Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
EDIT: Ignore this post, thread is now live.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
what if there was an evil LP called letsplay.exe and it put ghosts in your computer?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Putty posted:

what if there was an evil LP called letsplay.exe and it put ghosts in your computer?

Let's play dot execute? I'm against the death penalty, Putty.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Putty, are you trying to tell us something? Are your LPs haunted?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
he's pitching his OC for the new megaman battle network game

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Is the ghost the lper? That’s what I downloaded when i open the exe file, right?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
enable administrative privileges to watch in HD

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Coolguye posted:

he's pitching his OC for the new megaman battle network game

LetsPlayMan.EXE, his special move is throwing jpegs of San Andreas and NieR at you

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
https://giant.gfycat.com/DelayedSecondhandAsiaticlesserfreshwaterclam.webm

No OP yet, test post here.

Right now my big worry is sprinkling the gifs throughout the updates. Currently I'm trying to upload them to gfycat and embedding them into the posts, but I'm not so certain that that's the best angle and I'm not even positive if it's going to work on the scale I have it right now. I could also try uploading to imgur and using their gifv files.

Generally the files are each hovering around 2 MBs, so I could probably turn them into gif files myself, but I'm not sure how with the tools that I have without them all coming out looking like rear end.

If anyone has any suggestions and/or they think they look fine as they are (the gfycat in this post is an example of how they would turn out), I'd appreciate the words.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Please don't embed multiple WEBMs into a post. More than I want to say 5 on a single page makes web browsers start crashing. Even before that point, they slow down quite a lot. I tried it a while back and my thread was basically unreadable within 2 updates. Nobody posted in it because their browsers crashed when they tried, which only compounded the problem.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Webms will also mess you up if you want to get your LP archived. I got a little webm-happy near the end of an LP I did without realizing just how slapdash the webm embedding functionality is. :(

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Right then, so webms are a no-go. Any word on gifv?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I believe gifvs will also be a problem for similar reasons. Fedule has explained it in the past better than I can. But the way that both are implemented on SA is a gigantic workaround where it's taking the raw MP4 file that makes up the webm/gifv and just embedding it into the site as a straight video. It's a problem inherent in the forums software in that it really wasn't designed to handle that sort of thing. Supposedly if/when the forums ever migrate to the new software, it will actually have native support for both.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I don't really recommend gifv since they'll autoplay and too many of them can really bog down loading and system performance for some people. You could probably get away with a couple per page, but after that...

The "best" solution I found was using small MP4 videos since they're more likely to work and you can simply have people play them manually, which kinda helps with loading/crashing issues since they won't autoplay. Due to how they're hacked into the forums, they need to be hosted on a site besides Imgur and Gyfcat to function that way (Pomf.cat and Mixtape.moe are your best bets for MP4 hosting). That said, I still had people that had issues with them working, and it's still going to be a pain to load for some people, so it's far from perfect.

Random update of me using around 10 MP4s if you want to see how it works out.

Honestly I don't really know if there is a good solution yet for replacing GIFs for modern games. Size-wise the alternatives are a lot smaller, but they also seem to bog systems down more and there's browser compatibility issues all over the place. I certainly wish we could get a good standard locked down here, though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Another problem with huge webms is that the break the tables.

But more to the point, don't just do a test post with the intro, do a typical update. How do you plan to handle the basketball sessions, for instance?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Another problem with huge webms is that the break the tables.

But more to the point, don't just do a test post with the intro, do a typical update. How do you plan to handle the basketball sessions, for instance?

Video's in the test post. Ctrl+F the word Gameplay.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Pyre

“[W]hat happens when you face defeat, and have to come back from it the next day, look your friends in the face, look yourself in the mirror, and deal with the consequences of the decisions you made[?]" (Source)

Pyre is the third title released by indie development team Supergiant Games, released on July 25th, 2017. It was announced in April of 2016.

Pyre had no design documents; no elevator pitches; there was no inspiration that had struck a Supergiant Games employee while he was walking his dog. Pyre was conceived when the developers were trying to think of a game idea based on a common fact of life: failure, and dealing with the consequences of it. It was conceived by Greg Kasavin during a brainstorming session with other Supergiant Games on what their next game should be.

Taking this concept to heart, an interesting facet of Pyre is that, at no point during your run, can you possibly ‘game over’ and be forced to start again. Pyre is a unique blend of fantasy sports and visual novel; the decisions you make during the Sportsball sections, especially whether you win or lose, will significantly affect the flow of the story and the way Pyre’s characters interact with you, the player.

The LP

First thing to note is that this LP will be a hybrid: as I said, the game is a blend between fantasy sports and visual novel. The visual novel parts will be done with screenshots and hand-typed transcripts, while the gameplay will be done in videos. The game also includes a number of cute and/or gorgeous animated sections during the visual novel parts, and I will attempt to fit in animation where I can, marked with a “Gfy” link beneath still pictures.

: Any script succeeding this icon is the player, speaking in third person (“they all look toward you,” etc).
: Whereas any commentary succeeding this icon is by me, speaking about the game.

Like all Supergiant Games, the difficulty of the game is rather malleable by the player; on top of choosing a difficulty (which usually means how intense the AI can be during gameplay), the player can choose a number of items that boost their own performance, as well as choosing a number of inhibitors that either hinder them, or boost the enemy, in exchange for goodies, such as more experience.

To that end, I will be playing Pyre on the True Nightwing difficulty:

• ‘Heightened’ difficulty is the hardest setting the player can choose in the settings.
  • Titan Stars are, as I said, inhibitors that the game introduces as an option in order to make your gameplay more challenging. In a typical playthrough, the Titan Stars are entirely optional; on True Nightwing difficulty, some of them may be enforced.
  • ‘Enlightenment’ is another word for ‘experience points.’ It is harder to level up in True Nightwing mode.
  • In any other difficulty, Pyre allows you to restart any Sportsball match from the beginning, provided you don’t let it conclude first, if you don’t believe you’re going to win. This option is no longer available in True Nightwing mode: should I lose any match, I must accept the consequences.
  • The Book of Rites is purely for lore, and the White Lute is this game’s Sound Test. I’ll be interspersing the Book of Rites pages throughout the LP.
  • The Slugmarket is where we purchase the items that boost our own performance. We’ll be needing all the help we can get.
  • Feats of Glory are optional challenges that you can accomplish midmatch in order to get a little extra money. This is the only gimme that True Nightwing mode will be giving us.

Participation

The Rites can only be performed with three characters at a time. Naturally, we’ll be getting more than three over the course of the plot. Before every Rite, I’ll ask which characters we’d like to see perform in the Rite. The first character you vote for will be taking the lead in the Rite. That’s important information, which is why I bolded it.

While on the way to perform the next Rite, we may come across forks in our paths. They generally won’t have any significant change on the overall story, but they will provide minor buffs or debuffs to our characters. I won’t be holding a vote on every fork, since that would eat up a ton of time, but I will take the fork that features whoever the thread is currently, or has most recently, voted/voting for, if they’re available.

No spoilers, please.

Updates

test post
----------

I cleaned up the test post a little bit, and what I'm thinking of doing is posting still images instead of gifs or webms, and instead include a link that goes to said webm if the reader would also like to see some of the games animations on their own, so that their browser isn't overloaded by trying to load all of them at once.
The only exception being the very first one with the title, since I thought it might look rad to open the thread with that, but I can change it if necessary.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Quick question: earlier this year I had a partnership with PcSnob in doing a Heroes of Might and Magic 2 LP. We made it a long way, until real life got in the way for me and we let the thing fall into the archives by accident. However, I'm back and he is fortunately still willing ready and able.

Is it allowed to just repost everything and continue along where we left off so people without archives can read everything? Or is there a better way?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Darth TNT posted:

Quick question: earlier this year I had a partnership with PcSnob in doing a Heroes of Might and Magic 2 LP. We made it a long way, until real life got in the way for me and we let the thing fall into the archives by accident. However, I'm back and he is fortunately still willing ready and able.

Is it allowed to just repost everything and continue along where we left off so people without archives can read everything? Or is there a better way?

Reposting is standard procedure when you revive a thread from the archives. Just put the updates you've already done into the test poster so you don't start out with a million updates and then keep going as normal.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
So, I have a serious yen to play Football Manager again. I'm pretty sure we can't un-archive a thread, but what type of game should I create and what team should I start with?

Also, I know the FM14 LP was never finished, but I'd love to see it on LPArchive.org, if only until the end of my last season with Wrexham. Who could I speak with about that?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

habeasdorkus posted:

So, I have a serious yen to play Football Manager again. I'm pretty sure we can't un-archive a thread, but what type of game should I create and what team should I start with?

Also, I know the FM14 LP was never finished, but I'd love to see it on LPArchive.org, if only until the end of my last season with Wrexham. Who could I speak with about that?
baldurk, he runs the archive. I think there's a contact email address on the archive.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

habeasdorkus posted:

Read the OP. There's info in the first post.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Hey Let's Play, happy New Year! You're all a wonderful bunch of people who do awesome stuff and are why I keep posting here.

May 2018 be pretty alright for you!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
What about Jan-April you rear end? I'm sure May'll be fine, but will we even make it that far? :v:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:negative:

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

Honestly for this I would just say go with what team/league you feel like doing. If you can't decide I would make a thread/poll about it. If you do go through with a new LP, I would suggest getting FM 2018 since the Dynamics system seems like it would help add something to your writing.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm on a bunch of new hardware and all my settings got lost so I'm trying to make sure nothing is too far off as far as balancing in this video. I'm unfunny and I'll just have to take that tragedy to my grave, unfortunately :v:

Plane Lee's Climb to Dignity

Jet Li's Rise To Honor is a 2004 PS2 beat 'em up with a unique control style. All your face buttons are useless, hope you like your analog sticks and shoulder buttons! The gameplay is a bit simple but it's alright! The difficulty curves and lack of enemy distinction cause some frustration and some of the game mechanics are poorly implemented, but hey, I'll try to avoid getting too negative. I've played through recently so I'll manage! It's a fairly short kung fu adventure romp that tries to play like a movie. It kinda works! Plus I mean kicking people in the face never gets old???

Jet Li plays our hero, Kit Yun, a bodyguard/enforcer for a Hong Kong crime boss named Chiang. Events transpire that will take him from the waters of Hong Kong to the sunny shores of San Francisco, and then back again for a roaring finale! So please join me as we RISE TO HONOR!

Videos
1: The Story Begins, At The Beginning

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
All work in the Let's Play for Presidente! (Tropico 4!)

Tropico 4 is the 4th installment int he Tropico series, first created by PopTop Software, made by Haemimont Games and published in 2011. The game is essentially Tropico 3 with some improvements which did turn some people off, but in my opinion if you didn't get T3 then I highly suggest T4. And even if you got T3, grab T4 on a steam sale! Its great!

I remember nearly 15 years ago buying a "strategy bundle" disc from target for my PC, it had Stronghold (ironically, the game I was mostly interested in) and Tropico on it. Also had a demo of Age of Wonders 2. I loved the hell out of this disc, and its funny that the game I originally was interested in didn't survive, meanwhile AoW3 was made and we're closing on getting T6 in 2018.

In the Tropico series (minus 2, we don't talk about 2.) you play a dictator in a banana republic. You need to house and feed your subjects, educate them, provide them healthcare, entertainment and religion satisfaction. Or you don't and heavily militarize your country and oppress them!

T3 moved the series into the third dimension and added vehicles to the series. T4 adds in the ability to import goods from other countries. No gold to make jewelry with? Just import it! Don't wanna deal with farms? Import your food! Besides these points the game is very close to the first tropico game and I am fine with that, the first game was a lot of fun. Sometimes all you need to do is give a game a graphical face lift and iron out a few things to make a great game!

Audience Participation?

Outside of the first 2 missions, the audience will pick Presidente's profile. At the end of each mission I'll make a post saying what the gist of the next mission is and you all can decide on Presidente's background, rise to power and 3 traits. Pick whatever you think will help me in the mission (or pick the opposite!) and I'll give it a go!

Also some missions will have branches in how to progress, I'll leave it up to the thread to decide which way to go.

Will you be doing Modern Times?

Yes! I will be doing all of T4 and the Modern Times expansion campaigns. I may also do some of the scenarios that were included in the DLCs, we'll see.

Will you be naming citizens after goons?

For the most part no, however as a victory deal I will go ahead and name citizens after goons in the final missions for T4 and the Modern Times campaign. Just because I'm gonna be playing through, what, 35 missions? I can't be taking time to name people that many times over and over again :shepface:

Rise to Power
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=150081

(Is this first update a bit on the long side?)

Leal fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 8, 2018

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
I sent a request to Baldurk to have a thread archived back in November, but haven't heard back yet. Do I need to worry about the thread going into the SA archives before it can be collected?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Cool Ghost posted:

I sent a request to Baldurk to have a thread archived back in November, but haven't heard back yet. Do I need to worry about the thread going into the SA archives before it can be collected?

I wouldn't think so. LP forum seems to have dodged most of the archiving/thread pruning issues that plagued for a while and he has archives in case it does fall in.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'll take no news as good news, thread posted

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845902

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Also baldurk sometimes might take a couple months or so to archive LPs due to real life stuff or whatever else. I assume that's the case here since the archive hasn't been updated in a couple months.

I wouldn't worry about it for now.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Sounds like I don't need to worry, then. Thanks for the help.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Leal posted:

I'll take no news as good news

no news is always good news, woo!

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

So, a bit of an odd question which probably doesn't have a straight answer. What would be a good way to invoke posts in my threads? I know I can't make people post or anything, but it I notice my threads will usually get hundreds, maybe thousands of views, but very little audience participation or feedback. Is there anything I should do to try and fix this?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Not really? Sometimes people just don't have a lot to talk about for a given game unless something ridiculous happens.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
do a Warhammer 40k LP

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

So, a bit of an odd question which probably doesn't have a straight answer. What would be a good way to invoke posts in my threads? I know I can't make people post or anything, but it I notice my threads will usually get hundreds, maybe thousands of views, but very little audience participation or feedback. Is there anything I should do to try and fix this?

Success in that metric is often fickle and hard to explain. Sometimes it comes down to what game you've decided to LP and when or what you do with it. For example, a straight LP of Wind Waker HD probably won't be a big draw for people because Wind Waker has been done to death and discussed to death elsewhere. I mean, the last two people who took a crack it Wind Waker were Geop and Artix, so you can look to them to get some ideas and analyze their degrees of success with those threads.

For starters, both of them brought in a crew of guest commentators to liven the videos up. Geop had Vicas, Kuvo, and PanzerSkank at his back, while Artix had ChaosArgate and FaerieFortune along for the ride. Next up, Geop came into Wind Waker with a sizable baked in audience earned from doing poo poo like Assassin's Creed I/II, Dark Souls, and his stint as a mod. Artix, meanwhile, was LPing the Chaos Mode romhack of Wind Waker, where all sorts of insane and random poo poo happened in each video as he struggled to play it and Fae and Argate laughed at him, so that too fostered much thread discussion--to say nothing of the fact that Artix too also worked his rear end off doing Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2, and Ocarina of Time: Chaos Mode and dragged his own built-in audience into WWCM.

I personally have had a moderate degree of success in fostering audience participation with my various Ace Combat threads because in addition doing the gameplay videos, I've been approaching the LPs as something of an ongoing history lesson and examination of the world the games take place in, Strangereal, often from an in-universe perspective. So a feedback loop kind of builds up where crazy poo poo happens in the game, I talk about it in the update posts, people react to it and speculate on things and get hyped for what's coming next, another crazy thing happens that tops the last one, I talk about it, people react to it, and on and on. And again, this has been a rolling thing through five separate threads now. And I've had people who came in fresh at the start of Ace Combat Zero two years ago who were still with me as we rounded out Ace Combat 6 last October going "gently caress, this series never stops amazing me."

So in my personal experience, I find that effort breeds results. There's a reason one of the major bullet points in the new Rules Thread says "show us that you care." Because yeah, a link to a video and maybe a paragraph talking about it sometimes isn't enough to kindle the kind of debate or feedback you're looking for. You get what you give, to quote the New Radicals.

If you're looking to build an audience, a cheap and dirty way to do that is to put yourself out there as a guest commentator on other people's stuff. I got kinda lucky because the two things I did out of the gate were Shadows of the Empire, which spawned the legend of Dash Rendar, and then White Knight Chronicles, which gave us the cautionary tale of Leonard's epic failure, but the two big breaks I got were guesting on Lazyfire's LP of Call of Duty 4, and Artix's LP of Final Fantasy XIII. Putting myself out there meant that new people who might not have been paying attention to SotE or WKC might have been interested to see what I or Blind Sally were gonna do next, which was Ace Combat and some lovely RTS SSLP, I forget what one it was.

Either way, it was something I took to heart and I make it a point now that whenever I have a guest commentator on for anything I do, I always make sure I properly credit who they are and what other stuff they've done or are working on in case anyone is interesting in checking their work out for themselves. Which, again, I've had happen. People have jumped over to other people's LPs because I've said "oh by the way, this person is doing whatever, check it out." Or at least I like to assume so because I have a massive ego and like to take credit for stuff I have no right to. I am a very stable genius with a huge probation button.

So I dunno if that helped or not, I hope it does in some way. Just don't LP a WarHammer 40k game.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Success in that metric is often fickle and hard to explain. Sometimes it comes down to what game you've decided to LP and when or what you do with it. For example, a straight LP of Wind Waker HD probably won't be a big draw for people because Wind Waker has been done to death and discussed to death elsewhere. I mean, the last two people who took a crack it Wind Waker were Geop and Artix, so you can look to them to get some ideas and analyze their degrees of success with those threads.

For starters, both of them brought in a crew of guest commentators to liven the videos up. Geop had Vicas, Kuvo, and PanzerSkank at his back, while Artix had ChaosArgate and FaerieFortune along for the ride. Next up, Geop came into Wind Waker with a sizable baked in audience earned from doing poo poo like Assassin's Creed I/II, Dark Souls, and his stint as a mod. Artix, meanwhile, was LPing the Chaos Mode romhack of Wind Waker, where all sorts of insane and random poo poo happened in each video as he struggled to play it and Fae and Argate laughed at him, so that too fostered much thread discussion--to say nothing of the fact that Artix too also worked his rear end off doing Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2, and Ocarina of Time: Chaos Mode and dragged his own built-in audience into WWCM.

I personally have had a moderate degree of success in fostering audience participation with my various Ace Combat threads because in addition doing the gameplay videos, I've been approaching the LPs as something of an ongoing history lesson and examination of the world the games take place in, Strangereal, often from an in-universe perspective. So a feedback loop kind of builds up where crazy poo poo happens in the game, I talk about it in the update posts, people react to it and speculate on things and get hyped for what's coming next, another crazy thing happens that tops the last one, I talk about it, people react to it, and on and on. And again, this has been a rolling thing through five separate threads now. And I've had people who came in fresh at the start of Ace Combat Zero two years ago who were still with me as we rounded out Ace Combat 6 last October going "gently caress, this series never stops amazing me."

So in my personal experience, I find that effort breeds results. There's a reason one of the major bullet points in the new Rules Thread says "show us that you care." Because yeah, a link to a video and maybe a paragraph talking about it sometimes isn't enough to kindle the kind of debate or feedback you're looking for. You get what you give, to quote the New Radicals.

If you're looking to build an audience, a cheap and dirty way to do that is to put yourself out there as a guest commentator on other people's stuff. I got kinda lucky because the two things I did out of the gate were Shadows of the Empire, which spawned the legend of Dash Rendar, and then White Knight Chronicles, which gave us the cautionary tale of Leonard's epic failure, but the two big breaks I got were guesting on Lazyfire's LP of Call of Duty 4, and Artix's LP of Final Fantasy XIII. Putting myself out there meant that new people who might not have been paying attention to SotE or WKC might have been interested to see what I or Blind Sally were gonna do next, which was Ace Combat and some lovely RTS SSLP, I forget what one it was.

Either way, it was something I took to heart and I make it a point now that whenever I have a guest commentator on for anything I do, I always make sure I properly credit who they are and what other stuff they've done or are working on in case anyone is interesting in checking their work out for themselves. Which, again, I've had happen. People have jumped over to other people's LPs because I've said "oh by the way, this person is doing whatever, check it out." Or at least I like to assume so because I have a massive ego and like to take credit for stuff I have no right to. I am a very stable genius with a huge probation button.

So I dunno if that helped or not, I hope it does in some way. Just don't LP a WarHammer 40k game.
So, one of the big things is I'm just playing the wrong games. Which is a shame since I'm just doing games I like. I did notice my Doki Doki LP had by far the biggest reaction of any of my LPs. My guess because the game was still in a fit of popularity when I decided to do it, and it's a very reaction-heavy game, and those that know what will happen probably want to see how a newbie reacts to some of the poo poo that goes on. And I'm afraid a lot of these names you're telling me are going over my head, but I assume the people you're talking about are popular around these parts.

As for the "show us you care" thing, I don't know what I should be doing in my posts then. Like in a number of LP threads I looked at, people will literally just post a link to their video and nothing else when they update. And I have tried in the past to ask people about stuff I covered in the video. Like "What did you think of X dungeon? I thought it was Y.", but that didn't bring about discussion either, so I dropped it.

I mean an audience would be nice. I'm not looking (or expecting) to be some big name that everyone here knows or something. I might look into co-commentating, but would a lot of people team up with a random guy no one here has heard of?

And I gotta know, what's with the 40k thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

One thing I noticed in your Paper Mario LP which I watched, and overall, enjoyed, is that you seem to approach the game in a very casual way. What I mean with that is that you enjoy playing through it, know the overall game progression - but you don't seem to go into detail very much considering plot and character details. I don't have an example ready, but one thing I noticed is that sometimes you'd go "This is character X, he wants Mario to do Y, but I don't really know why." Or "This is character X, he wants Mario to get him an ice cream, I think because he likes ice cream or something."

While in fact, I know that Paper Mario has a surprisingly detailed world where all those little details and reasons why characters do stuff are explained, either in dialogue with them or in dialogue with nearby NPCs. Quite often it felt to me like you didn't even bother finding out those world-building details, you just went with a guess from memory and that was it.

And if you don't seem to care about that stuff, why should I, you know?

So I personally would suggest you really become an expert on the games you LP. Either you show off all NPC dialogue on screen and talk about it, or you play ahead on a second file and use that for input for your commentary. While you're at it, if you find you have gaps in your gameplay knowledge/special weapon powers/stuff like that, go look it up in a guide or wiki. That kind of game mechanics details that a casual player might never bother with are interesting to me when I watch an LP.