all managers in-store lost the ability to schedule, and now a guy who doesn't know our staff is handling the entire store schedules.

Three of our stronger servers are looking for new jobs, our cooks that were making higher than minimum didn't get a pay bump to match so are looking for new jobs with less responsibility for same wage-

It's a mess.

Also just found out that they haven't paid our plumber in six months so he's straight up refusing to come in to repair my dish pit.

I'm in Alberta, I work as a server, we changed minimum to $14 a year ago, and it moves to $15 next year.

The place I work at pays more than minimum wage, and we all got an hourly pay bump to match when the law changed.

You work at a garbage place, update your resume.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

virinvictus posted:

It's a mess.

That part alone tells me that you work at a lovely place run by morons, get out ASAP.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

we got hit legally for asking about criminal history on our app form and all the paperwork called it a discrimination case

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

virinvictus posted:

It's a mess.

That's loving ridiculous, they've known about the increase for awhile now, haven't they? I'm not sure when it was first passed but Ontario didn't decide to do this a month ago right?

I read it's an increase of about 20 dollars per employee per day, if that completely fucks up the profitability of a company, that wasn't a successful company to begin with. And the whole not paying the plumber leads me to believe they were bleeding money before the wage hike.

Something to keep in mind about these large minimum wage increases is that the reason they're so large is that there hasn't been an increase in so long for some parts of America (and I guess Canada too). Federal minimum wage was 1.60 in 1968, if it had been stapled to inflation then it would be 11.49, which is lower than it is in lots of large cities, but way higher than the 7.25 it is in large parts of America.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

My niece works at Dairy Queen, hours have been super slashed. She's also not allowed to call in sick, and now has to find her own replacement in case of illness. :wtc:

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Skwirl posted:

That's loving ridiculous, they've known about the increase for awhile now, haven't they? I'm not sure when it was first passed but Ontario didn't decide to do this a month ago right?

I read it's an increase of about 20 dollars per employee per day, if that completely fucks up the profitability of a company, that wasn't a successful company to begin with. And the whole not paying the plumber leads me to believe they were bleeding money before the wage hike.

Something to keep in mind about these large minimum wage increases is that the reason they're so large is that there hasn't been an increase in so long for some parts of America (and I guess Canada too). Federal minimum wage was 1.60 in 1968, if it had been stapled to inflation then it would be 11.49, which is lower than it is in lots of large cities, but way higher than the 7.25 it is in large parts of America.

What makes it worse is that my store clears about 3.5m$-4m$ per year- so they can definitely afford the increase. We only have three salaried managers, two dishwashers, two bartenders and maybe 15 servers and 10 cooks.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Trebuchet King posted:

we got hit legally for asking about criminal history on our app form and all the paperwork called it a discrimination case

Interesting. What state were you in? Was it a civil lawsuit, or EEOC, or some other government investigation?

Anyone can allege anything in a lawsuit, though.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Interesting. What state were you in? Was it a civil lawsuit, or EEOC, or some other government investigation?

Anyone can allege anything in a lawsuit, though.

i’m in dc

i’m just the lowest level office peon so idk the details, but we had actually updated the application to one without the question...we just forgot to pull the old ones out from behind the bar. i think it basically fizzled from there.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The General posted:

My niece works at Dairy Queen, hours have been super slashed. She's also not allowed to call in sick, and now has to find her own replacement in case of illness. :wtc:

Hahahah. They're trying to cut staff. That's textbook DQ.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

The General posted:

If she's in Ontario, that's now straight up illegal under the new laws. New legislation mandates more allowable sick days per employee and tighter restrictions on when a business is allowed to deny it.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm in Kitchener/Waterloo, and every one of my cooks is getting a raise, whether they were under $14, at it exactly before the jump, or higher. I was actually expecting just a nominal bump myself if anything, and was told just a couple days ago that I'm getting a 10% raise. I do have to cut a few hours, but it's mostly "no one is allowed to work overtime anymore", and the only full shift that I cut was my own (because I was into a dozen or more overtime hours a week), so every one of my people is pretty happy. We increased our menu prices a couple months ago and will be doing so again with a menu change in about another month, and after that we should be good, provided sales keep up how we're expecting.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Naelyan posted:

If she's in Ontario, that's now straight up illegal under the new laws. New legislation mandates more allowable sick days per employee and tighter restrictions on when a business is allowed to deny it.

I'll let her know, but odds are it won't do anything. She's young, and definitely not down with starting anything with her boss. Not that I am any better. I am well aware that doing training at home (as told to by my boss) is still work training and I should get paid for it. But I still did some of my modules at home because it'll just lead to getting fired. Or getting to keep my job, but wishing I was fired.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

The General posted:

I'll let her know, but odds are it won't do anything. She's young, and definitely not down with starting anything with her boss. Not that I am any better. I am well aware that doing training at home (as told to by my boss) is still work training and I should get paid for it. But I still did some of my modules at home because it'll just lead to getting fired. Or getting to keep my job, but wishing I was fired.

How well do you like your current job and how available are jobs at decent places in town? Because "I know it's illegal but they'll fire me if I don't do it" is the kind of statement that sets off red flags in my head and makes me think a person should consider applying elsewhere.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I'm in Seattle for 2 days, where should I eat/drink/get high?

Had Ba Bar last night, some of the best noodles I've had, chatted with the owner, cool dude, told me to explore the Chinatown area.

Is there any tourist-y things I should do?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Re: asking about convictions. Doesn't matter because when HR runs the background check they'll just say the person is unhireable, not tell you why for liability reasons, and you don't hire them.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Re: asking about convictions. Doesn't matter because when HR runs the background check they'll just say the person is unhireable, not tell you why for liability reasons, and you don't hire them.

Not all of us have HR departments or regularly run background checks on potential employees.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Naelyan posted:

Not all of us have HR departments or regularly run background checks on potential employees.

But those of us that do hate it. So many people with 10+ year old DUIs refused :/

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I'm in Seattle for 2 days, where should I eat/drink/get high?

Had Ba Bar last night, some of the best noodles I've had, chatted with the owner, cool dude, told me to explore the Chinatown area.

Is there any tourist-y things I should do?

What do you like and where are you staying? Chinatown's got some solid eats for cheap. Kedai Makan on Capitol Hill has fantastic Malaysian. Junebaby is getting some great press right now, haven't been myself. Bar del Corso is always great for fancier pizza and Italian small plates. Uncle Ike's is a fun weed shop. Carkeek Park is really beautiful with tons of trails through wooded sections and a big beach with a great view of Puget Sound. You could take a ride on a ferry, maybe to Bainbridge Island where you could eat at Hitchcock.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Thoht posted:

What do you like and where are you staying? Chinatown's got some solid eats for cheap. Kedai Makan on Capitol Hill has fantastic Malaysian. Junebaby is getting some great press right now, haven't been myself. Bar del Corso is always great for fancier pizza and Italian small plates. Uncle Ike's is a fun weed shop. Carkeek Park is really beautiful with tons of trails through wooded sections and a big beach with a great view of Puget Sound. You could take a ride on a ferry, maybe to Bainbridge Island where you could eat at Hitchcock.

All of these recommendations are spot on, especially Hitchcock on Bainbridge. In addition, Le Pichet is a fantastic little French place, my favorite restaurant in Seattle.

Sushi Kashiba is the best sushi you'll have in Seattle, perhaps on the west coast. I'm partial to Momiji as a good second choice, but you should get sushi while you're here. Seattle Fish Guys on 23rd and Jackson has the best poke here (tuna), poke being the latest Seattle food fad that pushed out all the teriyaki joints.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
Quote is not edit.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

But those of us that do hate it. So many people with 10+ year old DUIs refused :/

I’m guessing DUI in Texas is a criminal offense. In New Jersey it’s a traffic offense so it wouldn’t show up on a background check, only if they ran your MVR. Interestingly enough it’s also a zero point ticket in NJ.

I work in the transportation industry so those people get denied anyway but it seems bizarre to me that you’re not qualified to cook eggs because of it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Thoht posted:

I'll gladly eat anything, we're staying at an airbnb off 12th Ave near Jackson St. Went to Bainbridge yesterday, that was pretty fun. Wandered around Pike's Market, bought myself a nice little Tojiro petty at that cutlery shop. All the food I've had so far has been fantastic, gonna get some sushi today for sure, and I want to try some sourdough from the area.

Thanks for the recs duders

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wisconsin under the Fitzwalkerstan regime is very severely hosed up, but I'll give them points for not going after employment laws yet (outside of some very particular exceptions if the job is bonded, it's still highly illegal in this state to use someone's arrest or conviction history in a hiring decision).

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Well poo poo, the local Sam's Club is closing. Where am I gonna get cheap plastic wrap and an Icee in the same place now?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Republicans posted:

Well poo poo, the local Sam's Club is closing. Where am I gonna get cheap plastic wrap and an Icee in the same place now?

My friend, have you heard of Costco? Replace the Icee with the best brats for cheap around and there you go.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

iospace posted:

My friend, have you heard of Costco? Replace the Icee with the best brats for cheap around and there you go.

Not always an option. We have a Sam's Club in town, but no Costco. The Sam's APPEARS to be staying open, so there's that.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

iospace posted:

Yeah but the Sam's Club was closer to work and wasn't ridiculously crowded (which is probably why it closed). Cash & Carry is the next-closest option and their prices aren't nearly as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

But I thought the massive loving tax cut we just gave giant corporations was going to create jobs?