Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

I was an enlisted Missile Combat Crew Member for the Titan-II ICBM in Wichita, KS (before they were deactivated).

This might be a little OSHA. It's my personal hardhat painted in "turtle" camouflage. It's also a bit scuffed up.

Sometimes when we were bored we'd have a contest to see who could skip their hardhat down the long cableway without hitting the sides. We called it Turtle Racing (hence my nice paint job).

I have fond memories of the Cold War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Thread suddenly pulled up!

Any OSHA stuff to share? Launch codes set to "1111" or somesuch?

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

Serephina posted:

Thread suddenly pulled up!

Any OSHA stuff to share? Launch codes set to "1111" or somesuch?

The only time it got really exciting was when I was doing a Daily Shift Verification Checklist in the silo. There was an extensive fire suppression system that was pressurized by a large electric motor and pump. I heard the motor try to start from two floors above it. The motor intermittently starting wasn't unusual, that day it made a loud angry groan instead. The bearings had frozen and the motor was angrily trying to do its job.

When we got to the correct floor it was shooting two-foot flames out the sides and still trying to turn. We got the breaker flipped off and blasted a couple extinguishers into its vents. It was a long alert shift with all the maintenance activity but we got our picture into an issue of Combat Crew magazine. The irony of the fire water system trying to burn down the silo was not lost on us.

Other than that it might have been the most fun and casual job I've ever had. Once we got to the site everyone changed clothes and just hung out for 24 hours. You could get away with a lot (barbeques, lots of TV, turning topside maintenance pits into swimming pools). Safe in the knowledge that NOBODY was going to show up for a surprise visit unless we wanted to let them in.

MutantBlue fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 15, 2018

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ugh. 10 minutes in, it repeats completely uncritically the myth that when they set off the Trinity bomb there was a concern that it would ignite the atmosphere and kill all life on earth. "And they did the test anyway."

I hope it gets better, because the book was great.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Well this is loving depressing.

Two brothers die after inhaling fumes while cleaning tank at central Queensland business

quote:

Two brothers have died after being overcome by fumes while cleaning inside a tank, in an incident that has left a tight-knit central Queensland community in shock.

Police said the men, Frank Vella, 52, and George Vella, 48, were found dead in the tank used to hold molasses, when emergency services arrived at their haulage business at about 8:30pm on Saturday.

Molasses tank fumes - cleaning products maybe? Or just oxygen displacement?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Judging from the first picture, the pilot probably commented on the way down how short the runway was, and the copilot went "yeah but it sure is wide."

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Sammus posted:

Judging from the first picture, the pilot probably commented on the way down how short the runway was, and the copilot went "yeah but it sure is wide."

Judging from the first picture, if I had been a passenger on that plane I definitely would have evacuated.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

This "car lands in second story of dental office" incident could have been so much worse.

https://twitter.com/KHOLMESlive/status/952721202270711809

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

96 Port Hub posted:

Judging from the first picture, if I had been a passenger on that plane I definitely would have evacuated.

... your bowels.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Say Nothing posted:

... your bowels.

:thejoke:

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Say Nothing posted:

... your bowels.

Yes, because you see, that would be a frightening situation and humans often void their bowels when faced with extreme fear. However, and this part is important, evacuate can also mean leaving the area to remove oneself from danger which, in my opinion, is sort of the crux of the entire joke. Thanks, I'll be here all week.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Looks like they zigged when they should've zagged.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

drat it!

https://i.imgur.com/ANtD1nl.mp4

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

MutantBlue posted:

I was an enlisted Missile Combat Crew Member for the Titan-II ICBM in Wichita, KS (before they were deactivated).

This might be a little OSHA. It's my personal hardhat painted in "turtle" camouflage. It's also a bit scuffed up.

Sometimes when we were bored we'd have a contest to see who could skip their hardhat down the long cableway without hitting the sides. We called it Turtle Racing (hence my nice paint job).

I have fond memories of the Cold War.

This owns a whole bunch thanks for posting

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Jet Jaguar posted:

This "car lands in second story of dental office" incident could have been so much worse.

https://twitter.com/KHOLMESlive/status/952721202270711809

Stuck the landing!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Phanatic posted:

Ugh. 10 minutes in, it repeats completely uncritically the myth that when they set off the Trinity bomb there was a concern that it would ignite the atmosphere and kill all life on earth. "And they did the test anyway."

I hope it gets better, because the book was great.

Sorry, forgot to add a warning about that. I pisses me off, too.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

That's... *not* a photoshop?!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ChesterJT posted:

Stuck the landing!

Extracting an impacted Altima is a major procedure, though. They'll probably have to drill and use gas.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Serephina posted:

That's... *not* a photoshop?!

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Moto42 posted:

Oh, They didn't need to survive to shoot back.

The USA has a similar system. For some reason I though it was called 'Spoilsport', but nope, just has a boring vaguely related title.

It's like mankind was (and still is) in the grips of some collective mental disorder.

That just pisses me off. Just take your knocks and die in nuclear hellfire. You lost. Why fire an automatic retaliatory strike when you're dead? You're dead. Don't fuckin matter. I can't properly articulate why it makes me so mad. It just does.

OSHA related maybe?: I work in criminal justice and the court house in my county is very old. You go up three flights of steps to get to the district attorney office or just 2 flights for the court clerk. The stairs spiral up with a big Ol' drop in the middle. A lady balanced her baby's carrier on the railing one day and turned to talk to someone, knocking the carrier with baby inside down three stories to the ground. The baby was fine. Just crying a lot. The railings are only waist high so I'm surprised more people haven't fallen over them. I almost fell off of one by accident. My fault entirely. I'm six and half feet tall so the railings come up to about mid thigh for me. I leaned backwards not even considering the height of the railings and probably would've fallen to my death if I hadnt bent forward and caught myself.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Untrustable posted:

That just pisses me off. Just take your knocks and die in nuclear hellfire. You lost. Why fire an automatic retaliatory strike when you're dead? You're dead. Don't fuckin matter. I can't properly articulate why it makes me so mad. It just does.

Nice try, Communist agent.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Untrustable posted:

Because if second strike capability wasn't a saber constantly rattled the human race wouldn't have made it through the 60s. Both sides were certain that the only thing keeping the other from shooting first was the threat that they could never do enough damage to keep from being taken down with them. But that couldn't be an idle threat because the first side to figure out the bluff dooms us all.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Just heard that the Jakarta stock exchange collapsed.

Not figuratively :(

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

:golfclap:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Memento posted:

Just heard that the Jakarta stock exchange collapsed.

Not figuratively :(

Yeah no kidding

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Hello. I love you.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Untrustable posted:

Because it's a deterrent?

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Beauty.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Untrustable posted:

Nobody that would willingly use nuclear weapons on another nation deserves to survive to do it again

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

spankmeister posted:

Yeah no kidding

That looks kind of like the Hyatt Regency walkway collapse.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Azhais posted:

Nobody that would willingly use nuclear weapons on another nation deserves to survive to do it again

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's okay to kill millions as long as you have the human decency to do it in reasonably-sized and -separated batches.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What's the Canadian version of a dixie horn?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Collateral Damage posted:

Sipping a Tom Horton's coffee loudly enough for another person in the room to hear it but still fairly quietly

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
While we're on the subject of nukes, did somebody say "unguided nuclear rocket?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIR-2_Genie

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBHyaAEAbP0

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Volcott posted:

While we're on the subject of nukes, did somebody say "unguided nuclear rocket?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIR-2_Genie

Still not as dumb as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Crockett_(nuclear_device)

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Someone say nuclear rockets?

That's not a nuclear rocket. THIS is a nuclear rocket!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pluto

Ram jet takes in air, unshielded reactor heats up air, radioactive thrust goes out the back.

[edit]
I kinda maybe sort of want to see this in action at least once before I die.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_salt-water_rocket

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTRrP71zDgg